• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Yeah MHW has no legs. I remember people thought based on the initial sales of 6M in its first week(?) that it would slowly grow to 12M LTD, but instead it just kind of dropped off.

That said, it surely must have done much, much better than they initially thought. I'm assuming the stock also had a big rise in Jan-Feb?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
From what i did hear MHW was kind of a flavor of the month type thing & no G-rank turned off a lot of long time players, share holders were probably expecting it's sales to keep going but it's maybe halted below 10mil, which is still amazing, but yeah share holders are about all that green.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It was their biggest release ever and is in big boy consoles know. So expectations are probably higher and it's being compared to the biggest game as a service titles out there....they probably expect Capcom to be a bit more pro-active in terms of promoting the game and keeping the current players engaged.

Monster Hunter Battle Pass when? I can only see it as a risk if being compared with Overwatch, Fortnite etc. For a "traditional" it pretty much did what it was supposed to.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I do think there's an argument to be had that they should have had a notably better service model on the game if they wanted to monetize it as an ongoing platform, but uh, it was relatively clear hat wasn't happening prior to launch.

This wasn't going to be Rainbow Six.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I can't see the PC port doing as well as they hoped with that late release at full price. Here's hoping it's a quality port, at least.
It could have crossed 10mil with PC at launch, but i do think that late $60 port is gonna hurt them, we have seen Dark Souls 3 push over 3mil copies on Steam, there is a crowd on PC for these Action games.
Course im not saying MH is Souls, just somewhat similar.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Ad hoc Co-Op play kept the portable versions relevant and on the charts in Japan forever.

No idea about the US, but it dropped off the charts quicker in Japan than any portable entry.

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised, relative lack of content and no real monetization. Once you get over the visual upgrade and QOL improvements there's not much to do

san00ake

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
This sounds like what happened with Tomb Raider a few years ago, where the game sold extremely well but still not enough to meet the extremely aggressive expectations the publisher had (something like 3 million against 6 million or something like that).

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
How did the PS4 version do in Japan? I feel this is a case of it not selling as much in Japan and the player base falling off, maybe? Such a great game but I feel people moved on and it's not had the staying power in Japan as other releases.

Oct 25, 2017
Their profits peaked with MHW. There is no other MHW on the horizon, so of course they were going to lose some of the short term investors who were only riding that game's success.

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
It's worth noting that Capcom stock pretty much doubled the past year (from Jul 2017) so the expectations where sky high so 11% isn't that crazy.

Honestly, this says more about the investors than Capcom themselves.

This put things into perspective, makes sense that it would go down a bit after the "hype" cooled down.

Same goes for the Nintendo stock really.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Popularity dying down sixth months after its release is their metrix? What do they expect, exactly?
They expected it to be more active considering that this one was designed more like a GaaS.
Content updates aren't big and regular enough to keep interest I guess, nor is the monetisation good enough.

But hey, until we get their DAU and similar stats...

Oct 28, 2017
Pff, there were people already complaining about 59,99 Price point on the PC port release

The most they can do is follow the Destiny model and release feature poor DLC for $20. But that will burn them pretty quickly, so that's not smart either. Maybe try the Overwatch model of free content updates and try to make money on cosmetics.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
Well, selling MHW on the PC for this price is guaranteed to cost them sales :)

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like some deranged dummy put that comment together. The game sold like crazy and everyone is bonkers over the RE2 remake.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do think there's an argument to be had that they should have had a notably better service model on the game if they wanted to monetize it as an ongoing platform, but uh, it was relatively clear hat wasn't happening prior to launch.

This wasn't going to be Rainbow Six.

Maybe investors expected after the huge success of the game. I guess the fear is coming from the fact they doubt this could be a service game that keeps gaining players and popularity instead of just another very frontloaded saleswise SP-like game

OP
OP
Pablo Mesa

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
The most they can do is follow the Destiny model and release feature poor DLC for $20. But that will burn them pretty quickly, so that's not smart either. Maybe try the Overwatch model of free content updates and try to make money on cosmetics.
not sure how cosmetics would work as a big load of the time spent in world was farming to make teh armor sets you liked.

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
What the actual fuck. This really makes no sense but eh...

Time to announce the expansion at Gamescom or TGS (probably more realistically the latter). G-rank is the actual legs of MH-games.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Ad hoc Co-Op play kept the portable versions relevant and on the charts in Japan forever.

