• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
733oEle.png

Kentucky Route Zero
I tend to play early access games when 1.0 releases and episodic games when the full season is out, so this is a 2020 release to me. A deeply engaging piece of magic realism.

hTgsXYO.png

If Found...
Touching, visually distinct and with characters that I've come to care for. While there are very dramatic low-points, in the end it remains hopeful, which makes it not just a trans suffering story.

y2bIqO6.png

Wide Ocean, Big Jacket
I was excited for this having played Little Party, and it lived up to my expectations. Charming little slice-of-life.

ArXJkAH.png

Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Gorgeous in every sense.

vr9HvOq.png

Röki
Beautiful adventure game that frequently inspires wonder.

ph7HXgk.png

Coffee Talk
Are service jobs in a fantastical/sci-fi settings the next trend in indies? Especially bartender/barista. Well, I'm not complaining since it is an interesting premise that allows for some "anthology" story-telling presenting different characters and perspectives on an overarching narrative or setting.

k7Spr2H.png

Dépanneur Nocturne
Really captures a pleasant, wholesome atmosphere. There's more to explore than what's immediately apparent.

N6txSNF.png

10mg: Cover Me In Leaves
Fantastic visual style and ambient music that combine into a superb atmosphere. The writing style feels at times quite visceral.

xczXpGt.png

Dweller's Empty Path

There's a lot of charm and character to this and some neat pixel art. It does suffer from some unclear progression but thankfully the in-game hint system mitigates that. (Would still be better with clearer progression but at least it's not a big issue.) Quite an extensive soundtrack for what is a relatively short game, too.

tHYKWGY.png

Boat Prom
Never before has a title drop in a game made me laugh so much. I find it consistently funny, but I'm not sure if I can tell why.

Honorable Mentions
Tales From Off-Peak City Vol. 1
Resident Evil 3
Haunted Cities, Vol. 4
Hard Lads
Rainy Season

1. [PC] [Point-and-click adventure] [Cardboard Computer] Kentucky Route Zero
  2. [PC] [Adventure] [DREAMFEEL] If Found...
  3. [PC] [Visual Novel] [Turnfollow] Wide Ocean Big Jacket
  4. [PC] [Metroidvania] [Moon Studios] Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  5. [PC] [Adventure] [Polygon Treehouse] Röki
  6. [PC] [Visual Novel] [Toge Productions] Coffee Talk
  7. [PC] [Adventure] [KO_OP] Dépanneur Nocturne
  8. [PC] [Visual Novel] [Elliot Herriman] 10mg: Cover Me In Leaves
  9. [PC] [Adventure] [Temmie Chang] Dweller's Empty Path
  10. [PC] [Interactive Fiction] [Brendan Patrick Hennessy] Boat Prom
  11. [PC] [Adventure] [Cosmo D] Tales From Off-Peak City Vol. 1
  12. [PC] [Survival Horror] [Capcom] Resident Evil 3 Remake
  13. [PC] [Horror] [Kitty Horrorshow] Haunted Cities Volume 4
  14. [PC] [Simulation] [Robert Yang] Hard Lads
  15. [PC] [Adventure] [Inasa Fujio] Rainy Season
Cool list, I've played most of the top of your list, but have never even heard of most of the rest of them. I will check them out. I wish there was recognition for the most unique list, then yours would definitely be a strong candidate.

Fromskap

Sep 6, 2019
This will be a rather short one as last year was mostly catch-up for me, especially with all subscription services giving away older AAA games frequently. Though I have played the originals of remakes such as Demon's Souls or Xenoblade Chronicles, I suppose it would be cheating to list them just to pad my list.

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
Sometimes a game comes a long that does well-worn genre conventions and plot points with so much skill and care that it does not have to do more to be excellent. While 13 Sentinels is such a game, it refused to rest on its laurels. Not only is this a captivating love letter to all Japanese and international science-fiction properties from the last half century, but it also ties this together with some of the most experimental yet somehow refined presentation I've seen in a long time.

On paper this game shouldn't have worked: The concept of 13 protagonists already seems daunting by itself, but in addition the story is presented disjointedly and nonlinearly, hopping from character to character, utilizing dream sequences, flashbacks, flashbacks within flashbacks, and any combination of these. Each story fragment often ends abruptly, giving important revelations before cutting to black. And perhaps most daringly, the order is nearly entirely decided by the player. Despite this recipe for chaos, the game's story comes together splendidly as you play. The novel structure invites the player to theorize and conjecture crucial information in a way that utilizes the medium almost revolutionarily. The high density of twists is also a brilliant addition. Add to this loveable characters and an evergreen and gorgeous art style, and you have a game that will be loved by new and old players for many years to come.

The mecha battles are fun too.

Genshin Impact
To be honest I didn't play too much of this game and fell off relatively quickly, yet the first weeks I played it together with the community were very fun. There is a very well-crafted world to explore with many memorable quests to do. The characters are also very likeable, in that sorta cynical way companies use when they want you to spend money to get them. And therein lies the games' Achilles heel: the predatory monetization scheme. I'd recommend playing it, yes, but steel yourself to cut your losses lest the game swallows you whole.

1. [PS4] [Adventure] [Vanillaware] 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
  2. [PC] [Action RPG] [miHoYo] Genshin Impact

FulcrumTK

Oct 6, 2020
Posting my list again because I totally forgot Dweller's Empty Path released in 2020.

1. OMORI - One of the best games of all time, hands down. No other game has moved me emotionally the way Omori has. That alone might have made this game top my list, but the amazing story is backed by beautiful hand-drawn visuals, wonderful varied music, and a unique battle system. Omori inspires me artistically, it makes me want to create.

2. CrossCode - Following up Omori is another fantastic indie RPG. Every aspect of CrossCode is made with love, from the delightful characters, great soundtrack and great pixel art to the dynamic combat, tricky puzzles and detailed environments.

3. Hades - Not much to say about Hades that hasn't been said already. It's a good fucking roguelike.

4. Petal Crash - I'm a little sad to see that this game isn't in the database, but I guess it did fly under the radar. It's a great action puzzle game that any fan of Panel de Pon should take a look at. Plus, the story mode is written by Zack Morrison of Paranatural fame, and contains a lot of the fun wordplay their webcomic is known for.

5. Ikenfell - Another indie RPG, this one featuring tactical combat combined with Paper Mario-esque timing mechanics. A great game that (mostly) doesn't overstay its welcome. And it's got music by Aivi and Surasshu of Steven Universe fame! Look into it if you want a wizarding school story that isn't made by shitheads.

6. Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics - A great collection of classic "traditional" games. It's just nice to pick up whenever I want to play billiards or mahjong.

7. Murder by Numbers - A fun VN interspersed with nonogram puzzles. While I think the murder mystery aspect is a little eh, the fun characters and overarching storyline make this game shine.

8. Dweller's Empty Path - A short and simple adventure game from Temmie Chang, best known for her art and cameos in Undertale and Deltarune. Featuring lovely game boy-esque pixel art and an intriguing story and worldbuilding, you might as well play it, it's free! (Play Escaped Chasm first though)

9. Monster Train - A deckbuilding roguelike in the vein of Slay the Spire, but this time with non-hideous art and a sorta tower defense mechanic. It's good, I need to get back to it as some point.

10. Picross S5 - It's Picross. It's addictive. I literally have it open on my Switch right now.

1. [PC] [RPG] [Omocat] OMORI
  2. [Switch] [Action RPG] [Radical Fish Games] CrossCode
  3. [Switch] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  4. [Switch] [Puzzle] [Friend & Fairy] Petal Crash
  5. [Switch] [Tactical role-playing] [Happy Ray Games] Ikenfell
  6. [Switch] [Party] [Nintendo] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics
  7. [Switch] [Visual Novel] [Mediatonic] Murder by Numbers
  8. [PC] [Adventure] [Temmie Chang] Dweller's Empty Path
  9. [PC] [Roguelike] [Shiny Shoe] Monster Train
  10. [Switch] [Puzzle] [Jupiter Corporation] Picross S5

Last edited:

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
1. Final Fantasy 7 Remake — I went back and forth on this since it's a remake, and I already voted for the RE2 remake last year, but I think this is the year's most complete package. Great visuals, great combat, and it's just an audacious game with the direction they took it. I'm actually not really a fan of the original — I think it's the weakest of that era's FF games — but this won me over.

2. Ori and the Will of the Wisps — So good looking it makes the already gorgeous original pale in comparison, and it's honestly my favorite playing 2D platformer ever on top of that.

3. Hades — I love Supergiant but hate roguelikes. Fortunately, the former won out. The art is great, the combat good and varied, and the narrative perfectly paced to keep you going through repetitive playthroughs

4. Yakuza: Like a Dragon — This one is there mostly on the back of its narrative, which is the strongest they've done since Yakuza 0. The JRPG elements also work well (as a side note, it's funny how they made Yakuza into a JRPG in the year FF7 released feeling kind of like a Yakuza game)

5. The Last of Us part II — Easily the most impressive thing released this year. Amazingly polished without a rough edge to be seen. The most realistic looking game ever, and actually maybe the best 3D stealth gameplay out there outside of MGS5.

6. Ghost of Tsushima — A fairly rote open-world game, but pretty flawlessly executed, with some stunning art design and some creative flairs around the edges with how it uses wind and wildlife to guide you.

7. Half-Life: Alyx — It's really cool to see a full-fledged game-ass game in VR. I think stripped of VR, it's a little simplistic, and it definitely pushes up against the limitations of current VR tech at times, but still had a great time with it, and it's a really impressive achievement.

8. Persona 5 Royal — A good touch up that really improves the original

9. Murder by Numbers — The first thing to really get me into Picross games, and I really liked the music too.

10. Paper Mario The Origami King — A genuinely funny and fun RPG. Boss battles can be a little overwhelming, but once you get the hang of it you get a sense for how to push through them.

Honorable mentions to Yes Your Grace, which I really enjoyed, Spiritfarer, which was gorgeous and got me to play a farming sim even if it was too long for its own good, and Animal Crossing, which I played a ton of.

Apologies to 13 Sentinels, AC Valhalla, Spider-Man, and Demon's Souls, which I just didn't get to this year, but I feel pretty confident I would like.
  1. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy VII Remake
  2. [PC] [Metroidvania] [Moon Studios] Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  3. [PC] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  4. [PS4] [RPG] [Sega] Yakuza: Like a Dragon
  5. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Naughty Dog] The Last of Us Part II
  6. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Sucker Punch Productions] Ghost of Tsushima
  7. [PC] [Shooter] [Valve] Half-Life: Alyx
  8. [PS4] [RPG] [Atlus] Persona 5 Royal
  9. [PC] [Visual Novel] [Mediatonic] Murder by Numbers
  10. [Switch] [RPG] [Intelligent Systems] Paper Mario: The Origami King

Last edited:

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
2020 sucked but the games didn't. Here are, objectively, the best ones in, objectively, the best order.

Honorable Mentions

Moon: Remix RPG Adventure - I felt it important to give Moon some recognition seeing as it's easily one of the most off-kilter experiences I've ever played. This was a game almost lost to the annals of time had it not been for a Switch port over 2 decades after its 1997 PS1 release. Crowned with the moniker of "The Anti-RPG", Moon is essentially an oldscool adventure game where you explore the underside of a tropey fantasy JRPG as a character who is on a parallel journey to the JRPG protagonist's. This means you'll come across the aftermath of scenes that are completely normal when you play the hero- random encounters, stealing from townsfolk, rampaging through a quest hub- but from the perspective of characters who live in that world. So the Hero's random encounter wasn't just that, it was a massacring of an entire forest's ecosystem. The Hero rummaging through someone's cabinets wasn't just looking for items, it was thievery. The Hero bumrushing through a questhub wasn't just passing through while turning in missions, it was a tidal wave of disruptions, damage, and narcissism. Simply from a theming standpoint this game was so far ahead of its time in the way it warped stereotypical RPG interactions to fit a greater meta commentary. All of that is before even getting into a 7-day world and NPC day/night schedule, the eccentric multi-genre in-universe soundtrack, and the subversive characters and puzzles populating this world. You can absolutely feel the rough edges of this being a preserved game from 1997, but the experience is like no other and I highly recommend it to adventure game vets, fans of offbeat weird games, oldschool JRPG fans looking for a heartfelt lampooning by a late 90s contemporary, and anyone interested in truly hidden gems.

The Last of Us Part II - There's nothing of value I can add to The Last of Us Part II's discourse other than to briefly touch on why I think it's both incredible but also didn't make my top 10. I'd be lying to myself if I didn't include it on this list somewhere because it's straight up one of the most impressive showcases of AAA level videogame production you will ever find. Mechanics, level design, art, graphic fidelity, animation, sound, music, acting, much of the direction (gameplay and cutscenes), and scope are just off the charts. In many, many areas this is the peak of Naughty Dog's talent as a linear, set-piece heavy, character driven action-adventure developer. There are stretches here that are SO FAR BEYOND what comparable games can offer that your entire perspective on videogame polish, setpiece execution, and game fluidity may very well be forever outside what is realistic for 99% of teams today. It's a shining example of the full power of a 1st party team that seemingly has a blank check from their higher ups and a pipeline cultivated over years to do exactly what they want to be doing.

Having said all that, the end of TLOU1 is essentially perfect so I came into this game with a massive disinterest in seeing where Joel and Ellie went because I simply did not want or need any further clarification than what we already had. The magic of that game's ending was in the execution of the ambiguity, and reopening that wound to shove my hand in there and poke around was not something that intrigued me whatsoever. I say all that to say: The story of TLOU2 left me beyond cold, I'm talking absolute goddamn zero. I would've been able to put this disinterest to the side and just enjoy the game as the hugely impressive Naughty Dog spectacle that it is, but their storytelling is so intrinsically linked to both the gameplay scenarios and gameplay pacing at this point that the lines between gameplay segment and story segment is blurred. It's hard to find the urgency, motivation, tension, or thrill in gameplay when it all ultimately leads to a story beat as payoff if you aren't invested in that story. Had this been solely Abby's game- new cast, new story - TLOU2 would potentially be in my top 5. As it is, it'll remain, for me, a stopgap to Naughty Dog's next project, albeit an insanely impressive one.

Doom: Eternal - This is easily one of the most audaciously demanding and intense FPSs ever made, and a beacon for developers who might be afraid to push the boundaries of their own design restraints. With Doom Eternal, id Software, 27 years after the first Doom, are still at the forefront of maniacally satisfying, high energy shooters, It's one of the most exhausting traditional games you can play, every successive level leaving your hands more and more fused with your input device of choice, to the point that by the time you see credits your body is 98% Doom Eternal Buttons. Beyond just combat, level design continues to be a winding festival of videogamely hidden upgrades, encounters, and secrets all stashed behind well paced and palette cleansing platforming obstacle course routes. The story unfortunately no longer carries the admirably brash "IDGAF" attitude leaving you in more situations where the ridiculous demon lore and rituals are driving that side of the game. To be fair this doesn't hurt the experience whatsoever aside from leaving the early story scenes feeling completely contextless, but unlike in 2016 there isn't any boon to this decision either, a move that dilutes some of Doomguy's fun Honorable Wrecking Ball characterization.

