• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
We just had Celeste release about a month ago, which is one of the best precision platform games of all time. Hollow knight is releasing on the system most likely this year, which is going be big. The indie games are enough to keep me engaged.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
There's Kirby Rainbow Curse, Sqeak Squad, Canvas Coruse type stuff too. Then smaller stuff that we've seen.

I;m not confident on Pokemon being 2018. However, the way insiders are talking, Enhanced Smash is looking almost certain, so we may as well add it to all our speculative lists now imo.
in terms of third party support, there's also assumingly NBA and FIFA. Emily and others seem really confident about South Park, which is a port.

the big question is CoD.

When it comes to thirs party support on Nintendo, always keep your expectations at zero. Expect nothing. I know we have a lot of rumors about third party ports, but they are all rumors. For every rumor that came true, we have three others turned out to be false. Todays Burnout announcement and Soul Calibur 6 are among them. No matter how well the Nintendo platform sells, third party's opinion remains negative. I mean, all of them (save for Square and Atlus) abandoned 3DS with no reason, it was selling just ok. Even EA stopped releasing FIFA for it and it costed EA absolute nothing.

Right now we have 6 mid and high budget 3rd party games slated for rest of this year (excluding NISA as they seem to be determined to support Switch no matter what):

Wolfenstein 2
Steep
Megaman 11
Pillars of Eternity 2
Octopath Traveler
My Hero Academia

Let's say this is is the all we'll get from third party devs and get genuinely surprised when someone actually announces something.

ARC-2R

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
What his personal GOAT are does not need to cater what your GOAT are. I think it shouldn't be necessary to say this. You don't need to respect his opinion but you can accept it. This aint GameFAQs.

Of course I accept it, I didn't say he couldn't have it, I just disagreed. Knack 2 could be his goat, and I'd accept that it is for him, and then laugh.

And sure those 2 games could be greatest of all time contenders if by all time you mean "in 2017 media hype*.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to thirs party support on Nintendo, always keep your expectations at zero. Expect nothing. I know we have a lot of rumors about third party ports, but they are all rumors. For every rumor that came true, we have three others turned out to be false. Todays Burnout announcement and Soul Calibur 6 are among them. No matter how well the Nintendo platform sells, third party's opinion remains negative. I mean, all of them (save for Square and Atlus) abandoned 3DS with no reason, it was selling just ok. Even EA stopped releasing FIFA for it and it costed EA absolute nothing.

Right now we have 6 mid and high budget 3rd party games slated for rest of this year (excluding NISA as they seem to be determined to support Switch no matter what):

Wolfenstein 2
Steep
Megaman 11
Pillars of Eternity 2
Octopath Traveler
My Hero Academia

Let's say this is is the all we'll get from third party devs and get genuinely surprised when someone actually announces something.

Except that Capcom, Level-5, Bandai Namco, Sega and other third parties continued to release.

You're right, some series don't need reinvention, namely Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing. They're unique games, only one in their respective genre. Small improvements are all they need.

But same can't be said for Kirby. In an age where 2D platforming are best thing that indie devs can do and even be better at it than big studios, Nintendo don't need multiple 2D platforming franchises. They have 4 including NSMB series, that number is unnecessarily high. All they do is bury indie gems when they're around. Nintendo need to allow indie 2D platformers to take the main stage, titles like Owlboy, Steamworld Dig or Axiom Verge and be silent about the genre. Instead, they need to have their 2D stars to make transition to 3D worked. Surprise sales of Crash collection say that people still want and love 3D platformers but they're rarely made. Indie devs don't have the power to create full fledged 3D platformers, so it should be Nintendo's mission.

You said "people love options" but this year alone Nintendo is bringing 3 huge 2D platformers and god knows when the next 3D platformer will be on Switch.

Kirby isn't an 2D platformer in first place, you can fly all the time. It's much more a brawler in a 2D context than a platformer

Also, Kirby goes to people other than other 2D ones, not the same at all just like DKC and Mario 2D aren't.

