Status
Not open for further replies.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know shit but I'm guessing they'll get hit with a fine that'll be a fraction of the amount they saved by laying ppl off.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
User Banned (1 week): misrepresenting moderation
What legal reason existed that this merger shouldn't have gone thru? The ftc had a bad arguments with cloud and cod becoming exclusive. I get it the layoffs fucking suck and I supported this deal in the mega thread on the basis that it would promote competition. The fallout has made me change my thoughts on it.
I just don't want everyone to label all those who supported the deal as negative. People's opinions can change and I hold myself accountable for that. Seeing posts saying "fuck everyone for supporting this deal" is wild. Fuck me too I guess.

Not everything in life is about how legal/illegal an action is. I work for a huge law firm, mind you, and I think a lot scummy things are technically legal to do.

I'm glad you've changed your thoughts on the subject, but the acquisition was never an argument with a lot of equivalency from both sides, to me. It remains bullshit to me that moderation was enforced against those pointing out the consequences of Microsoft doing this... and now we're able to vividly see how 100% correct those concerns were. It was labeled fan drivel, which was a bogus accusation.

Galava

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Are they gonna use that excuse for anything that warns the FTC in the foreseeable future?

Might be true that ABK had this plan in mind, but we have to be aware that MS announced ABK's purchase 2 YEARS AGO

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, this is in all likelihood not even a case where the FTC "should have known better", it's one where they almost certainly did know better, ignored that knowledge, and then brought it up later so they can act like they have teeth or are doing their job properly after the fact.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
ABK would have done these layoffs independently on the same day as BGS and XGS did their layoffs. What a coincidence.

That's not what independent means in this situation. The only question (and unfortunately a weakness of the new FTC filing) is whether layoffs were a plausible action by Activision-Blizzard under the circumstances. We know they had a huge influx of hires for the pandemic period, even expanding after the original filings and before the merger. The whole industry has been doing layoffs for exactly the same set of factors. Layoffs are trash and represent a failure of leadership, but it's one of the main ways companies operationally adjust to changing conditions.

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly, this is in all likelihood not even a case where the FTC "should have known better", it's one where they almost certainly did know better, ignored that knowledge, and then brought it up later so they can act like they have teeth or are doing their job properly after the fact.

I thought the FTC did know better, but a judge didn't agree with their arguments.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen people making this accusation not discerning between someone's behavior vs. what they're saying. If you don't separate those, you'll never understand moderation on any platform. People can be right and also be way out of line and deserve a ban. Someone can be dead-wrong about something important but still be cordial about it.
This is exactly what happened in that thread.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
We've got a thread for all this already

Status
Not open for further replies.