Slashkice

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to this, the book made me a Blake Crouch fan. This, Recursion, and Upgrade are all bangers.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
First 2 episodes are up and they're great. Pretty much 1:1 with the book. I got my wife and daughter to watch and they're hooked. The second episode has a huge cliffhanger and I'm sure book readers know what it is.

HelloMeow

Oct 25, 2017
I found the book a little disappointing. I thought it was very derivative and predictable. But I can see it being entertaining as a show, so I'll give it a go.

Mister Ursine

Sep 10, 2023
Caught the first 2 eps, really digging it so far.

The little Nintendo Switch *SNAP* noise they do when it switches universes is a little goofy but that's just a nitpick on my part. I'm more invested here than another recent Apple TV+ show that tried a similar concept. The pacing is very breezy. They got to the good stuff by the end of Episode 1 and characters are figuring things out by the end of Ep 2. Cliffhanger for Ep 2 has me so mad lol. I need more

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Yea I enjoyed the first 2 episodes. Its not Silo, but its better than most of the other Apple exclusive thriller/mystery shows.

Embiid

Feb 20, 2021
Thanks for the reminder whoever bumped this. I've no doubt we've got another Apple sci-fi banger on our hands

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Long hair JC, good lord.

edit - really good two eps, fuck waiting.

Last edited:

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Wow first 2 episodes were really entertaining. Watched the preview for the rest of the season after the end of Episode 2 and think it maybe answered my question of whether the story would just focus on these 2 worlds, as it sounds like there's a lot of multiverse shenanigans coming up.

Haven't read the book so not sure what to expect beyond that, but definitely a promising start. One of those shows I could see myself binging through in a few days if they weren't releasing weekly lol.

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
First episode didn't grip me at all. I feel like I have seen this story told many times before and honestly everything felt quite generic.

Execution was good, just too much of a sense of "been there, done that" for me to enjoy it.

I'll give episode 2 a chance just to see if things get more interesting or unique or head off in a direction I'm not expecting.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
First episode didn't grip me at all. I feel like I have seen this story told many times before and honestly everything felt quite generic.

Execution was good, just too much of a sense of "been there, done that" for me to enjoy it.

I'll give episode 2 a chance just to see if things get more interesting or unique or head off in a direction I'm not expecting.
I will say, having read the book I had the exact same impression for the first few chapters and then stuff gets very rapidly much much weirder. Blake Crouch tends to have these very obvious three act structures to his novels (at least the ones I've read) where the story makes these discrete jumps into bigger and bigger scales. If they stay book faithful the last couple episodes of this are going to be nuts.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Yes-as a book reader I can say the majority of the book is pretty standard sci-fi stuff with a fast pace and cool ideas-but the last 1/3 is fucking crazy. True existential nightmare stuff.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Very good so far! I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Glad I watched episode 2 the day before episode 3 drops...

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
Wow first 2 episodes were really entertaining. Watched the preview for the rest of the season after the end of Episode 2 and think it maybe answered my question of whether the story would just focus on these 2 worlds, as it sounds like there's a lot of multiverse shenanigans coming up.

Haven't read the book so not sure what to expect beyond that, but definitely a promising start. One of those shows I could see myself binging through in a few days if they weren't releasing weekly lol.

You haven't even started to conceptualize where the story will go. I won't say more than that. You're in for a good ride if you enjoy it so far.

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I've been needing a good sci-fi show to watch after 3 Body Problem. Don't know anything about this and haven't watched a trailer, but I'm excited to jump in tonight.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
Yes-as a book reader I can say the majority of the book is pretty standard sci-fi stuff with a fast pace and cool ideas-but the last 1/3 is fucking crazy. True existential nightmare stuff.
I thought the first 2/3rds was lame af with the last 1/3rd veering into insane stephen king territory

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The trailer at the end of the second episode (past all the translation credits, don't miss it!) bears out the craziness. The first 2 episodes are fairly pedestrian but this certainly seems like it's gonna go places.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Errr I know all pseudo science is just to get to the premise, but it was hard to forgive some holes in episode 3:
How Leighton didn't know about the drug or how the box works, how the box can work with two people inside it (two cats), how the previous people would injected himself with the drug if they were wearing hazmat suits

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
I'm truly excited to see Jason enter the box and I can't wait to see his journey play out. This show has been so darn good so far.

Nomujoa

Oct 30, 2017
Unsure about this show so far but the 3rd episode was enjoyable - but I really need to turn my brain off. The writing is functional but what characters say vs what they mean does take me out of the experience more often than I would like:

I understand for Leighton that the return journey is the part he doesn't understand, but the character and dialogue is written that he doesn't understand how any of it works - making us take him look more like an idiot than a threat. Ryan is implied to be working on the drug in secret with just Jason2, but it's actually with all of Velocity - but because of Jason2s story it comes across that this is all part of his master plan. If the show had spent of its time demonstrating who Leighton is outside of the coverup we might have better understood what Jason is up against. Looks like we are permanently moving on from this world which begs the question - If Leighton and Velocity are not very consequential to the overall plot - then why spend over 2 full episodes with them?

