ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
https://deadline.com/2021/08/hunger...ction-start-in-first-half-of-2022-1234810116/

Lionsgate's Hunger Games prequel film based on Susan Collins' novel The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes is aiming to start production in the first half of 2022.

That update came from Lionsgate motion picture group chairman Joe Drake during the company's quarterly earnings call with Wall Street analysts. The tentpole film is for release in either late fiscal 2023 or early 2024, he said. It's "moving along really, really well" in pre-production, he said.

Last year, Lionsgate said Hunger Games series filmmaker Francis Lawrence would return to direct Ballad, which is based on Suzanne Collins' Scholastic novel. Lawrence directed the last three Hunger Games movies: Catching Fire, Mockingjay Part 1, and Mockingjay Part 2. Casting has not yet been announced.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I mean, that's going to be around 8 or 9 years after Mockingjay Part 2 came out. Wasn't popularity and interest already fading, at that point? Did this new prequel book reignite the fanbase or is this movie just destined to fail?

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Praying they see my ingenious idea for casting and have Katherine Hahn as Doctor Gaul.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh. Didn't realize she made prequel novels. I know Liongate was wanting to do more movies taking in the past though. How are the novels? I really loved the original trilogy novels.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
fading popularity and no Jenifer Lawrence to flagship this... It will be a hard sell unless they get the new super popular girl on the block

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The book was really not great, and has some themes that could be very badly handled when condensed to a movie

Dermee

Dec 16, 2017
I figured they would make the book into two movies to make more money as there is a very clear way to do so as they did with Mockingjay. I see nothing in the article detailing it being two. That's weird for Hollywood.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, that's going to be around 8 or 9 years after Mockingjay Part 2 came out. Wasn't popularity and interest already fading, at that point? Did this new prequel book reignite the fanbase or is this movie just destined to fail?

i don't imagine many people are pining to return to that world. but i understand i'm not "people" so who knows

IMO hunger games was a very zeitgeisty early mid 2010s kind of thing

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
The novel was meh. Snow's POV adds nothing cause he's a heartless bastard throughout the book which....we already knew so what was the point? To see a young dictator have teen angst?

Last edited:

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I figured they would make the book into two movies to make more money as there is a very clear way to do so as they did with Mockingjay. I see nothing in the article detailing it being two. That's weird for Hollywood.
My guess is they want to do one movie at first to test the waters and see if people are actually decently excited for new Hunger Games movies, since it's been a long while and the series was already starting to decline by the time the original series of films was released.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
I really don't see the point in a prequel especially with the same character but younger, he isn't interesting and neither are the games or the struggle that we know the conclusion of and generally how it goes in each sector.

I preferred the books to the films as there was a bit more to the character interactions and my imagination made more of it than the films did.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
i don't imagine many people are pining to return to that world. but i understand i'm not "people" so who knows

IMO hunger games was a very zeitgeisty early mid 2010s kind of thing
That was kind of how I remembered it. I recall Hunger Games and Catching Fire being huge at the box office but Mockingjay parts fizzled out. Also, those movies came out when it was trendy to adapt YA novels to the big screen. That's not really a popular thing to do as much anymore.