In any case, it's not often we see an action combat game from the West so ridiculously hellbent on making the player succumb to its internal ruleset and push its mechanisms to their limit; id did something great here. It would've been top 10 if I weren't getting old or something, idk man.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 - Incredible remaster of a pair of groundbreaking games combined into one package dripping with nostalgic juices succulent enough to make a grown millennial cry. My only problem with Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 is that it's not Skate.

Spelunky 2 - It's hard to improve on perfection, but Derek Yu tried his damndest. I ended up watching more of Spelunky 2 than I played, but whether you engage with the game directly or just observe people die from glorious, systemic, domino effect slapstick, it's plainly obvious that the Spelunky formula is not only still incredibly finely tuned, but still relevant and valuable through the absolute glut of roguelikes available these days. There is nothing like the hilarious despair of a Spelunky death. But don't fret, the next run is THE run.

Chicken Police - One part noir farce, one part leftfield furry nightmare fuel, Chicken Police is a charming narrative adventure game (visual novel, basically) following the strange dialogue driven escapades of the titular Chicken Police, Sonny Featherland and Marty MacChicken, a duo of legendary fowl detectives who reunite to solve one more case. Being something of a film noir fanboy, I jumped at the idea of this headfirst as soon as I saw a trailer with no real expectations aside from a ton of period appropriate homage laden noir-isms. I came out of it having experienced a game made by people who are clearly just as enamored with the style as I am. From the black and white presentation (with blotches of Sin City style color use), to the laughably twisty plot beats, to the world lore and post-war allusions using animal kingdom feuds as stand ins for real life stories, this game is just all around noir absurdity. Grounding and gluing the whole thing together are the fully voiced and endearing characters playing to every archetype of noir storytelling from hard boiled cops, to overcompensating gangsters, shrewd femme fatales, and cagey journalists. Being their first game, I hope wherever The Wild Gentlemen go next they never lose the offbeat spirit that led them to make this thing.

Creaks - Point and click vets Amanita Design shift gears ever so slightly here with a puzzle platformer adventure game featuring full character control, but otherwise Creaks continues their penchant for crafting strange and beautiful games. Creaks is filled with storybook whimsy, presented in Amanita's signature painterly visual style, giving life to the small bumbling cast of character populating this underground journey. Combined with the well-paced and never devilishly difficult puzzles, that finely tuned physical comedy nicely accents the adventure, assuring the game never loses its goofiness or forward momentum for too long. The whole thing is just so pleasant no matter how rundown the environment might get. To top it off is an incredible soundtrack from Hidden Orchestra- electronica, orchestral, jazz, downtempo laced atmospheric, morphing excellence that subtly layers and builds and drops back out every time you solve a piece of a puzzle, then crescendos on cue to give you these fleeting, dark, icy, synthy bops out of nowhere. This game needs to be played with headphones in an attic surrounded by piles of dusty haunted furniture. It's wonderful.

===============================================================

THE LIST

TEN

Spiritfarer - As one of the bigger surprises of 2020 in more ways than I can even recall at this point, Spiritfarer takes the traditional Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons style farm sim and injects it with more emotional resonance and charm than you can shake a hoe at. The farm here is atop what's initially a small boat which grows and grows to comical proportions as you, being the newly appointed Spiritfarer of this world, house more and more souls, and need more and more resources to aid their transition to whatever awaits post post-death. In this particular twist on the Grecian River Styx ferryman mythos, you play as a woman named Stella, and fairly early on start to see the connective tendrils of how all these specific souls and stories may or may not connect to her. Speaking about any of these characters specifically risks spoiling too much for whichever crazy person is still reading my ramblings, but it's enough to say that between the game's fantastic presentation, animations, communal + character events, and brief daily conversations, bonds start to form and between Stella and her shipmates that reach out from the screen and grab the player by the feels. This game's greatest accomplishment, aside from the platforming elements and overall game feel being surprisingly great, is the way it digs into your mind and starts to attach itself to your own memories of loss (in all of its forms), regret, nostalgia, and connection through these souls-turned-spirit animals. Much in the vein of a Studio Ghibli film, the fanciful core concept (and busywork primary genre) is, in turn, infused with pathos. If not for a few late game grinds and lulls that I almost want to argue are thematically intentional despite the tedium, this would've placed higher. Still, Spiritfarer was a meditation on loss that felt especially well timed in 2020.

NINE

Yakuza: Like A Dragon - I'll be honest, Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio is basically penciled into my GOTY list every year, and it's kind of hard finding new ways to wax poetic about their games. To be fair to Yakuza 7, this is by far the most radical shift the series has had in… ever, swapping genres completely from a 3D beat-em-up to a turn based JRPG (if stories are to be believed, in a ridiculously short span of development time). Doing this while introducing a brand new protagonist, a brand new location, and still promising a full fledged numbered sequel in a series known for overdelivering on content nearly every time out is a big ask, but, of course, they nailed it. Now that's not to say this was a completely seamless jaunt into a new genre unscathed. RGG hit numerous potholes that will be ironed with further iteration I'm sure. For example: an incredibly cumbersome handling of changing character jobs to acquire certain skills, or some weird late game difficulty spikes forcing you into side grinds that were initially presented as optional. Really though, if I at any point jumped into bed with Yakuza looking for peak mechanics, I would've bolted right out of that sleazy hotel room 93 games ago. I'm here for story, and Yakuza Seven Semicolon Like A Ryu delivered TENFOLD. Ichiban Kasuga is protagonist of the year EZ GG. Have you ever seen a man so hardheadedly wholesome yet able to reach deep within himself to deliver climatic monologues with the gut punching weight of another Nintendo Direct without a Metroid Prime update? Ichiban Kasuga is so damn great he made the power of friendship look cool. The power of friendship. That's the worst power of them all. Your favorite JRPG protagonist could never.

So we have an all time great protagonist combined with a fun ensemble and a narrative that takes its time setting the stage for a new Yakuza with a new perspective, THEN they managed to stick the landing so goddamn hard I refuse to believe anyone finished this without rainbows shooting out of their videogame playing machine of choice. If Spiritfarer was the tonally appropriate entry, 7 Dragons: Yakuza Like a VIllage is the antithesis to 2020's awfulness.

EIGHT

Streets of Rage 4 - A miracle, plain and simple. As someone who actually, ACTUALLY has Streets of Rage 2 run through his mind a few times a week at least, there is no way in hell that Streets of Rage 4 in 2020- with a different artstyle, with different devs, with different music- should work. My raging nostalgia should be dismissing this game with the fury of 5000 suns. The craziest part is not only does it work, it's great. And not only is it great, it called me back for aimless replays just to juggle mooks with the new combo system. Who even replays games anymore? From the artstyle to the responsive and beautifully animated attacks, this game is crispy incarnate, and I was just playing over and over to see and feel it. SoR4 is so good that, much like Sonic Mania, it brought me back to a place of pure, untainted Nostalgia Nirvana. That is, perhaps, the toughest technique for any game to master, and somehow two 90s SEGA revival sequels pulled it off. Proof of God? Proof of aliens? Your guess is as good as mine, but this is not natural. Just about the only thing in SoR4 of this Earthly realm is the soundtrack. Sorry Olivier Deriviere, I appreciate the synced layering and detailed mixing, but nothing can replace the 90s electronic dance, house, techno, and jungle vibes. My nostalgia has a foot and it had to be put down somewhere. S for effort all around.

SEVEN

Hypnospace Outlaw - Speaking of nostalgia, Hypnospace Outlaw is a self described "internet and OS simulator", ostensibly an adventure game, and this thing took me right back to a time in my life I never expected to be thinking about while playing a videogame. Putting the player in the role of an "Enforcer", Hypnospace Outlaw tasks you with moderating a burgeoning new cyberspace that users access in their sleep called Hypnospace. After a tutorial that runs through an amusingly cursory explanation of your role in the community, you're set loose onto a 1999 operating system with pre-Y2K communities, and pre normalized social media users. While this is an alternate universe parody, much of the behavior, characters, marketing, underground fandoms, website design, gimmicks, security features, bugs, viruses, file sharing, lingo, and general goofy ass 90s tone will be immediately recognizable and disturbingly accurate to anyone who was active on the internet during that era. This game is like finding a box full of stuff from your youth and being simultaneously fascinated and repelled by its contents. I don't know what sent me back in time with the most whiplash- getting a pop-up spamming virus, downloading sketchy desktop buddies, or finding my way into file sharing access portals to pirate music.

If all the surface level set dressing wasn't perfect enough, beneath that lurks an incredibly clever balancing act of interactive writing wherein the game is not only providing you wacky examples of early day memes to laugh at, but is stringing together a web of characters, screen names, websites, communities, products, music, programs, and events that you reverse engineer from all angles to reveal the central plot, and numerous subplots happening concurrently. What begins as a quaint look back at a proto Twiitter era of digital life becomes a kind of bittersweet archival experience, like finding forum posts you made as a kid that are still around; A ghostly digital trail of real people just being dorks at a very specific moment in time. Specific is the key word with Hypnospace Outlaw for me. This is a unique game that is about a specific point in our modern internet history which people who didn't live through, even as a child, might not fully appreciate. Most importantly, as an adventure game of sorts, there is nothing in 2020 that made me feel more like a detective combing through mounds of trash to find one needle in a haystack of poorly setup websites. Whatever this game lacks in flash it makes up for with nailing its themes. Huge surprise.

SIX

Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition - I feel like I'd been following KRZ for the entire of the 2010s by the time this thing released in full… and that's because it was revealed in 2011. Nine years in the game industry is like 3 lifetimes. Somehow I managed to remain unspoiled until every chapter was completed, and now with the TV Edition, Kentucky Route Zero turned out to be exactly what I expected and also unlike any game out there. Hell "game" might not even be the right word. At times KRZ is little more than an abstraction of some other medium filtered through the interactivity of a choose your own adventure book where your choices are simply to set tone rather than invite consequences. You actually often interact with multiple sides of a conversation, essentially speaking to yourself through different character perspectives as the game flows from reality to surrealism at a moment's notice. It's all around a pretty God's eye style experience, but one that can only really be accomplished with some kind of interactivity, if only for the sudden style and genre shifts that send your brain reeling attempting to figure out exactly where the narrative has dropped you off. There are sequences in this game that are so masterful with the way they throw you into the deep end and allow you to slowly swim back to the shore of context that you'll barely even understand how you understand what happened. Is it a little self important? Of course. Is that inherently a bad thing? Absolutely not. Because when the game isn't probing philosophically or chugging along dripping atmosphere through dark lighting and Lynchian drones, there are moments of genuine character based storytelling, wit, and emotion that create an attachment to your growing band of road trip misfits traveling through the underbelly of Americana. So what's the point of Kentucky Route Zero? I could choose to expand on its critiques of the American dream, capitalism, The Forgotten Ones and whatnot, but really it's about the journey. All of its twists and turns, every sleight of hand, the moments that test your patience and the ones that throw you into a white water dream. This was the last thing I played in a pre-covid America, so it's only fitting that it feels like a hazy memory of some other reality.

FIVE

Lair of The Clockwork God - And here's a game that completely takes the piss out of everything Kentucky Route Zero stands for, as well as the industry at large, and even itself. Lair of the Clockwork God is a half LucasArts style point and click adventure, half modern indie darling platformer that exists purely make you smile. Using intensely British Briticisms run through an already effervescent, ironic, classic adventure game sense of humor, you simultaneously play as 2 characters literally in 2 distinct genres on an adventure to save the world from the apocalypse…. well, actually all of the apocalypses. Just as the genre mash-up is walking the line of point & click and platforming, so is the humor. Both characters take shots back and forth, Ben being pro adventure game and Dan being pro platformer (particularly artsy indie platformers), in an attempt to make a case for which is better: the old or the new. Oddly enough, in both gameplay and dialogue, what ends up happening is this brilliant melding of ideas where both perspectives are good on their own and shine when juxtaposed. With the writing you get these amazing contextualized barbs while hopping and bopping as Dan or investigating all sorts of ridiculous inventory items as Ben, and in gameplay you're swapping between both styles solving these wacky item, switch, positioning, platforming, and 4th wall nuking puzzles. It gets to the point that the oil and water of the whole situation becomes completely natural for the player and you wonder why it took this long for the idea to be executed with such confidence. If that wasn't a good enough pitch, the game goes out of its way over the 10 hour campaign to unpack so many genre cliches, and twist them back on the player, making for some of my favorite sequences and jokes of anything I played last year. Comedy games are exceptionally difficult to get right, and while this genre has a higher batting average than most, aiming that comedy inwards is an even tougher sell. Inside baseball writing can so easily go wrong or become self-referential the point of flubbing the punchlines, but Lair of The Clockwork God makes it all feel effortless. Great writing, great puzzles, great time.

FOUR

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - There's nothing in the plot of 13 Sentinels that is especially new. A ton of the game's story beats are love letters and outright homage of sci-fi pop culture from kaiju, to Spielberg, to HG Wells, to shlocky B movies, to Back To The Future, and everything in between. But see, that's the thing. When I say "everything in between", I mean everything. 13 Sentinels is a game that was gestating since at least 2013, in development proper since 2015, released in Japan in November 2019, then in the US in September 2020. It's been a long road since Vanillaware's last wholly new game- Dragon's Cown in 2013. For most of that time I really had no idea what 13 Sentinels was attempting to be. I saw flashes of their typically gorgeous high detail art, I saw flashes of RTS stuff, I saw mechs and murmurings of 2D narrative adventure segments. Then the Japanese released happened and slowly you started to hear the seemingly hyperbolic praise hitting sites like this one with quotes from Masahiro Sakurai and Yoko Taro that this game is something special. Two weirdos surely, but that's the kind of praise you can't fake.

And then you play it.

Getting back to the concept of Everything: 13 Sentinels takes every sci-fi twist, every sci-fi anime cliché, and damn near every sci-fi concept in general and throws them into a blender. The resulting Everything smoothie is then placed into a fragmented narrative structure where you are relatively free, within certain overall progress gates, to jump from character arc to character arc. As the game's title implies there are 13 in total, but you don't get there instantly. You start small, and gradually unlock more and more characters, each new arc leaving the overall story more fragmented, and forward progress more staggered compared to the ones before. Most of the time you are given 3, 5, 7, or more options for which character you'd like to follow. I stress again, the game leaves it up to the player. That means you are taking information in from a trillion different points on the overall timeline, keeping track of 20 subplots, and attempting to make sense of a narrative that leaves you on a plot shifting cliffhanger every time a section ends. It's complete madness. There comes a point early on where you can barely speak to anyone else about what's happening because there's just no telling if you know what they knew at that point, or where on the micro and macro arcs you are in comparison. There is so much expository machinegun dialogue that the game dedicates an ENTIRE BRANCH of the 3-pronged main menu to an evolving wiki that not only helps the player keep track, but ALSO reveals critical lore information. The third prong of that menu belongs to the RTS side of 13 Sentinels, a clever framing device that gives you a modicum of context to what the narrative side of the game is talking about, but is ALSO expanding on the narrative from a more macro perspective. The whole game is tornado of names, events, locations, jargon, and details that build and build, and twist and twist all the way to a climax that, in a feat of writing gymnastics I can only assume took the bulk of this game's 4 years in development, actually lands. This absolute sci-fi anime spaghetti madness actually makes sense of everything, and actually works. How in the name of fanservice upper thighs did this game come together.

