Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackano

Oct 27, 2017
Emily implied that February (and all of 2019 for that matter) won't be an empty :

No shit. Once again : Nintendo always was able to release 9-12 games per year and per platform since the 2000's, minus some tuff years. Just look at the wikipedia Nintendo products lists.

Now they only have the Switch left, sure the 3DS will have some releases but not as numerous and not involving long development cycles.
One first party game per month is their pace. Should be possible as 1st-party developed games, so just as a publisher is even more easy.

That said, longer support for games like Splatoon with many post-release DLC, or eShop only/mobile games is taking off some resources.
But not as many as just scrapping 3DS from their planning.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
So that canceled Retro game had to have been the rumored Diddy Kong Racing reboot, right? I can't possibly think of another reason Diddy Kong was inexplicably left out of MK8.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
So that canceled Retro game had to have been the rumored Diddy Kong Racing reboot, right? I can't possibly think of another reason Diddy Kong was inexplicably left out of MK8.
Considering they are now working on a Star Fox Racing game it seems highly unlikely that they cancelled another racing game...

Releasing Daemon X Machina in February is sending it to die IMO. I think they'll push it to April if it releases in the first half of the year, although it wouldn't be strange if it was released on the second half - the game's footage from the last direct was still a bit rough.
If we get something on February it is going to be a port of some kind, that doesn't need a big marketing cycle.
Why would it die in February ? Because of games releasing on other platforms ? Daemon isn't a big title, it'll aim for 1M copies sold at best, the following months in the year will only be more crowded imho

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no. there hasn't been any credible evidence that Retro has been working on Diddy Kong racing

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Considering they are now working on a Star Fox Racing game it seems highly unlikely that they cancelled another racing game...

If development was troubled and Nintendo told them it was too similar to Mario Kart, they could easily have used similar elements in a Star Fox racing game.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Is it bad that I still believe MPT is coming this February?

I believe it too. Emily said she thought that Nintendo could have something for every month if I recall, and that was after the Metroid drama of the game awards. Saying specifically "every month" could mean that, at least the first few months of the year, she had solid info on what is releasing. If a direct happens in the next few days, it'll be a good timing to announce MPT on switch. It's not like they need a big marketing push to promote 10-15 years old games.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
What does it suggest?
It suggests that she would be surprised if there were any months without a release. Not that February will fore sure have one. That's very much reading what one wants it to mean into it.

Kirby is barely even a platformer though. And its not a shared universe with dk like mario and yoshi are.
You're really stretching it now :)

Who cares about a shared universe when Yoshi CW and NSMBUDX are just as different frome one another as DKCTF and Kirby (barely a platformer lol) were.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
No February game would be kinda weird, I was expecting them to announce it at TGA just like last year. We don't really know the insights of Nintendo but if there's no February game, what was the point of releasing NSMBU so early into the month and just one month after Smash? They could have perfectly released it closer to February in order to fill the gap.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It suggests that she would be surprised if there were any months without a release. Not that February will fore sure have one. That's very much reading what one wants it to mean into it.

Who cares about a shared universe when Yoshi CW and NSMBUDX are just as different frome one another as DKCTF and Kirby (barely a platformer lol) were.
I mean, that's historically how Emily has hinted at stuff. I see where you're coming from but I can't really blame anyone for taking it the other way.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
No February game would be kinda weird, I was expecting them to announce it at TGA just like last year. We don't really know the insights of Nintendo but if there's no February game, what was the point of releasing NSMBU so early into the month and just one month after Smash? They could have perfectly released it closer to February in order to fill the gap.
If anything, what was the point in having both NSMBUD and Travis Strikes Again in January when there is no game for February...

Deleted member 41183

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
There's always the possibility of a digital game like BoxBoy or Dr. Mario being announced this month in a Direct and releasing in Feb, with EEY being being the physical game (albeit on 3DS). Or they could have surprise DLC or something for Mario Party or drop Labo 4. February is also likely to see the release of Piranha Plant in Smash.

February might be a quieter month, and maybe even have no physical Switch software, but they may release some smaller things instead.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure a Direct is coming in January, but those clowns don't know anything.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

That's correct. I said I would be surprised if there were any months without a first party release. Because there is a lot of software planned this year. But I never ruled out the possibility of 1 or 2 months being empty of first party releases.

However, I don't see why it matters if February has a first party game or not.

This month alone, Nintendo is publishing 3 games: New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, Fitness Boxing, and Travis Strikes Back. That should be a strong indicator of how padded this year's release schedule is going to be. Just the idea that Nintendo would even drop 3 games in a single month.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's correct. I said I would be surprised if there were any months without a first party release. Because there is a lot of software planned this year. But I never ruled out the possibility of 1 or 2 months being empty of first party releases.

This month alone, Nintendo is publishing 3 games: New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, Fitness Boxing, and Travis Strikes Back. That should be a strong indicator of how padded this year's release schedule is going to be. Just the idea that Nintendo would even drop 3 games in a single month.
tenor.gif

Oct 25, 2017

tbh even in stacked years they usually leave one month empty per half year. August especially tends to be dry.