Nintendo is releasing similar Kirby and Yoshi games too often. Last year we had standalone Kirby and Yoshi games on 3DS, both were 2D platformers. This year Nintendo have 3 big 2D platformers slated to release in first half of the year. Isn't it too much? Do people really love 2D platformers more than anything?

They should stop playing it safe and allow both series to evolve. I think it's about time for us to see both characters in full 3D platformers. I remember Nintendo rejecting Argonaut's Croc to be the first full 3D Yoshi game with the reason being "is not time for it yet" and we're still waiting for it. Same goes with Kirby. Who needs another 2D Kirby beat em up that can be done within a day? Kirby needs to enter 3D world completely. A Kirby games that's played like a Banjo game is one of my biggest gaming dreams. An 3D platformer with everything, gigantic bosses, side missions, hundreds of collectibles...

You're out of the loop. We only got a spin-off from Kirby last year which was Kirby Battle Royale, not a platformer. It wasn't even an mainline game, unlike Kirby Star Allies.

You're inflating the "new content" up by a lot. HW is just two costumes, and Donkey Kong is a single new character which is essentially easy mode. I've seen GOTY editions that you looked down upon with more additions than that. Games that are relatively easy to push out by updating them graphically and adding one or two costumes is the epitome of coasting in the game industry.

I also said the idea of ports isn't my issue, it's the frequency. Last year we got four games between the two ports, but this year we get a port every other month and only Mario Tennis as a big name title outside of that. And don't forget that HW was on 3DS, and Bayo 1 was on PS3/360 so it's not like all of these games are exclusive to Wii U to begin with.

And again, sales are irrelevant for this discussion. Nintendo has released games that utterly flopped before (several last year on 3DS) but it's silly to just ignore them or to act as if they aren't newly developed games when they are. That's a very arbitrary qualification that undercuts their releases for no good reason.

We're in a world where Kirby isn't a big title. I can't wait to march to see the sales of the game to point out this.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

Wolfenstein 2
Steep
Megaman 11
Pillars of Eternity 2
Octopath Traveler
My Hero Academia

you forgot VC4. Does Steep exist lol? Then for Japan Snack world and probably stuff I'm forgetting.

My 3rd party expectations are lower than most people actually.
I don't know anything about south park, that's why I phrased it as others seeming confident about it.

I said FIFA and NBA without mentioning Madden or w/e. FIFA and NBA getting another entry isn't something ambitious. I know stuff like WII U got FIFA 13 and not any after. At least we have some data for FIFA switch that shows it's not 360 and PS3 level in most regions. Knowing the US sales would be nice. But I think there's enough to assume it will get another entry.

I never even believed in Burnout, SC6 or whatever marucs sellars said.
Again, my expectations are low compared to everyone else.

Alcibiades

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
This is basically the PlayStation Vita all over again.

There's a tiny amount of first-party support that's slowly fading, and now it's becoming another system riddled with multi-platform games that everyone's already played.

You can't seriously believe the Switch's first year is even remotely comparable to the Playstation Vita. Switch is miles ahead with far better games. Future support also looks far superior to anything the Vita ever got (Fire Emblem, mainline Pokémon games, Shin Megami Tensei V, Project Octopath Traveller, Dragon Quest XI, Metroid Prime 4, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Travis Strikes Back: No More Heroes, Bayonetta 3, Dragon Quest Builders 2, Wolfenstein II, Hollow Knight, Dark Souls: Remastered, Pillars of Eternity 2, The World Ends With You: Final Remix, Kirby: Star Allies, Mega Man 11, etc.)

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why everyone is writing this year off already.
There's a new Fire Emblem and Project Octopath (yeah it's 3rd party, but it's exclusive) in the Pipeline for 2018, if we can trust the rumors a new Pokemon will arrive this year.

Also E3 hasn't happened yet.

