Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘Stranger Things’ Season 4 Spoiled by Netflix Monopoly Game, Duffer Brothers Upset

The sci-fi hit's creators reportedly had a "total meltdown" after photos of cards from the tie-in board game — which reveal crucial plot elements from the penultimate season — began circulating online.

As if Netflix didn't have enough worries lately: An effort to promote Stranger Things season four has been turned upside down.

Images have leaked online from an official Monopoly game tie-in pegged to the long-awaited new season of the retro sci-fi hit.

The images from the game's cards — which first started circling last month — spoil major plot points in the new episodes. (The Hollywood Reporter will not reveal them here.)

Netflix wasn't happy about the mishap. But they weren't nearly as displeased as the show's creators, The Duffer Brothers, who sources say weren't consulted about the game. Matt and Ross Duffer have long valued maintaining story secrecy and were said to have had a "total meltdown" about the mishap.
A Reddit thread devoted to the leak claimed the game was bought at "a nationally recognized retailer and purchased fair and square by a consumer. Nobody stole it; nobody leaked a sample." Those purchase details are unconfirmed, however. Retailers are currently advertising Stranger ThingsMonopoly boards pegged to past seasons, though a couple purported copies of the season four version are being advertised on eBay.

One source close to the streamer's tentpole series said that while its producers have a lot of involvement in, and approvals over, the vast majority of the show's promotions and consumer products, the sheer scale and breadth of the Stranger Things franchising world is so incomparable to any other show at Netflix that the Monopoly game must have accidentally passed go.

"Lessons have been learned and, I expect, there will be more cohesion going into season five," the source noted.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
latest

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I only clicked on this thread to see the spoilers this monopoly game dropped lmao.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
I have a feeling I know exactly what one of the major plot points was that was spoiled. It's one that had been widely speculated, and I can see it being something that could feasibly appear on a game card.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The creators of the show?
I mean I'm not trying to sound totally callous but "total meltdown" seems a bit much. The journey is just as important as the destination and its not like reading a Monopoly card is going to replace actually seeing the event unfold for real.

Have a bit more faith in your creation being more than just a "gotcha" moment.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Season 5? I thought this was the final season?

Nope! Season 5 will be the final season.

Seven years ago, we planned out the complete story arc for Stranger Things. At the time, we predicted the story would last four to five seasons. It proved too large to tell in four, but – as you'll soon see for yourselves – we are now hurtling toward our finale. Season 4 will be the penultimate season; season 5 will be the last.
about.netflix.com

'Stranger Things': The Duffer Brothers Reveal a Supersized Season 4 Rollout and Share News About the Series’ Future - About Netflix

In a letter to fans, Stranger Things creators The Duffer Brothers reveal the Season 4 premiere date and exciting news for Season 5.

Oct 25, 2017
The 'spoilers' aren't anything that most weren't already expecting based on the trailer, although they do clarify circumstances somewhat.

Gigglepoo

Oct 25, 2017
The Duffers would have been better served laughing off the information as speculation instead of confirming these events are how the story will actually play out.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Checked out the spoilers. They're technically spoilers obviously, but they're things that would almost have to happen for the show to function at all. It's not that bad

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I looked them up and out of the three I read, one is literally SHOWN in the trailer, the other one is news to me (but so vague that who cares) and there's one that I think literally everyone knew it would happen, I mean, did anyone seriously NOT expect Hopper to escape?

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I'm not trying to sound totally callous but "total meltdown" seems a bit much. The journey is just as important as the destination and its not like reading a Monopoly card is going to replace actually seeing the event unfold for real.

Have a bit more faith in your creation being more than just a "gotcha" moment.
Sure, but let's not act like surprise has no value in a narrative.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Wow thats basically nothing spoiler wise. I was expecting a reveal that the Power Rangers Ivan Ooze ass villain was NegaMike or something

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, I thought this season was supposed to be the end. They haven't even had any good ideas since the first one.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
black man opening fridge with excitement then closing with disappointment.gif
"total meltdown"
the "spoilers" were literally nothing
but to be fair, i would've assumed that the creators would be aware of extremely popular game edition of their work, and apparently they weren't, so i can imagine that to be a surprise/lesson to be learned/reason to be pissed, unless im reading the statement below incorrectly.

"Netflix wasn't happy about the mishap. But they weren't nearly as displeased as the show's creators, The Duffer Brothers, who sources say weren't consulted about the game. Matt and Ross Duffer have long valued maintaining story secrecy and were said to have had a "total meltdown" about the mishap."