Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What if we get a new Metroid game in the form of a Nintendo x Indie collab like Cadence of Hyrule?

If Nintendo is struggling to find a dev to work on it, I'm sure there's tons of indie ones who'd jump at the chance given how influential Metroid is on the indie scene.

I don't think these are necessarily linked. If they want an indie collab, they're just gonna do that. It wouldn't come instead of a new Metroid.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo will only do collaboration with indies IF they can bring something new to a franchise is my guess. They give you Metroid they don't want you to create a 2D Metroid game. They want something new. Just like Miyamoto wanted a new Mario game from Mario + Rabbids.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's why I mentioned Splatoon in the indie topic. It's a big Nintendo IP and I'd imagine they want spinoffs for it. Indie devs are good for that.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
You can already buy Bayo 1 on Switch, which is probably why they aren't doing this bundle. Hopefully we see Vanquish standalone at some point, it would be weird if it didn't make it.

That's not surprising at all. Sakura Wars also skipped Switch for some reason. Going from Toshihiro Nagoshi's words, I don't think Sega sees Switch as a real gaming console. They see it as a children's platform and that's why they're not bringing any M and T rated stuff to Switch. Valkyria Chronicles sales also might have affected their decision on Switch.

Currently they have two upcoming games for Switch: Hatsune Miku and Two Point Hospital. I really doubt they have anything else for Switch in 2020 but I love to be surprised.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Huh? I thought indie presentations only coincide with conventions and trade shows? Now both Nintendo and Sony are doing stuff the week of the Game Awards. All we need is a new Inside Xbox and we're golden.

Won't be surprised if Nintendo and Platinum's next collaboration after Bayo 3 is a new fantasy IP that looks suspiciously like Scalebound. It'd be more surprising if Kamiya just gave up on his dream game forever.

Deleted member 14939

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't think they'd want an indie Metroid in the same genre. If one happens (could be nice), I think it'd be more a different genre, like the recent Zelda spinoff.
That said, I really doubt Metroid is on that list of collabs (like other hardcore IPs they have difficulties to manage). Hell, the next Star Fox would probably be indie lol.

Ooo! They could get the Hatoful Boyfriend team to make a Star Fox dating sim.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? I thought indie presentations only coincide with conventions and trade shows? Now both Nintendo and Sony are doing stuff the week of the Game Awards. All we need is a new Inside Xbox and we're golden.

Won't be surprised if Nintendo and Platinum's next collaboration after Bayo 3 is a new fantasy IP that looks suspiciously like Scalebound. It'd be more surprising if Kamiya just gave up on his dream game forever.

"After"? Who knows, maybe Scalebound comes before Bayo 3. Platinum pausing Bayo 3 development to focus on Scalebound Switch is a possibility alright. I don't think they'd reveal Scalebound at this TGA to release it ~2 years after that.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
That's not surprising at all. Sakura Wars also skipped Switch for some reason. Going from Toshihiro Nagoshi's words, I don't think Sega sees Switch as a real gaming console. They see it as a children's platform and that's why they're not bringing any M and T rated stuff to Switch. Valkyria Chronicles sales also might have affected their decision on Switch.

I call bullshit. VC did way better on Switch than it did on Xbox One, so it's not like the Switch version did the worst. I think in the case of Sakura Wars, the devs just wanted to make it PS4 exclusive.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I call bullshit. VC did way better on Switch than it did on Xbox One, so it's not like the Switch version did the worst. I think in the case of Sakura Wars, the devs just wanted to make it PS4 exclusive.

Xbox One support from Japanese publishers always baffles me. Maybe Phil has something to do with it.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Xbox One support from Japanese publishers always baffles me. Maybe Phil has something to do with it.
It mostly has to do with the Xbox itself not being very popular in Japan. It goes all the way back to the console's introduction in 2001. Xbox has always had problems getting reliable Japanese third party support.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Japanese publishers think supporting Xbox helps their games do better in the West. We don't have access to platform splits so we don't know whether that is the case or not. Obviously certain JRPGs like a Tales game will probably have trouble on Xbox, but something like Kingdom Hearts 3 did really well on Xbox.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Japanese publishers think supporting Xbox helps their games do better in the West. We don't have access to platform splits so we don't know whether that is the case or not. Obviously certain JRPGs like a Tales game will probably have trouble on Xbox, but something like Kingdom Hearts 3 did really well on Xbox.