So please, chill.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Still kind of amazed that this thread is going on. You're about 90% more likely to succeed arguing this against something like the Wii U, which had poor support through its entire life. I wouldn't even begin to level that kind of criticism at the Switch, let alone after the support it has gotten over the last year. Madness.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
surprised everyone is repsonding to the vita thing.

there's actual discussion to be had in some topics.
that isn't one of them...

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
You're out of the loop. We only got a spin-off from Kirby last year which was Kirby Battle Royale, not a platformer. It wasn't even an mainline game, unlike Kirby Star Allies.

Canvas Curse, Rainbow Curse, Mass Attack, Epic Yarn, they all might not be straight 2D platformers in traditional sense but they certainly are 2D platforming games. I said Kirby needs a huge revolution, not just another "plays differently" 2D game. We need Breath of the Wild of Kirby series, full 3D open world platformer. We need a Kirby game whose meta is above 90 point mark. We need a Kirby game whose playtime is above 15 hour mark. We need a Kirby game where you can't evade all action by just floating. We need a Kirby game where we can use those powers to do a lot more than hurting enemies and opening doors. I think we're ready for it. I mean I've been ready for it since N64 times, I was so disappointed when Mario and Zelda got their revolutionary games and Kirby didn't.

3D platformers today are such rarity. We have to wait for 7 years to get another full 3D platformer game from Nintendo after Galaxy 2. 3D Land & World were amazing games but they're just fusions of the genres.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Nintendo isn't the only one supporting this system with software, so the lack of brand new games from them in the first half of 2018 is not a deal breaker.

Multiplatform titles are doing well enough to justify third-party investment, and companies are announcing new games for Switch constantly. This year will turn out a lot better than many expect. Even this first half can have some holes filled.

It's dry for some Switch owners, but those who haven't jumped in will have a lot on their plate.

fauxcalin

Dec 20, 2017
I'm not "conceding" anything, I'm correcting your misinformation. I'm also not saying that a hypothetical Smash 4 DX would sell better, I haven't said anything like that at all.

Smash 4 sold huge numbers on Wii U, and that was with the 3DS release coming out first. You looking at the Wii U install base and saying that Smash should have sold even more is beyond my understanding.

Also, there's no guarantee that Smash 4 DX would do even relatively as well as Mario Kart 8 DX, coming in almost 2 years into the Switch lifespan instead of close at launch like MK8 did. The time for a Smash port with some light upgrades has passed already.

First you said this: Also Mario kart 8 DX is still behind the Wii U release. It should get there eventually but it hasn't happened yet.
-so point conceded whether you think so or not you said it will at some point outsell the original (it will sorry brute fact right there)

Second: install base is incredibly important when gauging how good a game sells. Literally that's marketing 101, the larger your audience the larger your market. The 12 millions figure and the 5 mill Sm4sh relational figure represent a game underselling. And mind you this convo is now strictly about Wii U SKU, so here's some numbers. Gamecube sold 22 million and melee (as of March 2014) sold 7.41,further the Wii sold 101.63 mil and Brawl sold 13.25 mil. You still wanna make the claim that these numbers aren't related? Sm4sh undersold because the Wii U undersold and that is the underlying point that you consistently are missing. The "huge numbers" you keep going on about aren't huge the worst game in the series sold almost three times that SKU, why because the system it's on under sold and was a flop. The Switch is not a flop it's gonna very successful, more people have who own a Switch have not played Sm4sh, that and the future success of Mario Kart 8 DX, makes the assumption that Sm4sh would
outsell the original very feasible, hell if we are being honest MK8 OG already outsold Sm4sh, a port could easily do the same

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Canvas Curse, Rainbow Curse, Mass Attack, Epic Yarn, they all might not be straight 2D platformers in traditional sense but they certainly are 2D platforming games. I said Kirby needs a huge revolution, not just another "plays differently" 2D game. We need Breath of the Wild of Kirby series, full 3D open world platformer. We need a Kirby game whose meta is above 90 point mark. We need a Kirby game whose playtime is above 15 hour mark. We need a Kirby game where you can't evade all action by just floating. We need a Kirby game where we can use those powers to do a lot more than hurting enemies and opening doors. I think we're ready for it. I mean I've been ready for it since N64 times, I was so disappointed when Mario and Zelda got their revolutionary games and Kirby didn't.

