toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
My all-time favourite is probably The Box, a Takashi Miike short that you can find in the Three...Extremes collection. Absolutely masterful, chilling short story with an ending that re-contextualises everything you've seen before that. Just be sure to check out some content warnings before watching as it deals with some heavy topics

Dennie Dee

Oct 26, 2017
Bruges, Belgium
Some movies with twists I'm not going to explain because I think people should watch them:
  • The Kid Detective
  • Raw
  • Resurrection (2022)
  • Speak no Evil
  • All My Friends Hate Me
  • Apostle
  • The Guilty (the original)
  • One Cut of the Dead
  • The Girl With all the Gifts
  • The Handmaiden
  • Hidden
  • The Blackcoat's Daughter
Dude, I came in here to post One Cut of the Dead, The Kid Detective and The Blackcoat's Daughter.
I'll check out those others you mentioned and I haven't seen. Seems like we've got the same taste!

giphy.gif

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Remember Me.

remember-me-robert-pattinson-911-ending.jpg

Absolutely the biggest WTF I've ever let out. And not in a good way.
My friends and I got stoned and saw this in theaters because we all loved Claire from Lost. I fell asleep and woke up as the reveal was about to happen. Never been so confused

Serenity (2019)

This Matthew McConaughey thriller goes in a super weird direction that was ridiculous and taken absolutely 100% seriously. It was bananas. I don't even want to post it behind a spoiler tag. I didn't know about it going in and my jaw hit the floor. I suggest you do the same.

ZGTcOVGM1JwMHPEHQbqJAvUz1aLWaI9th1vuyPEeYmSxaf4Zj--jRVGb7ZICWDXhA0TY=w240-h480-rw

I am a fan of this movie. It's batshit but it owns it. Kind of like the Book of Henry. Not good movies, but I appreciate they had a vision and fully went for it

David Addison

Oct 28, 2017
Nope I hate this one with a passion and put me off the rest of the franchise, I like twists where you could've predicted it if you were paying attention to the clues, this one was just like "wouldn't be cool if it was something no one could guess ever"
I like how this dumbass movie
specifically plants the information that Jigsaw surveils his victims as they suffer, but the twist requires him to be in a position where he can't see shit or even react to anything.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Holy fuck.

You all got me looking up spoilers for Sorry to Bother You and I don't give a shit that I spoiled it - I need to see this fucking movie like tomorrow.

This sounds like if Jordan Peele made an 80s Terry Gilliam film.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
My friends and I got stoned and saw this in theaters because we all loved Claire from Lost. I fell asleep and woke up as the reveal was about to happen. Never been so confused

I am a fan of this movie. It's batshit but it owns it. Kind of like the Book of Henry. Not good movies, but I appreciate they had a vision and fully went for it
Lol yeah Book of Henry is another movie that's so bonkers you can't even really describe it, you have to experience it.

I think my favourite movie like this I watched is this Canadian kids (?) film called The Peanut Butter Solution. It's one of the wildest films I've ever seen.

nilbog

Movie Aficionado
Oct 25, 2017
Under the Silver Lake
Vertigo is one of my all time favorites.

Man falls in love with a woman named Madeline who proceeds to commit suicide. Then he falls in love with another woman that looks a lot like Madeline, only to find out that she actually is Madeline, who had faked her death. This drives the man insane, enough for him to take Madeline back to the place she had died so he could piece together the puzzle, only for Madeline to accidentally die for real.

14vertigo1-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600.jpg

nilbog

Movie Aficionado
Oct 25, 2017
Under the Silver Lake
I really liked the Under the Silver Lake twist also.

Sam meets neighbor Sarah in their LA apartment complex where they connect and hang out for a night. Sarah disappears the next day. This leads Sam on a crazy conspiracy ridden puzzle that results in Sarah becoming one of three wives for a rich man who had faked his death, and they now live in an underground bomb shelter where they will die so their souls can "ascend". Tears drop from Sarah's face as she talks to Sam one last time, realizing there is no going back.

diseer9b2ha81.jpg

OmegaDragon

Oct 27, 2017
Vertigo is one of my all time favorites.

Man falls in love with a woman named Madeline who proceeds to commit suicide. Then he falls in love with another woman that looks a lot like Madeline, only to find out that she actually is Madeline, who had faked her death. This drives the man insane, enough for him to take Madeline back to the place she had died so he could piece together the puzzle, only for Madeline to accidentally die for real.

14vertigo1-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600.jpg

You are leaving out some important info.

The protagonist (who suffers from vertigo) is asked by a friend(? I'll call him husband) to look after his wife, who is mentally unwell. Protagonist falls in love with her. The wife commits suicide by jumping of a bell tower, protagonist is unable to stop her due to his vertigo.
Later he meets another woman (lookalike), who looks a lot like the now dead suicidal wife.
Turns out the lookalike was impersonating the wife before the suicide, as part of a scheme by the husband. The husband wanted to kill his wife. So the lookalike acted to be mentally unwell in front of the protagonist. The suicide was staged to coverup the murder of the (real) wife.