Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Ehhhh, I've never been a fan. Just in DW and Iron Fist, he's always come across as overly dramatic, scenery-chewing for the sake of it.

Could I do what he does? Nope, so props to him but I'm just not a fan.

Personally, I had thought a cool conceit would be that the Master somehow becomes a voice inside The Doctor's head for a couple of episodes/season. Similar to how the Joker was in Batman's during the Arkham games.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
Also lol at Chibnall saying that him and Jodie made a 3 series and out pact. When he said before that he had a 5 year plan for the show

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wait I thought this coming season was 8 episodes? so it's only 6 and they knocked back the rest to next year?
Yeah, it looks like Chibnall's much-vaunted "one big story" is a six-parter, with the other two announced episodes being specials spread over the next six months and the regeneration special coming out Autumn next year.
Also lol at Chibnall saying that him and Jodie made a 3 series and out pact. When he said before that he had a 5 year plan for the show
Well, his rate of production has been such that it's going to be nearly five years between series 11 starting filming and Whittaker leaving, if that counts...

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Wonder what they are going to do now, i wouldn't be suprised if BBC took a break considering how low the views were on Chibnall's seasons

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm with the majority here. Glad he's leaving, but sad she's also.

Here's hoping the next showrunner doesn't go back to the conservative idea that Doctor Who needs a white male lead to be successful.

Oct 25, 2017
So six episodes this year, three as a special set next year, then a new Doctor and new show runner in the 60th anniversary year?

After what Moffat said about doing the 50th, I fucking feel sorry for whoever inherits this mess right now. Stepping in and doing that as you're possible launching platform for a new variation of the show is going to be incredibly stressful.

Ideally, we'd get series 14 at the start of 2023, giving us some indication of how the new Doctor and show runner are, but given this is the BBC, who can't even give the show a full series let alone the same time slot each week, I really do wonder how this is going to work.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
They should do, kill this doctor and not bother announcing a new one for a few years, then have a good long think about what they want from the show.
They won't do that especially since its the 60th Anniversary. As much as i hate to say it..i could see BBC doing a reboot - like a complete reboot exploring the Doctor's Origins

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
They should do, kill this doctor and not bother announcing a new one for a few years, then have a good long think about what they want from the show.

Honestly, this at this point

Dont show a new actor in the regeneration scene, leave it on a semi cliffhanger and take a few years out

They screw up again like Chib's, it's taking 5-10 years + off air

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Ehhhh, I've never been a fan. Just in DW and Iron Fist, he's always come across as overly dramatic, scenery-chewing for the sake of it.

Could I do what he does? Nope, so props to him but I'm just not a fan.

Personally, I had thought a cool conceit would be that the Master somehow becomes a voice inside The Doctor's head for a couple of episodes/season. Similar to how the Joker was in Batman's during the Arkham games.

I very much enjoyed Sacha Dhawan in The Great, you may wanna check that out. Personally I thought he was a fine master constrained by bad material.

EDIT: Also, every post RTD season makes me appreciate the production team that era had together. The gaps between seasons, lower episode counts, etc make disappointing episodes/seasons sting even more.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully she can come back for the 60th and have decent showrunner write for her.

Is Toby Whitehouse doing another series of Noughts and Crosses, if not then ask him to run the show.

I have a sneaking suspicion Russel T Davis is going to write the 60th.

I hope something happens cause this is actually quite a perilous time for the show, with sagging ratings and the Tories breathing down the BBC's neck at every opportunity.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
They won't do that especially since its the 60th Anniversary. As much as i hate to say it..i could see BBC doing a reboot - like a complete reboot exploring the Doctor's Origins

Ah, perhaps they could do a multi past doctor special or something, but that would be weird without Jodie unless her death/regen caused it.
It still feels like a long break is the right thing to do, comeback with a show that people treat like a weekly mini event again.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if Chibnell leaving is due to the BBC bosses seeing the new season and not being happy with it. It's not a good for the next season really.

Oct 27, 2017
since the show's already on HBO Max in the US, they should split production costs with the BBC and get those production values up -- would be a cheapish way to get another sci-fi feather in their streaming cap without having to pay for another westworld

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
I very much enjoyed Sacha Dhawan in The Great, you may wanna check that out. Personally I thought he was a fine master constrained by bad material.

EDIT: Also, every post RTD season makes me appreciate the production team that era had together. The gaps between seasons, lower episode counts, etc make disappointing episodes/seasons sting even more.
Sure, I'm always happy and willing to change my preconceptions! I'll check it out if I can find it.

Personally, I was a big 11 fan; I liked the idea of the Doctor as a fairytale, with some of the most touching parts of the series striking chords with me (Rory waiting, Vincent, Handles etc.)

odiin

Oct 27, 2017
Who knew handing the show over to Chris Chibnall would turn out to be a bad idea?

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
Sad as it is, it really might be wise to go for a 'popular, straight, white, male' actor, for the next season at least.

Chibnall has screwed things so badly, that the next show runner is going to have to pull every cheap trick in the book to try and keep the ship afloat.
Probably needs a Tom Ellis or Daniel Radcliffe, to even give the next show runner a chance of saving the show.

Jodie really deserved better.

Show needs a hard reset now.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally the Chibbs is out. It was painful to see Doctor Who fall into irrelevance these past few years. The damage is done, they will need quite the comeback.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I liked Jodie and it'll be a shame to see her go, but oh man, thank god Chibnall is leaving.

