• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the Switch can run Ori smoothly at 30 FPS. Doubt it can pull off the detail it has at 60.

An original GPD Win can run the game in the 40s to 50s range at 540p (video often shows lower than that due to the DVR capture).

For context, here's the same hardware running DOOM. Compare that to what you'd see on Switch.

I wouldn't worry about performance. With the tweaks a port like this would bring to the table I'm sure it'll hit 60.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Let's revisit this thread in 5-10 years with all the consolidation that's going to happen, then we'll see if it is fan fiction.

To be fair, nearly a decade ago, people on the other place as well as (some) respected analysts thought Sony was going to bow out of the market altogether, Nintendo drops out of making home consoles and focus on handhelds only (DS/Game Boy) whilst the next Xbox 'dominates' after the success of the Xbox 360.

What happened? Quite the opposite, actually.

I think Microsoft and Nintendo are a little bit chummy, but that's it — at present, it is fan-fiction at best.

And it's so obviously going to be 'Ori and the Blind Forest', albeit at 30fps.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is probably exactly what happened for TW3. It's not the only time either, Nintendo did this exact thing when courting Bethesda (Skyrim, Doom) and Blizzard (Diablo III) too. Nintendo wants to help bring key games that'll build an audience for these publishers to keep going ontheir platforms.

They also do this with select indies and obviously Japanese pubs too.
What's more likely is that Nintendo is waiving cart costs and handling distribution for these publishers, not paying for development

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, nearly a decade ago, people on the other place as well as (some) respected analysts thought Sony was going to bow out of the market altogether, Nintendo drops out of making home consoles and focus on handhelds only (DS/Game Boy) whilst the next Xbox 'dominates' after the success of the Xbox 360.

What happened? Quite the opposite, actually.

I think Microsoft and Nintendo are a little bit chummy, but that's it — at present, it is fan-fiction at best.

And it's so obviously going to be 'Ori and the Blind Forest', albeit at 30fps.

Nah it will be 60 FPS. Check out the GPD Win footage one post above yours.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
What's more likely is that Nintendo is waiving cart costs and handling distribution for these publishers, not paying for development
That's what was said. Nintendo's not funding development but they instead do things like co-promotion and marketing deals, royalty rate cuts, publishing or distribution deals, subsidizing production costs, featured hardware bundles, etc.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Yeah; I know (I see those last three as practically confirmed already; with proof for Forza being datamined and all the noise surrounding MCC). I was asking about Rare Replay specifically, since there isn't as much behind it (and it's my second most-wanted of these Microsoft ports).

Sabi seemed pretty confident about it in March, but I don't think we've heard much about it since

Now that would be a megaton, would buy day 1 for sure.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
An original GPD Win can run the game in the 40s to 50s range at 540p (video often shows lower than that due to the DVR capture).

The guy didn't bother showing off the advanced graphics settings menu. What was played was still really beautiful but if this wasn't max settings it won't ameliorate my concerns. I'm sure the Switch can play this game at 60 but not with full details.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The guy didn't bother showing off the advanced graphics settings menu. What was played was still really beautiful but if this wasn't max settings it won't ameliorate my concerns. I'm sure the Switch can play this game at 60 but not with full details.
Don't forget Ori is 1080p on Xbox One S. Even just dropping the resolution will help.

But, honestly, whilst I appreciate the benefit of portable gaming, as with Hollow Knight, this deserves to be played in full 1080p+ resolution on the big screen. It's a beautiful game. But I realise not everyone will want to invest in a PC or Xbox to make that happen, so at least more will get to experience the game now.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Ori doesn't have many options since a lot of the effects are pre-baked into the sprites; they're technically "free" in terms of resource use.

Nkt3bad.png

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
He says they have 6 different versions for all textures with lighting from all sides because "our textures are 2D ... there is no 3D in the game"

Perhaps he is talking about the actual world and gameplay? The MS Studios stream a while back broke down how the pipeline had changed from 2d to 3d. This allows them to have those bosses they've teased, animations being 60fps now, having a bunch of weapons and so on.

This has also been repeated in a bunch of press.

Our demonstration took place in a sand-blasted desert landscape, filled with hungry carnivorous plants and large sand traps. Will of the Wisps has new technology that integrates 3D models more seamlessly into the layered 2D world Moon Studios is building. The use of 3D gives the game some additional "modern" depth, and to that end, Moon Studios has also developed a new physics-based lighting engine which allows its artists to designate areas on 2D objects to receive lighting information.

Despite swapping sprites for 3D models, the game world and its characters have lost none of the warmth or charm of the original, while gaining more fluid movement for both Ori and the physical objects of the world.

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
People really trying to convince themselves that Ori wouldnt run and perform well on Switch - we will see the game in like 1 hour.