Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelo

Aug 24, 2018
Jujutsu Kaisen 2nd Season - END
For me this is my favorite arc of the series, and it's made much much better by the animators.. Nothing but respect for the employees, but dang do they need some rest. A good one.

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
starting end of the year movies backlogs with
Gridman Universe

this was just pure fun in the best trigger way possible while it wasn't the tightest story compared to each of other plots it all took a back seat to give us a nice wrap up of connecting every loose end for all the characters as a good send off with a bonus side of fanservice

looking forward to what ever new version they plan on doing since i don't think this is the last we'll see of this universe

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I thought Shangri-La Frontier was your typical trash Isekai, but it's kind of enjoyable with dorky protagonists.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Shirobako 14-15
Dio's here!
"A voice like Mickey" loool. Funniest episode so far.
FUCK, Shizuka was SO close, goddammit. The acting scene is cutthroat 😔

I like the director when he's in his element. He's got his shit together after Exodus, dude is chill now.

Shirobako 16
Hah! I fucking called it lol. I knew the author wouldn't like something. Everything was going too smoothly. The editor is trash, the author sucks too; being incredibly vague with instructions but will give very detailed criticisms no problem.

Maybe I should give Sakura Quest another chance if I'm liking this so much.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
It was fine, but i didn't finish it, it didn't have the same energy and quality as Shirobako, which is legit one of my absolute favorite animes

Sometimes i think about returning to Sakura Quest which i left in like episode 15 iirc, , just saying that enjoyment of shirobako doesn't indicate that you will have the similar experience with sakura quest

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
It was fine, but i didn't finish it, it didn't have the same energy and quality as Shirobako, which is legit one of my absolute favorite animes

Sometimes i think about returning to Sakura Quest which i left in like episode 15 iirc, , just saying that enjoyment of shirobako doesn't indicate that you will have the similar experience with sakura quest
I think episode 15 was exactly where I left off too lol.

I had a feeling it wouldn't be as enjoyable as Shirobako, it was... okay, not really anything to write home about. I'll think about it after I finish Shirobako.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

I watched Sakura Quest after Shirobako (both were some of the first anime series I'd watched as an adult/ever) and I still like the show even if it's not as good as Shirobako. The one thing I'll say though is that a lot of the appeal for me had to do with learning about tourism and life in rural Japan, which seemed really novel to me at the time, but even someone like me with limited exposure to anime has since realized there are a LOT of anime shows about rural communities and so it probably isn't nearly as interesting for someone who's watched more than I have.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Vexations of a Shut-in Vampire Princess END

I want this to be better. I like the characters and their motivations, but the world/fiction is so not conducive to good story telling. They want peace, but they always fight. They die, but no actually they all come back. Even when they look dead, moments later they're back fighting again. They're weak, no they're actually top tier world dominators.

It's just too at odds with itself that it takes away from what seems like an interesting cast. Also, the relationships that could be there get very little attention. The end cliffhangers the relationship stuff instead.

Maybe it's better in the LN? But I'm not sure this was enough of a hook to get me onboard with what looks like a 12+ LN run.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
I watched Sakura Quest after Shirobako (both were some of the first anime series I'd watched as an adult/ever) and I still like the show even if it's not as good as Shirobako. The one thing I'll say though is that a lot of the appeal for me had to do with learning about tourism and life in rural Japan, which seemed really novel to me at the time, but even someone like me with limited exposure to anime has since realized there are a LOT of anime shows about rural communities and so it probably isn't nearly as interesting for someone who's watched more than I have.
I think Tamako Market is a notable series about a rural community. I didn't even like it that much but I thought it was more notable than Sakura Quest.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Konohana Kitan END

This show wasn't what I was expecting in a good way. Come for what looks like a fluffy lighthearted show, stay for the folklore, myths, and tearing up. Last episode even had a cool time travel twist I wasn't expecting. Great relaxing show.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Wrapped Apothecary Diaries 1st cour. What a wonderful show, it did essentially everything right and always kept you invested and guessing what would happen next. I wish more anime was based on plain old regular fantasy books and LNs that stick more to that style.

I even recommended it to my prestige TV and occasional palace drama enjoying parents.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Shirobako 17-19
Coming from someone with bad social skills, Kunogi is ridiculous. She's adorable, but ridiculous. Bocchi looks like a party animal in comparison.

Yay, Yano is back! Too bad they spoiled her reappearance on the thumbnail 🙄. Yeah, it was inevitable that Aoi was going to get stressed out with the workload, just like Kukuru.

