DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021
"The Last of Us" Season 2 got an update at an HBO press conference with CEO Casey Bloys on Thursday morning.

Season 2 of the hit show will enter production in early 2024, Bloys said. He noted that the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes had delayed production.
The first season of "The Last of Us" became an instant hit when it premiered on HBO in January 2023. Based on the massively popular PlayStation video game of the same name, the show follows a smuggler named Joel (played by Pedro Pascal in the show) in a post-apocalyptic America years after the world has been crippled by a deadly fungus. Joel is tasked with bringing a young girl named Ellie (Bella Ramsey) across the country in order to create a cure for the cordyceps fungus. Along the way, they encounter fellow survivors, cutthroat bandits and monstrous clickers — people who have become so infected by the disease that fungi sprouts from their bodies.
"The Last of Us" was renewed for Season 2 before the Season 1 finale aired. The original video game spawned one sequel, titled The Last of Us: Part II, which creator Neil Druckmann and showrunner Craig Mazin have plans to adapt. However, the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes have put the highly anticipated sophomore season on pause.
"We've outlined all of Season 2 and we're ready to go as soon as the strike ends," Druckmann told Entertaiment Weekly.

"We were able to map out all of Season 2," added Mazin. "And I also wrote and submitted the script for the first episode and sent it in [to HBO] around 10:30 or 10:40pm right before the midnight the [WGA] strike began. I think it's becoming essentially a near certainty that we won't be able to start [filming] when we were hoping to start, which is upsetting. We are all raring to go."
variety.com

‘The Last of Us’ Season 2 Expected to Enter Production in Early 2024

'The Last of Us' Season 2 is expected to begin production in early 2024, says HBO CEO Casey Bloys.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Did the strike end while I wasn't looking? Cause that seems like copium at this point.

red mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 17, 2023
I haven't played the video games but this is good if the delay aligns with the time skip between the two games right? I've heard Part 2 happens quite a while after the original.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
2025 it is.🥲

Basically next year HotD, year after Last of Us, year after that HotD s3 and so on. One major show a year, not only because of the strike, but simply because these shows take 2 years inbetween nowadays.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Wonder if they'll shoot the entirety of Part 2 and split Season 2 or shoot a S2 and then S3 for Part 2.

I haven't played the video games but this is good if the delay aligns with the time skip between the two games right? I've heard Part 2 happens quite a while after the original.
There's a time skip but there are also flashbacks from before the time skip. They'll be fine either way.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Did the strike end while I wasn't looking? Cause that seems like copium at this point.
I mean the WGA one did end so they can technically start production and finish writing, they just can't film.

TLOU2 is set four years after TLOU1 but tbh it feels like a longer time skip. But real people don't age the way video game characters can so I don't think the change in characters appearances was ever going to be as notable. It will definitely take some getting used to either way.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness

They talk about it in the article:

"The Last of Us" was renewed for Season 2 before the Season 1 finale aired. The original video game spawned one sequel, titled The Last of Us: Part II, which creator Neil Druckmann and showrunner Craig Mazin have plans to adapt. However, the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes have put the highly anticipated second season on pause.
"We've outlined all of Season 2 and we're ready to go as soon as the strike ends," Druckmann told Entertainment Weekly.
"We were able to map out all of Season 2," added Mazin. "And I also wrote and submitted the script for the first episode and sent it in [to HBO] around 10:30 or 10:40pm right before the midnight the [WGA] strike began. I think it's becoming essentially a near certainty that we won't be able to start [filming] when we were hoping to start, which is upsetting. We are all raring to go."

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Looking forwards to receiving another long winded life lesson about 'hate' all over again.
mark-whalberg.gif

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Cool! Bring it on!

My only doubt is how they'll make Ellie look older. The actress is naturaly tiny/short and has a fairly young looking face. I'm sure they'll figure something out though, even something as simple as removing the time gap could work.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Cool! Bring it on!

My only doubt is how they'll make Ellie look older. The actress is naturaly tiny/short and has a fairly young looking face. I'm sure they'll figure something out though, even something as simple as removing the time gap could work.
Is there is a chance they'll digitally age here? 'Cause yeah, Ellie is supposed to be 19 in Part 2. Dunno how people would receive making her still a kid during the events that're approaching.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
lol sure it will

Cool! Bring it on!

It'll be 3ish years between filming so I think that'll take care of itself.

red mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 17, 2023
Is there is a chance they'll digitally age here? 'Cause yeah, Ellie is supposed to be 19 in Part 2. Of course they could go the route that involves Season 2 taking place maybe a few months or a year after Season 1. Dunno how people would like that though.

The actor is 20 right now.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Is there is a chance they'll digitally age here? 'Cause yeah, Ellie is supposed to be 19 in Part 2. Dunno how people would receive making her still a kid during the events that're approaching.

Bella Ramsey is 20. Im sure they'll manage okay around the fact that they look young.

Last edited:

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
They made her look slightly younger for the first season, and can make her look a little older for season 2. She has the age of the character she'll be playing sp everything is gonna be ok.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to find out who's gonna play Abby.