Status
Not open for further replies.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Violet Evergarden 5
cat-meme-face-cat-meme.gif

This was sick and depressing. I thought we were going to examine the loss of childhood in a political marriage. But instead we got a love story between a child and an adult man. And they did so much to try and make their audience on with this and I just was repulsed from the moment they revealed she was in love with this guy the whole time.
It's probably what the author likes, given the Usagi Dropped set up of the story.

Kinda weird the anime doesn't get meme'd harder because of it tbh.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not an anime per se I guess, but Lookism S1:

Really enjoyed it, lots of heartfelt moments that hit a bit close to home. The reactions towards fat people in this show is a bit over the top though, which I guess is the point but it can get really jarring. Still, I'm looking forward to more, might just read the web toon instead.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bocchi the Rock 11

Well that's a cocktease to end the episode on. It needs to be next week right now.

The whole segment with Kita explaining where to find Bocchi variety show-style was hysterical.

aidangs

Jan 8, 2019
Pop Team Epic S2 12 (END)

Never thought I'd pop off for all the Popukos and Pipimis from throughout the season showing up to save Shouta at the end, but here we are! Really didn't know what to expect from a second season of this and the collabs with different artists and creators have been such a blast to watch.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm being overcome by a sudden, irresistible urge to pop out my spinal cord.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Bocchi the Rock 11
cardcaptor-sakura-card.gif

I think Kita might be getting a solo next episode. I want Bocchi to absolutely kill it.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Bocchi 11
Oh no, Bocchi's youtube career is cratering because she got real-life friends now. Kita is putting in overtime in radiating solar energy during this school event, i hope she isn't too exhausted.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Nya Tamer episode 12

Attack on demon. And the Hero gets away with it...oh wait, there's another episode.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably what the author likes, given the Usagi Dropped set up of the story.

Kinda weird the anime doesn't get meme'd harder because of it tbh.

It was weirdly accepted even amongst a bunch of monocles, IIRC. I think it being KyoAni adapting an award-winning novel with their usual high production values was enough for that. People wanted it to be good and that 'award-winning' basically just referred to one of KyoAni's own competitions wasn't what people usually expect hearing that term.

But damn if the writing wasn't immediately insipid. Not just that, though. Albeit high-quality animation in a few ways, I didn't find it visually pleasing, or interesting for that matter. Character design was also hmm... The 14-year-old war-puppet sob story thing can work but given the character designs the vast majority of people probably can't help but have a real good "what the hell? 14?" moment.

---

Oh that reminds me of Eupho S2 where we basically got indirect teacher-student endorsement. Thought that was kinda just hand-waved by many, too. When you get basically positively-framed scenes of Kumiko wishing Reina luck going after Sensei... :|

Koi Kaze to me is less problematic because it actually clearly criticized the bona fide incest taking place. With shows like Violet Evergarden and Eupho (S2) it's like... yooo... can you frame that in a different light, please?

Last edited:

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Delicious Party Pretty Cure 40

Oh hey, a decent Takumi episode that finally brings him into the fold and makes him part of the main group. This puts the show on the right track... or it would've if it happened 20 episodes ago. Show gained nothing from keeping his identity a secret from the others. At least he's fully accepted his role as a not-Cure who can do basically everything they can except the friendship beams of death. Did Rosemary seriously find out he's been living next to Cinnamon's wife this entire time off-screen? Yet another waste. At least the villains were smartly gathering Recipepes out of town like what every other villain in this franchise should.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
I can kill a dragon with a carrot episode 12

This fucking show. I do not why I watched it. A blend of stupidity and harem full of horny women. I guess they want another season because of the way it ended with a lot of loose ends.

Angelo

Aug 24, 2018
I was expecting Season 2 to be announced after the finale of the 2nd cour next week.. But then again, it's Jump Festa after all. If you can announce it during the big event then why not? And yeah agree a Spy x Family movie is definitely NOT on my bingo card.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
UYAS 10
Starts off with a hilarious miscommunication gag, ends with a dwahhh of Aw they care for each other. Also Mendo's family crest being the fool will never not crack me up
DIY11.
Saw that coming. cute episode.
Novice alchemist 11
Serasa the dragon slayer

Ok, updated prelim list with crunchy pickups having final names and confirmed dubs. still annoyed Vampire dies S2 isnt confirmed for an in season dub but I'll definitely watch subbed then

cachedImage.png

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Oh that reminds me of Eupho S2 where we basically got indirect teacher-student endorsement. Thought that was kinda just hand-waved by many, too. When you get basically positively-framed scenes of Kumiko wishing Reina luck going after Sensei... :|

Koi Kaze to me is less problematic because it actually clearly criticized the bona fide incest taking place. With shows like Violet Evergarden and Eupho (S2) it's like... yooo... can you frame that in a different light, please?
We don't talk about Reina in S2, she doesn't really matter anyway. It's all about Nozomi/Mizore, Natsumi/Yuuko, and Kumiko/Asuka.

Though to be real yeah that plot point is icky, but it's not the worst because these are high school girls. It's not like the teacher even reciprocates, which would be classic shoujo territory.

Angelo

Aug 24, 2018
Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
We don't talk about Reina in S2, she doesn't really matter anyway. It's all about Nozomi/Mizore, Natsumi/Yuuko, and Kumiko/Asuka.

Though to be real yeah that plot point is icky, but it's not the worst because these are high school girls. It's not like the teacher even reciprocates, which would be classic shoujo territory.

It is sort of funny that Reina basically falls out of the story after the first season. I did like how Liz and blue bird did it where Kumi and Reina are just running around in the BG and you can kind of just sort of pretend they're the closest of the close.