No idea about the US, but it dropped off the charts quicker in Japan than any portable entry.

It sold nearly 8 million.

all they had to do was keep creating content. which they did, but arguably not fast enough.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe investors expected after the huge success of the game. I guess the fear is coming from the fact they doubt this could be a service game that keeps gaining players and popularity instead of just another very frontloaded saleswise SP-like game
Yeah, I suspect they assumed this would work like Battlefield or Rainbow Six or something of that nature and support Capcom for years, and then realized it wouldn't.

Presumably Resident Evil 2 and Devil May Cry V are largely one and done games too.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Surely a switch version would sell like crazy. They should have got someone with experience to do it for them.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
This put things into perspective, makes sense that it would go down a bit after the "hype" cooled down.

Same goes for the Nintendo stock really.

It's still kind of strange that there was an expectation that this would continue to sell... I have MHW, but I haven't noticed a lot of GaaS stuff yet, is it really prevalent? Seems like they have a pretty much filled up pipeline as well.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
~2.9-3m including digital, which completely obliterated all expectations.
True,
thing is ....on PSP and 3DS they were able to sell those numbrrs every 12-18 months with a new release.

So it will be interesting to see when the next PS4 MH releases, what it will offer and how the market will embrace it.

A MHW G version for 30-40 bucks at retail with possibility to upgrade the base game to the G Version for a bit less.

The question is how many are gonna make the jump and or how many are satisfied for this gen with what MHW offered.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter legs definitely died after World, even though it sold incredibly well for a short amount of time
I did found that super weird.

OP
OP
Pablo Mesa

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
MHW doesn't leg that's true, but it's still the best fucking selling Capcom game of all time. All other MH with legs couldn't even come close to MHW in term of sale. And the PC version isn't even out yet.
but we also dont know what was Capcom cost, true 3DS MH "only" did about 4M, but it was 3DS toaster with several yearly games being an enhanced re-release, so dev cost was likely lower that whatever MHW is (which we dont know)

MHW having big sales but no legs kinda of goes with my view that the game sold a lost on its Novelty factor

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Hot takes already I see

Chalfonts drive by posts in any Capcom thread are well documented at this point.

This sounds like what happened with Tomb Raider a few years ago, where the game sold extremely well but still not enough to meet the extremely aggressive expectations the publisher had (something like 3 million against 6 million or something like that).

For Capcom this game exceeded expectations massively. This isn't a Tomb Raider situation at all.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I guess investor care more about a game selling for a long time than being frontloaded. I do think they could have done way more to keep players engaged.

Though with the PC version coming we might be seeing a sizable resurgence of the game so it might be premature to say the sales are done.

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to parse out what the risk factor is, but it could be the risk of PC underselling in the latter half of the year. The game sold massively out the gate, but it slowed down into the summer, and I'm guessing PC is being released to pick up the slack.

Juste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think that the development costs for that game must've been so steep, that they literally have to sell millions upon millions of copies just to make a profit.

It's an MT Framework title, where they have like 15 years of experience and knowledge base. The assets are also nowhere near contemporary Quad-A titles quality. They could have bungled and restarted the production from scratch (at FFXV levels of incompetence) and still not required millions upon millions of copies to turn a profit. I would be stunned if actual the development exceeded $50 million.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
They expect what others co-op mp games are doing: keeping their player base engaged so they keep making money and sales in a constant rate.

They expected it to be more active considering that this one was designed more like a GaaS.
Content updates aren't big and regular enough to keep interest I guess, nor is the monetisation good enough.

But hey, until we get their DAU and similar stats...
Yeah, but with their low effort GaaS model they shouldn't expect much.

Monster hunter usually had legs that last longer than this
Even though they never sell as fast as this?

not sure how cosmetics would work as a big load of the time spent in world was farming to make teh armor sets you liked.
But armor sets have stats. Sometimes you like the look a particular set of armor but you can't use it on the upcoming hunt.

GundamStyle

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
They are basically shunning capcom for not earning money numbers like fortnight. They want the game to make more via DLC and Cosmetics. And are saying moving forward it is a disappointment as a game as a service.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
A big problem for the series going forward is that Capcom wont be able to pull their G release scam in the west that they've been getting away with in Japan for a decade. The western audience wont accept that sort of upgrade for anything less than 10 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.