3D platformers today are such rarity. We have to wait for 7 years to get another full 3D platformer game from Nintendo after Galaxy 2. 3D Land & World were amazing games but they're just fusions of the genres.

if budget and time don't exist sure.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I think when we look back at the year when it has played out 2018 will end up being a good year for support (with 2019 being another huge year). I just wish Nintendo wouldn't leave us all in the dark.

Yet again we're going through a typical post launch drought on a Nintendo console and it's made worse by the fact that they're so secretive about everything. I might have a bit more excitement about my switch if I had some idea about what was coming later this year.

I think it's the combo of the 2 that makes people so negative on Nintendos SW outlook.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean sony's been on cruise control since PS4 launched

burn

Sony doesn't have to worry about major aaa multiplatform games or releases on PS4 it's had a consistent 2018 with big releases since January. At launch PS4 was in the same predicament as the Switch. Sony was making sure indie padded out the line up. Then it kind of took a back seat as the games started to come out.

Starkiller

Jan 30, 2018
Unfortunately, I don't have enough information to speculate whether Smash Bros will be branded/marketed as a "deluxe definitive edition port", a "half-sequel" or a "full sequel".

I can only confirm two things:

A Smash Bros title will be announced and released for Switch later this year.
2. They added brand new content and re-worked some of the existing Wii U/3DS content.

Thing is, if Nintendo does port Smash 4 to the Switch, how iwll they bring the Masterpieces over? I don't think they'd have a Game Boy/SNES emulator released by September.

suaveric

Nov 9, 2017
I agree. It's hard to top last year of course but things are not looking good for the rest of 2018. When they didn't show Fire Emblem or the Yoshi platformer in the January Direct it raised a lot of red flags for me. If they're holding those off to be big hitters for the second half of the year I have to imagine that they don't have much else that will excite me. I don't expect Metroid this year, so that leaves Animal Crossing, Retro's game and a maybe a port of Smash as the only other reasonable options for the second half of the year. Not too exciting.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We're in a world where Kirby isn't a big title. I can't wait to march to see the sales of the game to point out this.
What world do you live in? Kirby is my favorite Nintendo franchise next to Fire Emblem, but even I can see it was never the biggest seller. The 3DS games consistently sell over 1 million, but you appear to act as if they always sell gangbusters when that's far from the case. I can see Star Allies selling more due to the Swicth's draw and it being the only non-port first party title from December of last year to May of this year. But even still, generally Kirby has never been a big seller, his games are generally very similar aside from a single new gimmick, and they clearly aren't of AAA budget, so yes, they definitely aren't worthy of being called big releases.

Sony doesn't have to worry about major aaa multiplatform games or releases on PS4 it's had a consistent 2018 with big releases since January. At launch PS4 was in the same predicament as the Switch. Sony was making sure indie padded out the line up. Then it kind of took a back seat as the games started to come out.
Yeah, this is a big point too. Sony doesn't have to worry about gaps as much due to guaranteed third party support. Nintendo fans have to rely on late ports and indie games to get their full. Far better than droughts of prior consoles, but clearly not the best situation.

And I'd definitely argue that Sony isn't really on cruise. 2018 for them is pretty packed, with nearly one first party title per month rivaling Nintendo's 2017. Plus they have exclusives like Yakuza and Final Fantasy to further support their line up. Granted, it did take them four years to get here versus Nintendo pulling it off year one, but they still deserve credit for an awesome year if they pull it all off.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What world do you live in? Kirby is my favorite Nintendo franchise next to Fire Emblem, but even I can see it was never the biggest seller. The 3DS games consistently sell over 1 million, but you appear to act as if they always sell gangbusters when that's far from the case. I can see Star Allies selling more due to the Swicth's draw and it being the only non-port first party title from December of last year to May of this year. But even still, generally Kirby has never been a big seller, his games are generally very similar aside from a single new gimmick, and they clearly aren't of AAA budget, so yes, they definitely aren't worthy of being called big releases.

