DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021
"Friends" creator Marta Kauffman told the Los Angeles Times that she's so "embarrassed" by and feels such "guilt" over the lack of diversity on her classic NBC sitcom that she's donating $4 million to create the Marta F. Kauffman '78 Professorship in African and African American Studies at Brandeis University. Kauffman said it was originally "difficult and frustrating" to have the show criticized for its lack of diverse characters, but she became critical herself after the 2020 murder of George Floyd.
"It was after what happened to George Floyd that I began to wrestle with my having bought into systemic racism in ways I was never aware of," Kauffman said. "That was really the moment that I began to examine the ways I had participated. I knew then I needed to course-correct."
All six main characters on "Friends" were white, and the show rarely featured actors of colors in prominent roles across 10 seasons and 236 episodes. The likes of Lauren Tom, Gabrielle Union, Mark Consuelos and Craig Robinson appeared on the show in small supporting roles, while Aisha Tyler, the most prominent actor of color featured on the series, only starred in nine episodes. Tyler played a paleontology professor who dated both Joey and Ross.
According to the LA Times, Kauffman's $4 million African and African American studies program will "support a distinguished scholar with a concentration in the study of the peoples and cultures of Africa and the African diaspora. The gift will also assist the department to recruit more expert scholars and teachers, map long-term academic and research priorities and provide new opportunities for students to engage in interdisciplinary scholarship."
I've learned a lot in the last 20 years," Kauffman said. "Admitting and accepting guilt is not easy. It's painful looking at yourself in the mirror. I'm embarrassed that I didn't know better 25 years ago. "
Kauffman said she's "gotten nothing but love" since making the announcement, adding, "It's been amazing. It surprised me to some extent, because I didn't expect the news to go this wide. I've gotten a flood of emails and texts and posts that have been nothing but supportive. I've gotten a lot of 'It's about time.' Not in a mean way. It's just people acknowledging it was long overdue."
variety.com

‘Friends’ Creator Donates $4 Million Due to ‘Guilt’ and Embarrassment Over Show’s Zero Diversity

"Friends" creator Marta Kauffman is so "embarrassed" by and feels such "guilt" over the lack of diversity on her show.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Regine-Kim-Fields-2-Living-Single-S1E1.gif

Four whole million!!! We made it!

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
First thought... not bad I guess, good to acknowledge it and contribute..

But reading that... naming it after yourself while saying you feel guilt is...not a good look...

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Well, doing more than most in her industry I guess? At least regarding folks from that era? Idk, can appreciate openly admitting to not giving a shit about diversity while making the show.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
First thought... not bad I guess, good to acknowledge it and contribute..

But reading that... naming it after yourself while saying you feel guilt is...not a good look...
Yeah that seemed odd. Like "let's honor black people….with this program named after a white woman."

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
well good for her i guess 🙄

Yeah I mean, good for her donating the money. But these kind of stories are always framed around their sense of self-realization and the "sacrifice" it takes to be more inclusive, rather than letting the focus be on the cause she's feeling guilt about.

It's less about "I want to do more for black people" and more "I want to make sure the world remembers that I did something for black people"

Oct 26, 2017
Good. How many other sitcom creators reflect on the shit they put out there, and the things they perpetuate? I'm not going to critique.

Now come out and let's talk about the transphobic stuff with Chandler's parents. That's the real elephant in the room.

kVH2LpZd

Apr 3, 2019
Is there a reason Friends gets particularly criticized for this while others popular shows of the era like Seinfeld get a pass?

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a reason Friends gets particularly criticized for this while others popular shows of the era like Seinfeld get a pass?
Seinfeld's pretty white too, but they did tackle race more AND the show was about how awful those people were vs. Friends being an idealized white version of NYC

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Seinfeld had side and background characters that were people of color and had them involved in stories. It was also pretty white but people find it to be closer to New York than Friends which had very few people of color during the entire run even as people that the leads interacted with or that the show had even in the background.

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
She's doing a good thing, but this all reeks of wanting to make it about herself and is the absolute hokey-ist of white guilt I have ever seen from a rich white person in a hot minute.

Did it really take her until George Floyd being murdered by a cop to notice how fucking white Friends was?

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
How many transphobic jokes does friends have? Genuinely curious.
I never counted but I'm pretty sure in the episode where Brad Pitt guest stars and they talk about how his character and Ross made up a rumor about Rachel and it has some transphobic lines in it. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken. Its been a very long time since I've seen the episode so maybe I'm being harder on it in my memory than it really is. Hopefully I am mistaken.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what the downside is to reflecting on your own engagement in existing in a white-first system that you propagated by making white-first television, then making a financial contribution using money you got from the privilege of being a white person in that white-first industry towards a better cause.