Sometimes its better to double or triple up on certain months rather than release in particular months.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

2d 👏 zelda 👏 when 👏

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
tbh even in stacked years they usually leave one month empty per half year. August especially tends to be dry.

Sometimes its better to double or triple up on certain months rather than release in particular months.

What if there's so much content that skipping some months completely would result in 4 games for some months though? 🤔

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I'm 22 hours into 2019; totally reasonable to start direct discussion now.
I was ready to start Direct discussion 22 minutes into 2019.

Gaia, the developer that worked on it, doesn't exist anymore if I am not mistaken. But maybe Arika (Endless Ocean) could handle something like it.
Oh, Celestia, now I'm imagining an HD remake of Endless Ocean with 60fps and an open-world sandbox. Just take EO 1&2 and mash them into a single game...

If development was troubled and Nintendo told them it was too similar to Mario Kart, they could easily have used similar elements in a Star Fox racing game.
Urg, no, that's how we ended up with the abomination called Excite Bots. Bad enough for Diddy Kong to kill one IP, I don't want to see it kill again!

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018

That is true, but this is also the company that released Xenoblade 2 in early December when they didn't have much original software for H1 2018 and the game could have used a couple more months of polish. Most of the H1 games were rereleases.

Also any potential new IP announcements from Nintendo anytime soon? lol

I need to see their next big franchise maaaan. Maybe Aonuma's thief game, or Monolith Soft's medieval game, maybe another third party exclusive, or something from EPD since Retro and Next Level Games are busy with old IPs

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
I doubt this will happen but I really would like to see another take at Kid Icarus, the 3DS game was very good and something like that on the Switch would work very well. Also, Platinum would be perfect for this... just dreaming out loud here, sorry.
Yeah, it would be cool if we got another Kid Icarus. I'd say Sakurai oversee/supervise the project, while Platinum develops the game. Although I couldnt see the project releasing until 2021 or 2022 on Switch. Maybe they could outsource an Uprising HD with better controls onto Switch in the wait time. I really enjoyed Kid Icarus and I feel it has potential to be a much larger selling series.
I don't want to state the obvious, but Marvel Ultimate Alliance simply has to out when Endgame does. It will print money. Get an advert before the film etc.

I also don't know if this thread is just general discussion or what; but i picked up Super Mario Party the other day and me and my wife(Never played any games, like ever) love it and the minigames are great. I hope they have plans for some DLC because four boards is not enough!

I guess my main concern is that Mortal Kombat is another somewhat major title releasing in a similar genre in the same month on Switch. Hasn't stopped anything in the past. However, we dont even know about if the development team will have it ready by April. I think it would still be major advertisement if they got 30-45 second ads to play before Captain Marvel and Spiderman, a longer minute and a half trailer for Avengers and then gave it a big push it at E3. Release it on the last day of E3 or the week after E3. I think that could be just as big, if not bigger, than having it out by April with the Avengers.

Yeah there were also murmurings and rumors floating around from other sources that also somewhat jive with this story. I'd say it would largely make sense with everything that has happened. I suspect a part of it has to do with Monster Games and Nintendo's relationship souring. I really liked the idea of having Dillon, Mallon and others. It's a shame that development turned out like it did because it sounds like it could've been really good. It would also make sense why they would move onto Star Fox Racing GP after that.

Perhaps they could revisit Diddy Kong Racing, after Star Fox Racing GP. That or make another DK platformer(3D?).

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018

I need to see their next big franchise maaaan. Maybe Aonuma's thief game, or Monolith Soft's medieval game, maybe another third party exclusive, or something from EPD since Retro and Next Level Games are busy with old IPs

EPD does new IP like Labo, Wii Fit, Steel Diver and so on far more often than the "big" games.

Jan 11, 2018

Kirby is far more focused on combat than it is platforming. I'm not sure what's so lol about that. Anyways, I know it's not impossible for them to release in back to back months, but I do feel Nintendo is taking it into consideration. We'll see.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That is true, but this is also the company that released Xenoblade 2 in early December when they didn't have much original software for H1 2018 and the game could have used a couple more months of polish. Most of the H1 games were rereleases.

I wouldn't hold my breath for Aonuma's thief game.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe will sell extremely well but I'm not impressed by their January lineup.
It's nothing spectacular, but a more relaxed month is expected after Smash Bros launches. Tales of Vesperia, NMH, NSMB, and Dragon Marked for Death are each notable releases. We'll see likely next week what's to come in February and beyond. If February is equally as light, then you may have a point of another mediocre Q1 like last year.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a 50% 50% scenario.
Good enough to start a thread in my eyes
Tbf they corrected themselves on the "second direct" comment, and one of our very own Era insiders was convinced of N64 mini as well, so sounds like several people were fed that information.

Though the 10th is hardly anything special. That's the date I pegged to a tee, and I know I wasn't the only one.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Tbf they corrected themselves on the "second direct" comment, and one of our very own Era insiders was convinced of N64 mini as well, so sounds like several people were fed that information.

Though the 10th is hardly anything special. That's the date I pegged to a tee, and I know I wasn't the only one.

EVERYONE KNOWS there will be a january direct. The thread was just locked because we had no "new info". "gaming intel was told the 10th" is new info

Status
Not open for further replies.