• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
I finally got to watching this and came away unimpressed. It felt like it was trying something new but was brought down by how dull it is. I get it. It's supposed to be some kind of deconstruction of the genre but it was still boring.

The only intense scene is probably when the son almost shoots his dad just to see if he's really unbreakable or not. Kid is nuts.

I have seen split thought before having watched this and am contemplating watching Glass.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Huh. I always thought the entire last bit of the movie with him actually realizing things was super well done. Super memorable to me.

Also has a great score.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It's great. Easily one of the best comic book
movies ever made. Pretty sure it inspired Nolan's Batman begins.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like you didn't care for the things others found interesting, which is fine. It's not a movie for everyone.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I'm convinced the score tricked me Into thinking it was a GREAT movie. It's effective. but I'd still give it a pretty good rating, a bit below sixth sense, above everything else he's done.

glass sucked.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like part of the problem is that you're LTTP. Unbreakable was new and fresh when it came out, but these days we've got gritty superhero deconstructions everywhere. Not to mention M. Knight's reputation as "the guy with the twist endings" wasn't established yet, so a lot of people who saw it early on got to be legitimately surprised.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like part of the problem is that you're LTTP. Unbreakable was new and fresh when it came out, but these days we've got gritty superhero deconstructions everywhere. Not to mention M. Knight's reputation as "the guy with the twist endings" wasn't established yet, so a lot of people who saw it early on got to be legitimately surprised.

Also at the time it wasn't billed as some superhero film, just a new M. Night film that everyone should see.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Also at the time it wasn't billed as some superhero film, just a new M. Night film that everyone should see.

Correct.When I saw it at the theater on first release I wasn't sure what the fuck to make of it? Over the years and especially with the rut of SH films in the last 15 years I've really grown to appreciate it.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
It's groundbreaking during an age where superhero or superpowered movies are rare, or at least most are just straight corny. Now it's just dull. Doesn't help that Shyamalan movies are mostly slow burn and real low energy.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I've yet to watch this film, but it always seems like the folks who like it the most aren't really fans of superhero comics and stuff.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
This will look like a masterpiece if you bother with Glass.

I unironically liked Unbreakable the least of the Unbreakable/Split/Glass trilogy. I think Split and Glass are pretty thematically interesting, Glass's problem is just that it feels extremely limited in scope and budget. Unbreakable wasn't bad but it was a pretty standard "deconstruction" and I wasn't really satisfied with how it ended.

Striker

Oct 25, 2017
I've yet to watch this film, but it always seems like the folks who like it the most aren't really fans of superhero comics and stuff.
It's weird for me. I find this to be an awesome movie, but at the same time enjoy most Batman movies out there and stay away from the Marvel/Avenger stuff.

My go to comic movie would be TMNT '90.

OP
OP
hwarang

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
Huh. I always thought the entire last bit of the movie with him actually realizing things was super well done. Super memorable to me.

Also has a great score.

I agree, the twist was pretty well done. I guess it's just one of those films you had to watch during the time it was released.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
I unironically liked Unbreakable the least of the Unbreakable/Split/Glass trilogy. I think Split and Glass are pretty thematically interesting, Glass's problem is just that it feels extremely limited in scope and budget. Unbreakable wasn't bad but it was a pretty standard "deconstruction" and I wasn't really satisfied with how it ended.

Unbreakable came out more than 20 years ago and before M. Night was even known for twists in his films.

Glass took the tease from the end of Split and wasted two movies worth of characters on a fairly bog standard New World Order conspiracy plot. It was unforgivably slow without any of the fascination Unbreakable sustained, and took the audience's good will toward these characters and the premise and practically spat upon it with anticlimax.

M. Night was given an opportunity to work popular and he declined. It's hard for me to separate the actual film of Glass from my disappointment at the gulf between it and what I had been hoping for. That's not fair to the film, but neither is your estimation of Unbreakable completely divorced from the sense of newness and surprise it rose, all those years ago, before the MCU, etc.

I'm actually glad someone enjoyed Glass. But a lot of people felt like I did, at the time of its release.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I finally got to watching this and came away unimpressed. It felt like it was trying something new but was brought down by how dull it is. I get it. It's supposed to be some kind of deconstruction of the genre but it was still boring.

The only intense scene is probably when the son almost shoots his dad just to see if he's really unbreakable or not. Kid is nuts.

I have seen split thought before having watched this and am contemplating watching Glass.

Unbreakable is a mood for me.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
The scene where he falls into the pool and almost drowns is terrifying. That whole third act where he embraces his power and has to save the family from the home invasion is amazing even if it's subdued. It's like what a superhero who existed in our world would have to do, since those are the conventional bad guys. And of course he has no idea how to do it and isn't able to save the whole family and almost dies in the process. It's a brilliant origin story.

ceej

Mar 9, 2021
Reno, Nv.
I still find it one of my favorite superhero movies in my memories. The Claustrophobia he felt with water really impacted me. I'm not sure it'd hold up nowadays, but at the time I deeply enjoyed it.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
it is a very slow movie where nothing really happens but the last 3 minutes are really fucking good imho. I mean did anything see it coming that
the bad guy was Sam Jackson all the time and that he was the exact opposite of Bruce Wilis?

the whole BS about how comic books are just watered down stories of real superheroes is also kinda meh.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Loved it but I also saw it roughly 20 years ago or whenever it came out. Sorry you didn't have a good time with it OP.