It seems like Aoi's got like 3 different outfits per episode. Girl's got drip.
Can they make a spin-off of Third Aerial Girls' Squad

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Bocchi looks like a party animal in comparison.

508.gif

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
Bunny senpai movie 2

it was fine apart of me wonders if i want more of this because there seems to be a endless amount of content left and i came out feeling like yeah im happy seeing more of this series it's sorta a comfort food at this point now so keep it coming!

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
GuP is one of the MOST 'this concept is stupid' (watches one episode) 'actually this concept rules' i've ever seen

Also in the main anime at least (not with most of the spinoffs) they are UNAPOLOGETICALLY full of fanservice... but the fanservice is for military otaku who are in love with tanks

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
Shirobako 17-19
Coming from someone with bad social skills, Kunogi is ridiculous. She's adorable, but ridiculous. Bocchi looks like a party animal in comparison.

Yay, Yano is back! Too bad they spoiled her reappearance on the thumbnail 🙄. Yeah, it was inevitable that Aoi was going to get stressed out with the workload, just like Kukuru.

It seems like Aoi's got like 3 different outfits per episode. Girl's got drip.
Can they make a spin-off of Third Aerial Girls' Squad
IIRC, they do have a full episode of Third Aerial Girls' Squad as one of the OVAs for Shirobako.
Also, give The Magnificent Kotobuki a shot since its from the same director as GuP and Shirobako

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkbRF2wMT94

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
The joke is that GuP and Shirobako have the same director.

GuP is amazing, you will like it.
GuP is one of the MOST 'this concept is stupid' (watches one episode) 'actually this concept rules' i've ever seen

Also in the main anime at least (not with most of the spinoffs) they are UNAPOLOGETICALLY full of fanservice... but the fanservice is for military otaku who are in love with tanks
My watchlist is never going to end 😩😩
IIRC, they do have a full episode of Third Aerial Girls' Squad as one of the OVAs for Shirobako.
Also, give The Magnificent Kotobuki a shot since its from the same director as GuP and Shirobako

I'll look up the OVA. I noticed that they have one for Exodus as well.

Too many shows lol

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
GUP is the goat took japan by storm when it first came out and still has been releasing movies up till last year think i have one left to watch
it's such a charming dumb series lol also if theres one anime i can think of that has a big multicultural fandom it's that

Apr 24, 2018
Finished watching Rurouni Kenshin (2023) S1 and Dark Gathering S1 during my recent time off from work.

Kenshin thoughts:

Controversies with the author of the Kenshin manga aside, the original show holds a very special place in my heart as it's one of the three anime I watched in 1999 that really hooked me and got me into the anime medium. I got to watch all three in Japanese which really drove my appreciation for the medium, even as a young kid. The VA for Kenshin in the reboot leaves a lot to be desired. The woman who voiced him in the OG adaptation was perfect, imo.

And the music...what a huge letdown. The OG show has one of my favorite OSTs for a videogame/anime ever. The music in the new shows is just so...meh. Like, it's not bad per se, but there isn't a single memorable track. Whereas with the OG, I still have certain pieces of music that pop up in my head over 20 years later. Huge missed opportunity for the reboot here, imo.

That being said, I've literally been waiting for over 20 years to see the Jinchu Arc animated, and I am in it all the way through even if it winds up continuing to be a mediocre show. I'd probably rate this a 6/10.

Dark Gathering thoughts:
Normally I'm not a particularly big fan of either monster of the week type shows or occult themes, but I surprisingly enjoyed this show far more than I expected. While I wouldn't say that there was anything that it did exceptionally well, it stayed entertaining enough all of the way through. I watched the show all the way through and didn't get burned out towards the end, as I do with many other shows (even 12 episode ones) these days. I'd rate this a 7.5/10, and I'll definitely watch a second season if/when it happens.

Angelo

Aug 24, 2018
Pokemon Paldean Winds - END
A short, but sweet and very enjoyable four episodes! My favorite parts are definitely Tinkaton trying to hunt Corviknight, Fuecoco delivering the flute to their trainer, and Meowscarada asking for a toy. Ah and of course the final episode is nice.

I honestly would take a full cour or more of these. Really liked the art direction, it's gorgeous, and overall it has lots of good cuts. Onwards to Pokemon Concierge!

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Shirobako 20
I was holding back any comments on Hiraoka because he's the obvious "oh don't worry he gets better" character but I'm at my limit.

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Wonderful film. Nausicaä is such a great character. Gorgeous visuals, especially for a wasteland.

The music is SOOOOO GOOD. Little tidbit, but I recognized one of the songs that played in that one Bocchi scene and busted out laughing. And it was one of the best scenes of the film too 😭

Cried so hard at the ending. This is going in the favorites for sure.