Yeah, this is a big point too. Sony doesn't have to worry about gaps as much due to guaranteed third party support. Nintendo fans have to rely on late ports and indie games to get their full. Far better than droughts of prior consoles, but clearly not the best situation.

And I'd definitely argue that Sony isn't really on cruise. 2018 for them is pretty packed, with nearly one first party title per month rivaling Nintendo's 2017. Plus they have exclusives like Yakuza and Final Fantasy to further support their line up. Granted, it did take them four years to get here versus Nintendo pulling it off year one, but they still deserve credit for an awesome year if they pull it all off.

I'm talking about Kirby being a big game, which it is, not that it is a big seller (even if it sells more than most than some of other franchises and is a regular seller)

And yes, for Nintendo, Kirby is a big game, either in console or handheld. There's a reason for why there's only Kirby in march for first party titles.

I said that mainline Kirby games aren't traditional platformers because they're more brawlers than anything, not about the spin-offs that you cited.

And no, we don't "need" any of this, at all. What you're suggesting would just destroy what is a Kirby experience, which is unique in this industry.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm talking about Kirby being a big game, which it is, not that it is a big seller (even if it sells more than most than some of other franchises and is a regular seller)

And yes, for Nintendo, Kirby is a big game, either in console or handheld. There's a reason for why there's only Kirby in march for first party titles.
Uh, I literally just explained just a few of the reasons why it isn't big. You can't just say "nah you're wrong" as if that's a compelling counter argument.

And Nintendo very clearly is not treating this like the next Splatoon/BotW/Mario Odyssey, so please don't even try to argue something so silly. Kirby is treated like a B Tier series at best. Yearly releases that follow the same basic formula and eshop games. There's not even any argument for it being a "big" title in the same vein as the other games Nintendo clearly treats as "big titles."

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, I literally just explained just a few of the reasons why it isn't big. You can't just say "nah you're wrong" as if that's a compelling counter argument.

And Nintendo very clearly is not treating this like the next Splatoon/BotW/Mario Odyssey, so please don't even try to argue something so silly. Kirby is treated like a B Tier series at best. Yearly releases that follow the same basic formula and eshop games. There's not even any argument for it being a "big" title in the same vein as the other games Nintendo clearly treats as "big titles."

I'm not saying anything silly. You can be big and still behind those titles. I never said that Kirby is bigger than Mario, Zelda, AC, Splatoon or those titles that sell more than the franchise. I'm talking that a Kirby game being launched is big just like a Metroid, Fire Emblem or diverse other franchises are when they're released, even if they're not big/huge sellers.

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Can't believe Nintendo is leaving LITERALLY HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS of profit on the table.

They must hate money!!

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying anything silly. You can be big and still behind those titles. I never said that Kirby is bigger than Mario, Zelda, AC, Splatoon or those titles that sell more than the franchise. I'm talking that a Kirby game being launched is big just like a Metroid, Fire Emblem or diverse other franchises are when they're released, even if they're not big/huge sellers.
If it doesn't sell big, and isn't given the marketing or "big" push, if it isn't AAA or even AA, if it's pretty formulaic with little deviation, if it's a series generally relegated to small handheld games or digital only releases, probably has a smaller budget, etc, it isn't big. I keep listing all of these points and metrics for why it isn't big and all you continue to say in response is "nah." So yes, that's incredibly silly as a counterargument. You can like a series a lot, or see hype from it in its fanbase, but that alone doesn't make it a "big" release when almost everything else says otherwise.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Nintendo has some stuff lined up for the first half of 2018. Its the second half thats really unclear. I guess thats true for most publishers. No one's really committing to strict dates early on which is a rising trend, as well as quicker announcement to release windows.

