• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Harley Quinn costume is the best, or your personal favorite?

• Harlequin Classic (red/black leotard)

Votes: 281 64.3%
  • Arkham Goth Loli (Leather bustier and skirt)

Votes: 39 8.9%
  • Arkahm Evolved (Leather bustier with leather pants or hotpants)

Votes: 16 3.7%
  • Injustice

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Suicide Squad Harlequin (bustier, shoulderpads, hotpants with fishnets or thigh-highs)

Votes: 41 9.4%
  • Snyderverse Daddy's Little Monster (retro t-shirt, red/blue hair tips, fishnets)

Votes: 35 8.0%
  • Other

Votes: 19 4.3%

• Total voters

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Harley Quinn's first appearance was not in a comic book, but in an episode of Batman: The Animated Series that aired on September 11, 1992 (NEVER FORGET). To my knowledge she's probably the only major Marvel/DC character that started in a cartoon and went on to worldwide fame and their own regular ongoing series (RIP Morph, gone before his time).

At the same time, I can't recall a comic book character, hero or villain, that has gotten as many radical and variant redesigns as Harley. Usually characters get costume changes or visual overhaul when they are old, outdated, or long-in-the-tooth, but in her short three decades it seems like Harley has been reworked at least two-dozen times. Mega-heroes like Batman and Spider-Man and Wolverine have been around much longer, but rarely are their costume changes as frequent or pronounced.

I am struggling to come up with a mere seven choices for the poll because there are so many variants of her look. I've basically just narrowed it down to some of the major changes and evolutions, and hopefully I'm not excluding any major favorites. I don't even know the names of half these outfits so I've almost assuredly gotten something wrong.....feel free to correct or scold me if necessary.

For reference, here's a very brief video that DC Comics YouTube did, covering 25 years of Harley costumes......but even that one doesn't touch all the variations from the Arkham videogames:

tmg-facebook_social.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
BTAS design by a mile. I can tolerate the Blonde,Red & Blue design due to the tv show but its really awful. Just washes out her face/head area.
harleyivy.0.png

harley-quinn.jpg

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with most incarnations as long as the color scheme is black and red. I do not like the blue accents at all.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
First time I saw the character was in BTAS, so that's the most memorable version of the character to me.

That costume really looks goofy as hell in live action though, so I can see why they changed it. I do like the Margot Robbie version too, that was one of the few things Suicide Squad did well IMO.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
My favorite DC character! Always was, always will be <3

My favorite designs are OG and SS, and my least favorite are the Arkham designs.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, Harley has had soooo many bad outfits.

Besides her classic outfit I pick either the one from Birds of Prey or from the Telltale game:

latest

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
the original blows all the others out of the water. her name is literally harlequin and all subsequent designs have just... made her not look like one lol

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda crazy how the Arkham games pioneered the double ponytail punk look and how that's the design that's constantly iterated on.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My Harley rankings

Suicide Squad (film)
Arkham Knight
Rebirth
Birds of Prey (film)
New 52
Arkham Asylum
Injustice
Arkham City
Harlequin Classic

Love all of them except the original, which I'm not a fan of.

My next tattoo is Harley and I named myself after her sooooooo yeah! Big fan, she's the best. Happy almost 29th!

Maximum Spider

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I'll never understand how the clown/harlequin theme somehow evolved into a punk rocker motif. The Arkham games really did a number on her design-wise.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
No Birds of Prey? The fashion was spectacular in this movie. It's the best Harley has ever looked, and it's also the best Harley Quinn (the Harley Quinn Animated Series was also very good).

And it was MUCH better than what they made her wear in the Suicide Squad movie... This thing was so bad.

margot-robbie-harley-quinn-birds-of-prey-costumes.jpg

harley-quinn-shopping-outfit.jpg

harley-quinn-blue-blazer-costume.jpg

Harley-Quinn-Birds-Of-Prey-costume.jpg

Last edited:

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
No Birds of Prey? The fashion was spectacular in this movie. It's the best Harley has ever looked, and it's also the best Harley Quinn period (the Harley Quinn Animated Series was also very good).

And it was MUCH better than what they made her wear in the Suicide Squad movie... This thing was so bad.

Was coming here to say this. Birds of Prey Harley is the only Harley to me now. Every depiction of the character from now on should take its visual cues from this movie.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
No Birds of Prey? The fashion was spectacular in this movie. It's the best Harley has ever looked, and it's also the best Harley Quinn period (the Harley Quinn Animated Series was also very good).

Cathy Yan and team really knew what to do with HQ. I raise an egg sandwich to the best rendition.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Her original is the best.

Though the recent TV series gave her the new look a purpose that made sense, and according to her growth as character.

The most recent solo comic book isn't bad either.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I think that I only like her classic look when Bruce Timm draws her. There are too many iterations where she looks more like a boring henchwoman.

As much as I didn't like the Suicide Squad look at first, I think the fact that the pink and blue has been adopted into part of her design across media shows that it did something right. I do think she needs more color in her design than just red and black, especially when she is depicted as super pale with platinum hair.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Original definitely. She's had soooo many bad ones and it's just infuriating that they've been so adamant to not return to what actually works.

But at least it seems like DC have been making slot of improvements recently. Even The upcoming Suicide Squad and Birds of Prey have some absolutely fantastic designs.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I like her outfit from her show the most, with the classic just a step behind.

OP
OP
Border

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I've always found funny is that while every Harley redesign attempts to make her more sexy, the original classic costume has often ultimately been the most sexy or titillating. The skintight bodysuit of the Classic Harlequin outfit often meant that artists could detail every curve and cranny of her body as if her costume is just bodypaint. Her breasts are painstakingly curved and her nipples are often detailed right down to a fine point. While this isn't always the case, every image in the OP pretty much shows how her most "modest" costume was still used to present her body in an immaculately fetishized fashion.

Later iterations of Harley costumes attempted to showcase her cleavage or reveal more of her bare skin, but almost all of them never managed to be as flagrantly lewd as the Classic costume. Looking over a Google Image search it looks like a few iterations of the character had her in little more than black/red lingerie, but the designs that really caught on never went as far.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Gunn's and Injustice 2 get close to what I think would be the best look. Which is the modern design with the old color scheme.

Oh? Also? Her Death Metal look is the only version I like without the pigtails.

Death-Metal-Guidebook-metal-queen-of-the-desert.jpg

Dark-Nights-Death-Metal-2-Artgerm-1.jpg

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
To me it's between Birds of Prey and classic cartoon Harley.

On a related sad note this week the brazilian dub voice artist for Harley Quinn passed away.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, I think all of them are lacking a little something. Like if you could somehow get the best of everything it'd be real special. As it is they range from w/e to decent.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Original Harley will always be the best, to see her slowly evolve into a tame knockoff Tank Girl has been such a bummer.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a very controversial pick but

LEGO Batman Movie Harley is easily the best design by a country mile.

apijabiyk__05420.1486590510.jpg
It merges all the designs that came before into the BTAS color scheme and actually fixes the issue where her head isnt as prominent with red and blue pigtails. Like translate it to non-LEGO and it becomes clear how well designed it is.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f464e2d6c7373757a7151396a56413d3d2d3431323334353036302e313462663132323930323931313237373737393434343732333139362e706e67