• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
Okay I've literally only seen Wonder Woman (2017) out of the whole DCEU and plan to watch all them eventually (especially now that this cut is out)...but am a huge Batman fan...

...did Snyder really make his Batman a killer?

Like I got no prob dropping f-bombs and shit but isn't this the complete antithesis of the core Batman character?!

He. Does. Not. Kill.

Like that's the ONE thing you don't change; we have like 70 years of media explaining this...is no one else of the same mindset as me lol?

Synder fans don't care about this part. You think Synder knows the rules of these characters ?

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I actually liked this whole scene and this added bit as well, it was a huge improvement over the crapfest that was SS' Joker.

That being said I wouldn't mind if I never saw Leto's Joker again.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Speaking of this scene, does this version explain why Joker is there with them at all? Like, what was his purpose? He doesn't have powers so he couldn't be helpful in any way against Supes, Darkseid, or anyone else. Was he to be a sacrifice on the alter of Supes?

Forgive me if I assume that a director's cut that's four fucking hours is comprehensive, lmao.

At the very least it being the Joker scene makes sense since we know that was shot after-the-fact.
I'm sure there were several hours more cuts and takes that were also not used.

Oct 27, 2017
Batman has killed alot. In comics and movies since forever. Yes, he has a no kill code but he will cross it if necessary. He's killed the joker like 3 times, at least.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
Batman killed as much baddies in BvS than he does in every other media, so basically none. Until a character come on screen to say "Batman killed these bad guys holy shit" it's safe to assume everyone's alive, just badly wounded.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Did people make such a fuss about Keaton Batman killing people back when it released?

Dude was blowing people up with a smile on his face.
Different movie tones.

Tim Burton treats violence like in a old cartoon.

Snyder treats violence as the world's only higyene, sublimation of manlyhood, and the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged, and whatever 13 years old think.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Batman killed as much baddies in BvS than he does in every other media, so basically none. Until a character come on screen to say "Batman killed these bad guys holy shit" it's safe to assume everyone's alive, just badly wounded.
It's like in Freddy Got Fingered, where a kid goes into an airplane rotor, gets mauled, people are douzed in blood, but he says offscreen "I'm fine!".

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Okay I've literally only seen Wonder Woman (2017) out of the whole DCEU and plan to watch all them eventually (especially now that this cut is out)...but am a huge Batman fan...

Like I got no prob dropping f-bombs and shit but isn't this the complete antithesis of the core Batman character?!

He. Does. Not. Kill.

Like that's the ONE thing you don't change; we have like 70 years of media explaining this...is no one else of the same mindset as me lol?

As a non-DC fan and non-comic reader, I have seen the same Batman over, and over, and over again. It's okay to mix things up and do something a little different on occasion. Not everything has to follow nerd law to be good and entertaining.

Oct 26, 2017
As a non-DC fan and non-comic reader, I have seen the same Batman over, and over, and over again. It's okay to mix things up and do something a little different on occasion. Not everything has to follow nerd law to be good and entertaining.

This has nothing to do with mixing things up. This is about Batman'score character. The no kill rule makes for interesting moral dilemmas as seen in comics, movies and shows.
If you take that away, there's no point in a Batman.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
This isn't the "full scene". It's just different take of the scene. This is actually missing some stuff.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
The epilogue was by far the worst part of the movie, especially the fast forward. I'm baffled that ANYTHING was left on the cutting room floor. All of it should be a deleted scene.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
This has nothing to do with mixing things up. This is about Batman'score character. The no kill rule makes for interesting moral dilemmas as seen in comics, movies and shows.

But there is. Batman is more than a no kill rule lol and has killed people in the past. Just chill, relax, and just enjoy it. It's okay to do something different with a character that's been done to death already.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
But there is. Batman is more than a no kill rule lol and has killed people in the past. Just chill, relax, and just enjoy it. It's okay to do something different with a character that's been done to death already.
Batman has killed in most of his other movie appearances though, how is that a different take?

Doing the character right, now that's something that hasn't been done to death - let's give that a whirl.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Different movie tones.

Tim Burton treats violence like in a old cartoon.

Snyder treats violence as the world's only higyene, sublimation of manlyhood, and the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged, and whatever 13 years old think.

Exactly!

I would also add that in the context of late 80s and early 90s action movie heroes, Burton's Batman movies were not seen as too violent.

Batman has killed in most of his other movie appearances though, how is that a different take?

Doing the character right, now that's something that hasn't been done to death - let's give that a whirl.

Turning Batman into Punisher is plain boring anyway.

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. This is just one of 4, soon to be 5, different live-action takes on Batman.

