• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
know that when i say "chicken tenders" I don't mean literally or in a mocking way

sometimes you look at a menu and you just wanna fallback and rely on a favorite that you know the restaurant can nail and you don't have to worry about

you just want sommit cheap and filling, sommit dependable when you ain't feeling fancy

burger? ehh. steak? nah. fish? not in the mood.

you've been looking at the menu for like 15 mins now and just can't choose, you've got no cravings

then the waitress makes her rounds for the second time

"you ready to place your order?"
"chicken tender basket with honey mustard, please"

i feel the exact same way with arroz con pollo. it's a go-to, simple, filling, easy to fall back on when you don't know what you really want.

it fills a hole, it's cheap, it's delicious, and you don't gotta think hard about it

last week i was eating tongue tacos with all the accoutrements, today im eating a big pile of rice, cheese and chicken

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Why isn't it pollo con arroz? Isn't chicken usually considered the star of the dish? Why does rice get top billing?

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
You know what, I just realized you're a real person who writes these posts
ZISB1qE.png

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
I don't feel like I'm qualified to answer this question, but to me tacos fill that role more

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
When I was a kid it was flautas, as an adult? I dunno maybe like enchiladas verdes.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
No, that would be enchiladas. They're pretty hard to mess up. If a restaurant can't nail enchiladas that's pretty fucked up.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
From what I understand it's not a very Mexican dish, more for Southern American/Island latino countries. lived in Puerto Rico most of the my life, and no, Arroz con Pollo is not even that common of an item on menus. It's a common food made at home, but you don't typically get it when you eat out.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
Burrito bowl is the answer, that's what my ex used to get since shes a vegetarian.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
What does "sommit" mean tho

sommit=something
It's just typing it out how they'd say it, like typing gonna instead of going to.
I'm trying to imagine an accent that would cause this complete change in every part of the word. I'm guessing it's more of an online thing since it's obviously nothing to do with actual pronunciation.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
From what I understand it's not a very Mexican dish, more for Southern American/Island latino countries. lived in Puerto Rico most of the my life, and no, Arroz con Pollo is not even that common of an item on menus. It's a common food made at home, but you don't typically get it when you eat out.
I have never seen the words "arroz con pollo" on a menu. Must be a a thing Americans think we do or something.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Why would you think that? arroz con pollo is a super common home cooked latin american meal, but I agree it's not really a restaurant staple when eating out.
That's what I mean. It's not something you find in a restaurant, it's more of a home thing.
At most you'd find some kind of chicken dish accompanied with rice as a side thing, but never spelled as "arroz con pollo".
At least in Mexico, I don't know about the rest of Latin America.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
The answer is yes.

I almost never get it, but ACP is a chicken basket-level safe option that will always be good.

Last edited:

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
What happens when your Mexican restaurant has chicken tenders too (it's a part of the kid's menu at my local place but you can off menu order an adult sized order)?

But yes, arroz con pollo is a favorite fallback order for me.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
That's what I mean. It's not something you find in a restaurant, it's more of a home thing.
At most you'd find some kind of chicken dish accompanied with rice as a side thing, but never spelled as "arroz con pollo".
Yeah for Puerto Rico it's always been arroz con pollo, for what it's worth.

Bisha Monkey

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
The go to dish when you have no idea what to get are chilaquiles. They go well with everything, can be eaten at any time of the day and they are one of the cheapest options to leave you fully satiated.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Almost every popular Mexican chicken dish is better than arroz con pollo and commonly available at any decent place

Pollo a la crema, pollo ranchero, pollo a la diabla, pollo en mole, even pollo asado. All better. La crema and la diabla are my faves

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
know that when i say "chicken tenders" I don't mean literally or in a mocking way

sometimes you look at a menu and you just wanna fallback and rely on a favorite that you know the restaurant can nail and you don't have to worry about

you just want sommit cheap and filling, sommit dependable when you ain't feeling fancy

burger? ehh. steak? nah. fish? not in the mood.

you've been looking at the menu for like 15 mins now and just can't choose, you've got no cravings

then the waitress makes her rounds for the second time

"you ready to place your order?"
"chicken tender basket with honey mustard, please"

i feel the exact same way with arroz con pollo. it's a go-to, simple, filling, easy to fall back on when you don't know what you really want.

it fills a hole, it's cheap, it's delicious, and you don't gotta think hard about it

last week i was eating tongue tacos with all the accoutrements, today im eating a big pile of rice, cheese and chicken

It can be arroz con pollo or pollo con papas fritas (chicken with french fries)

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why isn't it pollo con arroz? Isn't chicken usually considered the star of the dish? Why does rice get top billing?
Puerto Rican here, it's because rice is the star of the dish.

Arroz con pollo's exact construction varies between culture and location (as is expected from a dish primarily cooked at home) but fundamentally it is a rice dish flavored by and accompanied by chicken and other aromatics. The chicken is playing second fiddle.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I know a ton of people who default to ACP, if not exclusively choose it if it's on the menu.

If I'm at a Mexican/Tex-Mex place and I'm having trouble picking something, I usually fall back on a few enchiladas and a shrimp quesadilla. But there's always something interesting to try!

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
"Arroz con pollo" is definitely its own dish in Puerto Rico. It even shows up as a distinct recipe in Carmen Aboy Valldej́uli's Cocina Criolla, which is fairly authoritative.

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've always eaten arroz con pollo as a home cokked meal. I have never ever eaten it out or seen someone do it here in Puerto Rico

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Try Dominican or Puerto Rican or Cuban. Arroz con Pollo is more carribean to me than Mexican. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Can we talk about how good Latin white rice is? I don't know how they do it. My parents stopped cooking traditional Colombian food a long time ago, and their rice sucks in comparison. My Cuban-American partner makes some good rice but it's still not the same.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
It's more than that IMO - arroz con pollo can be absolutely delicious snd wonderful and comforting. Tenders are more of a comfortable snack- both great but arroz con pollo I think is a staple dish, unsure about chicken tenders.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
I live in a heavily Latino/a neighborhood and I absolutely cannot remember the last time I remember eating Arroz con Pollo in a Mexican place; I barely remember seeing it on the menu.

My Chicken Tender Basket for Mexican is an Al Pastor taco or a Torta. But that's just me.

Can we talk about how good Latin white rice is? I don't know how they do it. My parents stopped cooking traditional Colombian food a long time ago, and their rice sucks in comparison. My Cuban-American partner makes some good rice but it's still not the same.

Don't love non-East Asian white rice, I have to say.

YELLOW/SAFFRON rice on the other hand...I go out of my way to get them at Latino/Persian places

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Man I have to say yellow rice and beans or Persian/Turkish rice is wonderful. Our South Asian version of arroz con pollo ie, chicken curry and white rice is a staple dish, that's literally expected when I eat at my parents specially in a Muslim household, spicy chicken and potatoes curry with jasmine or basmati white rice and it's just food of the gods. Curry with cardamom, cloves, garlic and ginger paste…so good.