Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I was kind of thinking a same engine sequel or spinoff that would be like NSML or Captain Toad - released a year later. But that was obviously super presumptuous best case scenario.

That could be possible if there was potential for spinoffs in a lesser scale but I don't think there's anything that could be exploited in that sense in BOTW (I haven't played SMO yet sadly).

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of good games in the pipeline. I'm thinking we'll get Bayo 3 at some point. Thanks for making this overview.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I were a betting man, I'd say

Next Level: Metroid Prime 4
Retro: New IP with heavy online focus
Monolith Soft: Medieval Fantasy Not-PSO/Destiny

Kinopio

Oct 27, 2017
Is it safe to assume that EPD 4 is working on Pikmin 4? Their last game was Mario Maker around 2 years ago and they were responsible for Pikmin 3.

It seems like Pikmin 4 was first discussed in an interview around the time Mario Maker was due, so maybe they already had the next project in mind.

Last edited:
OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Is it safe to assume that EPD 4 is working on Pikmin 4? Their last game was Mario Maker around 2 years ago and they were responsible for Pikmin 3.

It seems like Pikmin 4 was first discussed in an interview around the time Mario Maker was due, so maybe they already had the next project in mind.

The NSMB side of the team made NSMBU then NSMBL then Super Mario Maker then Super Mario Run (just last December). The Pikmin side may just be a small group of programmers tinkering with ideas. Maybe we'll get some confirmation early next year as to if the game is real.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
When do people think the next "NSMB" or "SMM" game "should" be ready? Should we be considering that as a possible fall/holiday 2018 title or is that probably 2019+ rather than 2018+?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was co-developed with Nintendo? If not, my bad!
Nintendo published Bayo 2 since sega wouldn't have platinum make it without one of the big three funding. Sony/Msoft both declined, so Nintendo took it on. Bayo2 can only be Nintendo exclusive, but there is nothing stopping sega from technically putting 3 on the ps4/xbone.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
I was waiting for this thread to be remade. Great stuff.

Lots of unknowns.
a) Does Nintendo port Metroid: Samus Returns or Metroid Prime Trilogy HD for 1st half of 2018? (Especially if MP4 slips into early 2019).
b) What's next for the Rhythm Heaven/WarioWare team?
c) Pikmin?
d) Smash Bros DX?
e) same engine sequels for BOTW or Odyssey for holiday 2018?
f) Takahashi assured Nintendo had internal teams still working on quirky wacky games (Brain Age, 1 2 Switch, Miitopia)
h) Mario Maker 2 or NSMB Deluxe for next year?

My thoughts.

a) Prime Trilogy HD makes a lot of sense. It's been so long since the original Trilogy release, which was also limited at the time, so it'd be a good way to get everyone back up to speed and whet people's appetites. I wouldn't be surprised if maybe Samus Returns HD shows up as an eShop game though.
b) I love Rhythm Heaven plus I know it sells very well in Japan so I see another happening at some point, but I feel like it's been so long since the last WarioWare and there's so much they could do with the Switch that I hope they do that first.

d) I think Namco will have ported SSB to the Switch during Sakurai's vacation, and then he oversees/directs new additions while possibly doing prep work on a new IP. It will probably have enough new content to basically be Smash 5, but built heavily on SSB4 and reusing all its characters and stages. So a bit closer to Splatoon 2 than Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. They'll want it out to tie in with the paid online service launch, which I'm expecting in mid-spring/early-summer (Q2).

e) Odyssey I have a feeling will get some meaty DLC. Captain Toad was kind of like a standalone expansion for 3D World, and Galaxy 2 started as an expansion for Galaxy 1. They probably have so many leftover ideas that the DLC/season pass route would make sense.

I don't think we'll see a same engine Zelda until maybe late 2019/early 2020. I think we might get a new 2D Zelda for 2019-ish though. I believe they've said they still hope to continue 2D/traditional Zeldas. I mentioned this in the last thread, but since we've seen a trend of offbeat 8-bit sequels getting remade (FE Echoes, Samus Returns), and we've had BOTW and Link Between Worlds respectively draw from Zelda 1 and Link to the Past, a Zelda 2 remake or reboot of some sort would be really cool.

h) Mario Maker 2 is what I'd bet on. With MK8D, likely Smash, and Splatoon 2, Mario Maker seems like one of the last big "mainstream" Wii U games left to port over, and would fill the Mario hole very well for next year. NSMB is probably taking a rest until they can reboot it with maybe a new aesthetic + the type of creativity we see from the 3D Mario games.