Just, y'know, don't ask me any specifics. It's been months, I can't remember all of that.

THREE

CrossCode - The Red Dead Redemption 2 of indie games. 2D Zelda weeps.

TWO

Desperados 3 - With 2016's Shadow Tactics, German developer Mimimi Games did the impossible and resurrected the dormant genre of Real Time Tactics with such mastery, such class, such deft handling of classic stealth-tactics gameplay that you could've been mistaken it was the 15th game in a long running series. With smart updates to the old school isometric take on squad stealth, and a surprisingly well executed narrative, Shadow tactics ended up being a 25 hour campaign filled with absolutely brilliant stealth scenarios, open ended strategies, and an earnestly delivered story. One of my favorite impulse purchases of the generation, and one of the best games last gen outright. Outstanding game. They even managed a console port that plays well. These folks are geniuses. With Desperados 3, Mimimi repeats that success with even more smart updates to the minutia of gameplay, an even more stylish and well-delivered narrative, and even more varied and hyper precisely designed stealth scenarios.

Now I love every game on this top 10, and my top 3 in particular are almost interchangeable in how incredibly great they are at what they do, but I have to say that Desperados 3 is the most mentally satisfying of them all to play. If we're talking pure strategy and execution, this game scratches my personal itches with such a loving caress it's like someone reached into my soul and gave me 2 back to back games that I didn't even know I needed. I can easily spend 15 minutes barely moving in this game, just surveying enemy patrols and potential routes to my targets, and every single time it's the best 15 minutes of any game in 2020. It's that good. With the swap from a Feudal Japan setting to a Western, there's an increased focus on guns and social stealth present here that separates it from Shadow Tactics, along with a more fantastical character who has what feels like an intentionally game breaking skill set. Taken all together, the experience is that much more involved, with more options in most situations, along with a host of level specific gimmicks that give Mimimi a real claim for some of the best gameplay direction and design in the industry IMO. My overall taste and what really excites me recently has been a bit unpredictable at best, and contradictory at worst considering some of my takes last decade, but Desperados 3 strikes such a chord with the carnivore in me that's been ravenously craving scenario focused stealth for as long as I can remember. With so many major stealth IPs being MIA, Mimimi is one of the few left carrying the torch, and I can't wait to see where they go next.

GOTY
Ori and the Will of The Wisps - Having played both Ori titles in 2020, I came away with 2 main takes and one scorcher:

A. Moon Studios is on a path that may lead to the upper reaches of industry prestige if they stay the course.
B. Ori and The Will of The Wisps is one of the best sequels of all time.
C (Flamin' Hot Take) Ori 2 might possibly be THE greatest platformer of all time.

This game, this game, this game. I finished Ori 1 and was immensely impressed. For a first outing of a team that apparently is a worldwide effort with no centralized studio, Ori And The Blind Forest is such an accomplished, poised, polished, gorgeous platformer that comes out of the gates and holds its own with the best in the genre. The game feel alone is something to be revered and studied by any aspiring platformer dev, and even most platformer veteran studios can learn a thing or 20 about how to make traversal feel amazing from this game. Visually it's quite easily one of the best looking 2D games ever, and nothing needs to be said about Gareth Coker's orchestration on the soundtrack, who has become a name in his own right. Nothing is perfect so of course there are wants and wishes coming out of it- combat could've been more, wish it was longer, you want more of this, I wish they did that. But overall it's a fantastic game.

Now in what universe do you get a first attempt THAT good, then make a sequel that completely invalidates it like 20 minutes after you start? Ori and The Will of The Wisps is so great, so unbelievably great that Ori 1 is but a faint memory at the back of my mind at this point. They plugged every hole, hammered every nail, and tightened every graphics. Somehow the fluid traversal system in Ori 1 has turned into this majestic ballet of controllable butter on non-stick coating. If Ori 1 should be studied from the comfort of your home, Ori and The Will of The Wisps needs to be examined, deconstructed, and worshipped in seminars across the world. Even Nintendo needs to be strapped down Clockwork Orange style and be force-fed this game's mechanics. Ori 2 controls like new car smell. I don't know if I've made it clear enough but hopping, bopping, fighting, scampering, bouncing, smashing, gliding, swimming, and running through this game is orgasmic. You'll notice I said fighting in the middle of that. These crazy folks at Moon decided not only will this game perform flawlessly as a jumpin' ass runnin' ass wall bouncin' ass platformer, they gave us a little combat system so flexible, so fluid, so feedback heavy, so gorgeous in motion that I've run out of ways to praise it. The game feels so unbelievably good at every level of player input. This is peak 2D platformer game feel.

The game surrounding those mechanics is great too. My biggest takeaway here is the pacing. The only real parallel I've been able to draw in terms of campaign pacing is that Ori 2 feels like Uncharted 2 era Naughty Dog detoured from their plans and decided to make a platformer. Every area is given this AAA set-piece Naughty Dog arc where you problem solve and have a leisurely paced run-through of an area, and little by little it ramps up to this show stopping sequence that looks and sounds and moves like something 1000 tiers above what the competition can achieve, then it ramps down and allows you to catch your breath. But all the while it's raw gameplay. Upgrades on upgrades. Secrets on secrets. All wrapped in the aforementioned slick, butter-like consistency of your traversal moveset. And when it isn't traditional gameplay, Moon is showing off with these incredible chase sequences that are even tighter and more spectacular than before. Hell, they managed to get stealth section in there without ruining the party. If that's not the sign of extraordinary talent, I don't know what is. More new additions include the reparable hub, mission givers, and side quests which all bolster the theme of Ori as a forest spirit bringing light back to the various creatures populating this world, as well as the wilderness itself, and all enhance the classical Disney-like quality of the game and story.

It's a success at every level and in a just world Moon Studios' next game would have the mystique of a heralded dev behind it. But if you know you know, and if you don't know you probably play Fortnite so I'm not trippin.

1. [Switch] [Metroidvania] [Moon Studios] Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  2. [PS4] [RTS] [Mimimi Games] Desperados III
  3. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Radical Fish Games] CrossCode
  4. [PS4] [Adventure] [Vanillaware] 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
  5. [Switch] [Adventure] [Size Five Games] Lair of the Clockwork God
  6. [PS4] [Point-and-click adventure] [Cardboard Computer] Kentucky Route Zero
  7. [Switch] [Simulation] [Tendershoot] Hypnospace Outlaw
  8. [PS4] [Beat 'em up] [DotEmu] Streets of Rage 4
  9. [PS4] [RPG] [Sega] Yakuza: Like a Dragon
  10. [PS4] [Adventure] [Thunderlotus] Spiritfarer

Last edited:

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
1. A Monster's Expedition - An amazing puzzle game with genius design and an amazing world to explore. Absolutely loved this and it deserves more love.

2. Hades - A fantastic and charming game full of replayability and great design.

3. The Last of Us Part II - Amazingly crafted game with great characters and gameplay. Really enjoyed my time with this.

4. Demon's Souls - Really enjoyed my time with this game. Looked amazing and the world was great to explore.

5. Ghost of Tsushima - Looks amazing and the world kept me playing until the very end.

6. Spider-Man Miles Morales - Can't beat swinging in snowy New York.

7. Astro's Playroom - Amazingly charming and fun game that should be played by everyone. Loved my time with this.

8. Immortals Fenyx Rising - Really fun game to pick up and play with good mechanics and humor that surprisingly lands the more you play.

9. Sackboy A Big Adventure - Really fun platformer with great music.

10. Bugsnax - Something unique and different that got more fun and engaging the more you play.

1. [PC] [Puzzle] [Draknek & Friends] A Monster's Expedition
  2. [PC] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  3. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Naughty Dog] The Last of Us Part II
  4. [PS5] [Action RPG] [BluePoint Games] Demon's Souls
  5. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Sucker Punch Productions] Ghost of Tsushima
  6. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  7. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sony Interactive Entertainment] Astro's Playroom
  8. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Ubisoft] Immortals Fenyx Rising
  9. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sumo Digital] Sackboy: A Big Adventure
  10. [PS5] [Adventure] [Young Horses] Bugsnax

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
Gaming wise, 2020 was a solid year. I never expected to like Hades, I wasn't sure about the new combat system of Like a Dragon, and Cyberpunk 2077 hype could easily turn into disappointment. Yet, here we are.

01. Yakuza: Like a Dragon - Incredible work from RGGStudio once again. I loved every second of this game, and will probably replay it later this year.
02. Hades - A major surprise for me. I don't like the genre, but Hades' style, voice acting, characters and worldbuilding are top notch. Incredible soundtrack also.
03. Cyberpunk 2077 - Incredible game. Night City took me for a 90 hour ride and I really loved it. This game won't be fading away anytime in my memory.
04. Crusader Kings III - I never got into Paradox games, always too complicated for me. This time, however, they focused on accessibility - and it worked.
05. MAFIA III: Definitive Edition - MAFIA III suffers from how repetitive the game loop is, but the story and Lincoln Clay are way better than I imagined.
06. DEATH STRANDING - I gotta say that I don't remember much of DS' story, but what I remember is that I never had so much fun delivering random things.
07. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III - Cold Steel III never hits the same highs as the first two games in the series, but still is an amazing JRPG.
08. Persona 4 Golden - Sometimes repetitive, sometimes unbalanced, yet, a fun adventure full of interesting characters and a good OST.
09. Nexomon: Extinction - Nexomon sets itself apart from the Pokémon-likes by having a solid story, and a world that reacts to your achievements.
10. MAFIA: Definitive Edition - This one does a lot of things right, but never excels. A solid, beautiful game, but one that lacks the atmosphere of the original.

1. [PC] [RPG] [Sega] Yakuza: Like a Dragon
  3. [PC] [Action RPG] [CD Projekt] Cyberpunk 2077
  4. [PC] [Grand strategy] [Paradox Interactive] Crusader Kings III
  5. [PC] [Action Adventure] [Hangar 13] Mafia III: Definitive Edition
  6. [PC] [Action] [Kojima Productions] Death Stranding
  7. [PC] [RPG] [Nihon Falcom] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III
  8. [PC] [RPG] [Atlus] Persona 4 Golden
  9. [PC][RPG][Lime Turtle] Nexomon Extinction
  10. [PC] [Action Adventure] [Hangar 13] Mafia: Definitive Edition

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
I only played these. I need money to buy more games.

1. Ghost of Tsushima - I need more open world games set in Japan
2. Animal Crossing NH - Perfect COVID game
3. Genshin Impact - Surprisingly good. I still play it daily until this day.

1. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Sucker Punch Productions] Ghost of Tsushima
  2. [Switch] [Simulation] [Nintendo] Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  3. [PC] [Action RPG] [miHoYo] Genshin Impact

Laur

Oct 27, 2017
1. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - Absolute roller coaster of a story with many twists and turns but somehow managing to tie everything together very cohesively. Stunning visuals, absolute banger of a soundtrack. You know you've found something special when I immediately started searching for something that would scratch the same itch but ended up replaying it. Nothing else quite like this.

2. Persona 5 Royal - Persona 5 was already one of the best JRPGs of the modern era the additions in royal improved the game even further.

3. Final Fantasy VII Remake - Looked great and played great while giving off huge nostalgia bombs along with many new things for the people who experienced the OG game. Greatly looking forward to part 2.

4. Half Life Alyx - Sold me on VR, incredible experience.

5. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition - During the 7th gen of consoles I drifted away from JRPG's. It wasn't until 2011 when playing the original on the Wii did my love for the genre come back and hasn't dwindled since. One of the best JRPG's ever made.

6. Hades - I didn't expect to enjoy this game, I generally like very narratively driven games that have a clearly defined start and end; I find this usually isn't the case for roguelikes. Hades changed my opinion on that, its completely possible to create a roguelike game with interesting characters and narrative and to do so amazingly. Also great voice cast.

7. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - Ending to the cold steel saga, having been with the series since FC on the PSP I don't think I'll ever get tired of seeing a bunch of characters that I loved for over a decade casually chatting with more recent additions. To have them all come together for a triumphant ending was great.

8. Astro's Playroom - A tribute to all things PlayStation, had a giant grin all the way through this game. Also a great display of what can be done with the dual sense.

9 Black Mesa - Absolutely amazing remake of Half Life especially the Xen portion. Having followed this games development since 2006 I honestly did not expect to be able to say this.. but it was definitely worth the wait.

10. Demon's Souls - Everything I loved about Demon's Souls now polished to perfection by bluepoint. Nice.

2. [PS4] [RPG] [Atlus] Persona 5 Royal
  3. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy VII Remake
  4. [PC] [Shooter] [Valve] Half-Life: Alyx
  5. [Switch] [Action RPG] [MonolithSoft] Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
  6. [PC] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  7. [PS4] [RPG] [Nihon Falcom] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV
  8. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sony Interactive Entertainment] Astro's Playroom
  9. [PC] [Shooter] [Crowbar Collective] Black Mesa
  10. [PS5] [Action RPG] [BluePoint Games] Demon's Souls

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
1. The Last of Us Part II - I think it's likely tempting to have something else as the Goty choice since picking TLoU2 is 'so expected' but the fact is that the game is pushing the boundaries of the industry in many ways that might not stick out in the games seamles nature and constant level of exceptional quality. Personally I also enjoyed the gameplay more than it's predecessor, I find it hard to name another third person 'shooter' that can stand toe to toe with TLoU2 mechanically, especially considering the animation/physics system at play. The effort behind this game was likely gargantuan. Now I'm looking forward to the incoming HBO series and the standalone multiplayer game as I expect the franchise will blow up to new exceptional heights.

2. Half-Life: Alyx - The game is not breaking new ground design wise within the VR medium but it's a superb come-together of the tested and true sourced from many small successes that came before it. This is state of the art VR 2020. It's pure gameplay and immersion for over a dozen hours and as such it's a very pure 'old school' Half-Life experience. Make no mistake, this is a full on main entry in the series that expand the lore. I expect this game to remain highly important for the medium over the next decade.

3. FF7 Remake - The most fun I've had with a JRPG since Vagrant Story I suspect. It was full of heart and I was surprised at how good some of the new additions were. Visiting Jessie's home felt like a lost 1997 FF7 chapter. I didn't much like the ending segment even if I don't mind the 'twist' but that doesn't take away that this game was full of great content and having one of the finest RPG combat systems I have come across.

4. Astro's Playroom was a near perfect ode to over 25 years of PlayStation. If the PS5 ends up as their last console then Astro did good in honoring their legacy. The ending is touching and sublime. I can image several Sony engineers, creators and veterans dropping a tear.

5. Demon's Souls was an exceptional remake that would likely not be possible if Bluepoint didn't hone their craft over several other gems prior. This lost classic finally received an overdue second chance at life. The Remake actually makes the game feel 'timeless' now as there's no obvious rough corners to be experienced.

6. The Room VR released in the same week as Half-Life: Alyx and still it managed to hold up. Thick on atmosphere and refined puzzle gameplay it does not waste a minute of the player's time in the 7 hours or so it lasts. It was also the first game campaign my wife ever have bothered to finish as she couldn't wait to fire it up after work.

1. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Naughty Dog] The Last of Us Part II
  2. [PC] [Action Adventure] [Valve] Half-Life: Alyx
  3. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy VII Remake
  4. [PS4] [Platformer] [Asobi] Astro's Playroom
  5. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Bluepoint] Demon's Souls
  6. [Oculus Quest] [Puzzle Adventure] [Fireproof Studios] The Room VR

Last edited:

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
1. The Last of Us Part II - Naughty Dog
"If somehow the Lord gave me a second chance at that moment, I would do it all over again" - Joel

Naughty Dog has they subverted all expectations and fully embrace the theme of hate from various points of perspectives. The game does not take any shortcuts, has barely any fan service and does not play it safe; which in it of itself is impressive given ND's previous sequels. This is a game which could have easily satisfied all the fans and instead it takes a leap of faith into a narrative that is rarely touched upon by AAA gaming, thus leaving behind fans not willing to join in on that leap. Along side an impressive AI, more open level design, massively improved gameplay, unmatched visuals and performances and a solid soundtrack. ND continues to lead the pack of AAA narrative lead games.

2. Hades - Supergiant Games
"Well...time to go get killed again." - Zagreus

I'll keep this one short. I dislike most rogue games and I'm not a fan of the genre, but this game is so good it has become one of my all time favorites. The writing, character design and voice acting have AAA quality, Art direction is super and the game design is delicious. I usually hate dying in games but this game made me look forward to it.

3. Ghost of Tsushima - Sucker Punch
"You Have No Honor." "And You Are A Slave To It." - Lord Shimura & Jin Sakai

Going from inFamous Second Son to Ghost of Tsushima was one heck of a glow up for the Seattle studio and they beautifully pulled it off. Easily one of the most of the most beautiful open world games I ever had the pleasure of playing. As an Assassin's Creed fan, while the criticisms of the game being very Ubisoft-like are warranted, I believe the teams managed to improve the game just enough in order to make it stand out on its own. Alongside the Legends multiplayer mode added months later, it's clear Sucker Punch wants to stand alongside the PlayStation Studio greats like Guerrilla and Insomniac.

4. Final Fantasy VII Remake - Square Enix
"That which lies ahead does not yet exist. Our world will become a part of it one day. But I will not end, nor will I have you end." - Sephiroth

Did not think RE2 (2019) would dethroned so fast as one of the best remakes of the last generation but here we are. As someone who has never played VII, Remake was weird at times but still welcoming. Despite being Part 1 of a potential trilogy (or saga), it was definitely one of the best ARPGs I've played in quite some time. Characters were great, art and visuals were a standout and the music continues to be *chef's kiss* timeless. Not sure what the future holds for the rest of the remake but "let us embrace whatever it brings."

5. Spider-Man Miles Morales - Insomniac Games
"That guy? He's our Spider-Man." - Mural Painter

They did again! Another Insomniac Spider-Man and its just as good as the one before it. It looks visually fantastic, it has slightly improved gameplay mechanics, music is solid and it has an amazing story & cast and I'm spectacularly hyped for the upcoming sequel.

6. Astro's Playroom - Asobi Team
*Insert PlayStation Reference Here*

The perfect first PS5 game and it only cost $399-$499! A joyful little game with LOTS of PlayStation nostalgia and history. Its pleasing on the eyes, has a fantastic soundtrack and it makes the Dualsense controller a legit gamechanger for future games on the system. This game shows us (and hopefully Sony) of the huge franchise potential they might have on their hands with a mascot like Astro.

7. Yes Your Grace - Brave At Night
"Who would have thought that sitting in one place would be this stressful!" - King Eryk of Davern

This is one of the reasons why I really like Gamepass. I would probably have never tried out a game like this because it really flew under the radar (didn't even realize that it was a 2020 title). It's a very nerve wracking point and click games with a bit of dark comedy and some great choices and consequences moments that can very punishing.

8. Crash Bandicoot 4: Its About Time - Toys for Bob
"Must we keep going around and around like this? Tell me, Crash, is this all there is, forever?" - Neo Cortex

I can't believe we got a proper sequel to Crash Warped after 2 decades and its also really good! Aside from being a pain in the butt to 100% complete, its one finest platformers I have played from the last generation of consoles.

9. Dreams - Media Molecule
"Nothing is worth doing if you're alone." - Art

Not really into the whole "creating games inside of a game" idea. But Mm continues to be the best as developing them. To my surprise, their introductory game "Art's Dream" became a short but sweet emotional journey and I applaud Mm for doing something so unique. The creative talent is one of the best in the industry and I hope their next project embraces that same creative approach.

10. Cyberpunk 2077 - CDProjekt Red
"Vision without action is a dream. Action without vision is a nightmare. We should remember this." - Takemura

Takemura was right. The game had some good ideas, cool characters and some good story moments. Visually its pretty great and there's some nice attention to detail. But the game really needed more time in the oven. CDPR lost a lot good faith from everyone including myself, especially when Witcher 3 is one my GOAT games, so it will be interesting to see what the future holds for both 2077 and CDPR.

3. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Sucker Punch Productions] Ghost of Tsushima
  4. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy VII Remake
  5. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  6. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sony Interactive Entertainment] Astro's Playroom
  7. [PC] [RPG] [Brave At Night] Yes, Your Grace
  8. [PS4] [Platformer] [Toys for Bob] Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time
  9. [PS4] [Game Creation] [Media Molecule] Dreams
  10. [XBO] [Action RPG] [CD Projekt] Cyberpunk 2077

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
1. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - It's a bit of a cliché by now to note the timing of ACNH's release coinciding with the spread of COVID-19 and a pandemic that forced the world indoors. But even so, the thing about this franchise is that it manages to bring out the soft side of even the most cynical person. Its pure, unironic approach to just feeling good while accomplishing little objectives here and there brought so many friends and strangers together that even notable folks like Elijah Wood wanted to buy turnips from people. Even through its most arbitrary tasks, those of us who put hundreds of hours into it can tell you at least one unique and memorable anecdote out of this game.

2. Yakuza: Like a Dragon - Turned-based battles? Not in my Yakuza! Kiryu isn't the main character? What are we even doing? Finding ways to stay fresh eight main games is in no way an easy task, especially when you spent seven of them building a world with some incredibly popular characters. What's impressive about Y7 is it accomplishes the huge feat of introducing a new, memorable cast--including new protagonist: the idealistic Ichiban--while putting a new spin on gameplay systems that feel true to the franchise but do just enough to feel different and, of all things, manages to be a fun love letter to Dragon Quest.

3. Ghost of Tsushima - When I wrote this, I had come off fresh of finishing the main story with much of the main maps nearly liberated, so I feel like I got a hearty experience. On the surface, GoT would be right at home in the year 2012. It has a sprawling map, with main quests, side quests, activities, lists to check off, etc. What Sucker Punch has managed to do though is add depth to that familiarity, pouring vast amounts of love and research and the result is the ultimate Kurosawa game. I was drawn in to this world and the characters that inhabited it. I was invested enough in Jin's journey that everything about the third act resonated emotionally. The game also features some stunning art direction. Familiar or not, I was very glad to have experienced this game.

4. Hades - Usually it's games I've finished that factor into personal lists, but there's just something about Hades. Supergiant Games knows how to build and create a world with an extra talent for beautiful, fitting soundtracks. With Hades you get an incredibly fun story with some great voiceover work. The game is an adventure and a half, featuring great combat and mechanics. It's a fantastic roguelike (roguelite?) for folks like me who aren't heavily into that particular brand of game.

5. Pikmin 3 Deluxe - My favorite Wii U game gets an update on the Switch. Say what you want about either hardware, but Pikmin3 is an amazing looking title with a fully-realized world. I almost want to hit myself for using the word "charm" to describe a Nintendo game, but Pikmin 3 just exemplifies that charming and solid Nintendo gameplay with a goofy and cute story to follow along. Now where's Pikmin 4?

6. A Short Hike - A Short Hike is like the 2020 equivalent of finding an awesome, brand new thing at a flea market and it was only five bucks. It's also more than that. It's such a lovely little adventure: no twists, no rug is pulled out from under you and it's something else. It's a game about exploration and challenging yourself. What I loved is when it came time to climb the game's infamous peak, what an emotional journey it would become. It packs a lot in the short amount of time it takes to get through it.

7. The Last of Us, Part II - Ah, possibly undoubtedly the most contentious game of last year. Honestly, TLOU2 almost didn't even chart on my personal list. I took issues with the narrative, but not for the reasons most people do. Honestly, I even feel like the sequel misses what made the first game great, compelling, and memorable. So why does it chart? Because even if I don't agree with the story choices, there's a part of me that can't help but appreciate the vast efforts put into even delivering this experience. I don't say that lightly either, considering "vast efforts" is a huge understatement given the controversies surrounding the game, its development, and of course the game industry's handling of the costs of development in general. The gameplay is solid, an improvement from the first game. ND does deliver on the world and level design, giving everything purpose. In spite of the narrative, there are still real, human moments in the game thanks to the exemplary performances of its cast. I may be officially mixed on TLOU2, but I can't ignore it.

1. [Switch] [Simulation] [Nintendo] Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  2. [PS4] [RPG] [Sega] Yakuza: Like a Dragon
  4. [Switch] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  5. [Switch] [RTS] [8ing] Pikmin 3 Deluxe
  6. [Switch] [Adventure] [adamgryu] A Short Hike
  7. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Naughty Dog] The Last of Us Part II

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
HONORABLE MENTION: Demon's Souls is the GOAT. I am extremely sad not to have been able to find a PS5 so I haven't been able to play the remake of the GOAT. I am not sure if I can or should vote for a game I didn't play, so I'm not including it in my list. If I could, it would be number one. Even without playing the remake myself I know it is the best game. Demon's Souls will always be the GOAT

Final Fantasy VII Remake exceeded my expectations in so many ways. The voice acting and writing is great, with such snappy and funny dialogue. They did all of these characters I love justice. The tension between Cloud's facade and his own personality, between the toxic masculinity and uncaring air he outwardly presents to the world and his capacity for compassion and justice is spot on in the writing, and the voice performance mirrors it beautifully. Barret's writing is great with the tension between his gruffness as the leader of Avalanche, his scholarlyness on planetery history and ecology and the tenderness he shows towards Marlene. The way his sunglasses are used as a literal mask, how he shows off his tenderness when he takes them off is a beautiful metaphor code-switching. They really nailed Aeris's personality too, doing a wonderful job of showing her flirtiness and playfulness, rather than the chaste caricature she was often shown as in supplementary material. The battle system is a really good blend of command combat and action combat. And count me among those that love the ending and what they are going for in terms of reimagining the story. I'm so excited to see the future instalments.

I tend to not get sucked into multiplayer games, but damn I was so addicted to Fall Guys for a few months. I just love the goofiness and the accessibility of this game. Easy to learn, hard to master, hilarious both when you win and when you lose horribly. Getting to watch others attempt to qualify and fail miserably after you have qualified yourself lead to so many actual laugh out loud funny moments for me. Absolute joy of a game

Ghost of Tsushima is a game that does some things I don't love. It's a checkbox-ass checkbox game, and those games tend to exhaust me. But somehow, I was able to enjoy Ghost quite a bit. I think an important reason is that the map is teased out to you so very piecemeal, just a little bit at a time, which makes going to all the icons feel less overwhelming. Another aspect is that the combat is fundamentally competent. I enjoy it a lot more than AssCreed combat or Batman combat. Competent melee combat is just rare for a western open world game. I had some problems with the writing, but after going back and playing Infamous 2 and Second Son for the first time aftewards (I made a very negative LTTP thread for Infamous 2) let me just say that the writing is a huge step up over Sucker Punch's earlier efforts. I find the central conflict between honor and subterfuge a bit forced, but damn if that ending didn't get an emotional reaction out of me.

2. [PS4] [Party] [Mediatonic] Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty surprising year for me. Tried a few different games/genres I didn't think I would like and ended up getting hooked.

1. Snowrunner
The most surprising game I played in all of 2020. I never thought I would play a game based around picking up and dropping off cargo but here we are. Despite the slow nature of the game it has provided plenty of tense and thrilling moments while going less than 15mph. It's incredibly addictive has received a fantastic amount of support (new maps, trucks, missions, etc). It's a very rewarding and satisfying gameplay loop.​

2. Super Mega Baseball 3
I'm not the biggest fan of baseball as a sport. But I love a good baseball game that harkens back to the era of more arcade stylings than hardcore simulations. SMB3 nails the right blend of both arcade and simulation gameplay. It's easy enough to pick up and play for any experience level (the difficulty ranges from 1-99 and it also lets you customize specific settings for pitching, batting, etc). It's highly customizable and this latest iteration features a Franchise mode which is insanely fun.​

3. Demon's Souls
Bluepoint has done an amazing job remaking DS. The game is still just as incredible as it ever face but now features fantastic graphics an performance. There's really not much more to say - it's just an incredible game and an incredible experience on the PS5.​

4. Wasteland 3
Outstanding soundtrack, great use of music, a fun story with some great turn based combat. Unfortunately it was quite a buggy mess playing it on the Series X which did hamper my enjoyment. Despite that, the story, builds, combat and great choices and accompanying consequences made me continue playing despite the bugs.​

5. Desperados III
Incredibly addictive. I was never too big on real time tactics games but this one blew me away. The amount of creativity the game allows for is great. Every encounter and portion of the map is a puzzle to be solved. Sitting there planning out your attacks and seeing everything fall into a place is a great feeling.​

6. Resident Evil 3 Remake
Never played the original but the remake looks and plays great. I was a bit disappointed in it overall (especially when compared with 2 Remake) but it was still a fun (but too short) experience.​

7. Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
I still play this almost everyday. It can definitely feel frustrating with the physics and I'm still not fond of a few round types. But bottom line, it's a stupid game with mindless fun that keeps me coming back.​

8. Immortals: Fenyx Rising
Ubisoft got me to play one of their open world games and I liked it. The puzzles were a lot of fun, the smaller world helped, and I loved the fact that I can turn off the compass and ignore farsight, and just run off in any direction and find something cool to do.​

9. Astro's Playroom
Looks great, sounds great, plays great. It wasn't the most in depth game but it was fun and had a very catchy soundtrack. I'm eager to see more.​

10. The Last of Us Part II
An amazing looking game, a technical achievement, and some damn fine gameplay. I wanted it to place higher but I wasn't completely keen on the story and I do feel the game felt a bit bloated and was poorly paced. Which is why I had no desire to play it again once I finished it. But despite that, the combat encounters were ridiculously fun.​

1. [PS4] [Simulation] [Saber Interactive] SnowRunner
  2. [PS4] [Sports] [Metalhead Software] Super Mega Baseball 3
  3. [PS5] [Action RPG] [BluePoint Games] Demon's Souls
  4. [XBO] [RPG] [InXile Entertainment] Wasteland 3
  5. [PS4] [RTS] [Mimimi Games] Desperados III
  6. [PS4] [Survival Horror] [Capcom] Resident Evil 3 Remake
  7. [PS4] [Party] [Mediatonic] Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
  8. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Ubisoft] Immortals Fenyx Rising
  9. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sony Interactive Entertainment] Astro's Playroom
  10. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Naughty Dog] The Last of Us Part II

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
  1. The Last of Us Part II - One of the best games i've ever had the pleasure of playing.Its been a long time since a piece of media has moved me the way this has. Peak stealth/action TPS gameplay. A story that pulls no punches and comes at you with both brutality and elegance. On surface, its often mistaken as a revenge story, but by God, is it so much more than that. A harrowing tale and whirlwind of trauma that has still been haunting me into this new year.
  2. Final Fantasy 7 Remake Part 1 - It was literally a dream game for decades and it came into fruition with a special kind of detail and love made for modern times. There were lots of scary expectations building up to the release - the new gameplay, splitting the game into parts, etc. So props to Squeenix for not only living up to it, but hitting it out of the park.
  3. Ghost of Tsushima - Also another dream game for me. Not only was this the Samurai game i've always wanted as a kid, its also the ninja game i've always wanted. Extremely beautiful. Fun gameplay. I was pleasantly surprised how good the story was and how great of a character Jin Sakai is. Sucker Punch has always been a lowkey favorite dev. I love the Infamous series and was shocked how good this game was. Don't sleep on the Multiplayer.
  4. Animal Crossing New Horizons - Yeah, yeah, yeah...PaNdeMiC game. C'mon its more than that. I haven't played anything in this series since the first release on Gamecube. Its as charming as it is addicting. Even though, i've often been vocal about my gripes about the design choices in the game...none of that holds a candle to the experience I had with friends and family momentarily living in this game.
  5. Hades - My tastes were starting to stray from rogue-likes/lites in the past generation. Around my 3/4th run I had my ratatouille moment that brought the wave of love and care i had into the genre. The new bar is set. I'm a sucker for Greek Mythology. Seeing Supergiant's take on the world and its characters are just something to behold.
  6. Spider-man Miles Morales - Hell of a shadow drop in this year of gaming. Miles character and story was endearing. Spectacular, even. Thinking back on the gameplay compared to SM PS4, after become Milesman, its going to be hard to go back to Pete.

2. [PS4] [RPG] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy 7 Remake
  4. [Switch] [Simulation] [Nintendo] Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  5. [Switch] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  6. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
1. Persona 5 Royal

It's better than the original in every way. It's incredible to see how they've found a way to improve an already near-perfect game. The new semester is wonderful, the new characters blend into the cast seamlessly and the quality of life changes make the game an incredibly smooth experience. Hands down the best JRPG I've ever played.

2. The Last of Us Part II

While not as groundbreaking as the original, it's far more ambitious in its storytelling, atmosphere, and gameplay. The presentation is flawless and Naughty Dog has reached a level of detail that makes real-life look bad. It's incredibly violent, but also one of the most accessible games I've ever played. Truly one of this generation's best games.

3. Ghost of Tsushima

While not as successful as the other games on Metacritic this year critically, despite its notable flaws, it's rare that I've played a new IP towards the end of the generation that is as immersive as Sucker Punch's latest IP. it's by far my favorite game from the developer with some of the most beautiful landscapes and open worlds I've ever experienced in gaming. The combat is visceral, and while it feels like it could've been more, it's an excellent first entry to a potentially massive franchise.

4. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

This game isn't for everyone. Its mixed visual novel and RTS mechanics, along with heavy anime inspirations may turn off many. However, it's got an incredible charm with a very involving set of characters and story. It's incredibly insane at some points and totally out there, but without spoiling too much, it's definitely one of the best stories of this generation.

5. Final Fantasy VII Remake

I have waited 15 years for this game to come out. I was incredibly disappointed when it was announced to be episodic. After having played it, and being disgruntled by the ending, I can totally see why it's being split into its own franchise for the next ten years. I hope to see all of the craziness that Kitase and Nomura will cook with for the sequels. The gameplay is very involving and while the presentation is a little all over the place, it's definitely got loads of charm.

1. [PS4] [RPG] [Atlus] Persona 5 Royal
  2. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Naughty Dog] The Last of Us Part II
  5. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy VII Remake

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
1. Ys: Memories Of Celceta
ys_memories_of_celcet8fj4z.jpg

One of the best Ys games ever made. Great story, great characters, great action, great music, great locations, great everything. It's a blast to play.

2. Trials Of Mana
A breath of fresh air and a sorely needed reminder that Square Enix can still do an amazing remake, at least once in a while.

3. Sackboy's Big Adventure
Came out of nowhere, but what a great surprise. One of the best 3D platformers of recent years, maybe even the best.

4. Streets Of Rage 4
An excellent revival of one of the most iconic beat em up series ever. They're back!

5. Nickelodeon Kart Racers 2
Packs a lot of fun into what's one of the best karting games of recent years.

6. Persona 5 Royal
P5, but even bigger and better. A great expanded and improved release of one of the biggest RPGs of recent years.

7. Stellaris
The kind of game I see myself playing for years in the future. Impressive 4X strategy gaming.

8. Kingdom Hearts MOM
Not Theatrhythm, but it's close enough. A great celebration of lots and lots of KH music and history.

9. Two Point Hospital
Mostly great, but epidemics are no fun for anybody.

10. Fast & Furious Crossroads
Mostly good fun, even with some rough spots. The online mode is a total waste of time and should have been axed to iron out the campaign.

1. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Nihon Falcom] Ys: Memories of Celceta
  2. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Square Enix] Trials of Mana
  3. [PS4] [Platformer] [Sumo Digital] Sackboy: A Big Adventure
  4. [PS4] [Beat 'em up] [DotEmu] Streets of Rage 4
  5. [PS4] [Racing] [Bamtang Games] Nickelodeon Kart Racers 2: Grand Prix
  6. [PS4] [RPG] [Atlus] Persona 5 Royal
  7. [PS4] [Real-time tactics] [Paradox Development Studio] Stellaris: Console Edition
  8. [PS4] [Rhythm] [Square Enix] Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory
  9. [PS4] [Simulation] [Two Point Studios] Two Point Hospital
  10. [PS4] [Racing] [Slightly Mad Studios] Fast & Furious Crossroads

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
1. Paper Mario: The Origami King- Probably the most charming game I played this year. The OST is out of control, the combat is unique and enjoyable, and the writing comes from a genuinely heartfelt place that brings back some of the TTYD magic. Don't sleep on this game, it's wonderful.

2. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity- A great evolution of the original Hyrule Warriors formula. Each character is fun to learn, and the story is very enjoyable to play through. Mipha was my highlight.

3. Animal Crossing: New Horizons- Unquestionably the game that defined this year for me, for many reasons. At once both the best entry in the series, and one that feels like it has potential to keep growing into something truly special. This is also easily the game I've put the most hours in to this year.

4. Hades- Just a very, very, very fun video game. Good story, good voice acting, good music, and great gameplay.

5. Microsoft Flight Simulator- A game that motivated me to build a new PC this year, this is probably the most graphically impressive game I've played. Flying around cities and land marks was a lot of fun, but my best experience was with friends, flying around our home towns and showing each where we lived. Maybe the most unique experience of this year.

6. Saknua: Of Rice and Ruin- I'm still working my way through this one, but it's been a delight so far. The platforming is competent, but the rice farming is the real draw. Something about the care and more "hands on" feel of the labor sets this apart from the likes of Stardew Valley or Harvest Moon, and makes the game very Zen to play through. Can't wait to finish it.

7. Tetris Effect: Connected- Very glad to have finally experienced this on Xbox after having heard how great it was on the PS4. The music and effects are wonderful and draw you into such a nice state. And as for gameplay, well, it's Tetris, and it's pretty hard to improve upon perfection.

8. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition- The remastered introduction to a very dear series to me, this game is a must play for JRPG enthusiasts. Between its sweeping world, memorable characters, and great OST, you'll have a wonderful time getting lost in this epic story. If I had not already played this, it may have been my Game of the Year outright, but even a revisit is enough to make my top gaming experiences of 2020.

9. Super Mario Bros. 35- Pure chaotic fun, and a great twist on a game I know like the back of my hand. It's amazing how something as familiar as Super Mario Bros. can be turned on its head for one of the best multiplayer games this year. It's fun learning the strategies of how to survive and then eliminate your rivals until you're the last one standing. I hope this game survives the March 31st expiration date in some form.

10. Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout- Another great online multiplayer game that dominated my attention for a few weeks. The game strikes a balance between skill and dumb luck that makes you feel like you're always in contention to get that sweet sweet crown, and that you can always improve. The game isn't without its issues, but it's definitely a fun time to play.

1. [Switch] [RPG] [Intelligent Systems] Paper Mario: The Origami King
  2. [Switch] [Hack and slash] [Omega Force] Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
  3. [Switch] [Simulation] [Nintendo] Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  5. [PC] [Flight simulator] [Asobo Studio] Microsoft Flight Simulator
  6. [Switch] [Action] [Edelweiss] Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin
  7. [XBO] [Puzzle] [Monstars and Resonair] Tetris Effect: Connected
  8. [Switch] [Action RPG] [MonolithSoft] Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
  9. [Switch] [Platformer] [Arika] Super Mario Bros. 35
  10. [PC] [Party] [Mediatonic] Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout

Last edited:

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
Made a slight change to my my list. Edited out my previous post.

Honorable Mentions

Crusader Kings III
: A more accessible entry in the grand strategy series that's just as enjoyable as it is unpredictable and complex.

Astro's Playroom: Had it been a full blown game like Astro Bot: Rescue Mission, Astro's Playroom would've been somewhere high on my list. Despite being more of a proof of concept to show off the DualSense controller's features, it was simply a joy to play.

Spider-Man: Miles Morales: A more likeable Spider-Man, a tightly focused story, and more enjoyable combat than in the original made for a better Spider-Man game overall. The only major disappointment was the shorter-than-expected length.

List

10. Streets of Rage 4: One heck of a comeback for a beat 'em up series I've grown up playing and enjoying.

9. Hades: As someone who isn't a fan of roguelikes, Hades convinced me to play it through to the end. The combat is fluid and increasingly satisfying, but things can get repetitive fast. Luckily, the narrative acknowledges this and does a great job of contextualizing the repetition.

8. Half-Life: Alyx: Among the most immersive experiences the medium has seen, HL: Alyx's attention to detail and level of interactivity set a new standard for VR games. Combat didn't feel as stellar due to the design considerations made to accommodate it within the framework of VR, but it wasn't a deal breaker by any means.

7. Ori and the Will of the Wisps: A terrific metroidvania platformer that confidently builds on everything that made the original special. One heck of an emotional journey.

6. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim: An unlikely mix of Front Mission, Suikoden, and Zero Escape. It's amazing that something like 13 Sentinels even exists. As a fan of anime and sci-fi, I felt that this experience was tailor-made for me.

5. Demon's Souls: As someone who hasn't played the original, I enjoyed the remake more than the any of the games in the Dark Souls trilogy. Thanks to the much improved audiovisual feedback and hit reactions, the combat felt more visceral and satisfying. Also, World Tendency brought a nice twist to the formula.

4. Persona 5 Royal: A thoroughly enjoyable Persona game made even more so with likeable new characters, tons of additional content, and worthwhile quality of life improvements.

3. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition: One of the best RPGs ever got even better this year with the release of the definitive edition, thanks to some nice quality of life improvements, remastered audiovisuals, and the added Future Connected story. One of those rare, timeless classics that hold up extremely well even a decade after their original release. It's Reyn time, all the time!

2. Final Fantasy VII Remake: As a fan of the original, I went in with huge expectations and wasn't disappointed for the most part. Aside from some blatant padding here and there, everything including the characters, dialogue, visuals, music, and combat come together to deliver a memorable experience. The battle system isn't perfect by any means and there's certainly room for improvement, but I feel that Square Enix is on to something special here. As such, I can't wait to see where things go next, with regards to both the story and gameplay.

1. The Last of Us Part II: I didn't think any game would equal Breath of the Wild as my game of the generation, but The Last of Us Part II ended up being right up there for me. Where BOTW is the pinnacle of emergent game design, TLOU Part II delivers a daring and bold narrative that works as well as it does because it's told through a video game. It's also a fantastic stealth shooter that does a great job of complementing the narrative's underlying themes. What I really admire about the gameplay is how it empowers the player with tools to improvise and tackle combat encounters in different ways, which is further supported by some excellent level design and NPC AI.

2. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. [Switch] [Action RPG] [MonolithSoft] Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
  4. [PS4] [RPG] [Atlus] Persona 5 Royal
  5. [PS5] [Action RPG] [BluePoint Games] Demon's Souls
  6. [PS4] [Adventure] [Vanillaware] 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
  7. [PC] [Metroidvania] [Moon Studios] Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  8. [PC] [Shooter] [Valve] Half-Life: Alyx
  9. [Switch] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  10. [PS4] [Beat 'em up] [DotEmu] Streets of Rage 4

JPS

Oct 27, 2017
Hades - very addicting rogue-lite, offering story content for 80+ hours - couldn't stop playing until I reached 100% and Heat 32 after more than 100 hours

Monster Train - my favorite deck builder; feels more varied and is looking better than Slay the Spire

Cyberpunk 2077 - a real graphical milestone on PC - wasn't that excited about graphics for a very long time - gameplay also feels fresh and gives players enough freedom (the most important aspect of any open world game); bugs and lack of finishing touch prevented a higher ranking

Alwa's Legacy - my favorite Metroidvania of 2020; great sound track, nice pixel art, interesting ideas and items/weapons, classic gameplay instead of high difficulty or high speed of many modern Metroidvanias

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 - finally a good arcade sports game after all those years - even if it's a remake.

The Last of Us Part 2 - one of my favorite story driven games of all time; gave me Half-Life vibes; 30fps limitation (missing PS5 Aware patch) prevented a higher ranking

1. [PC] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  2. [PC] [Roguelike] [Shiny Shoe] Monster Train
  3. [PC] [Action RPG] [CD Projekt] Cyberpunk 2077
  4. [PC][Metroidvania][Elden Pixels] Alwa's Legacy
  5. [PS4] [Sports] [Vicarious Visions] Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2
  6. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Naughty Dog] The Last of Us Part II

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
1. [PC] [First Person Shooter] [VR] [Valve] Half-Life: Alyx
2. [Xbox One] [First Person Shooter] [id Software] DOOM: Eternal
3. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Naughty Dog] The Last of Us: Part II
4. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Sucker Punch] Ghost of Tsushima
5. [PC] [Flight Simulator] [Asobo] Microsoft Flight Simulator

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Played tons of old stuff last year on Game Pass... but it's Demon's Souls and it's not even close for me

1. [PS5] [Action RPG] [BluePoint Games] Demon's Souls
  2. [XBO] [Platformer] [Devolver Digital ] Katana ZERO
  3. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Sucker Punch Productions] Ghost of Tsushima
  4. [PC] [RTS] [Petroglyph Games] Command & Conquer Remastered Collection
  5. [XBO] [Adventure] [KeokeN Interactive] Deliver us the Moon

HamRadio

Sep 14, 2020
1. FF7re
I thought I won't like FF7re very much when I started the game. The ten-hour long prologue of the original FF7 was stretched to about 40 hours, which didn't sit well with me at first. However, the extra content allows a more detailed depiction of each character, even the sidekicks. The modernised experience makes all the charaters much more endearing. I wouldn't miss the polygons and awfully translated dialogue in the original game any more after I played FF7re.
Battle system is the cherry on top for me. It combined the tactical resource managing and realtime combat together and rendered a very flashy and replayable experience. I just hope the load time would be better when SE gives us the next-gen update. The wait time to try out new materia builds is unberable somtimes.
However, the story and lore of FF7re seems iffy sometimes. I understand Tetsuya Nomura and Square Enix want FF7re to be somewhat a reboot to the FF7 universre, but the execution makes me thinking this is gonna be a Kingdom Hearts like situation, with time travelling and destiny altering all that stuff.

2. AC:NH
This is my first Animal crossing and I loved every bit of it (well, until almost every piece of dialogue was drained).

3. Hades
I thought I already get over the indie roguelikes ... turns out a great cast of charaters makes all the difference! I was surprised how vibrant all the gods are. I guess SuperGiant is just good at creating characters.

4. 51
A great game is a game everyone can pick it up, play with others, and have fun. Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics has 51 that kinda games in it! (Well, almost 51. I would be completely fine without Pigtail and Fishing.)

1. [PS4] [RPG] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy 7 Remake
  4. [Switch] [Party] [Nintendo] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
1. Pathologic 2: this is the most immersive game, from a narrative and world building standpoint, that I have ever played. The sense of curiosity, fear and exhilaration that this game is able to infuse in you is something I had not experienced before. One of those games I will never forget about.

2. Half Life Alyx: if Pathologic 2 is the most immersive game from a narrative standpoint, Alyx is to me the most immersive game in any other way. This is VR's killer up and, even though I still need to finish it (mostly because I only want to play it when I'm sure I can dedicate it the time and space it deserves), for me it's the must play game of the year. Also, crazy how the source engine can still look so photorealistic sometimes.

3. Grindstone: I'm a sucker for puzzle games and this is one of the best money can buy.

4. Huntdown: I'm still going through this one at the moment but it has come crashing into my top 10 very easily. One of the best 2D run and gun games ever. I can't think of anything bad about this game.

5. DOOM Eternal: DOOM 2016 was my GOTY of that year and, after reading some comments about this sequel, I feared I would not like it but I actually love this game just as much as 2016 and I really like the changes introduced gameplay wise. Gotta play it in PC though.

6. Hades: I don't think I liked Hades as much as many others, given how many GOTY awards it received, but it's definitely one incredible game that is very difficult to find any faults too. My favorite Supergiant game for sure.

7. Ori and the Will of the Wisps: I have not yet finished this game (too many distractions on gamepass!) but what I played of it was quite amazing in every possible way. Playing this in a good TV is really something else.

8. A Short Hike: this game maybe deserved to be higher on the list, to be honest, as it is one of the best experiences i had all year. They really out-Nintendoed Nintendo with this game, they nailed the game feel like not many developers can. Really looking forward to whatever these people make next.

9. Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Ultimately, this game wasn't for me, because I guess that either you put hundreds of hours into it to really get everything out of the game. I however enjoyed the game a lot for the time I spent with it and can appreciate how good it is at what it does.

10. Clubhouse Games: the DS game was one of my favorite ones in my collection. This one mostly lived up to those expectations but, sadly, the simplified versions of poker that they implemented in here were quite disappointing in the end and limited the replay value by a lot. But there are still many other very nice games in here so I still consider this a must have in Nintendo Switch catalog.

1. [PS4] [Survival Horror] [Ice-Pick Lodge] Pathologic 2
  2. [PC] [Shooter] [Valve] Half-Life: Alyx
  3. [Switch] [Puzzle] [Capybara Games] Grindstone
  4. [Switch] [Platformer] [Easy Trigger Games] Huntdown
  5. [PC] [Shooter] [id Software] Doom Eternal
  6. [Switch] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  8. [Switch] [Adventure] [adamgryu] A Short Hike
  9. [Switch] [Simulation] [Nintendo] Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  10. [Switch] [Party] [Nintendo] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics

Last edited:

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
eve7jy0vkauy9mr8ekhv.jpg

Pictured above: Isabelle's tears of joys upon learning she won GOTY 2020. Or alternatively her devastated emotional reaction to resetera scorning her. Your pick!

Animal Crossing fits one common understanding of what it means to be called GOTY more perfectly than any game I have played or will likely ever play. When I think of 2020 I am going to remember the spring, summer, fall and winter of New Horizons over the real seasons. I visited more strangers on other islands many time zones apart than I did the homes of family only a walk away. There is no hug emote for sale in Nook's Cranny or redeemable for Nook Miles or else I would have hugged a record number of villagers like I couldn't the people I've known all my life, too. Dodo Airlines loading screens can't seperate friends the way a pandemic does, and the pleasure of small annoyances as well has been retaught in the wake of isolation from the comfortable grumbles of what once was our daily slog.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons isn't a Game of the Year. It is, specifically and inseparably, the Game of the Year 2020.

Last edited:

Mathi

Oct 25, 2017
1. The Last of Us Part II - I had high expectations and the game didn't disappoint, an incredible experience from start to finish.
2. Demon's Souls - A fantastic looking remake of an already fantastic game, Bluepoint did a great job with this one.
3. Resident Evil 3 Remake - It was a bit shorter than I would've liked, but I enjoyed every minute of it.
4. Cyberpunk 2077 - Despite it's problems, the world, the story and the characters were engaging enough to carry the game for me.
5. Ghost of Tsushima - A beautiful open world game with satisfying combat. I loved the cinematic duels!
6. XCOM: Chimera Squad - I'd forgotten how much I missed the series, I hope we'll see a real XCOM 3 one day.
7. Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Like the other recent Assassin's Creed games this one is way too long, but for some reason I still enjoy playing them.
8. Paper Mario: The Origami King - The battle system never really grew on me, but the rest of the game was pretty good.
9. Doom Eternal - Solid sequel to the 2016 game with a kickass soundtrack, looking forward to the next DLC.
10. Pikmin 3 - I almost skipped this because I played it on Wii U already and I'm glad I didn't, it's still a lot of fun.

2. [PS5] [Action RPG] [BluePoint Games] Demon's Souls
  3. [PC] [Survival Horror] [Capcom] Resident Evil 3 Remake
  4. [PC] [Action RPG] [CD Projekt] Cyberpunk 2077
  5. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Sucker Punch Productions] Ghost of Tsushima
  6. [PC] [Turn-based strategy] [Firaxis Games] XCOM: Chimera Squad
  7. [PC] [Action RPG] [Ubisoft] Assassin's Creed Valhalla
  8. [Switch] [RPG] [Intelligent Systems] Paper Mario: The Origami King
  9. [PC] [Shooter] [id Software] Doom Eternal
  10. [Switch] [RTS] [8ing] Pikmin 3 Deluxe

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
1. Warzone is by far and way the most exciting game that has come out for the previous gen. The gameplay is absolutely fantastic and the tension of the final couple of circles is literally unmatched. The only thing I can compare it to is to playing in Halo tournaments. But most importantly, it gave me something to get excited about during the lockdowns and was a tool to connect with friends.

2. Animal Crossing isn't necessarily good game. But the atmosphere and vibes are just too good. And during all the COVID nonsense it really made it possible to escape to an idyllic island and forget about what was going on in the world.

3. No game is as touching and moving as Ori is. It was a more emotional story than the Last of Us was. Amazing gameplay and visuals are just the cherry on top.

4. The gameplay is leaps and bounds better than the first one and you get some interesting and unexpected fight because of it. It suits the story because you just have to improvise to survive and it works beautifully. The story itself is unfortunately not interesting at all and because of that the game just isn't as impactful as the first one. But I massive credits for the scenes and moments within the story itself. Because those are an absolute master class and achieve something emotional that is brilliant and proves that games are a powerful storytelling tool with unique capabilities.

1. [PS4] [Shooter] [Infinity Ward] Call of Duty: Warzone
  3. [XBO] [Metroidvania] [Moon Studios] Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  4. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Naughty Dog] The Last of Us Part II

Tankard

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
1. TLOU Part 2 - Just like the first, one of the best games I ever played. I love the unique nature in which the story is presented in a video game. Nothing is black and white and the writers nailed how we are as people.

2. Ghost of Tsushima - Sucker Punch is one of my favorite developers and this game surprised so much. Amazing combat and a story compeling enough to care about that world. They've done it again.

3. Final Fantasy VII Remake - Not quite as faifhtul to the original but I honestly don't care. A incredibly well made remake made with care. I loved how they reintroduced combat here and they all look great.

Don't own Xbox. Also don't own the PS5 yet.

2. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Sucker Punch Productions] Ghost of Tsushima
  3. [PS4] [RPG] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy 7 Remake
  4. [Switch] [Metroidvania] [Moon Studios] Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  5. [PS4] [RPG] [Sega] Yakuza: Like a Dragon
  8. [Switch] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  9. [PS4] [Platformer] [Toys for Bob] Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time
  10. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Team Ninja] Nioh 2

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
1. The Last of Us 2 had the most compelling story, incredible game play, and fantastic graphics (even on the PS4). It is a game that left me in tears and I cannot wait for part 3.

2. Miles Morales - Insomniac continues to deliver with their Spiderman formula. The new powers were a nice change of pace and the story was enjoyable. I wish it was a bit longer, but overall a fantastic package.

1. [PS4][Action Adventure] [Naughty Dog] The Last of Us Part II
2. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Not a whole lot for me this year. Was excited for FFVIIR but the action-based gameplay disappointed me compared to the original turn-based game. Should probably try Yakuza like a dragon soon.
  1. [PC] [RPG] [CD Projekt] Cyberpunk 2077
  2. [PC] [RPG] [Square-Enix] Dragon Quest XI S
  3. [PC] [Sports] [Vicarious Visions] Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wish I could write more but I'm really busy these days.

1. Final Fantasy VII Remake - Simply the finest ARPG I have played to date. Love the combat system to bits and the liberties they took with the story is just amazing. If SE put in half as much effort into FFVIII Remake...I might just break down in tears lol.

2. The Last of Us Part II - The combat has been massively upgraded and what else is there to say about the story and atmosphere? Another masterpiece from ND.

3. Ghost of Tsushima - I was prepared to be underwhelmed as the game direction really wasn't my cup of tea. Ended up pleasantly surprised by the simple fun I had for the 50 hrs journey.

5. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales

Robotnik

Nov 3, 2017
1 - 13 Sentinels : Aegis Rim - There is simply nothing else like this absolute gem of a game. Quality story-telling in video games is rare enough, but 13S:AR manages to tell a compelling, non-linear love-letter to Sci Fi using every genre trope imaginable across 13 protagonists individual narratives. The constant twists and turns will keep your head spinning and desperate to know what happens next. On top of all this, the semi-real time strategy/tower defense sentinel battle gameplay is somehow sublime despite being radically different from the rest of the game. Truly a once-in-a-lifetime kind of game. It's not without its faults- like the occasional objectifying fan service and occasional creepy way girls are portrayed or treated. Despite these serious problems, I can't help but heartily recommend this game to anyone who wants to be surprised and enthralled by a quality narrative.

2 - Final Fantasy VII Remake - I can't believe this game turned out as good as it did. I went from having basically no faith in Square Enix's ability to produce a quality RPG experience to falling completely in love with them all over again. FF7:R is actually incredibly fun, with combat mechanics that kept me coming back for more. And that's to say nothing of the story, which I won't get into here, but will say it got me excited for the upcoming episodes in a way I couldn't imagine.

2. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Naughty Dog] The Last of Us Part II
  4. [PC] [First Person Shooter] [id Software] DOOM: Eternal
  5. [PC] [RPG] [Sega] Yakuza: Like a Dragon

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
GOTY.png

Despite 2020 being an awful year for the world, it was a truly amazing year for games. So many great titles came out that picking this list was quite difficult.

I have a lot more thought to share on my picks, but sadly I don't have the time atm to sit down and write them in details. So I instead I'm gonna give a shout out to the following:

Yakuza: Like a Dragon: Ichiban is the best character of last gen for me. He has such an incredible personality that you just can't help but love him which makes the secnes where he is hurt, hit you that much harder. I honestly cannot recommend this game enough.

Ghost of Tsushima: Assassin's Creed in Japan! But even better than Ubisoft's AC, because the world looks absolutely stunning, the traversal and sense of discovery is amazing, and Jin Sakai is such a good character. The fact that they made me care about Jin becoming the Ghost was the biggest triumph of this game.

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
: Mind blowing. You cannot possibly guess what this game is actually about, even if you manage to predict some of the twists. The only reason it took me so long to make this list is because I wanted to finish this game before doing it, but sadly it seems like I won't have the time to do so before the voting closes. I've played through %50 of the game give or take and it's already one of my favorite story focused games ever. Also, the combat is really fun, I don't care what others say about it lol

1. [PS4] [RPG] [Sega] Yakuza: Like a Dragon
  2. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Sucker Punch Productions] Ghost of Tsushima
  3. [PS4] [Adventure] [Vanillaware] 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
  4. [PS4] [RPG] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy 7 Remake
  5. [PS4] [Survival Horror] [Capcom] Resident Evil 3 Remake
  6. [Switch] [RPG] [Intelligent Systems] Paper Mario: The Origami King
  8. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Koei Tecmo] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4
  9. [PS4] [RPG] [Koei Tecmo] Fairy Tail
  10. [PS4] [Action RPG] [miHoYo] Genshin Impact

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely a bring trend this year towards games that let me interact with people, for obvious reasons.

1) Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers - It's funny, last year in the GOTY thread I did some stats that showed that Shadowbringers was by far the highest rated game when divided by the number of ballots it appeared on. So clearly it was pretty dang good if you actually played enough of the game to get to it. That year I thought to myself, "That must be really good, but I just can't take the time to get involved in an MMO to check this out." Well, 2020 sure delivered on plenty of time. And dang it's so good. The story content released this year, specifically patch 5.3, is probably my favorite climax to a story I've played in a long time. It uses so many elements from the hundreds and hundreds of hours you've played the game in all really cool ways. It's so good.

2) Factorio: Factorio released this year! Wow! It's been one of the best games out there for a long time, and it's awesome it finally hit 1.0. It's phenomenal and has my favorite progression of player power in a game. You start mining individual pieces of iron with a pickaxe, then you build a small automated factor to mine it for you, then by the end you have a fully automated train network, and robots that build entire factories for you with the click of a button. And every step along the way feels earned and makes sense.

3) Among Us - It gave me an opportunity to get together with a bunch of my friends and have some amazing laughs and moments. It was wonderful, and the tiny studio managed to pretty quickly start responding to the absurd influx of players which should be commended.

4) 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - I haven't quite finished this, but I'm really glad I finally dug into i. The fact that a story told in a non determined order across 13 protagonists somehow works is really incredible.

5) Final Fantasy 7 Remake - As someone without nostalgia for the original, it was really amazing how effectively this thing grabbed me. The combat system is amazing, the story is great, and the music is to die for. Loved it.

6) Snowrunner - TRUCKS! This was a nice chill and listen to music game. Driving a truck across hazardous terrain was surprisingly engrossing.

7) Blaseball - Blaseball is the new Twitch Plays Pokemon. I hope after it's return it becomes a similarly huge phenomenon. Though, I wonder how the current community would react to an explosion of popularity. Watching the Internet Cup Finals that ended with a boss battle was one of the most surprising and fascinating things I've seen. The Game Bands ability to react to community stuff is incredible.

8) Deep Rock Galactic - I really like how this game alternates between crazy action and more chill mining/traversal.

9) Hades - Probably the game that is the most consistent and high quality product on the list. Every bit of it feels so well designed.

10) Animal Crossing: New Horizon - This was the other thing that really brought me together with my friends for the first few months of quarantine. It'd be so much higher on the list if they online wasn't an absolute travesty.

1. [PC] [MMO] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy 14 Shadowbringers
  2. [PC] [Simulation] [Wube Software] Factorio
  3. [Switch] [Party] [Innersloth] Among Us
  5. [PS4] [RPG] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy 7 Remake
  6. [PC] [Simulation] [Saber Interactive] SnowRunner
  7. [Browser] [Sports] [The Game Band] Blaseball
  8. [PC] [Shooter] [Ghost Ship Games] Deep Rock Galactic
  9. [Switch] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  10. [Switch] [Simulation] [Nintendo] Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Squirrelised

Jul 2, 2019
1. Ori and the Will of the Wisps - With how great the first game is, I am amazed how they managed to improve on every single aspect with the sequel. The new combat system is great, with some really memorable bosses to go with it. The new grapple ability makes the movement somehow even more satisfying, and the new hub village was a really cool addition. And the game even manages to look even more beautiful than the original.

2. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX - The original Rescue Team game was definitely the most important game of my childhood, it was the first game to make me cry and taught me that video games could be more than just a fun way to pass the time. Since then I have played many games with much more interesting stories and more complex characters, but this game will always have a special place in my heart, and it was an absolute treat for me to play through the game again with updated visuals and the gameplay improvements from later games. Although it is a big shame they didn't also implement the Emera system from Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon, otherwise this game would have definitely been #1.

3. Hades - A genre I have always avoided is roguelikes, primarily because one of my biggest turnoffs in video games is the loss of progress, and by definition roguelikes have this built into them. But Hades still managed to pull me in with its interesting premise, great cast of characters and a big focus improving your character between runs. This game is well-deserving of the popularity it got.

4. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Another genre I have always avoided is the life simulation genre, but for the complete opposite reason: I was afraid I would enjoy it too much. It was pretty hard for me to justify putting hundreds of hours into a relatively simple video game while I could spend the same time playing a lot of other games. But I finally caved with New Horizons, and I'm glad I did because I had a lot of fun developing my island and getting to know my villagers. It really felt like it was my island and no one else's. But I am also really glad I was able to put the game down eventually.

5. Paper Mario: The Origami King - I loved the humor in this game, and the dungeons and areas were very cleverly designed The regular combat could unfortunately get a bit stale, but the boss fights were consistently fantastic.

6. Paradise Killer - Without a doubt the least polished game on this list, but what it lacks in polish it makes up with a lot of heart. The setting is definitely the most unique I've ever seen in a video game, and exploring this abandoned paradise solving a complex murder with a very exotic cast of suspects was a very memorable experience. All while one the best OSTs of the year was playing in the background.

7. Fire Emblem: Three Houses: Cindered Shadows - More content for my 2019 GOTY? Yes please.

8. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity - One of the few time travel plots that can 100% justify its inclusion of time travel. Making a Warriors game as a prequel to BotW was a genius idea, and the game fully capitalizes on it.

9. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore - I like Fire Emblem, I like Shin Megami Tensei, so yeah, I also really like this game.

10. Ninjala - I'm a sucker for online PvP games with an interesting twist, and Ninjala does a remarkably good job on being a melee-based arena fighter. I have also been really impressed by the support the game has gotten post-launch.

1. [PC] [Metroidvania] [Moon Studios] Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  2. [Switch] [Roguelike] [Spike Chunsoft] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX
  4. [Switch] [Simulation] [Nintendo] Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  5. [Switch] [RPG] [Intelligent Systems] Paper Mario: The Origami King
  6. [Switch] [Adventure] [Kaizen Game Works] Paradise Killer
  7. [Switch] [Tactical role-playing] [Nintendo] Fire Emblem: Three Houses: Cindered Shadows
  8. [Switch] [Hack and slash] [Omega Force] Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
  9. [Switch] [RPG] [Atlus] Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
  10. [Switch] [Action] [GungHo Online Entertainment] Ninjala

Jan 10, 2019
1. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
It's a close call between this and number 2 on the list, but I just can't put this anywhere else than top of the bill. It's been said a million times before, but New Horizons was there at a time when it was most needed. It brought so much positivity and joy and still does. Despite the poorly implemented online features, it brought people together.

2. Hades

Merely echoing what others said before, Hades is an amazing game with tight combat, a wonderful presentation and, despite being a roguelike, an unmatched sense of progression. The characters and narrative are wonderfully written, the voice acting and soundtrack are fantastic. Most importantly it's fun and feels good to play.

3. Huntdown

What an incredible gem of a game this is. I only played this very recently and it immediately got its hooks in me. The presentation is just unbelievably good with beautiful aesthetics, the sense of detail is fantastic and the controls are tight. Icing on the cake is the fantastic synthwave soundtrack and energetic voice acting. The best cyberpunk game of 2020 and the one game I would recommend to everyone.

4. Grindstone
5. A Short Hike
6. CrossCode
7. Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics
8. Paradise Killer
9. Mortal Shell
10. The Pathless

Bonus: 10 games I haven't played yet, but would've likely been contenders for me:

Demon's Souls, Umurangi Generation, Alba, Morbid: The Seven Acolytes, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Streets of Rage 4, Spiritfarer, Ghost of Tsushima, Xenoblade Chronicles: DE, Omori

2. [Switch] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  3. [Switch] [Platformer] [Easy Trigger Games] Huntdown
  4. [Switch] [Puzzle] [Capybara Games] Grindstone
  5. [Switch] [Adventure] [adamgryu] A Short Hike
  6. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Radical Fish Games] CrossCode
  7. [Switch] [Party] [Nintendo] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics
  8. [Switch] [Adventure] [Kaizen Game Works] Paradise Killer
  9. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Cold Symmetry] Mortal Shell
  10. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Giant Squid] The Pathless

Kizuna

Oct 27, 2017
1) Astro's Playroom – Simply a delightful experience throughout. I've owned every console made by Sony throughout the years, and it this was a great trip down the memory lane as well as a very solid game in and of itself. The DualSense features showcased within the game made me go "Whoa!" more times than I care to count. Everything about Astro's world is charming. I hope to see an Astrobot game outside of VR one day.

2) Yakuza: Like A Dragon – Yakuza 7 is a masterpiece. The move away from Kamurocho which is, while iconic, an incredibly small and overused location, to the streets of Yokohama was my most anticipated feature of the newest entry and it didn't disappoint. The story was great too, bringing up a number of issues like homelessness that aren't too common in Japanese media. And while, unlike some posters on Era, I don't dislike the stereotypical JRPG party of teenagers out to save the world, Ichiban and company were a welcome breath of fresh air. I found the RPG mechanics and the dungeons a little lacking, but it's certainly the most memorable thing I've played in 2020.

3) 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim – Some of the best characters and art this gen. The story was a fun ride, and while I wasn't as keen about it as some of my friends (mainly because I couldn't really see how the events connect throughout most of the game!), it had some wonderful moments.

4) Hades – This one is addictive. I'm normally not one for roguelites, but I spent upwards of 20 hours playing in my first three days with Hades. Still coming back to it every so often, and I don't see myself moving on from Hades for good in the near future.

5) Genshin Impact – Went into this one with low, low expectations, and was more than pleasantly surprised. I didn't like BoTW and don't care for gachas in general, however Genshin Impact is like an ideal fantasy world. It's THE isekai. It's beatiful, vast and filled to the brim with stuff to explore. And some of the best character designs this year are a cherry on top of it all. 100 hours in and going strong.

6) Omae no Supacha de Sekai wo Sukue! (お前のスパチャで世界を救え!) – This is probably the only vote on here this game is getting, but I wanted to highlight it regardless. It's a free visual novel that's only available in Japanese – essentially, it's a short-ish story about a vtuber fan, who wants to keep his oshi, Nia-chan, from retiring by raining donations on her. Like a lot of people I got into vtubers last year, and I'd say that this game is a great look into a mindset of a fairly obsessive fan (one that's not particularly unlike myself). I particularly liked one of the "bad" endings (Bitter End – New Love, if anyone's played it), as it is a profound glimpse into the ephemeral nature of the content posted online and parasocial relationships surrounding it.

7) Ghost of Tsushima – An Assassin's Creed game done right. GoT looked like a next-gen game even on my base PS4, and was a delight to play to boot. The story of GoT was unexpectedly deep too – a society living in accordance with a clear set of rules, which are generally seen as fair, is attacked from the outside by invaders; do they abandon the rules and fight back with everything they can, or stick with them to the bitter end? And if the do abandon the Pandora's box, is there any going back? Ghost of Tsushima is brought down a bit by the usual run-of-the-mill open-world "content" like enemy encampments, but that aspect can be easily ignored.

8) Persona 5 Royal – One of the greatest JRPGs out there, now improved. It's only this low because it's full-price. Seriously, Atlus, I like your games but reselling a 100-hour game with 20 hours of new content for 60 euros is obnoxious, knock it off already.

1. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sony Interactive Entertainment] Astro's Playroom
  2. [PS4] [RPG] [Sega] Yakuza: Like a Dragon
  3. [PS4] [Adventure] [Vanillaware] 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
  5. [PS4] [Action RPG] [miHoYo] Genshin Impact
  6. [PC] [Adventure] [misosio] Omae no Supacha de Sekai wo Sukue!
  7. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Sucker Punch Productions] Ghost of Tsushima
  8. [PS4] [RPG] [Atlus] Persona 5 Royal

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
1. The Last of Us: Part II

Looking back at the games I played this year, my top 7 all could have been my GOTY in other years. However, amidst a great line-up for 2020, one game shined above the rest. The Last of Us: Part II was a phenomenal experience from top to bottom. While it didn't necessarily reinvent gameplay, it was another masterful work of art by Naughty Dog. The story from both perspectives was captivating, the gameplay was tight and immersive and the graphics were simply jaw-dropping. This game deserves all the praise it receives, pushing boundaries as well as opening players' eyes to harsh truths about themselves and the world around them. Truly a gem in the shambles of the 2020 calendar year.

2. Demon's Souls

Booting up the PS5 for the first time will be a memory I cherish for a long time. Not only because it was a brand new system but to play the last Soulsborne game by FROM on the list (having missed the PS3 version). This game really demonstrates the difference between PS5 and PS4, as it is leaps and bounds better-looking than almost anything the PS4 has to offer. While the gameplay definitely felt dated at times (especially having played the Dark Souls series), it still had that FROM perfection. The bosses were interesting, the world was mystifying and I am itching to see more PS5 exclusives if they are anything even remotely as amazing as Demon's Souls.

3. Final Fantasy 7 Remake

I never played the original FF7, so this game didn't originally excite me as much as the fans who had been waiting a long time. But after the opening sequence, with the superb music playing and story unfolding, I was hooked. It did drag its feet as the end neared but it was worth the push to the finale. The end of the game left me in confusion and excitement for the next installment. This game looks and feels like you are playing CGI from Advent Children, and that is exactly what I wanted. I originally didn't think this game would even pierce my top 10, but it cleanly deserves a spot on the podium.

4. Doom Eternal

I waited a long time to play this one, despite loving the 2016 game. I only picked this up and played it in the early weeks of 2021, and I regret that wait greatly after playing Doom Eternal. While other games have more interesting stories and better graphics, this game holds the trophy for 'Most Fun'. Every second of this game is enjoyable. The controls are on-point and make the frantic, chaotic gameplay feel as smooth as silk. My only gripe with this game is having the Platinum trophy tied to some Multiplayer content, as I was really looking forward to reaching 100%. If you haven't played this yet and are starting to feel the fatigue of slower-paced story or open-world games, I strongly recommend jumping into Doom Eternal.

5. Immortals: Fenyx Rising

How did this game possibly turn out as good as it did? I am not a big fan of Ubisoft open-world games, as they can be collectathons that lack some real substance in their gameplay. Immortals: Fenyx Rising wasn't even on my radar because I thought it would be more of the same. Wow, was I wrong. After hearing great reviews on ResetEra, I had to pick it up. This game enthralled me like no other game this year - I was playing more than a healthy amount per day. The Breath of the Wild-esque gameplay was so good and corrected a lot of mistakes that Zelda made. This game just works, and I truly hope Ubisoft produce a sequel to Immortals: Fenyx Rising.

6. Astro's Playroom

'Short and sweet' is the perfect way to describe Astro's Playroom. It was delivered in the smartest way possible: pre-loaded on your PS5. To understand the Dual Sense controller through a fantastic game was such a treat. The game is fun, but feeling the Haptic Feedback and Adaptive Triggers was amazing and this game demonstrated both perfectly. Mario, watch out because Astro Bot is coming for you and the Best Platforming franchise.

7. Ori and the Will of the Wisps

No game is quite as emotional as Ori is for me. It has a way of using the music, story and graphics in such a symbiotic and cohesive way that it pulls on your heartstrings. The art is beautiful, the music is moving, and the gameplay is enjoyable. As someone who rarely plays PC games, this one was the one that justified purchasing a new PC. Ori and the Will of the Wisps has really captured a style that is quite absent in the Metroidvania genre, and that is tranquility and melancholy. I am watching and waiting for Moon Studios next game with excitement and intrigue.

8. Sackboy: A Big Adventure

I played the entirety of Sackboy: A Big Adventure solo and it was still worth it, and I will probably play the entire game again co-op once the pandemic is less concerning. It really is that fun. While the controls take a while to get used to (feeling very different to Mario and Donkey Kong), the levels are meticulously crafted to be funny, entertaining and unique. The music levels in particular are a blast to play, but I really can't name a single level I didn't enjoy.

9.Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales

Insomniac is one of my favourite developers. I love everything they put out. While I am a bigger fan of the Ratchet series, I couldn't resist jumping in yet again as Spider-Man (albeit, a different Spider-Man). It is the perfect price and length for a Spider-Man game in my mind. The combat was improved and boss fights were great. But to be honest, the game would be great solely for being able to swing around the city!

10. Resident Evil 3 Remake

While this game holds a lot of faults, and I mean a lot, it has some great moments. As someone who never played the original Resident Evil 3, I enjoyed my time with it. I wish it was longer and more fleshed out, but it was still an enjoyable experience and looks great.

Honourable Mention: Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

2. [PS5] [Action RPG] [BluePoint Games] Demon's Souls
  3. [PS4] [RPG] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy 7 Remake
  4. [PS4] [Shooter] [id Software] Doom Eternal
  5. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Ubisoft] Immortals Fenyx Rising
  6. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sony Interactive Entertainment] Astro's Playroom
  8. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sumo Digital] Sackboy: A Big Adventure
  9. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  10. [PS4] [Survival Horror] [Capcom] Resident Evil 3 Remake

Last edited:

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
1. The Last of Us Part II
I've literally only played one 2020 game in 2020 but man, what a game it was. It's become one of my absolute favourite games of all time and was one, if not the most intense gaming experience of my life. Damn. Hats off.

Oct 25, 2017
New York
1. HALF-LIFE: ALYX - PC
Holy shit, dude! There's a new mother-fucking Half-Life game. I had all but given up hope. I was lucky to have a launch VIVE on hand, but did shell out for the new controllers. Holy fucking shit, dude! Trying to describe a VR game is more than I am capable of, but I was at times: laughing, scared, confused, overwhelmed, pumped up, etc. This game did almost everything I could have wanted from it. I just want more!

2. THE LAST OF US PART 2 - PS4
There were times when I didn't want to play the Last of Us Part 2 any longer. I would need to take some time away to let whatever gruesome atrocity, just happened, sink in. I always made my way back to find out what the hell was gonna happen next. Every frame of this game is dripping in technical and artistic skill. Hopefully we can get a ps5 update. I'm almost ready to play through again.

3. ORI AND THE WILL OF THE WISPS - PC
It is absolutely incredible how easily Wisps blows Blind Forest out of the water. Ori and the Blind Forest is an incredible game! What sorcery could make a fantastic looking series even better. The fighting is fixed. The pace at which you receive upgrades and in particular the skills you gain for platforming are best in class.

4. GHOST OF TSUSHIMA - PS4
I got everything on the map... Every. Thing.

5. MARVEL'S SPIDER-MAN: MILES MORALES - PS5
I've always been a Spider-Man mark. I've always loved Insomniac's games. Spider-Man (2018) was maybe my favorite game that year. And Miles is a better controlling and more interesting character. Game falters by being a bit too short for my liking, but everything that is in this is A+.

6. DOOM ETERNAL - PC
It took awhile for this DOOM to land with me. I don't know what I wanted from a sequel to the 2016 game, but it wasn't the more arcade-y, outlandishness I was presented with to begin with. Fortunately, I stuck with it because the developers were 100% correct to go in a different direction. DOOM (2016) is still there. Replay it. Its still great! Doom Eternal is wild. The game is so fast and fluid at times when your able to put all the mechanics together.

7. HADES - SWITCH
Hades is such a fantastic mash up. Its a Supergiant Games joint. A rogue-like. Narrative focused. Has amazing art and VO. The unlock system is so good. Play this if you haven't.

8. ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW HORIZONS - SWITCH
Never played an Animal Crossing game before this one. Not sure if I love it or hate it, but I put over 300 hours into, so it definitely got its hooks into me. Maybe it was where we were with the pandemic, but I found comfort in the daily repetition. There is so much they could do to make the experience better for players. It's quite frustrating in that regard.

9. TONY HAWK'S PRO SKATER 1 + 2 - ALL
I've been a huge fan of this series since the beginning. PS1. N64. Real gnarly shit. Hearing this was getting made, and how, was music to my ears. I'm pretty dumb with money, so I bought copies for ps, xb & pc. And I'm gonna buy the Switch version, too!!! Don't judge me! Hopefully 3 & 4 manage to get the same treatment sooner rather than later.

10. BLACK MESA - PC
Several years ago idea had to decide between waiting for Black Mesa's eventual release or playing OG Half-Life 1. Happy to say I made the right decision back then and played and beat HL1 properly. With that said, I remained excited to finally get a crack at the final version of Black Mesa and am happy to say that in my opinion the game did not disappoint. The Zen levels are beautiful and it just feels good to play "new" Half-Life.

A few honorable mentions: Astro's Playroom (ps5), Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (ns), PGA Tour 21 (pc), Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore (ns), Kentucky Route Zero (pc), Super Mega Baseball 3 (pc)

And some more that I am playing, but haven't gotten enough of an impression to be included in this list: Yakuza: Like A Dragon (xsx), 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (ps4), Demon's Souls (ps5), Immortal's: Fenix Rising (xsx)

1. [PC] [Action Adventure] [Valve] Half-Life: Alyx
  3. [PC] [Metroidvania] [Moon Studios] Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  4. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Sucker Punch Productions] Ghost of Tsushima
  5. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  6. [PC] [Shooter] [id Software] Doom Eternal
  7. [Switch] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  8. [Switch] [Simulation] [Nintendo] Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  9. [PC] [Sports] [Vicarious Visions] Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2
  10. [PC] [Shooter] [Crowbar Collective] Black Mesa

Last edited:

bal

Dec 22, 2018
Barcelona
That was a very good year for gaming...

1. [PC] [Shooter] [Valve] Half-Life: Alyx
  2. [PC] [Action RPG] [CD Projekt] Cyberpunk 2077
  3. [PS4] [RPG] [Nihon Falcom] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV
  4. [PS4] [MMO] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy 14 Shadowbringers
  5. [Switch] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  6. [Switch] [Simulation] [Nintendo] Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  8. [PC] [Space combat] [Motive Studios] Star Wars: Squadrons
  9. [PS4] [Adventure] [Vanillaware] 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
  10. [PS4] [RPG] [Atlus] Persona 5 Royal

Last edited:

Dreenk

Oct 27, 2017
Against all odds, good games came out last year. Here are my faves!

X. Monster Train - Simply a Slay the Spire ripoff at a glance, but it goes to some very different and interesting places. Very addicting.

IX. Helltaker - Mega-horny, kinky, silly romp through hell recruiting hot demon girls to your harem by solving solid puzzles and making simple yet funny dialogue choices. Delicious pancakes, and cute as hell.

VIII. Spiritfarer - I haven't gotten super far into this one, but it has such a cozy feel to it that puts me at ease. I've enjoyed it at a relaxing pace, admiring the beautiful art and sounds, and digging into the stories of my incorporeal companions. Well, you can still hug them, though...

VII. Hades - There are things that bother me about Hades seemingly more than most folks, such as how bullshit some of the enemies are later on or the entire environment of Asphodel. I also haven't beaten it once; it's fucking hard. But it feels, looks, and sounds amazing.

VI. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - I also haven't finished this one, I'm maybe a third of the way through, but I love everything about it. It's such a weird collection of mechanics and themes, which somehow all fit together as naturally as could be.

V. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 - THPS2 was one of my desert island games since I wore out the demo disc circa 2000, but this can finally take its place. I played 1 way less, but the sheer love and care that went into updating both games in smart and fun ways comes through in spades.

IV. Risk of Rain 2 - I liked RoR1 well enough, but RoR2 is an absolute blast. Either solo or with a group of friends on voice chat, it's fast, tense fun that makes learning the maps, items, combos, and characters reason enough to keep coming back.

III. Black Mesa - Early in 2020 I had the urge to replay Half Life 1 after some years. I'd had an eye on Black Mesa for a long time, but as it was in development for so long and didn't have Xen for most of that time, it had kind of fallen by the wayside. When I finally picked it up a few months back, I found that I couldn't put it down. It's HL1 by way of HL2, and it just feels so god damn good. I had forgotten how wild and expansive Xen was, and despite so much of the Black Mesa facility itself being same-y, it never got old. Just an incredible update to a helluva game.

II. Spelunky 2 - With hundreds of hours in the closest-to-perfection-as-possible Spelunky 1, I didn't know for sure that it needed to become a series. However, I knew that I'd play it nonetheless, if only to know. Turns out, it's still very much Spelunky, but with some twists and additions that make for some interesting changes to how you play. It feels just as immaculately tuned as the first, looks better, doesn't sound as good, but will also keep me coming back for years.

I. Final Fantasy VII Remake - Final Fantasy VII on the PS1 is unabashedly my favorite game, period, no reservations. After years of garbage spin-offs and expanding on its world in various disappointing capacities, I was beyond excited to see what they could do with a remake, but never truly believed that it would be good. There were just too many things to screw up, and it had been so long - there was just no way. Well the first part has proven that they know what they're doing, and that is something more interesting than I could have hoped for. But also, it's still FFVII. It's amazing, and I cannot wait to see what else they try.
  2. [PC] [Platformer] [Mossmouth] Spelunky 2
  3. [PC] [Shooter] [Crowbar Collective] Black Mesa
  4. [PC] [Roguelike] [Hopoo Games] Risk of Rain 2
  5. [PC] [Sports] [Vicarious Visions] Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2
  7. [PC] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  8. [PC] [Adventure] [Thunderlotus] Spiritfarer
  9. [PC] [Adventure] [Vanripper] Helltaker
  10. [PC] [Roguelike] [Shiny Shoe] Monster Train

Last edited:

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
First want to give an honorable mention shout out to AI: The Somnium Files which I played in 2020 but came out in 2019. That easily would've made top 3 if it released this year. I thought RE3 Remake was a fun time but not nowhere near good as RE2 Remake and not good enough to make my list larger than a top 5. Cyberpunk 2077 might have made it if it wasn't outrageously broken and didn't have such a massive amount of generic open world bloat. There's a fun linear action adventure hidden in there but unfortunately I just can't in good conscience rate it when I had so many issues with the game.

1. Streets of Rage 4 - This game was literally a dream come true for me. I adored the originals and even followed the fan remake for years during its development up until release and subsequent C&D. I never expected this series to ever appear again but here we are and I'm so happy it's back. Loved basically everything about it, got every single achievement and can't wait for the DLC as I will be playing that day 1.
2. Persona 5 Royal - Waited years to finally play P5 staying relatively spoiler free and it was well worth it. Just a fantastic game all around (gameplay, story, characters, music, art, etc.). I expected nothing less since I adored P4G but I loved this one to bits and was glad I held out to play Royal and didn't fold and play the original version. Definitely in my top 5 RPGs ever and maybe my favorite turn based RPG I've played.
3. Doom Eternal - Another fantastic single player FPS by id. I really enjoyed the way the game really encouraged playing with different weapons and loved how they branched out with some very unique environments compared to Doom 2016. Not everything landed (please never do swimming sections again) and I felt the bosses were kind of a downgrade from 2016 but overall still a fantastic game in its own right and at least on par with Doom 2016 in my eyes.
4. Paradise Killer - An interesting and unique adventure game that made first person open world traversal actually fun for once. It didn't quite stick the landing for me with the trial at the end, but still loved the journey overall. Definitely a top 5 OST of the year too but not enough people played this one or will play it to realize it.
5. Final Fantasy VII Remake - A really fantastic action RPG and a bold remake that goes in a different direction (which I appreciate). There was some super obvious padding though in a relatively short game (for an RPG) and that drags it down a bit for me. I really loved the combat though and can't wait to play the next installment in this re-imagining. Although I think I will have to wait quite a while since I don't see that releasing for a few more years.

1. [XBO] [Beat 'em up] [DotEmu] Streets of Rage 4
2. [PS4] [RPG] [Atlus] Persona 5 Royal
3. [XBO] [Shooter] [id Software] Doom Eternal
4. [Switch] [Adventure] [Kaizen Game Works] Paradise Killer

OvernightOats

Oct 30, 2017
  1. [Switch] [RPG] [Intelligent Systems] Paper Mario: The Origami King
  2. [PS4] [Adventure] [Thunderlotus] Spiritfarer
  3. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  4. [PS4] [Party] [Mediatonic] Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
  6. [Switch] [RPG] [Atlus] Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
  7. [PS4] [Survival Horror] [Capcom] Resident Evil 3 Remake
  8. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Naughty Dog] The Last of Us Part II

1. Paper Mario: The Origami King

Big fan of the original Paper Mario and have been waiting for a proper new entry for a while. Hated Sticker Star, like most, and didn't get much out of Colour Splash. Origami King is where they found a great balance between the original Paper Mario but still doing their own take on it. I loved how much of an adventure this game felt like, so many different locations all feeling unique.

2. Spiritfarer

Only managed to play this in 2021 but as soon as I started this game instantly clicked with me. The art style, music, characters, I was completely invested and lost in this game within the first hour. This game really has that addictive quality that I found it hard to put down even after I decided to stop playing. It's a little long in the tooth and could have done with one less spirit honestly but even when you've settled into a routine with the spirits, the game still find ways to surprise you throughout. A real testament to the types of experiences that smaller indie games can bring.

3. Spider-Man: Miles Morales

I enjoyed the first game but couldn't help but feel disappointed. As someone who's kept up with the Spider-man games, including beating the two Amazing Spider-Man film games, I was expecting better. The combat outstayed it's welcome, the roll out of collectibles in the open world was tedious and the forced stealth sections were boring. Miles Morales fixes all these problems resulting in a much better game overall. It doesn't do a massive amount different but it improves across the board and trims the fat, making for a much more enjoyable experience. It helps I have a soft spot for Spider-man games in general.

4. Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout

This is the type of game that's it's easy to get a lot of people online to jump in and have some fun. It's an idea that has been done before but they really got the balance right with this one. Not a game that I would say is amazing, but had to ignore all the time I spent having a great time with friends, especially with the state of the world. Makes for a great drinking game as well.

5. Final Fantasy VII Remake

I'm not a big Final Fantasy fan, I jump in and out of the series depending on the game but rarely find myself beating them. I found myself finishing this one (lockdown helped) and had a good time. The combat never really clicked with me, appreciate them trying something different and I don't dislike it but I would have preferred turn based. The thing that I enjoyed was the world and characters. There's a lot of great moments and the final moments of the game really sticked with me, despite never properly playing the original. It's a really interesting approach and has someone who isn't a diehard FF7 fan, feel like I'm the right distance away from the original to just find it cool. Overall it's a game that really nails what cinematic gaming should be about.

6. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore

Never played the original but after playing Persona 4 and 5, decided it give it a go. It does very much feel like a Persona-lite (I know that's incorrect but I've never played SMT) but it's got it's own personality and style. Combat works really well and those last few hours get pretty crazy, goes off the rails in a cool and unexpected way.

7. Resident Evil 3 Remake

I had my problems with RE2 Remake but it did such a great job with it's atmosphere and modernising the RE4 style of Resident Evil while still being a horror game, that I have a massive amount of respect for it. It was great jumping back into a game of that style with RE3 Remake, even if it's high aren't as high. It's solid overall and I'm always down for a few hours of RE4 style gameplay.

8. The Last of Us Part 2

I was on the fence about whether to include this as I think this is a very flawed game and was overall a big letdown especially due to how much potential is there, but I can't deny the things it does well and how great the gameplay is when everything comes together. Visually the game is stunning with great set pieces and the stealth has been refined and very much improves on the original. I won't go into the things I didn't like as that's not what this is about but I put 26 hours into the game and beat it in only a few days which is a credit to everything it exceeds at.

Last edited:

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't really played a lot of games this year. Just a couple

1. The last of us part 2 - I liked the story of the first one better but everything else was great in this like the combat, stealth, weapon options, performances, character animation etc... it dragged a bit and could have been shorter but nonetheless thoroughly enjoyed my time with it.
2. Final fantasy 7 remake - never played the original and am a fan of old school final fantasy with turn based combat but the combat in this clicked for me and the characters, presentation and story are also working for me so looking forward to playing the rest of the episodes whenever they release. The game has its flaws, lot of grinding and can be tiring from time to time as there are no good rest points and you want to keep playing.

2. [PS4] [RPG] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Status
Not open for further replies.