I imagine Nintendo wants to get all their announced stuff out this year but will delay if they have to:
Fire Emblem
Metroid Prime 4
Pokemon
Bayonetta 3

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kirby is one of Nintendo's top mid-tier IP and is a consistent million seller. It's a more successful series than Fire Emblem, Metroid, Xenoblade, Pikmin, and Bayonetta, all of which I would consider mid-tier franchises for the company at this point.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it doesn't sell big, and isn't given the marketing or "big" push, if it isn't AAA or even AA, if it's pretty formulaic with little deviation, if it's a series generally relegated to small handheld games or digital only releases, probably has a smaller budget, etc, it isn't big. I keep listing all of these points and metrics for why it isn't big and all you continue to say in response is "nah." So yes, that's incredibly silly as a counterargument. You can like a series a lot, or see hype from it in its fanbase, but that alone doesn't make it a "big" release when almost everything else says otherwise.

I'll not convince you otherwise so let's give it up here. And no, I'm not talking about my tastes with Kirby when most of the Nintendo franchises are among my favorites, I'm talking how I see those titles in the market and how Nintendo see them.

With that said, then I hope that you don't count Metroid, Pikmin and Fire Emblem as big because those sell worse or in the same way as the last two Kirby games.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'll not convince you otherwise so let's give it up here. And no, I'm not talking about my tastes with Kirby when most of the Nintendo franchises are among my favorites, I'm talking how I see those titles in the market and how Nintendo see them.
You can convince me if you actually had a compelling argument, but as I've said twice now, your sole retort has been "nah man" whilst ignoring every piece of evidence I bring up. Seems more like you view it as a big title while ignoring the actual facts surrounding it. You saying it is doesn't negate the truths or metrics surrounding the series that clearly deviate from a blatantly "big" title.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I think this whole thread wouldn't even be a discussion if they had expanded their January Direct to include one or two more games like Fire Emblem and Yoshi. People are uneasy because they can't see past June and the first half is hit or miss depending on your tastes because it doesn't have anything "surefire".

Take this half a year as a quick reload for Nintendo (with more content than they typically have during their dry spells thanks to indies and high-quality ports) and hold onto your collective butts for the future.

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know I did not just see Switch being compared to the Vita.

Geez its like some people expect a new game every week.

And I have no doubt third parties will come in better in the next half of the year.

This ain't the Wii-u anymore.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Kirby is one of Nintendo's top mid-tier IP and is a consistent million seller. It's a more successful series than Fire Emblem, Metroid, Xenoblade, Pikmin, and Bayonetta, all of which I would consider mid-tier franchises for the company at this point.

exactly.

And why would you give a AAA push to a franchise that doesn't need it? To waste money and appease random people on the internet?
Something like Metroid 3DS or Prime may need a huge E3 push to achieve just respectable sales. While something like Kirby Battle Royale can release in Japan to no fanfare at all, and is just legging its way along.

In a way Kirby is one of Nintendo's "smartest" franchises. It is able to spend just enough dev money and marketing money to consistently turn out profits. (I assume, otherwise they'd stop making them)

...because this is a business after all.

Giving Kirby a AAA buget, and AAA Marking, and having it come out every 4-5 years is throwing money into a fire.

Last edited:

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
First you said this: Also Mario kart 8 DX is still behind the Wii U release. It should get there eventually but it hasn't happened yet.
-so point conceded whether you think so or not you said it will at some point outsell the original (it will sorry brute fact right there)

You said it was there already. It isn't. Stop trying to make up "facts".

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Sales data gives me empirical facts that the trend of MK8DX sales won't slow down so...

We can both agree that MK8 will probably sell more on Switch than on Wii U over time. But that isn't a fact, it's an estimation. It also hasn't happened yet so claiming it directly is misinformation. You need to qualify statements like these.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I think when we look back at the year when it has played out 2018 will end up being a good year for support (with 2019 being another huge year). I just wish Nintendo wouldn't leave us all in the dark.