In 2018, I am expecting Smash and Animal Crossing for sure. Mario Maker 2 is likely. I think someone from nintendo (Koizumi?) hinted at new IPs showing up on Switch. Finally I think at least one or two remasters will show up. I'd love a Zelda Ocarina of Time + Majora's Mask collection for the former's 20th anniversary, based on the 3DS versions.

When do people think the next "NSMB" or "SMM" game "should" be ready? Should we be considering that as a possible fall/holiday 2018 title or is that probably 2019+ rather than 2018+?

Mario Maker 2 for 2018 and New 2D Mario for 2019 is what I would bet on. A bit after New 2D Mario comes out, they could patch content from it into Mario Maker.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, interesting thread! Learning the inside structure of Nintendo is enlightening.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Monolith already confirm that game of this nature is their next project after Xeno2?
nothing's been confirmed. the online thing is assumed due to a job listing. Xenoblade Chronicles X also had that same job listing, and, lo and behold, it hand online. the PSO/Destiny thing is my assumption based on what XCX already did. hub area (BLADE HQ/NLA), PSO quest board, and Destiny-styled randoms in the world (albeit uncontrolled by user). all this made the game feel like a warm-up for their next online project, which I suspect the new artwork is for

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Next Level games is the best guess for the devs of prime 4? They have no console experience right?

256px-Punch-Out%21%21.jpg

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Nice to see this thread back!

Though I think we should stop putting images in quotes. I don't think that's necessary on the new system (and for example in OP an extra step to see the images)

Neapolitan

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
nothing's been confirmed. the online thing is assumed due to a job listing. Xenoblade Chronicles X also had that same job listing, and, lo and behold, it hand online. the PSO/Destiny thing is my assumption based on what XCX already did. hub area (BLADE HQ/NLA), PSO quest board, and Destiny-styled randoms in the world (albeit uncontrolled by user). all this made the game feel like a warm-up for their next online project, which I suspect the new artwork is for

Right, the job listing. Forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Really hope NLG doesn't do anything metroid related...not even having to do with FF. It just doesn't fit at all with what they do best. Them not making metroid is good for them, NLG fans, and metroid fans.

Mr.Gamerson

Oct 27, 2017
If it turns out that Smash for switch ends up becoming Smash 4+, i wouldn't be surprised if we found out that Platinum Games was working with Sakurai to bring a Kid Icarus Uprising sequel to the switch.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In 2018, I am expecting Smash and Animal Crossing for sure. Mario Maker 2 is likely. I think someone from nintendo (Koizumi?) hinted at new IPs showing up on Switch. Finally I think at least one or two remasters will show up. I'd love a Zelda Ocarina of Time + Majora's Mask collection for the former's 20th anniversary, based on the 3DS versions.

Mario Maker 2 for 2018 and New 2D Mario for 2019 is what I would bet on. A bit after New 2D Mario comes out, they could patch content from it into Mario Maker.

This is what I see as well. They need 2018 to be strong for them, and releasing Smash, Animal Crossing and SMM2 would be 3 key titles to help sustain their momentum. Sprinkle in Yoshi, Kirby and maybe Pokémon, and they're set.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Missed this thread, nice.
Also, as said last time, there's no way NLG is on MP4 outside of a support role.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Great to have you back, Shikamaru aka EAD Ninja !

Minus Star Fox Zero and Federation Force of course. ;)

I'm so happy we can keep arguing about this over here too.

In the WSJ article about AC: Pocket Camp, it mentioned that Nintendo was planning games based upon Zelda and its RPG series for mobile. With FE and Zelda taken care of, I wonder if the remnants of the PXZ team will be working on a Xenoblade title for phones?

Not Zelda "and" its RPG series. Zelda = the RPG they were referring to. Always take WSJ's articles language with a HUGE grain of salt and never get hung up on specific wording. They simply meant Zelda (labeled as an RPG), which was known from a previous WSJ report. Not Zelda and other RPGs.

So Next Level games is the best guess for the devs of prime 4? They have no console experience right?

All their games have been console games (Mario Strikers series, Punch Out, pre-Nintendo stuff). They made two handheld games after making nothing but console games.

Last edited:

Spaceships

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Come on, Wii Sports Club Tennis. They need to just make an entire game for Tennis. Who has ever cared about any minigame but Tennis?

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
So happy that this thread came over.