The no-kill rule has it's own set of baggage and issues that are damning as, if not more, killing someone. Something that has been pointed out hundreds of time already among comic fans.

There are many thing that, together, form the concept of Batman as a character. Changing one or 2 things does not make him cease to be Batman.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

You can argue he has but it's never quite so well, part of his character, it's more shit happens in action scenes. Snyder makes it obvious he kills and is a killer, you can't really say that for the others, Batman Returns strong man aside but it's so tongue in cheek, can let it slide.

Oct 26, 2017

???

Doing something different is not the same as taking away a fundamental element of that character. Otherwise that's missing the point of the character from the get go.

I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. This is just one of 4, soon to be 5, different live-action takes on Batman.

The no-kill rule has it's own set of baggage and issues that are damning as, if not more, killing someone. Something that has been pointed out hundreds of time already among comic fans.

There are many thing that, together, form the concept of Batman as a character. Changing one or 2 things does not make him cease to be Batman.

Not sure what you mean by "damning" and baggage from the no-kill rule. If you're talking about the whole "why doesn't Batman kill Joker" comic takes, the entire point is in the diametrically-opposing relationship between the two. Not everything has to be tied to realism, especially with fictional works. Especially as Batman stories show that Joker is constantly trying to break Batman down, while Batman has no choice but to be incorruptible. If you have a Batman that kills, then this relationship is nonexistent and the answer to the story is a simple bullet to the Joker's head. That's not compelling, and makes Batman no different to characters like the Punisher.

If anything, that's infinitely more ridiculous from a storytelling standpoint than a no-kill rule. The fact that you minimize the no-kill rule which has been core to Batman's characters for decades as "changing one/two things" is quite sad.

By that logic, why not change the Wayne deaths origin into one where Bruce becomes Batman simply because the Waynes fell into their accidental deaths. Clearly you will disagree because the origin is fundamental to the character.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

He. Does. Not. Kill.

outside of Kilmer and Clooney, no movie Batman adheres to the no kill rule with Keaton's still taking top honor as the most blood thirsty Batman.

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine having to bring up an example of Batman killing in comics from 100 years ago. It's almost like characters evolve form their initial debut or something (or in Batman's case, the morality group saying that they do no want Batman portrayed as a criminal)

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine having to bring up an example of Batman killing in comics from 100 years ago. It's almost like characters evolve form their initial debut or something (or in Batman's case, the morality group saying that they do no want Batman portrayed as a criminal)
Again, you're gonna have to specify which movie Batman you want to use as an example. Keaton's Batman tossed bombs at people, lit one guy on fire til he died, and a whole host of other things.
Bale Batman droned people from above and killed countless.

Kilmer and Clooney were the only on screen Batman's to adhere.

the most popular movie batmen more or less kill.

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure Batsy has a kill count every decade. This whole 'Batman must never kill' thing is probably more Animated Saturday morning cartoon version.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Pretty sure Batsy has a kill count every decade. This whole 'Batman must never kill' thing is probably more Animated Saturday morning cartoon version.

Batman's "core" is very murdery. First appearance. Murder. First issue. Murder.
www.cbr.com

Every Comic Book Where Batman Kills (In Chronological Order)

Originally, the dark knight had no misgivings about offing his enemies – as evidenced by some of his early missions in Detective Comics.

Nah.

Immediately following Batman #1, DC Editor Whitney Ellsworth spoke to Bob Kane and Bill Finger. From now on, Batman would be against killing, a rule Superman's creators had already applied to their own creation. Ellsworth added, "Never let us have Batman carry a gun again."

Ellsworth wanted Batman to rise above his pulp vigilante roots and become a genuine superhero, someone who seemed at home in a world also inhabited by Superman and the rising number of similarly colorful champions. By this time, Finger and Kane had introduced young Dick Grayson as Batman's new apprentice, a cheerful, acrobatic detective who provided some tonal contrast. Ellsworth liked Robin, and he thought it bad form to paint Batman as a role model to the boy and young readers if he resorted to killing when convenient rather than using his great mind, incredible technology, and formidable training to find better solutions.

Less than a year after his debut, and only five months after he first started using a gun at all, Batman now had a rule against lethal force. The proto-Batman was fully crystalizing into the kind of character Finger felt Bruce Wayne was meant to be. In Batman #4, the Dark Knight openly acknowledges this rule to Robin. "Remember, we never kill with weapons of any kind!"

It's just been a rule for almost 80 years that started in the comics.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I think the main thing for me is he shouldn't just be indiscriminately murdering hired goons when he doesn't need to.

I don't mind him being pushed to the snapping point where he breaks his rule, if it's earned.