Yet again we're going through a typical post launch drought on a Nintendo console and it's made worse by the fact that they're so secretive about everything. I might have a bit more excitement about my switch if I had some idea about what was coming later this year.

I think it's the combo of the 2 that makes people so negative on Nintendos SW outlook.
The only way to say that with a straight face is if you are one of the "I bought my Switch only for Nintendo developed exclusives" crowd, and even then, you would have had to also had a WiiU AND bought all games on it. Personally, I have never bought so many games for a console in my life, including now during this "drought". My backlog is huge, the only reason I keep buying is because I know that, contrary to past consoles, I am playing and actually managing to complete all the games I am buying.

And by the way, I also had a WiiU. I know what real droughts look like.

fauxcalin

Dec 20, 2017
We can both agree that MK8 will probably sell more on Switch than on Wii U over time. But that isn't a fact, it's an estimation. It also hasn't happened yet so claiming it directly is misinformation. You need to qualify statements like these.
Sounds good I'll get back to ya when MK8DX overtakes og ;)

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Thing is, if Nintendo does port Smash 4 to the Switch, how iwll they bring the Masterpieces over? I don't think they'd have a Game Boy/SNES emulator released by September.

I imagine the game demos themselves will remain, it's just that they won't link to the eShop anymore, like how it was in Brawl.

EDIT: or perhaps they could just nix the whole feature altogether because really, who actually cares

Last edited:

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
The only way to say that with a straight face is if you are one of the "I bought my Switch only for Nintendo developed exclusives" crowd, and even then, you would have had to also had a WiiU AND bought all games on it. Personally, I have never bought so many games for a console in my life, including now during this "drought". My backlog is huge, the only reason I keep buying is because I know that, contrary to past consoles, I am playing and actually managing to complete all the games I am buying.

And by the way, I also had a WiiU. I know what real droughts look like.

You can't even say "Nintendo exclusives" considering Xenoblade came out 2 months ago. If Monster Hunter World/Dragonball Fighter Z didn't release in January, there wouldn't be nothing new on PS4/Xbox One either. This is not a software drought, considering games are still releasing on Switch. Dragon Quest Builders, Celeste, Fe, Super Meat Boy, Bayonetta, Furi and many others released this year. If someone says there is a drought right now, they are a picky gamer. Even if I counted out all the rereleases, Celeste and Fe are new games.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
The only way to say that with a straight face is if you are one of the "I bought my Switch only for Nintendo developed exclusives" crowd, and even then, you would have had to also had a WiiU AND bought all games on it.

Not only that, but you would have to totally disregard Kirby, Labo, and Mario Tennis Aces. So the pro-drought argument would have to be "indies don't count, ports don't count, and Nintendo's first party titles don't count if they don't interest me personally." And if you define a drought that way, pretty much any system can be in the midst of a drought at any moment based on anyone's tastes and whims.

But, if you look at Nintendo's own promise to release approx. one title every month, including a mix of new games and Wii U ports, they're right on schedule:

January - no releases, probably to incentivize sales of their 2017 titles to all the new Christmas Switch owners
February - Bayonetta 1 & 2
March - Kirby Star Allies
April - Labo (and possibly Hyrule Warriors Deluxe or Mario Tennis Aces)
May - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
June - Mario Tennis Aces and/or Hyrule Warriors, if they haven't released yet

So for the first six months of the year, that's six games (and that's counting both Bayonetta and Labo once once each, even though both are actually two games), including three new titles and three ports. Mind you, that's only counting games Nintendo are publishing themselves, and it's also ignoring the possibility that there are games (Yoshi in particular) that haven't been dated yet that could still release before the end of June.

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo is never on cruise control. What is happening is they are coming off of arguably their greatest year ever in 2017, and we haven't had a full Direct yet to give us a picture of what they have planned this year.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I take a long time to beat games/play all of the content. For example, I just got to the Darker Side in Mario Odyssey this past weekend. I personally don't mind a few gaps in releases.