Really curious on Nintendo's 2018 output though. Hopefully we'll have more clear picture by January.

iamsgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not Zelda "and" its RPG series. Zelda = the RPG they were referring to. Always take WSJ's articles language with a HUGE grain of salt and never get hung up on specific wording. They simply meant Zelda (labeled as an RPG), which was known from a previous WSJ report. Not Zelda and other RPGs.
Hmm, but the tweet from Takashi Mochizuko said this
Saw AC Direct already? By the way, Nintendo and DeNA are lining up mobile games using RPG franchises. Plural
https://mobile.twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/923176067581427714

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if Zelda's counting as their "RPG" franchises, then what else could they realistically have? there arent many games similar to it nor do I think Xenoblade has that much clout. though a gatcha game based on the blades from X2 (and the skells from XCX) could make its own game

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
if Zelda's counting as their "RPG" franchises, then what else could they realistically have? there arent many games similar to it nor do I think Xenoblade has that much clout. though a gatcha game based on the blades from X2 (and the skells from XCX) could make its own game
Mario (& Luigi) RPG. Definitely not Pokémon. Depends on how big they're trying to push the Xenoblade-brand. Otherwise they don't have anything that would make any kind of sense (if anyone says Mother or Golden Sun I'll just go and laugh for a whole week straight).

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mario (& Luigi) RPG. Definitely not Pokémon. Depends on how big they're trying to push the Xenoblade-brand. Otherwise they don't have anything that would make any kind of sense (if anyone says Mother or Golden Sun I'll just go and laugh for a whole week straight).
in that case, Paper Mario is probably better reborn as a mobile series. and let Alpha Dream make a higher budget Mario & Luigi on Switch

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
So happy that this thread came over.

Really curious on Nintendo's 2018 output though. Hopefully we'll have more clear picture by January.

They probably need to do a Direct (with actual first-party releases this time) around Dec-January to start announcing titles and release dates for 2018. I'd say that an Animal Crossing, Smash, and 2D Mario (MM or 4-player NSMB) are the key releases with some of the new IPs Takahashi confirmed.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
If it turns out that Smash for switch ends up becoming Smash 4+, i wouldn't be surprised if we found out that Platinum Games was working with Sakurai to bring a Kid Icarus Uprising sequel to the switch.
Sakurai said he wasn't touching the franchise again, but if that actually did happen I'd probably leave a trail of squeeing across the entire internet.

I think everything else I want for the Switch is an eventual lock but that.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
As for "big" releases:

2018 has announced: Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Kirby, Metroid Prime 4 (tentative), and Pokemon (tentative).

I think the conventional wisdom is that we probably aren't seeing the last two next year. The way Pokemon has been talked about sounds like it is probably 2019. The way Metroid Prime 4 was revealed suggests it is further than a year away. But both of these could make it by Nintendo's reckoning; I just don't think we tend to count on them making it.

Other projects that we know/assume they are working on which could be far along: Smash 4DX or 5, Pikmin 4, Animal Crossing, Retro's game, and 2D Mario/Mario Maker.

Nintendo is also trying to create new IP internally. Potentially some such thing surfaces again next year?

As I said on the other place numerous times, I think the centerpiece of next year should be something, perhaps multiple things, among Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and 2D Mario. Nintendo needs to drive adoption, particularly among women, children, and casual Nintendo fans. Mario Kart and Splatoon do some lifting in that regard and 3D Mario does more than Zelda, I imagine, but I think Nintendo has carved out Switch's place as a hot item to their core and has proven that there is space for another dedicated portable system distinct from mobile and the best way to drive the install base now is to turn to less core-oriented franchises. These titles are also, along with Smash, simply their biggest evergreens left: they've done a phenomenal job of getting important, system-driving titles out in the first year.

Kirby and Yoshi are smaller hitters along such lines. Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime 4, Pikmin, and presumably Retro's game could all be used to keep the core engaged through-out the year and drive modest adoption. Smash could be a heavier hitter and help them get their paid online off the ground, as is often said here.

I think a year with Fire Emblem; Kirby; Yoshi; Smash; something(s) among Retro, Pikmin, and Metroid; something, or preferably two things, among Animal Crossing, 2D Mario/Maker, and Pokemon would be the ideal sort of 2018 from Nintendo first party.

The wildcard would be a new IP with the potential to be a Splatoon or a Nintendogs.

As to mobile, I think Xenoblade 2 is crying out for a gacha spin-off with its blade system, which is a fantasy riff on the system. I think they ought to do Zelda mobile at some point. My best guess is that it is something like Triforce Heroes adapted for mobile: something with multiplayer potential, something loot-driven, something designed around replayability.

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see Next Level Games produce a bigger budget new IP. I'd love to see them stretch their creativity instead of being tied to Nintendo IPs all the time like Luigis Mansion or or Super Mario Strikers. We already got 3 in like 8 months, Mario games, Odyssey, Kart, Rabbids. Let's see some newer stuff

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
That NLG guess will be very interesting if true. Fans will be expecting a big jump in visuals from Prime 3 and I'm not sure what an HD semi-realistic looking game would look like from them.