/XX/

Oct 25, 2017
Spain

Yes, please! Didn't catch-on as other projects helmed by Mr. Mizushima (well, didn't do that badly for what was a very competent advertisement for a mobile phone "gacha" video-game), but you could feel the excellent effort put into not only its animation, but more overlooked aspects in non-theatrical projects such as mechanical and sound design... the former being focus of a separate "educational" segment. I mean, the recap film ('MX4D' version) even removed the use of music during the final "dogfight", to better highlight its audio effects' soundscape.

Last edited:

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
Will 2024 be the year Bakemonogatari isn't 360p on crunchyroll and they get the rest of the episodes? Was also in the mood to rewatch Haibane Renmei but I guess that didn't make it over to crunchyroll and looks to have also been removed on Funimation. Sad times

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
I've been waiting forever to start Bakemonogatari but refused out of principle because all the episodes aren't available. They're available on bluray but I'd rather not sell a kidney to buy it. My friend said she might buy it and would let me borrow it but I doubt she'll pay those prices lol

The moment you hear "OVA" associated with Aniplex or studio Shaft, abandon all hope.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
Will 2024 be the year Bakemonogatari isn't 360p on crunchyroll and they get the rest of the episodes?

This whole series is a mess on Crunchyroll. They don't have Kizu, Koyomi, and Zoku Owari. They also threw Hana at the end of Second Season even though the SS Blu-ray box set actually fixes its location. I'm not sure, but it looks like everything is the tv version. Bake is hurt the most because of missing episodes, but everything benefits from the Blu-ray releases. You can't really watch this series without paying an arm and a leg or sailing.

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting forever to start Bakemonogatari but refused out of principle because all the episodes aren't available. They're available on bluray but I'd rather not sell a kidney to buy it. My friend said she might buy it and would let me borrow it but I doubt she'll pay those prices lol

The moment you hear "OVA" associated with Aniplex or studio Shaft, abandon all hope.

This whole series is a mess on Crunchyroll. They don't have Kizu, Koyomi, and Zoku Owari. They also threw Hana at the end of Second Season even though the SS Blu-ray box set actually fixes its location. I'm not sure, but it looks like everything is the tv version. Bake is hurt the most because of missing episodes, but everything benefits from the Blu-ray releases. You can't really watch this series without paying an arm and a leg or sailing.
the thing is the HD versions and the rest of the episodes are right there on Funimation. Koyomi is on there and Hanamonogatari is divided up into episodes!

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
the thing is the HD versions and the rest of the episodes are right there on Funimation. Koyomi is on there and Hanamonogatari is divided up into episodes!
I had to have like 3 tabs open between Crunchyroll, Funimation and Wikipedia but holy shit the vast majority ARE available on streaming.

The only ones missing are Koyomi, Owari 2 and Zoku.

Why did they make this such a fucking puzzle to find. Hopefully they get all of them available on CR forreal. Let me tell my friend before she has to sell her house to buy the bluray

Edit: fuck, the movie isn't available though
Edit 2: Owari 2 is available on Funimation

Last edited:

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I had to have like 3 tabs open between Crunchyroll, Funimation and Wikipedia but holy shit the vast majority ARE available on streaming.

The only ones missing are Koyomi, Owari 2 and Zoku.

Why did they make this such a fucking puzzle to find. Hopefully they get all of them available on CR forreal. Let me tell my friend before she has to sell her house to buy the bluray

Is there a place to purchase this stuff digitally that folks recommend? I don't really do physical stuff anymore (was able to sell off a dozen bookcases years ago and don't want to get back into that).

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017

Amazon lets you rent the Kizu movies at $4 each or buy them at $12 each. Those are the prices for the HD versions. SD is cheaper. So at least there is an option besides the expensive Blu-rays. There's still the problem that Zoku Owari isn't available outside of the Blu-ray release.

Also remember to watch the series in the correct order:
edomonogatari.wordpress.com

Guide to the Monogatari Anime

Where, why, and how to watch the (in)famous Monogatari series.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon lets you rent the Kizu movies at $4 each or buy them at $12 each. Those are the prices for the HD versions. SD is cheaper. So at least there is an option besides the expensive Blu-rays. There's still the problem that Zoku Owari isn't available outside of the Blu-ray release.

Oh nice thank you!

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga

Oh dope, I didn't think Aniplex did digital considering... you know, Aniplex.