Well Falcom thinks the absolute opposite. They think western JRPG fans are mainly on Switch.

I still think Namco and Sega are making a big mistake skipping Switch for no reason. Namco could get similar or even better sales numbers for Takes of Arise on Switch than PS4 yet they take their time to port the game to Xbox One instead (despite its good looks, I don't think Tales of Arise is out of Switch's reach technically). For me it's sad to think to not be able to play another Tales game on a handheld for a long time.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Well Falcom thinks the absolute opposite. They think western JRPG fans are mainly on Switch.

I still think Namco and Sega are making a big mistake skipping Switch for no reason. Namco could get similar or even better sales numbers for Takes of Arise on Switch than PS4 yet they take their time to port the game to Xbox One instead (despite its good looks, I don't think Tales of Arise is out of Switch's reach technically). For me it's sad to think to not be able to play another Tales game on a handheld for a long time.
Blame Harada and Nagoshi

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how do you look at Fire Emblem Three Houses and think "nah, lets not put Sakura Wars on the system"?

Oct 26, 2017
how do you look at Fire Emblem Three Houses and think "nah, lets not put Sakura Wars on the system"?

This is a (poorly made by Sonic Team) Dynasty Warriors dating sim that will sell like 300k in Japan, get a 58 Metacritic in the west, and sell like 50k in America+Europe combined.

Probably needed some Sony money for it to exist at all?

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
This is a (poorly made by Sonic Team) Dynasty Warriors dating sim that will sell like 300k in Japan, get a 58 Metacritic in the west, and sell like 50k in America+Europe combined.

Probably needed some Sony money for it to exist at all?

Really doubt that. SIE doesn't seem to care much about niche anime games, especially the ones that have almost no history outside of Japan. It's been a very long time since SIE published a JRPG. Nintendo on the other hand, releasing their own "weird ass JRPG" in just a month.

And don't forget, Wii version of the game sold much better than PS2 port. Clearly Nintendo audience loves these stuff (I know I do).

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wished Nintendo would let Reggie do a big fi King game reveal, but they probably won't since he's no longer an employee. I want him to give the best family award then tell Geoff "if he thinks he came all the way out here to give out an award??"

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Reggie presents best family award or something, gives it out, blah blah. Geoff thanks him for being there, but reggie interreupts him. "Geoff hold on! You thought I only took off my vacay and playing some earthbound on my switch just to give an award?! ....Well you thought right, see ya!"

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
"You really thought I came all the way down here just to present one award?"

giphy.gif

Method

Oct 25, 2017
Reggie going to come in wearing a Retro pin. Geoff will ask him about it and if Retro will be releasing a new game and Reggie's response will be:

"New game? *Laughs* I haven't done any work for the past few months since my retirement, so I decided to wear a pin where a company themselves achieved greater than I did. No work done for the past 6 years!"

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imran's predictions

-BotW 2 could possibly be there
-No Smash dlc
-Bayonetta 3 gameplay shown

thinks 2020 will be there year for Metroid Prime Trilogy

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
Shinya Takahashi ended E3 2019 Direct on June 11 with first Botw2 trailer, and now we will get another trailer/gameplay on December 12, still crazy to me that it was half year ago, i watched that trailer a lot of times.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Reggie will announce the Earthbound Collection for Switch, consisting of Earthbound Beginnings and Earthbound! In Japan, it's titled Mother 1+2+3.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Imran's predictions

-BotW 2 could possibly be there
-No Smash dlc
-Bayonetta 3 gameplay shown

thinks 2020 will be there year for Metroid Prime Trilogy

There will be 15 brand new games shown there. At least two of them have to be from Nintendo. I'm surprised that no one is predicting any new IP from Nintendo at TGA.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I'm really happy that Reggie is here, only because you can feel that him and Geoff have been great friends over the years. Love to see them interact together.

Status
Not open for further replies.