• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Tesla announced 10TF GPU when they unveiled Plaid Model S.

tesla_model_s_witcher_3_3.jpg

Currently gaming is possible in Tesla cars only in Park mode.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I don't see why they would stick a gaming GPU or APU in the car (other than to mark up hardware packages), when they could cut costs and just focus on streaming like xCloud or Stadia or whatever. Likelihood you're in a city with connection is good, and the only time I see you playing stuff is when you're waiting on your charger. 5G should be good enough by the time anyone is driving these and is on long road trips ...

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
When will Tesla sell modified honking MP3s so you can play Darude Standstorm by honking?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
My guess is the autopilot isn't exactly a computationally lightweight application. It's probably heavily using machine learning or something to be able to identify traffic signs, pedestrians, other cars, etc.
It is exactly this. The GPUs main focus are these tasks.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
makes sense they have a custom supercomputer in terms of the main chip

they obviously have a way to harness it for games

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
It is exactly this. The GPUs main focus are these tasks.
Last I checked, Tesla uses custom designed hardware for AI tasks. I haven't seen any indication that this is for anything other than in-car entertainment.
or
It's only a matter of time before someone builds a bitcoin farm made of cars now.
"a matter of time" = the previous several months
"someone" = Elon Musk

The amount of electricity electric cars use to move makes bitcoin mining look like a bit of statistical noise. Especially when there's been firmware updates to improve motor efficiency that increase range by dozens of miles.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck do you need a gpu in a fucking car, this is so stupid
My guess is the autopilot isn't exactly a computationally lightweight application. It's probably heavily using machine learning or something to be able to identify traffic signs, pedestrians, other cars, etc.
Nvidia has been developing an AI Self-Driving system that uses their GPU architecture. Tesla uses a similar concept but with their own hardware.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
No buttons on the console and you have to go through 59 screens to change the direction of if the A/C while you drive, but at least you can play PC games.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
electric cars still can require you to stop and charge for 10/20/30 minutes at a time, these kinds of things are meant as diversions while you charge, not to be used while someone is driving.
The GPU isn't for the tablet, its for the driving systems, it just so happens to be available for other things when the car is stopped.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
The GPU isn't for the tablet, its for the driving systems, it just so happens to be available for other things when the car is stopped.
Is it? I've only seen references to it being used for the entertainment system. Like I said before, Tesla's developed their own AI chips that are supposed to be much better than nvidia's at AI tasks, so I'm not sure if what's basically a PS5 is going to be much of a step up for that.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
While it's probably good it's locked while driving, it would kind of be nice for passengers if they could still play, browse the web, or watch movies.

Maybe they should add another screen for backseat passengers, that can be used while driving. That would be amazing for trips.

Either way, this could be great when stuck at a charging station for a while.

Who's in their car long enough to need to play videogames on it?

I regularly took the family on road trips before the pandemic. A 5-7 hour trip was pretty normal every few months, but I live in Canada....