Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Me thinking they sound like conservatives now could also be a case of "live long enough to become the villain." Things that are progressive in the 90s aren't necessarily going to still be progressive 30 years later. So without the context of the era they wrote these songs, they may just sound center right in today's world.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Me thinking they sound like conservatives now could also be a case of "live long enough to become the villain." Things that are progressive in the 90s aren't necessarily going to still be progressive 30 years later. So without the context of the era they wrote these songs, they may just sound center right in today's world.
The We Never Have Anymore is not really incel. Incels don't have sex at all.

The song is more about a relationship experiencing a lack of passion.

However, I can see the whole "owed sex" crap be implied, although not directly.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I was doing doing dishes the other day and Spotify played Why Don't You Get a Job and We Never Have Sex Anymore back to back. Together they gave me that misogynistic feeling incels have towards women, you know women are gold diggers and that Jordan Peterson thing that men are owed sex.

After that hit me, some of the other songs hit different. The Kids Aren't All Right started sounding like some bootstraps nonsense, like it's sad all these people he knew threw their lives away, if only they hadn't made poor personal choices.
TKAAR is just growing up in a poor neighborhood. Literally watched this song playout where I grew up and it was fucked up. It's not pull yourself up, it's get out if you can.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Good. If you listen to their new album you could tell who ever writes the lyrics (I assume lead singer?) Politically left.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I was doing doing dishes the other day and Spotify played Why Don't You Get a Job and We Never Have Sex Anymore back to back. Together they gave me that misogynistic feeling incels have towards women, you know women are gold diggers and that Jordan Peterson thing that men are owed sex.

After that hit me, some of the other songs hit different. The Kids Aren't All Right started sounding like some bootstraps nonsense, like it's sad all these people he knew threw their lives away, if only they hadn't made poor personal choices.
Ah alright, great explanation thanks. I can see the reasoning. Offspring is a childhood/teenage favorite of mine (fell of after Americana) so very curious how people have got those impressions.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
As far as I can tell he's full of shit. The J&J vaccine does come with a warning about GBS patients, but the mRna vaccines have no reported effects on GBS patients.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
And it feeeels like covid's so far away

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
TKAAR is just growing up in a poor neighborhood. Literally watched this song playout where I grew up and it was fucked up. It's not pull yourself up, it's get out if you can.
This.
It's telling you that you're fucked unless you find a ladder to get out of that shit. If you do, never look back.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, I'm vaccinated, a drummer and not an idiot. Hit me up!

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I take great personal offense to referring to The Offspring as a "nineties band." They've been performing since the 80s and literally just released a new album lol.

But yeah, Dexter Holland is a PhD molecular biologist and probably has zero patience for any anti-vax rhetoric.
They hit their stride in the 90s with Smash and their last really notable album was Ixnay on the Hombre (imo).

90s band is pretty fitting for me.
I get it, I get it. Look- as much as I personally think of The Offspring's high point as Smash and Ixnay, the reality is that a lot of people know them for their hits on Americana and then even younger generations know them for "You're Gonna Go Far Kid". I worked with a lot of 20-25 year-olds who knew them as "the band that does that dance fucker dance song".

But yeah, the 90's was absolutely their decade.
They still hold the Guinness World Record for Best Selling Independent Album In History for 1994's Smash (well-deserved imo)

And he makes hot sauce (which I personally like)
It's shockingly good. I brought it to my office and it didn't survive the week. My office manager made it a regular purchase from then on.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Drummer got blackball'd
tenor.gif

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
While they do have problematic lyrics (Why Don't You Get a Job, while being a tongue in cheek song, def has gold-diggery themes), they've always been really decent left-leaning folks - specially Noodles.
wut?

one verse of that song starts out with "my friends got a girl friend and he hates that bitch" and literally the other verse starts out with "my friends got a boy friend and she hates that dick"
both of the significant others of the friends are freeloaders.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
wut?

one verse of that song starts out with "my friends got a girl friend and he hates that bitch" and literally the other verse starts out with "my friends got a boy friend and she hates that dick"
both of the significant others of the friends are freeloaders.