God I need to watch the eupho movies. Just rip that band-aid off.

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
It is sort of funny that Reina basically falls out of the story after the first season. I did like how Liz and blue bird did it where Kumi and Reina are just running around in the BG and you can kind of just sort of pretend they're the closest of the close.

God I need to watch the eupho movies. Just rip that band-aid off.
I refuse to watch Our Promise: A Brand New Day. Eventually I'll watch a clip of the performance just to see Nozomi and Mizore play.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Violet Evergarden 6
Good episode. I'd rather ship Violet with this kid. Glad we could see Anne of Green Gables again albeit for like 1 second.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Lol whaaat even Ao no Exorcist got something new.. It's titled as a 'new series' and i prefer that over another original movie.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmV4O0y7zqk

And last but not least.. Mashle.. This one is also in uh... yeah.. April..
I think that wraps up Jump Festa.. There's still One Piece left but i dunno if they're going to announce anything there.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbz4shbCPCA

yooooo, this actually looks pretty good!

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza Babysitting 8-12 END
That was... good? Maybe got a bit too maudlin in parts russian roulette was too much and fake majima was awful, zero personality and got no actual comeuppance, but still. The last episode with the flower stuff was really good. All in all I would say, like, a generally above-average series, not amazing in any single one area (except maybe emotional intelligence) but with no obvious faults other than being a bit undecided on whether it wanted to be slice of life or dramatic, and not being all that amazing at general scene direction. Also it forgot about the cat for like over half its runtime which is inexcusable imho

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I hope your body is ready for episodes 10 and 11.
If it has anything to do with Gilbert it's automatically a 0/10. Could I also please ask that people not do this with me? Like say that such-and-such episode is gonna knock your socks off or whatever? It tends to end badly for whatever favourite episode people hype up to me. Like, my brain is immediately prepared to scrutinise the hell out of these 2 mentioned episodes now. And I actually don't like hating on things other people enjoy.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I've had Crunchyroll for a few months now and after finishing Ranking of Kings, I'm currently watching Witch from Mercury and Chainsaw Man of course. I have Odd Taxi and Mob Psycho 100 on my list, but is there anything else I should be watching? I've already seen Jujutsu Taisen.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I've had Crunchyroll for a few months now and after finishing Ranking of Kings, I'm currently watching Witch from Mercury and Chainsaw Man of course. I have Odd Taxi and Mob Psycho 100 on my list, but is there anything else I should be watching? I've already seen Jujutsu Taisen.
86, Railgun, A Place Further Than The Universe, Ah! My Goddess, Arakawa Under The Bridge, ARIA, Bakemonogatari, Bamboo Blade, Barakamon, Black Lagoon, Blast of Tempest, Bocchi, Cardcaptor Sakura TV and Movies, Chihayafuru, Claymore, Code Geass, Cowbibbity Bebop, Cromartie High School, Daily Lives of High School Boys, Death Note, Death Parade, Do It Yourself!!, and finally the masterpiece EX-ARM.

Yes I skimmed their list alphabetically, and yes I got lazy and gave up when I hit E.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Muteking the dancing hero! Vampire Dies in No Time, Rumble Garanndoll and Tsukimichi moonlit fantasy for some recent stuff that was fun

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Shinsekai Yori/From the New World

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on what you want in a show.

If you are OK with "4 high school girls do stuff" as a premise, A Place Further than the Universe is stellar and Bocchi the Rock seems to be in the same ballpark. The former is about kids trying to get into an Antarctic expedition for various reasons, and the latter is about a socially anxious girl joining a band and starting to conquer her fears.

Spy X Family is solid goofy action fun with some really funny characters. Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-Kun is another strong comedy shounen.

There's a million isekai shows, and most of them are derivative garbage. Ascendance of a Bookworm is a strong one, though, even if it's on a shoestring budget, mostly on the charisma of its book gremlin of a lead character. (Speaking of shoestring budgets, Planet With is a short and fun mecha that does more with its brief 12 episodes than a lot of shows do with multiple seasons, but beware the janky CG.)

On the other end of the budget spectrum, Lycoris Recoil has some great action scenes and a fun main duo. The overarching plot is pretty flimsy, and it's certainly not universally loved here, but I found it to be a fun time. Also has surprisingly good representation for an anime.

Eighty-Six has a pseudo-WW2 setting, mecha, and a Sawano soundtrack. Per that WW2 setting, you will have to be OK with spending some quality time getting to know the not-zis of this parallel universe, though only a few of them are depicted at all sympathetically.

For romance, My Dress-Up Darling has one of the better male leads and is elevated by Cloverworks putting the work in on the animation. Kaguya: Love is War is great fun and I need to get back to it.

There's a gazillion older shows, but at least some of the ones I would most strongly recommend seem to have gone missing these days, sadly. Post more about your tastes and I can probably suggest a few others.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
If crunchy still had shirobako I would recommend that. Sound eupho 1, mob psycho, keep your hands off eizouken, non non biyori, yuru camp... Some standouts from a quick browse of my watchlist

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Fushigi Yuugi, Love Hina, Darling in the FRANXX, A Couple of Cuckoos, Re: Zero

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas

I'd throw my vote in for Kaguya-Sama Love Is War. One of the funniest series in a good long while with bits of a really sweet romance as well.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
Start watching Bocchi the Rock now so that you can join us on Chirstmas for the finale of this year's AOTY.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions y'all! I've watched all the classics and I've been on Spy x Family since the manga but I'll take all suggestions in mind. Bocchi might be the winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.