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
nintendo-switch-snap.gif

Every time, lol

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
just watched the 1st ep
pretty obvious what they were going for but sure i'll continue watching

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Unsure about this show so far but the 3rd episode was enjoyable - but I really need to turn my brain off. The writing is functional but what characters say vs what they mean does take me out of the experience more often than I would like:

I understand for Leighton that the return journey is the part he doesn't understand, but the character and dialogue is written that he doesn't understand how any of it works - making us take him look more like an idiot than a threat. Ryan is implied to be working on the drug in secret with just Jason2, but it's actually with all of Velocity - but because of Jason2s story it comes across that this is all part of his master plan. If the show had spent of its time demonstrating who Leighton is outside of the coverup we might have better understood what Jason is up against. Looks like we are permanently moving on from this world which begs the question - If Leighton and Velocity are not very consequential to the overall plot - then why spend over 2 full episodes with them?

Thanks for better write what I tried to say in my last post.
how come the drug is a secret and at the same time a requirement for the dimension traveling (since 3 other people aside from Jason2 did travel, and 2 after him)?

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Also, for book readers, is it clarified
how Jason2 was able to navegate between his world and Jason1´s world back and forth? I thought that the premisse was that once you enter an infinite possibility of worlds, you are pretty much lost, no way to find back your original world. Jason2 not only find an specific world (where he is married with kid, his bigger regret) - ok, that could take time but is possible) but go back to his original world to drop Jason1 there, and back again to Jason1´s world. It would be much easier (and believable) if he just killed Jason1 and took his place (but not so much an interesting story).

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Also, for book readers, is it clarified
how Jason2 was able to navegate between his world and Jason1´s world back and forth? I thought that the premisse was that once you enter an infinite possibility of worlds, you are pretty much lost, no way to find back your original world. Jason2 not only find an specific world (where he is married with kid, his bigger regret) - ok, that could take time but is possible) but go back to his original world to drop Jason1 there, and back again to Jason1´s world. It would be much easier (and believable) if he just killed Jason1 and took his place (but not so much an interesting story).
Just keep watching.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
First 2 episodes were fine, but something seemed off - not sure if it was the writing, or acting or maybe both. Don't know that I love the main guy. I'll check out the 3rd.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The main character in this is pretty stupid. So much of this so far has been dragging the setup out.

I'm on board but man, parts of these episodes feels like somebody pulling teeth in that the main character is the last to figure things out and also too idiotic to play along.

There's also this woman going around and shooting at anything that moves. Her backstory has to be that she's fucking Leighton as she's way too unstable to be kept around.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Jason1 going to the bar was painful in that second episode. For a physics teacher in a world where multiverse is a strong theory and he is seemingly wanting to create a travel method for it. The fact that he doesn't pick up on the possibility that it actually exists and possibly other versions have figured it out, even when he was in the recovery unit, or even asked more questions about how they knew him and why they think he was gone for 14 months made me want to smack my head against a brick wall. I didn't even take any physics courses in college, my main knowledge of multiverse and string theory comes from TV shows like Nova or specials where physicists talk about it, or reading books available at Barnes and Noble on the subject and I would have guessed I was in a different universe. But, I know if that all actually happened the show would be basically done and there would be no real stakes anymore.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Jason1 going to the bar was painful in that second episode. For a physics teacher in a world where multiverse is a strong theory and he is seemingly wanting to create a travel method for it. The fact that he doesn't pick up on the possibility that it actually exists and possibly other versions have figured it out, even when he was in the recovery unit, or even asked more questions about how they knew him and why they think he was gone for 14 months made me want to smack my head against a brick wall. I didn't even take any physics courses in college, my main knowledge of multiverse and string theory comes from TV shows like Nova or specials where physicists talk about it, or reading books available at Barnes and Noble on the subject and I would have guessed I was in a different universe. But, I know if that all actually happened the show would be basically done and there would be no real stakes anymore.
Yea that was extremely painful to watch. Considering he worked on a prototype of this when he was younger, that should have been his first thought even in a somewhat joking manner. Like "no way im in a different universe hahaha" and instead it's dragged out for 40 minutes.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Yea that was extremely painful to watch. Considering he worked on a prototype of this when he was younger, that should have been his first thought even in a somewhat joking manner. Like "no way im in a different universe hahaha" and instead it's dragged out for 40 minutes.

Well, it is important to notice that he is the Jason that quit. While he should be well versed in physics, and understand the fundamentals of justapositions, one thing is to believe in something theorically possible, another is to see that thing happening. Plus he only worked with particles, his version of him never occured to use the same principles in a whole person. That was Jason2, the one that really believed in his theories and did quite the research, because that research was the most important thing in the world for him (even most important than love and family). So yeah, those parts drag a little (mainly for the audience to catch on) but it may be beliveable that Jason1 needed time to fully grasp what was going on. Even further, to grasp the concept if there is a multiverse, there will be versions of him that succeeded in his reasearch, and that there will be versions of him that resent giving up love and family, and most important, there will be versions of him that would act to correct that (in the way Jason2 did)

Jul 7, 2021
Id watch the show for Connelly alone. Major crush on her since i was a teenager.. she is such an elegant lady.

The story is interesting so far, as someone else said it's no Silo, buts it's decent.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Third episode was great-and now all the fun begins. Man when she only grabbed one backpack I cringed.