Arubedo

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 24, 2018
Morocco

View: https://twitter.com/middleeast/status/1616380771832401922?s=20
blog.google

A difficult decision to set us up for the future

As an almost 25\u002Dyear\u002Dold company, we’re bound to go through difficult economic cycles.

I have some difficult news to share. We've decided to reduce our workforce by approximately 12,000 roles. We've already sent a separate email to employees in the US who are affected. In other countries, this process will take longer due to local laws and practices. Over the past two years we've seen periods of dramatic growth. To match and fuel that growth, we hired for a different economic reality than the one we face today. To the Googlers who are leaving us: Thank you for working so hard to help people and businesses everywhere. Your contributions have been invaluable and we are grateful for them.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So many people affected in a very short amount of time. Meta, Amazon, Microsoft and now Google.

I saw a prediction that it could mean a new boom of companies popping up.

toutoune134

Nov 7, 2017
Are there even enough job opportunities on the market for the 40k employees who lost their job in Tech in the last few days?

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
So obviously the tech companies over hired during the pandemic but these massive layoffs arent due to poor balance sheets or declining business models. This is purely for wall street and C-suite stock bonuses. They really want to induce a recession and bring the wage balance back in their favor.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see executives actually "taking the blame" by cutting 99% of their own salaries and stock grants, but let's be honest that's never going to happen.

AEF1907

Fallen Guardian Corrupted by Vengeance
Dec 18, 2021
Google made alone in the last quarter over 13b in profit, second best result in the company's history. I think there is nothing more to say...

Ombretoile

Banned
Sep 8, 2022

View: https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1616386839518085121

Google SEO Sundar Pichai announced the cuts in an email to staff on Friday and a blog post. The job losses constitute around 6 percent of Google's global workforce, compared to recent layoffs at Microsoft (10,000 jobs or 5 percent of the workforce), Amazon (18,000 jobs / 6 percent), and Meta (11,000 / 13 percent).

In his blog post, Pichai said the layoffs marked a moment to for the company to "sharpen our focus, reengineer our cost base, and direct our talent and capital to our highest priorities." The CEO noted that artificial intelligence would be a key area going forward.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
Geez I guess they were just waiting for one company to get the ball going down hill.

This absolutely sucks.

Jul 2, 2021

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Basically this. IMO, all these layoffs are out of fear based on predictions that haven't really shown any signs of bearing out.

I dunno. There's been talk of a recession for a while now. And Im hesitant to think that all of these companies (not even just tech) are laying off so so SO many if they don't have a good idea that things are going to get a little tight later this year. I don't think its going to be armageddon or anything, and Im sure greed drives a large portion of this, but there is so much smoke.

I'm definitely expecting a rocky economy this year. Some serious canary in the coalmine type stuff here.

Jibreel

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely expecting a rocky economy this year. Some serious canary in the coalmine type stuff here.

Wouldn't China finally opening up and easing restrictions relieve export concerns thus improving the economy more than the past two previous years? Could someone ELI5 why there are concerns over a recession now when our GDP grew last quarter even prior to China finally opening up?

TurkishDelight

C++ Developer at Microsoft
Banned
Oct 5, 2022
I dunno. There's been talk of a recession for a while now. And Im hesitant to think that all of these companies (not even just tech) are laying off so so SO many if they don't have a good idea that things are going to get a little tight later this year. I don't think its going to be armageddon or anything, and Im sure greed drives a large portion of this, but there is so much smoke.

i dont think higher ups at these companies are geniues or anything. They make shitty decisions all the time

oxymoron

Oct 27, 2017
This is the hangover from the pandemic boom for these companies... back down to earth.
Yeah, it really can't be overstated how much of a hiring spree these companies went on.

Google had 135,000 employees in 2020
156,000 in 2021
187,000 in October 2022

Cutting 12,000 employees leaves them with about as many employees as they had in June 2022, still 20k more than they had at the start of 2022!

It's obviously a huge disruption and huge life event for the laid-off people, but man, these companies have gotten fat in the past few years.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
If a recession hasn't hit yet (due to pandemic) I honestly don't see it happening. These companies are just lemmings. Greedy ones.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I think Google hired like 40-60k employees since COVID started. That's total headcount, not churn. A correction isn't surprising given the rest of the industry. Even 6% is surprising.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017

There's no 4D chess happening here. These companies are laying off people to make their books look better; that's it. All these massive companies could easily retain every single one of these employees, weather whatever storm is coming, and still make massive profits this year, but they won't because then those profits on paper will look smaller than last year's -- and they won't stand for that.

darkdieu

Alt Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2022
Record profits.

Fires everyone just so ceos make even more money. I doubt any of these lost jobs were people just being idle for years. See record profits.

Shits so transparent.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
There's no 4D chess happening here. These companies are laying off people to make their books look better; that's it. All these massive companies could easily retain every single one of these employees, weather whatever storm is coming, and still make massive profits this year, but they won't because then those profits on paper will look smaller than last year's -- and they won't stand for that.

Oh I mean, I know that. But, Im also interested in what's going to cause those profits on paper to look smaller than last years. It really feels like some kind of downturn in general is coming with so many companies cutting workforce in preparation of a need to keep their profits up. I'm wondering how big whatever it is will be. Its starting to get concerning.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
It's sickening to see headlines that basically read "the richest companies in the world doing mass firings". Not "struggling company does layoffs".

Nope. Fire thousands of people to get a temporary stock price bump. And then pay out more millions in executive bonuses for making such "courageous, tough decisions".

Oct 25, 2017

For the greater US Economy? Not sure I'd go with that. The tech sector grew exponentially over the last 10 years with some of these companies more than doubling head count. It was simply not sustainable once the interest began to be cut.

twofold

Oct 28, 2017
This shows why America needs better labour laws.

I have two friends who work at the Google London office and they're now going to have to go through an agonising consultation process that will last two-three months during which time they won't know if they have a job or not. They're both envious of their US counterparts who are getting large severance payments and will be able to immediately start thinking about next steps.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
why did all these companies hire up so much during covid

What was made during that time that justifies the hiring spree

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
I have two friends who work at the Google London office and they're now going to have to go through an agonising consultation process that will last two-three months during which time they won't know if they have a job or not. They're both envious of their US counterparts who are getting large severance payments and will be able to immediately start thinking about next steps.

Doesn't that mean they have two to three months to prepare and look for work while still getting paid at google?

oxymoron

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't that mean they have two to three months to prepare and look for work while still getting paid at google?
The US workers know, right now, that they're still getting paid for two months, and, on top of that, they're getting at least four months' salary worth of severance (+2 weeks for each year they've worked).

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely shit management of these companies. Total absolute failure of reading the market on top of total greed.
So obviously the tech companies over hired during the pandemic but these massive layoffs arent due to poor balance sheets or declining business models. This is purely for wall street and C-suite stock bonuses. They really want to induce a recession and bring the wage balance back in their favor.
Yup if this was a poor balance sheet or massive decline in revenue okay makes sense. But yeah this isn't the case at all.

crimilde

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 26, 2017
A friend who works for Google just told me about this this morning. Fucking awful. She's gonna be in a permanent state of anxiety until they know who will be laid off, they have no idea right now if her team will be impacted or not.

Last edited: