• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
www.hollywoodreporter.com

George R.R. Martin Signs Massive Five-Year Overall Deal With HBO (Exclusive)

The 'Game of Thrones' author strikes a long-term deal with HBO worth mid-eight figures.

George R.R. Martin is founding a new content kingdom at HBO.

The Game of Thrones author just signed a massive overall deal to develop more programming for the network and its streaming service, HBO Max.

Sources say Martin's contract spans five years and is worth mid-eight figures.

The news comes on the heels of a surge of Game of Thrones prequels being put into development. All told, the network has five projects based on Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire fantasy world in the development stage and one (House of the Dragon) that's been greenlit to series.

The four-time Emmy winner is also developing for HBO the series Who Fears Death (an adaptation of Nnedi Okorafor's award-winning 2011 postapocalyptic novel) and Roadmarks (an adaptation of Roger Zelazny's 1979 fantasy novel), both of which he will executive produce.

Martin first struck a deal to license his A Song of Ice and Fire novels to HBO in 2007, a journey that would lead to HBO's biggest and most award-winning series of all time. Martin is represented by WME, Christine Cuddy and Vince Gerardis.

I listed the supposedly planned shows below, by order of my own interest level, because I'm the OP and can do that:) And I mention also the diversity potential in the casts because let's face it; this matters for these shows to reach a broader audience which I think they should.

Dunk & Egg
Set around 90 years before AGoT.

Hopefully going from the very start all the way to "The Tragedy Summerhall". I think this story is all about how much Duncan sacrificed to live his "dream" of being a knight, sacrificing too much in the process out of loyalty to Egg/Aegon. It starts off with Egg and Duncan traveling around on adventures, but eventually Aegon becomes king so it starts to settle down into King's Landing politics.

It would feature Aemon (the old maester at the Wall for those who don't know the books, much younger of course), Bloodraven (The Three Eyed Raven in the show, before he became the Three Eyed Raven), possibly a young Old Nan (the old woman who tells Bran a scary story in AGoT), and Duncan is rumored as being an ancestor of Brienne, let's just say the big guy was quite popular with the ladies. Jenny of Oldstones would likely also be covered as it ties directly into the Tragedy of Summerhall (for those who only watched the show, she is the Jenny of Jenny's Song which Podrank sang at the end). It would also likely feature the Ghost of High Heart as part of Jenny's story, who wasn't in the show but is in the books. Oh and also a 16 years old Barristan Selmy (old knight that joined Daenerys).

This is definitely what could be the most AGoT-like show. In the published books, it's currently very much a two-characters-traveling-around story, but they are expected to go to Winterfell in "The She-Wolves of Winterfell", which is supposedly about a time when no male heirs exist for the Stark line and a few women are vying for heirdom but being set aside. Likely ties into the whole Bael the Bard story and all that. Later on, it would be heavily King's Landing-focused, with Aegon as king, familiar house names returning, etc. I think this show has the best potential of all with a bit of clever rewriting for the early bits.

One pitfall is that there isn't much potential diversity-wise other than on the gender front.

The 9 Sea Voyages
Corlys Valerion traveling around the world, set around 250 years before AGoT.

I have to imagine this would feel a bit like Black Flag. Would cover Corlys sailing to various locations around the world. Unclear what the story would be about exactly.

Could be fun. Could be costly to make, lots of different locations to film in but they could stick to fewer per season if they spread out the voyages across many seasons. Supposedly headed by Bruno Heller of HBO's Rome. Since they have cast Steve Toussaint to play Corlys in House of Dragon, this show would have him as the lead character. Difficult to come up with an interesting premise for a wide audience if he is always on the move, as it would lead to too many characters and lack focus, but I don't care personally, I am really interested either way. I think The Mandalorian's serial-like approach would probably be a good fit in this context, where you do have one big overarching plot but made up of smaller self-contained stories, but again the popularity of a show like AGoT stood on recurring characters and locations, keeping things fairly simple.

Probably the show with the highest diversity potential, so the less favorable points would be offset somewhat by that, we could even have travels to Yi Ti (sort of Asia-like). Another potential pitfall is Orientalism, as Essos is plagued with it in the books (think the diner scene with the monkey brains in Temple of Doom), but nothing the writers can't course-correct, as George hasn't actually published this story, so they have a lot of leeway either way.

House of the Dragon
Presumably starting a few decades after Aegon's conquest of Westeros, so 250 years before AGoT, like the 9 Voyages, and would feature Corlys as a main character too.

Pretty much Dysnasty + Game of Thrones, or so I expect it to be; lots of family drama, lots of war. Full grown dragons involved. Could cover many decades if not all the way into Dunk & Egg. It would certainly make sense to do D&E after this show.

It would cover some Targaryen family drama and the Dance of Dragons, which was a war of succession. One potential issue I have with this story is that they'll throw under the rug the racist slant of the Targaryens (they are literally "Aryans" with the whole blood purity thing, sort of George's comment on Tolkien's Elves being secret-racists), but considering they have cast Steve Toussaint as Corlys Velaryon maybe they actually plan to bring that up instead of ignoring it, as that means we would have a black man married into the Targaryen line. I really don't like the idea of ignoring that aspect of the Targs when the whole notion of "Othering" is at the core of what will likely make people prefer Cersei over Daenerys and her "foreigners" no matter how evil Cersei is in the books: the real "others" to the average Westerosi is not the White Walkers (boogey men no one will ever see or even believe to exist), it's the scary dragon queen and her army of brown people who they see as barbarians and slaves because they have the wrong perspective, so having the Targs be racist would be an interesting highlight of how Daenerys was different.

Low diversity potential on the surface, but not if they actually go with what I said regarding Corlys, and they can add a lot more characters from Essos and Dorne as travelers/merchants/etc. even if they might be secondary, there's plenty of potential to bring diversity, it would just suck if they pretended Westerosis aren't racists because, bullshit, don't side-step the issue. We'll see!

Nymeria
This would be set way back before Aegon's conquest, around 700 years, so almost 1000 years before AGoT.

This would be about Nymeria's conquest of Dorne (in the show, that was the bit with Doran and the Sandsnakes). To make a brief a summary: she leads her people out of Essos and into Westeros on thousands of ships to escape doom, so they sail around from here to there and finally settle in Dorne which they conquer, leading to the establishment of House Martell, the one you saw in the show ruling Dorne. Something like that, basically read her wiki if you want more info https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Nymeria I would see it as maybe more sword & sandals in feel, akin to Rome.

Probably the second show with the most diversity potential after 9 Voyages. You have Dorne which is Mediterranean-North-African-like, you have potentially the Summer Islands which are from my understanding Caribbean-like, the Basilisk Isles are basically West Africa from what I understood.

Flea Bottom
The rundown part of King's Landing. No idea when it would be set or what it would be about. Probably Breaking Bad or Peaky Blinders meets AGoT.

Good diversity potential as King's Landing is the capital of Westeros, you can have people from anywhere really.

Some animated shows
No details yet. I could see them reviving the abandoned Blood Moon project that dealt with the Others (White Walkers)' origin, thousands of years ago. Anything goes with anime, no limits.

But what about the books???
So George by now has a team working for him to handle a lot of "stuff", and I believe he will travel much less than he has in the past. It may be that some existing projects of his are coming to an end (not the books) and his team has grown, he delegates more, and as a result of the pandemic he feels he can do more while staying home. I wouldn't panic.

Last edited:

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I guess that is a wrap for Song of Ice and Fire books

EDIT: And he deserves all the enjoyments and glory!

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
He should just release a zine that says '... and Arya poked Cersei in the throat. The end'. Would be a huge weight lifted from him, I'm sure.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not exactly excited. His work on stuff like Night Flyers was pretty tepid so him doing more TV work isn't exactly hype inducing.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Happy to see he's found stuff that revived the fire in his heart, just a shame that the main series is put on indefinite ice.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Hope they manage to find some success. A shame how much good will was lost because they ran out of books and DD just't didn't have the talent to portray a worthy conclusion without them.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Being a game of Thrones fan has got to suck. I hope yall get closer eventually.

Deleted member 90924

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2021
We already know what House of the Dragons is about. It covers the Dance of Dragons. There is no lack of characters given that. It is probably the best fit as a GoT follow up in terms of tone, conflicts, etc

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
All those shows sound interesting! Dunk & Egg is the one I am most interested in but seeing more of the old world will be interesting as well. It still impresses me how big of a franchise ASOIAF have become. Really happy for the creator!

The4thJeazy

May 14, 2020
I probably wouldn't even worry about watching these if I didn't get hbo Max for free. The end of GoT kinda dampened my love for the series and I don't even care anymore if he finishes the books. Will be interesting seeing the Dance of Dragons on screen at least

Special Puppy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 12, 2020
I know George doesn't care about finishing ASOIAF anymore but at least he could like hire a few ghost writers, give them an outline of his plans to where he'd take the story and let them finish it for him. He'd basically work as an editor, overseeing the project's completion while leaving the heavy lifting to the ghost writers. And he's experienced on that front considering his work on Wild Cards.

Last edited:

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
This is definitely what could be the most AGoT-like show. In the published books, it's currently very much a two-characters-traveling-around story, but they are expected to go to Winterfell in "The She-Wolves of Winterfell", which is supposedly about a time when no male heirs exist for the Stark line and a few women are vying for heirdom but being set aside

I don't think this is correct. Bael the Bard is a tale that outdates Dunk and Egg by several years. IIRC none of the male stark heirs have reached adulthood yet or the ones that are adults were passed over and the Stark women either through birth or marriage are vying to put their son the lord

OP
OP
Ether_Snake

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think this is correct. Bael the Bard is a tale that outdates Dunk and Egg by several years. IIRC none of the male stark heirs have reached adulthood yet or the ones that are adults were passed over and the Stark women either through birth or marriage are vying to put their son the lord

Not quite. It is certain that the Bael the Bard story, as it is currently told, is wrong time-line wise. It refers to a LORD Stark rather than KING Stark, and the King's Road, which only existed since like 150 years. The free folk distorted the story over time and set it back thousands of years. Also there are weird unlikelihoods in the story, such as a supposed "Brandon the Daughterless" yet clearly he has a daughter as it is the subject of the story, and it says he ordered his "crows" (Night Watch) to look for her for a year, which would mean they all broke their vows. Basically, the story is bullshit, the real story is unknown, but signs point to the true history having been hidden/covered up, especially if it means all current Starks descend from the bastard of a wildling.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
That's amazing. Looking forward to all shows!

Hopefully I'll get to read the books meantime, but anyways badass GRRM.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Do people even want all these prequels?

I'm curious to see how the first is received. My gut is that it will do just fine. But, maybe the final season of GoT soured people. We'll see.

I hope they don't just try to do GoT 2.0. I want something more focused on a smaller cast of characters and not built around a ton of mysterious shit that never gets explained.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I know George doesn't care about finishing ASOIAF anymore but at least he could like hire a few ghost writers, give them a draft of his plans to where he'd take the story and let them finish it for him. He'd basically work as an editor, overseeing the project's completion while leaving the heavy lifting to the ghost writers. And he's experienced on that front considering his work on Wild Cards.

Didn't he say somewhere that he didn't want to give A Song of Ice and Fire to another writer?

I could've sworn I heard that somewhere.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather have things set AFTER GoT but I guess he would have to finish it first for that

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man, this is fucking bullshit.

Finish the goddamn series. How much interest is there going to be in all of these side stories after the train wreck that was GoT?

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Honestly the series I am most looking forward to is the animation. Just go for some wild shit without having to worry about a budget.

I'll watch whatever they put out, of course, and I am glad George is getting paid.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
they are literally "Aryans" with the whole blood purity thing, sort of George's comment on Tolkien's Elves being secret-racists), but considering they have cast Steve Toussaint as Corlys Velaryon maybe they actually plan to bring that up instead of ignoring it, as that means we would have a black man married into the Targaryen line.

This is odd, the Velaryons are said to have typical Valyrian features, purple eyes, silver hair the lot. I'm going to spoiler this for those who haven't read the princess and the queen (Dance of the Dragons)

Corlys' son Laenor is described as a typical Velaryon, he's married to Rhaenrya and the fact that their kids don't have any valyrian features is a big aspect of the war because that shows they aren't his kids. But that goes out of the window if Corlys doesn't have Valyrian features

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry to say but the Game of Thrones cultural phenomenon is over. It's like making hobbit movies after LOTR. It will not stick. Best thing that grrm can do is finish the books on a high note and leave that as the GoT legacy, not the dumb S8 or any other works.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
I thought there were some plans to do a Bran the Builder show? Or am I just misremembering?

I also thought that there was some plans to do King Robert's Rebellion, which would be fucking amazing, especially if it started with young Robert and Ned at the Eyrie, showing how truly mad the Mad King was.

(though, I guess it would be hard for fans to watch that and be like, well why is Jamie on 17 here? Or why is Ned just a boy?)

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
He created an amazing world so I'm happy to see it continue/be fleshed out even more, I just hope the main story is somehow able to be closed at some point.

He really needs to just find a suitable writer that he is comfortable letting finish ASOIAF, plenty of great authors are fans of his and would relish the opportunity.

I was hoping we would get something set in the future though.

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It's clear he's tired of the being just a writer. Obviously.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
Good for him.

Really looking forward to the Dunk & Egg stuff as that's the best GRRM has ever written. Don't really care much about the rest.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
Great for him, but man I'm just not interested to revisit that world anymore. Maybe I'll change my mind when I see a trailer for one of these shows.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather have things set AFTER GoT but I guess he would have to finish it first for that

We can just assume Drogon took Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen, First of Her Name, the Unburnt, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains, and Mother of Dragons to a Lord of Light priest, was resurrected, burned the traitorous Starks alive, and rebuilt the Seven Kingdoms.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
There's a lot riding on that House of the Dragons show being great out of the gate after the way the series flamed out