• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SushiReese

Oct 30, 2017

Latest policy just announced on China central government State Council's official website, exact one month after governmental newspapers accused of video games as "spiritual opium" for teenagers.
New policy states that minors can only play games for one hour on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays between 8pm to 9pm.

Edit:
All Chinese game companies' shares prices in Hongkong immediately go down after the announcement.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
That sounds both unenforceable and extremely unpopular, but go ahead I guess.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
First reaction.... 3h per day isnt even that bad, still weird....
Second reaction was ....oh per week ? damn.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Wow they had to even restrict what time of day they could use to play. Well I guess if they're already being draconian there's not really a point in letting them choose when to spend their meager three hours.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
Wow that is extreme. Whats the reason behind this crackdown?

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Seems pretty extreme, and whether it won't just lead to people using other forms of entertainment like video streaming or social media to spent their free time.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow that is extreme. Whats the reason behind this crackdown?

The cited reason in the OP is 'game addiction'. But with the CCP's goals of social control and maximising their economy, my feeling this is a more ideological bent of pushing the youth into 'productive' ventures, with a ban meaning families will need to fill that void with other activities. A limit as restrictive as this definitely is making a point more than it's about public health.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Can they tell if you're using a VPN? Would ISP's snitch if you were to download a VPN?

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Instead of playing their favourite games, they will just watch streamers play their favourite games.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
That sounds.. archaic. And pointless, in the age of social media and gaming streams.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
My parents made this kind of limit when I was a kid. All it did was make me spend the time not playing instead thinking about playing and planning out meticulously what I was going to do to maximize my efficiency of play. I think it backfired.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
It blows my mind that Tencent's this enormous Chinese company that's getting their hands into every company overseas- while their own country is heavily curbing gaming among minors.

How did Tencent get so big, considering how China is when it comes to videogames?

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
For one hour AND between a specific time? lol damn. Glad I didnt grow up there.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
People ITT dont really know that its easily enforcable because minors often dont even have personal PCs that let you play most games, but play almost everything after school in Internet Bars.

On the other hand those bars most likely will find enough ways to circumvent it, because that would kill a lot of those.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
People ITT dont really know that its easily enforcable because minors often dont even have personal PCs that let you play most games, but play almost everything after school in Internet Bars.

Chinese here, this situation you described was years ago. Now mobile games dominate the market. Biggest online games in China right now are mobile games like Honor of Kings. Plus, nowadays China internet bars strictly requires proper ID.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
3 hours a week?!

Maybe this might trigger a future revolution from their youths lol.

MARVEL%20Future%20Revolution.jpg

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
If the social point system was bad enough from a human standpoint this is almost torture lol Absolutely disgusting

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Prohibition 2.0

People are going to find loopholes left and right, and even if they didn't, minors are just going to either spend their time seeking other forms of entertainment or getting angry at their governments.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
3 hours a week from 8 to 9 pm. They are going to find ways to somehow circumvent the time limit.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
It's going to be interesting reading internal engagement metrics.

Monetization will need to adapt to keep extracting wealth at the same or increased rates.