• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 15, 2018
Denmark
giphy.gif

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
I'm all for more modern versions of 16 bit games but unfortunately I don't have any nostalgia for Zool. Was it any good?

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn I loved Zool as a kid. Wish this was gonna be on Switch.
I'm all for more modern versions of 16 bit games but unfortunately I don't have any nostalgia for Zool. Was it any good?
It was okay, but nothing to write home about. A lot of nostalgic value for sure but it's an extremely mediocre platformer.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't expect they revived Zool back in 2021! That shit is nostalgia AF and was my very first playing a PC back in the 90s beside Commander Keen.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Is this just a re-release of the first game? I already have it on Atari Jaguar so I'm good.

EDIT - The game isn't that great. It's one of those European microcomputer-style "roam this giant open level looking for the exit" type games. Gets boring pretty quickly.

Auron.90

Dec 3, 2017
Oh God, right in the nostalgia. I used to play the shit out of it and Robocod when I was a child.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first Zool is actually pretty terrible, but the second one was really, really fun. One of the biggest improvements from original to sequel I've ever seen. Problem with the original is the same problem so many Sonic-clones have: they thought Sonic was about speed, so they made Zool fast, but the level design wasn't conducive to that speed at all. That's the big reason Zool 2 is so much better -- it's less of a Sonic clone and the level design is waaaaaaay better. Better graphics too. Bummer they are remaking the first and not the second, since the second was Amiga and Atari Jaguar exclusive, so very few people ever played it.

This song rules btw:

All this to say that I'm unironically a pretty big Zool fan. I played the second a lot.

Here's another great remix:

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Oh God, right in the nostalgia. I used to play the shit out of it and Robocod when I was a child.

Straight from the same place . Stretchy RoboCod.
With Penguin biscuits product plaicement

Could Robo-Cop ever do that, it was more of an Inspector Gadget style thing?

fire_and_ice_01.png

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Loved this game on the Amiga, definitely gonna give it a go if only for nostalgia reasons.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I was gonna cheekily ask if Bubsy was next or something, until I realized Bubsy's already on Steam. Lmao.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Holy Crap! Never thought we'd see Zool again :D
They already did the most important part, use the great tune that didn't even appear in the actual game if I remember correctly. At least the first release didn't have it I'm pretty sure.
In fact, I think I had the most fun with this game playing the demo with that great soundtrack. The full game was a bit of a letdown. Felt kinda unpolished compared to the demo to me.
Still, looking forward to checking out this remaster. Perhaps they've tightened things up a bit.

Nov 6, 2017
Bummer they are remaking the first and not the second, since the second was Amiga and Atari Jaguar exclusive, so very few people ever played it.

It was also on PC. It's been some time since I last played either (though I do have the CD of Zool 2 somewhere) but I get the impression this is going to be based on the console version, not the computer version (console version was different levels / bosses / never had the Chupa Chups branding)
Hopefully this remake will let you have the music and sound effects on at the same time too!

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
This along with James Pond 2 on my Amiga 500 93. Even at 8 years old I thought they were both awful :D

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Bummer they are remaking the first and not the second, since the second was Amiga and Atari Jaguar exclusive, so very few people ever played it.
It's understandable since the first one has a lot more nostalgia attached to it. By the time Zool 2 came out everyone had probably realized the game wasn't that great and didn't pay much attention.
Zool 2 did come out on PC though, I remember playing it.
Also someone needs to rerelease Robocod and give it the attention it deserves. Not those soulless poor ports that gets released on every platform under the sun.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fun Fact: The Amiga CD32 version of Zool 2 had an exclusive level not in any other version: Paper Plains.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Sweet. 2 was clearly better, but this seems to be a remake rather than a straight up remaster, so this should be interesting.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
I had a Zool 2 sticker-set that I used to decorate my lunch box with when I was young. No idea where it came from though, as we never owned the game. I'll pick this up if it helps get the ball rolling on the release of the sequel too.