Oct 27, 2017
With Nintendo focusing less on the 3DS for 2018 (most of the announced games are basically c-list stuff), there could be a possibility that Nintendo can be able to release even more Switch games next year. So far, they kept the Switch healty with one first usually one party release a month, but they can easily up that to two or three. Plus, with both Takahashi AND Koizumi talking about new IPs in development, I think we'll start to see a bulk of them next year.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Happy to see this thread return.

2018 is the big question right now. A Direct has to happen in either December or January considering how little we know.

Lots of unknowns.
a) Does Nintendo port Metroid: Samus Returns or Metroid Prime Trilogy HD for 1st half of 2018? (Especially if MP4 slips into early 2019).
b) What's next for the Rhythm Heaven/WarioWare team?
c) Pikmin?
d) Smash Bros DX?
e) same engine sequels for BOTW or Odyssey for holiday 2018?
f) Takahashi assured Nintendo had internal teams still working on quirky wacky games (Brain Age, 1 2 Switch, Miitopia)
h) Mario Maker 2 or NSMB Deluxe for next year?
Some thoughts:

a) I don't expect Metroid Prime 4 until 2019. I'm unsure whether they think it's worth it to have another Metroid release next year. If they do, Prime Trilogy makes sense. Maybe they could team up with Tantalus again.
b) I'm really hoping for a new WarioWare. The timing seems right, and it's been too long.
c) I think Pikmin could easily be announced and released next year. I don't think it will have a long lead time considering it's not one of the heavy hitters.
d) Smash Bros. will at least be announced by the end of E3. When it releases likely depends on the scope of the game. I think Nintendo likes to announce Smash early because they can get people excited with character trailers on a regular basis. If it's a port with minor additions, it could very well release next year.
e) Holiday 2018 seems too early for BotW/Odyssey sequels. I think it will at least take three years.
f) Wacky games: I think Tomodachi Life is likely. That game was a surprise hit in Europe especially.
h) Next year would be a good time to release a new 2D Mario. I'm hoping they release a completely new style of 2D Mario before Mario Maker 2 so they have more to add in the latter.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think a refresh on 2D Mario would be strong for 2018 (or 2019) holiday.

I think playing to pent-up fan dreams, like they have with 3D Zelda and 3D Mario this year, could make an extremely appealing game. That would mean, in this case, changing up the aesthetics mostly and finding a way to draw attention and making the game seem like it is Super Mario Brothers 5 and not just a series of echoes of old games presented in a sterile way. It doesn't really matter how fair this negative impression of NSMB is, just as it didn't particularly matter with Zelda and 3D Mario. I think a shift along these lines would give the game 'presence' and word of mouth.

Strong level design and multiplayer would help drive that long term among an expanded audience but a fresh start for 2D Mario could get the ball rolling.

Spartacris

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles

I think playing to pent-up fan dreams, like they have with 3D Zelda and 3D Mario this year, could make an extremely appealing game. That would mean, in this case, changing up the aesthetics mostly and finding a way to draw attention and making the game seem like it is Super Mario Brothers 5 and not just a series of echoes of old games presented in a sterile way. It doesn't really matter how fair this negative impression of NSMB is, just as it didn't particularly matter with Zelda and 3D Mario. I think a shift along these lines would give the game 'presence' and word of mouth.

Strong level design and multiplayer would help drive that long term among an expanded audience but a fresh start for 2D Mario could get the ball rolling.

The problem with 2d Mario (and I will preface my opinion with the fact that nsmb Games are, imo, amazing from a gameplay perspective), is that they are not surprising.

It's an expected evolution, but they lack the surprise element of the retro entries. Raccoon and frog Mario? What? A new island? You get to ride a dinosaur? The game has a more puzzle-platformer focus?... You know what I mean. This where by the numbers sequels (Wii a bit less so because of the multiplayer introduction factor)

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017

Even though a complete refresh of 2D Mario would be exciting, I think the market could use a final NSMB; Whether it's a NMSBUDX or a final sequel. Not only did the series always perform (especially in Japan), but with Odyssey and Mario Maker not featuring multi-player, the series staple 4 player gaming would be well received on the Switch.

Spaceships

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would bank on them alternating Mario and Zelda every year until the system dies. This is a new Nintendo and they are shameless, and that's a good thing.

did you miss the insane popularity of Wii Sports Bowling? (and Golf)

I guess so. I played tons of Tennis. Not a bit of the other games. Tennis would be a good stand alone.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that could very well be the case. It probably would sell very well even as NSMB. I do think there is something to gain by refreshing 2D Mario but it would mostly be among enthusiasts and not the audience they want to entice with 2D Mario.

Status
Not open for further replies.