• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017

As part of Crunchyroll's unification of fan services announced in March 2022, the Funimation app and website will sunset on April 2, 2024.

That's the end, even without all of Funi's exclusive titles being moved to CR.

One of the side effects is that all your Funi-bought digital copies are gonna go poof on April 2 because CR doesn't support digital copies. Lots of other info in the article.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
Wait, could you buy standalone digital content on Funimation, or was it all just "free" digital access tied to physical media bought through them?

It's bullshit either way but the former would be a whole lot worse than the latter

OP
OP
Primus

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
I never bought, but AFAIK it's a digital copy of whatever you bought on DVD/BD. Possibly extras and stuff too.

GeezyAF

Oct 28, 2017
It took, what, the better part of two years? I swapped over when they announced the move back then, but I should've stayed on Funi until now.

I really like having closed captioning while watching anything at home, and Funimation was the only place I could watch dubbed anime with cc.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
Wait, could you buy standalone digital content on Funimation, or was it all just "free" digital access tied to physical media bought through them?

It's bullshit either way but the former would be a whole lot worse than the latter
Yeah, FUNimation is notorious for pulling digital copies from redemption even in movies you bought off the shelf recently.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
I have a yearly subscription to FUNimation that's expiring in late May. According to an email I got, you can only transfer your premium FUNimation subscription to a non-premium CrunchyRoll subscription.

But now this website says it can be transferred??? I guess I'll just have to find out what happens.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Still a bunch of content on Funimation that's still AWOL on CR, aside from VOD licenses vanishing into the aether.

OP
OP
Primus

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Also note that there's still a decent chunk of titles (mostly dubs) that haven't moved over to CR yet and we have no timeline outside of "sometime!".

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
What's the list of titles that haven't yet been moved over to CR?

Off the top of my head at this very moment, Steins;Gate's dub and Slayers are two notable AWOLs to me.

I know I've seen a few others around where a complete dub on Funi isn't completely transferred to CR yet as well.

Is the One Piece dub on Crunchyroll yet? That's the main reason I subscribed to FUNimation.

That came over a few months back with some rather large fanfare.

I assume most of these (like the One Piece dub which was missing for so long) are cases of rights-owners being obstinate that the license they sold was for Funimation exclusively and non-transferrable, and basically having to completely renew a license from scratch.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I could never get those Funimation digital copies to work. Every time I tried to redeem one I'd have to contact support and it was just tons of frustration and wasted time. Eventually I just gave up.

Price Increase too

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
The worse part is the price increase!

GFvvRhib0AA-2o6.png%3Alarge

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
What is going to happen to my digital copies?

We understand that you may have concerns about your digital copies from Funimation. These Digital copies available on Funimation were a digital access to the content available on the DVDs or Blu-rays purchased.

Please note that Crunchyroll does not currently support Funimation Digital copies, which means that access to previously available digital copies will not be supported. However, we are continuously working to enhance our content offerings and provide you with an exceptional anime streaming experience. We appreciate your understanding and encourage you to explore the extensive anime library available on Crunchyroll.

Lol what horseshit. They assured us at the beginning all this that they'll implement something to transfer.....and it's yet to come to fruition.

What an absolute joke this merger turned out to be. Yet I'm still subbed because it's our major form of TV entertainment. Fucking hell.

Oct 25, 2017
Still missing content on CR, still missing CCs on tons of shows, still missing "Home video" versions on tons of shows, still missing proper language selector, and just killed the entire digital ownership system

but hey, at least its only double the price that Funi was!

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Serial Experiments Lain is a notable example that's on Funimation and not Crunchyroll too.

This sucks.

Mar 11, 2020
God i still can't believe they went with CRs shitty app. The funimation app actually had been decent or at least it was way better than CR's on PS4/5

I'm still mad they weren't able to just seemlessly migrate people over with their watch history intact and whatnot, it's been a pain. Mine did not transfer over, but i also moved over way back when they started warning it would go away but then didn't for how many months now?

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lol what horseshit. They assured us at the beginning all this that they'll implement something to transfer.....and it's yet to come to fruition.

What an absolute joke this merger turned out to be. Yet I'm still subbed because it's our major form of TV entertainment. Fucking hell.
LOL wow I love how they start out with "we understand you may have concerns" and pivot immediately to "Get fucked suckas!".

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I really like having closed captioning while watching anything at home, and Funimation was the only place I could watch dubbed anime with cc.

This bugs the hell out of me. Why doesn't any anime on CR have cc for the dub?
It even says" Captions: English" in the settings. Super bizarre.

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
Still missing content on CR, still missing CCs on tons of shows, still missing "Home video" versions on tons of shows, still missing proper language selector, and just killed the entire digital ownership system

but hey, at least its only double the price that Funi was!
yuup I still think it should have been everything from crunchy moving over to funi.

no CC on dubs has annoyed the hell out of me.

now how am I going to rewatch bakemonogatari....CR has some garbage 480p offering with 3 episodes missing. such a shame

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

That's the end, even without all of Funi's exclusive titles being moved to CR.

