nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
pXPYfBk.jpg

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
I think EA is a bad deal, its success depends too much on FIFA/EA Sportts FC, the risk is that you spend 50 billion to buy them and then someone else buys, for example, exclusive rights for Premier League and Champions League

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
EA's value seems to be in Respawn and in BioWare's IPs? Battlefield has sunk like a rock. EA Sports and Star Wars are entirely dependent on outside licensing. What else do they have? Plants vs Zombies? Idk.

Do you mind linking to this history?
There were quite a few anti-competitive accusations levied at Windows back in the day. But that was quite a while ago.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Any billion dollar corporations who are fundamentally opposed to rushed game releases and microtransactions who are suddenly interested in acquiring a publisher with multiple studios under their ownership? Particularly a billion dollar corporation that is fundamentally opposed to rushed game releases and microtransactions who is suddenly interested in acquiring a publisher with multiple studios under their ownership that have a particular affinity for, say, Battlefield 2 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Titanfall and Mirror's Edge?

Anyone? Literally anyone? Please?

JCmasta

Banned
Aug 31, 2020
Hearing Comcast was trying to buy them was pretty shocking. If they truly want to sell, I can see Amazon, Google, or Meta throwing their hats in.

Amazon has made the most sense to make a huge splash, I think it's a matter of when they decide to pounce.

If it's a merger, IDK. If EA-NBCUniversal was a possibility, maybe EA-Paramount? Netflix seems desperate and have a noted interest in gaming. Netflix-EA would be chaotic.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think EA will end up being bought by a company like tencent or sell off some studios. They might drop some expensive licenses aswell.

I'm not sure if Sony could afford the whole company, but I highly doubt Microsoft would make any major bids for awhile either due to them wanting to close the activision/blizzard deal.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
I can see a Take-Two merge. They overlap a bit with the sport titles. Just don't touch R* which I believe was one of the reasons TT's board didn't accept a buyout pre-GTA IV.

Things are different now. No buyout, but a merger.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
For obvious reasons that many in here have already stated it'll never, ever happen, but MS would probably kill to have EA under their banner.

Imagine how much Game Pass would explode even more if FIFA (or whatever tf it's called now) and Madden launched directly to the service every year.

I am nearly salivating at the prospect of bioware and the Dead Space teams being allowed to just make whatever they want. But microsoft buying EA would probably edge into monopoly territory. If disney passed on EA (and I am like 30% convinced they will eventually try to buy sony) and apple never being serious about gaming, that would leave one of the other publishers. I could see take 2 goig along with it so they don't have to rely on GTA online microtransactions every year.

Kindof hoping embracer snas them u so they can officially become the 3rd party juggernaut they have quietly been building themselves into. Also they might actually make a new command and conquer game.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Barreling, extremely quickly, to our 4 megacorp future in this industry. I'm sure it'll be great for games.

/s

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
I am nearly salivating at the prospect of bioware and the Dead Space teams being allowed to just make whatever they want. But microsoft buying EA would probably edge into monopoly territory. If disney passed on EA (and I am like 30% convinced they will eventually try to buy sony) and apple never being serious about gaming, that would leave one of the other publishers. I could see take 2 goig along with it so they don't have to rely on GTA online microtransactions every year.

Kindof hoping embracer snas them u so they can officially become the 3rd party juggernaut they have quietly been building themselves into. Also they might actually make a new command and conquer game.

What? No. That's not how any of this works.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
I can't imagine Microsoft will be allowed to go 'big' until another corporate giant does first.

If Google/Meta/Apple buy EA - and this makes it through - then Microsoft may be in-line to go big with another acquisition later.
If EA merges with a Disney spin-off - than this, too, may allow Microsoft to open its war chest down the road.

But Microsoft can't be next. They can't spend $40Bil/$50Bil after having just spent $69Bil - and everyone else is left to sit around and watch.

Oct 25, 2017
Elon Musk abandons his pursuit of Twitter. Buys EA instead.

Turns Battlefield into a Republican's military wet dream and Need for Speed into a giant Tesla & Boring Company ad.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
As with the other topic, putting this here to help with some of the discussion about sizing and buyers:
www.resetera.com

Quantitative Perspectives on Acquisition Targets From An M&A Banker (5/4/2022)

Needless to say, acquisitions have been all the rage lately. Makes sense! They're pretty great! Lots to think about from a strategic point of view, possible new games, IP transfers, etc etc. But one thing I've noticed is the lack of quantitative analysis. Now, I don't blame folks, because...
(Sorry for the spam but seemed pertinent)