Now do I rent them or should I wait for that movie compilation coming out next year 🤔
That watch order tho 😵‍💫
Is there a place to purchase this stuff digitally that folks recommend? I don't really do physical stuff anymore (was able to sell off a dozen bookcases years ago and don't want to get back into that).
I don't see much Aniplex licensed series for digital, I'm noticing a few movies tho. Looks like I should buy Madoka Rebellion

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
That watch order tho 😵‍💫

Only complex part is watching Hana as the third arc of six in Second Season. That's where it is in the novels and the SS Blu-ray box set puts it in the correct location. That's why I complained earlier that Crunchyroll threw it at the end of Second Season. Funimation does the same. Shaft couldn't adapt all six Second Season novels in one go. It seems they could not do a 28 episode season on tv. So they picked Hana to push out and adapt later.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Only complex part is watching Hana as the third arc of six in Second Season. That's where it is in the novels and the SS Blu-ray box set puts it in the correct location. That's why I complained earlier that Crunchyroll threw it at the end of Second Season. Funimation does the same. Shaft couldn't adapt all six Second Season novels in one go. It seems they could not do a 28 episode season on tv. So they picked Hana to push out and adapt later.
This is insane
I need a faq to keep up with a show looool

Idk if it was a price error or not but Amazon has Kizu movie 3 SD for a dollar so I just bought it just because.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
The link I posted earlier is essentially that. Just not presented in FAQ form.

Anyway, so long as you follow the order on that link, you're good to go!
I know, I was just saying it's wild that I have to do it lol

Kinda weird to sub to Funimation at this point tho, idk why they haven't migrated everything to CR yet.

Thanks for the help! I've been waiting forever to watch this

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
Overtake! (END)

This is up there with Frieren as my favorite show of the season.

I feel like I've seen a lot of people confused (or acting confused) about this show due to its focus on character drama even if it is based around F4 racing. I'm not sure why. Sports stories are just stories, and while storytelling in a sports anime can be focused on creating, building, and showing exciting showdowns (like how some shounen battle shows come down to booking cool fights), it can also be a vehicle for personal stories, a setting within which characters can develop, learn, and grow. From Overtake's first episode, focused on outsider photographer Madoka Kouya's first visit to Fuji Speedway, it's been clear that it's the latter sort of story.

I've been a fan of director Ei Aoki's work since Fate/Zero, but what impressed me the most about this original series is the quality of the writing. Overtake gradually introduces and juggles meaningful plotlines for Kouya, young racer Haruka on underdog team Komaki Motors, and the two aces on top team Belsorisso, Satsuki and Tokumaru. All of these build naturally, conclude in a satisfying way, and naturally interrelate. Just as importantly, the dialogue feels true to its characters, natural, and fun. Even when it needs to stop and explain the sport, Overtake trusts the audience and the director enough to allow characters to leave things unsaid and have us pick up on the implications.

That trust is really well-placed. Aoki has often of late worked on bombastic, high-concept action series like Aldnoah.Zero, Re:Creators, and ID:Invaded, so it's easy to forget how fundamentally sound a storyteller he is, as he demonstrated before Fate/Zero in the excellent adaptation of trans coming-of-age tale Wandering Son. Reuniting again with the author of that manga, Takako Shimura, on the character concepts (shown in her style in Overtake's end credits), he and his team know how to build readable storyboards and how to use montage (in the classic film-studies sense) to draw us in to the relationships in each scene and what each character is going through. When we see Kouya running into stop signs as he tries to find sponsors for Komaki Motors, or Haruka's popsicle melting on the ground as he's reminded of his losses, or Haruka and Kouya sitting on vertically unmatched surfaces while obscured by the foreground as Kouya struggles to open up about his trauma, we can understand immediately what is happening without having to be explicitly told. Character animation is excellent throughout as well. I think it was episode four (and particularly the scene where Haruka, Komaki engineer Kotaro, and childhood friend and Belsorisso grid girl Alice are walking from school together) where I started to feel how special the series was, with snappy dialogue and expressive character animation that also served the plot and themes of the episode. It was fun.

It all coheres into a well-told story about understanding and pursuing what you want while dealing with the traumas and hangups holding you back. I was especially impressed with the stretch from episode 6 through episode 9. Satsuki's crash rebounds on every character in the series and forces all of them to grow and confront what is important to them. Satsuki in particular shows unexpected depth, an example of how much care Overtake has for all of its characters. And episode 9, framed around the memory of the 2011 Tohoku quake and tsunami, is both powerful and tasteful.

It's a great series. I haven't discussed the racing much, and I do think it's good, with the show making effective use of its 3D-modeled track to pull off some really dynamic camerawork to frame the action. But it's not the emphasis. It's a vehicle for the characters to learn who they are. At that it's tremendously successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.