Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1650472172509429765

Now, according to Chinese publication Sina Technology (via WoWhead), NetEase has filed a lawsuit against Blizzard, seeking ¥300 million Yuan (roughly $43.5 million USD) to cover refunds for discontinued games and services.
NetEase is reportedly also demanding compensation for unsold merchandise inventory and deposits on undeveloped games, in addition to "unequal provisions favoring Blizzard Entertainment" in the licensing agreements between the pair.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
One interesting development is they are also dragging the Blizzard game operator before them, The9 into this, wonder if something funny has anything to do with them.

Oct 25, 2017
During the conversation, which was conducted at times through translators, Activision executives reportedly felt that NetEase CEO William Ding had threatened to sway the Chinese government to either block or support Microsoft's proposed acquisition of Activision Blizzard depending on the outcome of the negotiations.

Other sources told the publication that this had never been NetEase's intention and was in fact simply a misunderstanding.

Yeah, total misunder-wink-standing.

Days before Blizzard's games went offline in China, NetEase tore down a World of Warcraft statue outside its headquarters in an apparent symbolic gesture aimed at Blizzard, and even streamed the demolition via one of its official game channels.

Wild. I wonder what they're doing with it. Selling? Bet that'd grab some $$$ on ebay.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
pretty crazy situation considering they still have agreements in place for Diablo Immortal (co-developed by Netease)

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
This is like one of those fights where both involved are the bad guys. I hope they both lose somehow.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
I just feel bad for the Chinese gamers who lost access to their games/accounts (assuming).

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know the exact wording of the contract and I don't think this will rise to the standard but incredibly unfair contracts are often illegal. Simply signing a contract doesn't make it good, fair, nor legal.

Those contracts that are legally unfair are generally caused by people in small businesses or lack understanding. These are massive companies that would have had lawyers review each and every paragraph with a ton of back and forth.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Those contracts that are legally unfair are generally caused by people in small businesses or lack understanding. These are massive companies that would have had lawyers review each and every paragraph with a ton of back and forth.

This doesn't stop it from being unfair. It's not fair simply because one realizes it's unfair and still signs the contract. That doesn't mean this particular contract was unfair. I don't know.

viral

Oct 25, 2017

There's some more info in the Wowhead article:
www.wowhead.com

NetEase Isn't Suing Blizzard - A Disgruntled Gamer Is

Following news that NetEase was suing Blizzard Entertainment for $43.5 million in refunds, Activision Blizzard responded by stating no complaints have been received. We've since discovered that NetEase isn't suing Blizzard at all - a disgruntled gamer is.

Basically they're being sued by a single player and it was just a simple misfiling.

Bengraven