(The wing getting named after her is fucking cringe though realtalk)

I'm guessing the issue here is more making a media story out of a rich white person making a financial contribution as opposed to the causes she's advocating. I don't think a person in a majority making a statement like "I wish I did better" is praiseworthy so much as I think it's good to normalize reflecting on past engagement with privilege in a majority.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I mean
Regine-Kim-Fields-2-Living-Single-S1E1.gif

Four whole million!!! We made it!

Doesn't help that Friends stole its premise from Living Single

Yup. Again having a show based in NYC with lily white cast outside of 'very special episodes' is bad but sadly par on course for a shitload of 90's comedies. Its just the NYC part that made it more egregious.

But man, they literally copy/pasted a popular all black show and managed to keep black folks off the show like it was Jim Crow, I almost admire the effort, lol. Must be a pilot script/treatment out there with "But No Blacks!" written at the top in comic sans.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Kauffman said it was originally "difficult and frustrating" to have the show criticized for its lack of diverse characters, but she became critical herself after the 2020 murder of George Floyd.

Fucking unreal to actually admit that it took 15 years of ignoring criticism before realizing the show had a diversity problem

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The scholarship is whatever, but admitting she bought into systemic racism is nice to see. I know a lot of white people that loved this show who are completely blind to their own internalized racism and if this reaches even a few similar people it will be something.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
If she was influenced by the George Floyd case why not name the professorship after him instead of herself? This whole article just feels like she is patting herself on the back for being "enlightened" now.

drowsy

Oct 27, 2017
Look, she's been richer than god for more than two decades so of course she's going to be completely out of touch with anything resembling the reality us normies live in. Given that, I'll give her credit for recognizing the white elephant for what it is and doing something positive with her wealth. It's more than I'd normally expect from someone in her position, as sad as that may be.

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
Fucking unreal to actually admit that it took 15 years of ignoring criticism before realizing the show had a diversity problem
That's something that legit bothered me about how so many shows like the Simpsons, Family Guy, etc...suddenly got a stick in their ass. Like, you're telling me it took until JUST NOW? to realize you were a white guy voicing a black guy? I'm in the camp where as voice actors, it doesn't really matter. But I refuse to believe they did it for any reason outside of trying to appease someone who wasn't asking for it in the first place.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
If she was influenced by the George Floyd case why not name the professorship after him instead of herself? This whole article just feels like she is patting herself on the back for being "enlightened" now.
It's not like she wrote the article. That seems more like an issue with how the media reports on these things than anything she did.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Hey now, come on....there was Julie...and uh....Aisha Tyler....so.....yeah.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I never counted but I'm pretty sure in the episode where Brad Pitt guest stars and they talk about how his character and Ross made up a rumor about Rachel and it has some transphobic lines in it. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken. Its been a very long time since I've seen the episode so maybe I'm being harder on it in my memory than it really is. Hopefully I am mistaken.

Chandler's dad (or mom - sorry, I'm genuinely not sure how the character identified) was the butt of a lot of transphobic jokes. Way more than whatever episode or two Brad Pitt was in.

Nov 4, 2017
If that's how she feels, she could probably do a lot of good by using her clout to open doors for diverse creators in film and television.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Chandler's dad (or mom - sorry, I'm genuinely not sure how the character identified) was the butt of a lot of transphobic jokes. Way more than whatever episode or two Brad Pitt was in.
Yeah, you are absolutely right. The Brad Pitt episode is the one that I remembered first and completely forgot about Chandler's father and so the transphobic jokes were actually happening several times over several seasons.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Its more important now and moving forward to be more diverse with current/furniture projects. Apologizing for something that's long gone is kind of moot because you can't change it.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
It's great, but yeah... still feels more like a, "I did this good thing, so I deserve to be known for doing this good thing." Sorta undercuts the selfless act, but if it were to increase donations from others to such causes, that's really great. Good to recognize the diversity issue though.

Systemic issues shouldn't need to be resolved by monetary donations. Fuck philanthropy.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Yeah, you are absolutely right. The Brad Pitt episode is the one that I remembered first and completely forgot about Chandler's father and so the transphobic jokes were actually happening several times over several seasons.

The transphobia with Chandler's dad was probably only topped with the fatphobia of Monica in terms of frequency of jokes.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
1% of her net worth eh?

I don't get this sentiment. Is everyone in similar time frames giving millions of dollars for something like this? If so I missed it. Is there a certain threshold of money that doesn't get an eh and if so what is it?

This just seems negative for the sake of being negative. The named after herself criticism is absolutely valid. The amount of time to do something is valid. The only 1% of her net worth I don't understand at all.