Yeah I don't get it, that song talks shit about both a guy and a girl and it's no worse for the woman than it is for the guy.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
If he's truly abstaining from the jab due to medical reasons, fine. Those antivaxx talking points of his still make him a stupid dumbshit goddamn motherfucker, though.

Nov 8, 2017

I mean, that song's third verse switches to a deadbeat boyfriend as the subject.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
He was neither with the latest fashion nor showed any inclination to stop spreading the disease

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
They haven't been a "pop punk" band for like 25 years I thought. I haven't listened to their last few albums, did they go back to their pre-Smash sound?

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
I just watched the new HBO Max documentary on Woodstock 99' and I really respected the lead singer for calling out the shitstains in the crowd who were groping crowd surfing women.

ak1287

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

This isn't a good read of the lyrics, though.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
The original Variety article says he claims it's because he suffers from Guillain-Barré Syndrome.
Sounds like a legit condition, but it's not at all clear if it's a legit reason/concern for vaccination.

Anyone actually know?

Edit: something something bad habit.

My mom got it from a vaccine when she was a child and lost the ability to walk for almost year. She still got the Covid vaccine as soon as she could and she was fine.

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
The original Variety article says he claims it's because he suffers from Guillain-Barré Syndrome.
Sounds like a legit condition, but it's not at all clear if it's a legit reason/concern for vaccination.

Anyone actually know?

Edit: something something bad habit.

most ANY vaccine could potentially cause it

Covid itself can also cause it

for him to harp on this extremely personal and specific point so publicly is disingenuous, misleading and a public disservice. As expected the replies are all anti vax bullshit

there are a very, very small number of people who can't get it. If you're one of them, you'd know

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I get it, I get it. Look- as much as I personally think of The Offspring's high point as Smash and Ixnay, the reality is that a lot of people know them for their hits on Americana and then even younger generations know them for "You're Gonna Go Far Kid". I worked with a lot of 20-25 year-olds who knew them as "the band that does that dance fucker dance song".

They still hold the Guinness World Record for Best Selling Independent Album In History for 1994's Smash (well-deserved imo)

Yeah, I've been a fan of the band since Smash, and while the 90s was probably their best output, they still released solid music after that. I still like to re-listen to Conspiracy of One and Splinter, which I would argue stands up well against the 90s stuff.

ceej

Mar 9, 2021
Reno, Nv.

It's shockingly good. I brought it to my office and it didn't survive the week. My office manager made it a regular purchase from then on.
I'm realizing that I only listened to Conspiracy of One (brother had it)--then I discovered Ignition, and the S/T throughout middle school/HS. Maybe time to actually check out the rest of the discography.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I'm realizing that I only listened to Conspiracy of One (brother had it)--then I discovered Ignition, and the S/T throughout middle school/HS. Maybe time to actually check out the rest of the discography.
Whoa. You started with their least popular albums and I kind of respect it. BTW Ignition was a treat to discover for the first time. The world enjoyed their insane triple success of Smash/Ixnay/American but I was working my way backwards through their older albums and god damn Ignition is just some good, old school Cali punk with a tinge of that 80's punk sound. Session, Kick Him When He's Down, Dirty Magic- I loved that record.

Excited for you to hear Smash. It's going to be a trip.

Yeah, I've been a fan of the band since Smash, and while the 90s was probably their best output, they still released solid music after that. I still like to re-listen to Conspiracy of One and Splinter, which I would argue stands up well against the 90s stuff.
As long as you can adjust to the Offspring's cleaner production sound that started with Americana, I would argue that every Offspring album until recently is mostly good. My only caveat is that they tend to pad otherwise solid albums like Splinter with their "joke songs" like parodies and the token pop song. Even if they make me laugh the first time, I'm probably going to skip them on subsequent listens.

Splinter had some absolute bangers on it though.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Medical condition or not, the fact he spews out that "half the population reacted differently" towards the vaccine, no mentions of saying he'll mask up or incline others who are wary of the disease to mask up. I don't believe it for a second.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
If he's truly abstaining from the jab due to medical reasons, fine. Those antivaxx talking points of his still make him a stupid dumbshit goddamn motherfucker, though.
I have no insider information on this, but I have a feeling he made up the part about a doctor telling him that he shouldn't get the vaccine. Just a feeling based on his other posts.