One of the side effects is that all your Funi-bought digital copies are gonna go poof on April 2 because CR doesn't support digital copies. Lots of other info in the article.
Yeah, kind of expected that they wouldn't support this functionality (probably need to renegotiate the licenses too) but it kind of sucks. That said I bought the BDs to have the shows on disc, so it's not a big deal, but it's too bad they didn't give iTunes copies at the time.

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
Although I have already started migrating to Crunchy, this is still sad for me.

edit: also agree that CR is waaay worse and this is a negative

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
yuup I still think it should have been everything from crunchy moving over to funi.

now how am I going to rewatch bakemonogatari....CR has some garbage 480p offering with 3 episodes missing. such a shame
Now that all the commentaries are subbed, you probably want to find other ways to watch it anyway. lol

Mar 11, 2020

oh thank god i'm not the only one that's been pissed at not having caption options for dubbed stuff. That has been AWFUL on CR.

It baffles my mind, do they think they don't have people that like to watch dubbed with a deaf partner or something? like wtf?

It's annoying when the subs don't match the dub due to it just being translated than localized but even that's better than fucking nothing at all.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Do they have home video versions on any shows? This is a big reason I hung on to my Funi subscription.
What is a home video version of a show? Like when it gets touched up for physical release after airing in Japan? If so I had no idea you could toggle that (or that they offered it in place of the broadcast versions).

GeezyAF

Oct 28, 2017

Well I am just glad I am not alone in this.

I think maybe the option is for on-screen translation? But yeah, really annoying that this is a feature that Funi had and going to this platform it doesn't exist. Just really annoying for anybody that likes CC.

machtia

Oct 29, 2017
What is a home video version of a show? Like when it gets touched up for physical release after airing in Japan? If so I had no idea you could toggle that (or that they offered it in place of the broadcast versions).
Yes. Funi also used to touch up errors from their simuldubs, add translated credits, and OP/ED subtitles. You could select which version you wanted to watch for most shows that had a home release.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Funi also used to touch up errors from their simuldubs, add translated credits, and OP/ED subtitles.
Ah, cool. I haven't maintained a Funimation subscription in years, I would dip in and out for simulcasts, but have had CR since the day it launched so I was unfamiliar.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love monopolies.

Aren't people begging for streaming consolidation so there are less services though? One of the biggest complaints people say today is that there are too many streaming services. Hmm, it's almost like how people begged for a la carte that they didn't realize what they were asking for....

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Kinda adjacent to Closed Captions, but it's also hit or miss whenever on-screen text is translated or not when watching dubs.

Thankfully they realized Sign of Affection just WOULDN'T WORK unless they did so, but there have been plenty of times where there have been like......phone texts where I'd be like "man I really wish I can read this conversation you're having!" because it's not like those segments are dubbed either. Gotta go off context clues based on how the character reacts or thinks to themselves.

machtia

Oct 29, 2017
Kinda adjacent to Closed Captions, but it's also hit or miss whenever on-screen text is translated or not when watching dubs.

Thankfully they realized Sign of Affection just WOULDN'T WORK unless they did so, but there have been plenty of times where there have been like......phone texts where I'd be like "man I really wish I can read this conversation you're having!" because it's not like those segments are dubbed either. Gotta go off context clues based on how the character reacts or thinks to themselves.
For whatever reason, their process has been to upload the dub streams without onscreen text translated then add it a few days/weeks later. Never mind that the translation and typesetting are already done for the sub version, which is up weeks before the dub most times. It makes zero sense.

Also things like Dubbed songs they added in for home video (Fuuka for example).
Yes! I loved this so much! But they seemed to stop doing it when CR took over home video. Zombieland season 2 left all the songs in Japansese.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
It makes zero sense.

It really doesn't. And as I said, the frustrating part is that they're INCONSISTENT with how quickly it goes up or if it's already up when the dub actually airs.

Just.....ugh. Everything about this, ever since the announcement, was frustrating. Beginning to it's inevitable end. And we've gotten a worse product as a result.

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017

Wow that sucks
So glad I hung onto my blu rays of my favorite shows.

I may never watch crumchyroll again. And not just out of outraged protest there's just generally notch I want to watch on there anymorem

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
For clarification, the original Funimation annual sub from years back was $60, $5 off with a promo so people who had subbed to that got Grandfathered into it. Long before the Crunchyroll merge happened, the price had already icnreased to $80.
Which is still available as a gift card for Crunchy's lowest tier btw. 80 I mean

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
This merger has been so bad. Maybe with only one service they can focus on the Roku CR app getting updated with basic features like skip intro and consolidating all languages in to one playlist instead of having a separate one for literally every language? .....Right?

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
This merger has been so bad. Maybe with only one service they can focus on the Roku CR app getting updated with basic features like skip intro and consolidating all languages in to one playlist instead of having a separate one for literally every language? .....Right?

I'm convinced no member of management at Crunchy Roll knows what they are doing. They have not improved any part of their service in at least five years. For a company of over 1,000 employees, I feel like 90% of them are sitting on their hands because they can't do anything without approval from management, and management is made up of simpletons filling their pockets and talking in circles every week.