• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

transcript:
With Platinum Games having secured an investment from Tencent, which will allow the company to pursue a multi platform strategy for self developed IP, we should start to hear more about what they've been working on soon.

Interesting to see what they'll manage to make with this financial backing.

Edit:

Last edited:

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a tease when Platinum themselves have revealed all of this information and the reasoning for their partnership with TenCent is obvious and transparent.

A tease would be slyly hinting at what the game is.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm just excited to see platinum games finally being multiplatform again

like I own a switch and a ps4 so it hasn't bothered me particularly, but it's still cool to see nonetheless

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
I'm really happy for Platinum but at the same time I'm worried that multiplatform will mean everything sans Switch because of hardware limitations. Hope I'm wrong.

Mar 18, 2018
A mobile only free to play Action Combat MOBA
D6l8fu1.gif

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone who didn't buy The Wonderful 101 should be sent to the gulag.

I don't even care if you didn't own a Wii U. You failed humanity.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Give the people Wonderful 101 2

And new ips and all that

Edit: yeah anyone who didn't buy a Wii U to play w101 sure as shit don't deserve a port so I'm PRAYING that doesn't happen

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Wonderful 101 being ported to anything except Switch would be strange since that'd imply they bought the rights back from Nintendo. I get that they're bullish about making the revival happen but I don't think even Platinum would waste their capital to drag the IP out of that stranglehold when it has the most extreme of niche appeal. At best I suspect Nintendo will just let them port it to Switch, while the multi-platform strategy remains original IP.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
excited to see what they have in store. hopefully they don't forget about switch when it comes to their multiplat titles.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing its some kind of multiplayer third person action game but maybe they'll do something no one expects and make a card game.

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019
I'm really happy for Platinum but at the same time I'm worried that multiplatform will mean everything sans Switch because of hardware limitations. Hope I'm wrong.

Tencent has invested a lot in marketing Switch in China so there's a good chance the new game will come to Switch too.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't The Wonderful 101 IP owned by Nintendo?

Also where does that rumor comes from that P* is working on a port?
Platinum have wanted to port the game to Switch for a long time now and have basically been using social media to try drum up support for it but Nintendo's never been interested, so instead they've been trying to scout external partners and publishers to absolutely no avail. The thinking is that if Platinum now has the capital to self publish then they're likely able to put out a port by themselves, at least on Nintendo platforms.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
What other course of action would there be ? They arent securing outside funding to work on a exclusive or another companies IPs. Seemed like a no-brainer to me.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not greedy. I just need Wonderful 101 at 1080p/60 fps with no touchscreen stuff. Thats it, Kamiya.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The Wonderful 101 being ported to anything except Switch would be strange since that'd imply they bought the rights back from Nintendo. I get that they're bullish about making the revival happen but I don't think even Platinum would waste their capital to drag the IP out of that stranglehold when it has the most extreme of niche appeal. At best I suspect Nintendo will just let them port it to Switch, while the multi-platform strategy remains original IP.
If it allowed Platinum to buy back rights to all their original IP from Sega (Bayonetta, Vanquish, Madworld/AR, Infinite Space) and Nintendo (Astral Chain, The Wonderful 101) I think I could even stomach a Tencent acquisition. Even dreamier in this dream scenario; throw in the old Clover stuff from Capcom (Viewtiful Joe, Okami, God Hand).

Square Enix can keep Babylon's Flop though.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i wouldn't be surprised if they bought out nintendo's share of w101 so they can port the game to multiple platforms. having said that, i can't imagine the port would do well on any of those platforms. i hope they don't have very high expectations.