Deleted member 9207

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
most ANY vaccine could potentially cause it

Covid itself can also cause it

for him to harp on this extremely personal and specific point so publicly is disingenuous, misleading and a public disservice. As expected the replies are all anti vax bullshit

there are a very, very small number of people who can't get it. If you're one of them, you'd know
To my knowledge, only the Jansen vaccine has had any ties to it, and the sample size was so small we've never actually known if it's just a coincidence. Even if we somehow believe the vaccines could cause syndrome (keyword: syndrome, it's not a disease of any sort), the chance to get it is smaller than getting struck lightning. If you've somehow suffered from it before, just being under supervision (not even medical) for a couple of days is enough. It's a lot more dangerous to get infected with Covid.

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Smash is one of my favorite records of all time. Newer stuff... Ehhh. Ignition is great, too. Good on them.

Parada had a chance yeah he really did
Instead he copped out and he got COVID
Pete now plays at home cuz he's got no job
But Mike Huckabee will hire him on the spot

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Smash is one of my favorite records of all time. Newer stuff... Ehhh. Ignition is great, too. Good on them.
Yeah, they all have songs that you would react very differently to, depending on what you heard first.

"Oh shit, this is The Offspring I want!"
Splinter - The Noose, CGM Head Around You, Lightning Rod, Da Hui
Rise and Fall - Trust In You, Hammerhead, Takes Me Nowhere
Days Go By - Diving By Zero, Slim Pickens, The Future Is Now, Secrets From The Underground

"Ew, what the fuck happened to this band?"
Splinter - Hit That, Worst Hangover Ever, When You're In Prison
Rise and Fall - Kristy Are You Doing Ok?, Fix You
Days Go By - Days Go By, Cruisin' California, I Wanna Secret Family With You

Makes it really frustrating to talk about them. They continuously showed the pontential for some fucking bops but the "joke songs" "pop singles" kept getting more insufferable.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Yeah, they all have songs that you would react very differently to, depending on what you heard first.

Days Go By - Diving By Zero, Slim Pickens, The Future Is Now, Secrets From The Underground

Makes it really frustrating to talk about them. They continuously showed the pontential for some fucking bops but the "joke songs" "pop singles" kept getting more insufferable.
I know it's one of the joke songs of the album, but worst hangover ever is great.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
His excuse frankly reads like Facebook anti-vax stuff, given he can pick up that syndrome more readily from getting a bug in the wild than most vaccines. I guess his molecular biologist bandmate wasn't buying it.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl

Your post is so accurate at literally every point it hurts lmao. Yeah I think I was only 7 when Smash came out but I begged my parents to get me the album lol. I still listen to it often. For me a great album is one where I'm not skipping around or over stuff but rather I can listen to it front to back as a whole. Smash is that album. Americana and beyond? It goes from a lot of skipping to straight record avoidance altogether🤣. I still got an old copy of their self titled record when it was reprinted on Nitro somewhere I need to unearth. "Elders" is in my top 10 all time great Offspring songs. 🙌

Also Smash was my gateway to a lot of my now favorite punk music so that makes it even more important to me. The label (Epitaph for those unaware) led me to buying Punk-o-Rama compilations which lead me to Bad Religion. "Killboy Powerhead" cover led me to discovering the Didjits. Dexter's label "Nitro" lead me to AFI, Vandals, etc. Even today the friends I still have aren't really all into that music as much as I was and partially still am. You took me down memory lane so sorry for the ramblings I'll STFU now 🤣.

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I will forgive people if they want to skip Pretty Fly and Get a Job, but I will not suffer this Americana slander. It may not be on the level of Smash, but I think it's better than Ixnay.

Heck, Pay The Man is the best thing they've ever done.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
He's getting his vaccine yeah, he's getting it done.
He wanted covid 19 but they gave him 31.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
This thread has inspired me to finally try Dexter's hot sauce. Just ordered a variety pack off of Amazon.