Also enjoy current comic movies and am happy this played a part in pushing the medium of super hero movies forward.

Not going to bother with the other two in this series. M Night has long since lost my interest.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
OP I just rewatched this movie with my 74-year-old mother tonight aftr a few beers, browsing through the Prime Video section. The most important thing to understand about the pace and tone of Unbreakable is that it is by no means a super-hero movie. It is essentially a drama about a sad aging man with a marriage failing and a deep sadness because he has sacrificed his true talent for his love even though she would never have asked him to do so.

It's a story about a Superman who works security and keeps modest and small to keep safe with his family, because he feared he would lose Lois if he became what he was. But it's merits as a movie and through Bruce Willis' performance had little to do with his Superman role and more to do with his inner life exploring his power and sense of purpose and belonging in the world, that he willfully ignored for so long. I legit cry on most rewatches of this movie.

The drama alone, between him and his wife so artfully underplayed by Robin Wright, is essentially a satisfying adult movie of the type we rarely see these days, and it would be so even if his denied destiny was that of a celebrated artist or wrestler. The "comics as exaggeration of real-life... something" isn't meant to hold up the weight of the movie: the human relationships do that, including the relationship between David and his son, and David and Elijah.

But... man. M. Night accidentally nailed a very clever and powerful real-world, powered-down adaptation of a super-hero model...

...in a story that was cleverly scripted to really hold its twist back and hit you with it unexpectedly...

...and I can say it worked like gangbusters on my mom. I saw the movie 20 years ago but she never had. She had the shock I had when it was revealed what Elijah had really done to find his opposite in David. M. Night got two solid twists in his career before he became known for them and everybody started searching for them and he failed to impress with The Village. Unbreakable, after Sixth Sense, was the "fool me twice." And he did, the mad bastard. He fooled us twice. I don't now of anyone watching the movie at the time who called the true nature of Elijah, but on rewatches, of course, it's all right there, all the mentions of the accidents he surveyed to find a lone survivor, etc. All the flashback scenes, to lead you to understand his character, all the clues. This was M. Night's last chance to surprise us, and he did.

I think it's his best movie. Both M. Night's and Bruce Willis'. And I fucking love the first Die Hard, too. But it doesn't consistently make me cry. This movie, man. I don't know what to tell you. It appeals to the male mid-life ego, that's for sure. It speaks to the hidden power in all of us, that we set aside to pursue safer avenues for the sake of the ones we love, for fear of their response to being with someone who becomes... super.

Split was an excellent thriller and it's last-minute twist adding David Dunn in a cameo was genius and M. Night's last chance to play that card again. But it had none of the heart and soul of Unbreakable, even though James McAvoy deserves endless praise for his work in the film.

Glass on the other hand approaches none of the emotional depth of Unbreakable and just kills everyone and everything we came to care about in some sort of meta commentary conspiracy plot that plays poorly and leads directly to a literal Dead End. It felt like "Fuck You" the movie and he should have made it five to ten years after Split when he actually felt hungry and gave a shit about the characters again.

I wish it never happened, honestly. A fucking puddle. I would take a "David Dunn and son" interim movie, though. Willis could use it!

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Seen it multiple times but not for at least a decade now. I really enjoyed it and thought it did very well in bringing the superhero genre into more of a realistic arena.

Also good to look back at the days when Bruce Willis used to put the effort in.

Mar 18, 2020
At the time it was pretty revolutionary. Now everyone's used to twists to the point where they're disappointed if there isn't one.
I haven't seen in since it came out but I remember enjoying it a lot and Split is probably the closest he's come to that level since then.

Now Glass...damn.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Best "origin story" movie out there. Very, very clever. All around great film. Probably one of the best of at least half that decade. Not a masterpiece or anything but just solid and hard to top.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's a good film, but I've noticed it's quite hard to watch again for me as Shyamalan's directing style, with all those draaaaagging shots, characters staring or moving veeeeeery slowly, just doesn't sit right with me anymore. I think it's a better script than movie if that makes sense.

Split is the same, the script is good but the movie itself drags so much. Dude needs some Michael Bay in his life.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
A boring slog. There's stuff to like about it, but I've always find it hard to get through without falling asleep

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I was not a fan. Outside of the novelty of being a stealth superhero origin movie I didn't particularly care for David Dunn.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, what? The Sixth Sense is why he is known for twists.

He wasn't really known for them until after his second movie had one too.

M. Night wasn't "the twist" director after Sixth Sense. He was just the director of a movie with a good twist in it.

When Unbreakable had a good twist too, then it became his trademark. And, ironically, the twists quit being good at that time too.