We missed the fine print, where two of those years were for one-off specials lol

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Looking forward to the next show runner. Hopefully they bring the show back to how it was. Feel so bad for Jodie not having a good shot, but it is what it is

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what they are going to do now, i wouldn't be suprised if BBC took a break considering how low the views were on Chibnall's seasons
Eh. Whittaker's ratings in series 12 were roughly consistent with what Capaldi was getting by the end, and series 11 was an astonishing ratings success to begin with- there'll be recognition within the BBC that Doctor Who relaunches can bring big audiences, and Capaldi was successful enough to guarantee more, so I don't see it going anywhere.

Smart money's on a huge relaunch for the 60th, with eye-catching talent both in front of and behind the camera.

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
I didn't manage to finish the first Chibnall/Whittaker season, even though I loved Doctor Who back then.
A bit sad because Whittaker seemed like a cool doctor. But yeah, I won't cry about Chibnall.

mightynine

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried with the Chibnall era, I really have, but I've watched only a handful of episodes and it's just boring. I'll shed no tears for his departure.

I really wanted more for Jodie that what she's received.

Oct 25, 2017
i know next to nothing about doctor who other than the broad idea of the show from cultural osmosis and snippets from friends over the years — but it's so wild to see such a strong consensus here that the show runner was the major problem. i feel like this always used to manifest as "oh i really don't like this doctor".

has anyone written up exactly what it is that he's done with the show that isn't working?

just for my edification — i've never seen any of his episodes and don't have a horse in the race :)

Oct 25, 2017
There was a time when announcing the next Doctor was a huge event, papers and even TV shows, but now it just feels like whenever the next one is announced, it won't get the same dominant headlines as it used to. I know much of that will be due to how long it's now been on, but again, Chibnall running it into the ground hasn't helped at all.

Oct 25, 2017
i know next to nothing about doctor who other than the broad idea of the show from cultural osmosis and snippets from friends over the years — but it's so wild to see such a strong consensus here that the show runner was the major problem. i feel like this always used to manifest as "oh i really don't like this doctor".

has anyone written up exactly what it is that he's done with the show that isn't working?

just for my edification — i've never seen any of his episodes and don't have a horse in the race :)
The biggest fuck up he's done is to re-write the Doctors origin story, which has widely been accepted as an utterly fucking stupid thing to do.

He turned the Doctor from some normal Gallifreyan Time Lord on the run from a society he didn't like into some unknown alien that the Time Lords operated on upon learning the child Doctor could regenerate and basically has made out the Doctor gave them all their abilities as Time Lords.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It's Doctor Who that's embarrassed of being Doctor Who, to be frank. Everything silly, colourful, unique and exciting about the show was stripped away in a limp-wristed attempt to turn it into prestige television that frankly was never going to take.

It's not a complete bust- there were some good historical episodes, and some radically overdue steps towards inclusivity on the writing staff- but on the whole it's been feeble at best and terrible at worst.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When did this Chibnail cat take over? I really enjoyed the show up to Capaldi and was really stoked for him but just got bored early on and bounced.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Broadchurch was great, but yeah, Chibnall was absolutely not a good fit at all. Sad for Jodie though.

I also hope they didn't learn the wrong lesson and go full on conservative with the next showrunner and Doctor.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
No mention of a 14th Doctor or successor showrunner here, which I guess makes sense not to overshadow the announcement of the departure. But does anyone remember how soon we knew Moffat and Chibnall were taking over after RTD and Moffat announced their departures?

There's been a rumor going around that the regeneration will end on a cliffhanger because there currently is no plan for a Series 14, but I'm not sure how much stock should be put in that.

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
I'd kill to see her under another writer, so I'm a bit bummed that won't happen. Jodie is great, but Chibnall has been horrible for the show. So the news is a mixed bag for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent, Chibnall should not have gotten the showrunner spot. He basically took everything good about the series and drained it like a fun-pire.
A shame about losing Whittaker, I hope Big Finish gives her better material.

When did this Chibnail cat take over? I really enjoyed the show up to Capaldi and was really stoked for him but just got bored early on and bounced.

When Jodie Whittaker became the Doctor. That was the start of Chibnall's run.
And it's no surprise you got bored, Chibnall's run was defined by how utterly boring it was.

OP
OP
infiniteloop

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017
"
And the BBC has confirmed that the pair will be replaced in the coming months, assuaging any fan fears that the series could be "rested" or cancelled after Whittaker and Chibnall's departure.

"We will announce plans for the new generation of Doctor Who in due course – watch this space!" the BBC said."

Doctor Who's "new generation" will be announced "in due course" | Radio Times

The BBC are on the hunt for Jodie Whittaker and Chris Chibnall's replacements.

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
Glad Chibnall is leaving, he just hasn't done a good job.

Sad that Jodie Whitaker is leaving. She was given very little to work with. Chibnall wasted her talent.

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest fuck up he's done is to re-write the Doctors origin story, which has widely been accepted as an utterly fucking stupid thing to do.

He turned the Doctor from some normal Gallifreyan Time Lord on the run from a society he didn't like into some unknown alien that the Time Lords operated on upon learning the child Doctor could regenerate and basically has made out the Doctor gave them all their abilities as Time Lords.
I haven't watched Who in many years but good lord that is one of the stupidest things I've read in fiction in a long time. Someone should retcon that one day.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Getting Davies and Moffat back to co-ordinate the 60th activities at least seems sensible, surely?