Do you think there will be a Switch Pro before the next Nintendo console?

• Yes, we will get the equivalent of a New 3DS.

Votes: 292 28.8%
  • No, the OLED was the final Nintendo Switch revision before Switch 2.

Votes: 519 51.2%
  • Why does everybody care what I think on this subject? We're all in the dark

Votes: 202 19.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
this will probably make me have to give up my nintendo fan card, but i never had a 3DS 😬

PracticalGrippingCanine-size_restricted.gif

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
So there's a new Ori retail combo wombo pack

Ori 1/2 are great games but they're also interesting to me because of the unique publishing situation of the games on Switch. I've long viewed any changes to the publishing arrangements for the second game as a potential canary for a shift in Microsoft's strategy toward the Switch, so whenever there's some sort of change with those games I raise my eyebrow a little.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
So there's a new Ori retail combo wombo pack

Ori 1/2 are great games but they're also interesting to me because of the unique publishing situation of the games on Switch. I've long viewed any changes to the publishing arrangements for the second game as a potential canary for a shift in Microsoft's strategy toward the Switch, so whenever there's some sort of change with those games I raise my eyebrow a little.

Out of curiosity, what changes were made? Is it iam8bit publishing the second game and the physical dual pack of the games?

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Out of curiosity, what changes were made? Is it iam8bit publishing the second game and the physical dual pack of the games?
Yup.

iam8bit previously published a limited edition physical copy of the first game, and a beautiful box set of both games together. So this isn't their first time distributing a physical copy of Ori 1, but I do sort of wonder if there's anything Microsoft is getting in exchange with this deal. This new set isn't really being marketed as a limited edition.

Suswave

Aug 11, 2020
Don't even get me started on the throat anus
I know 3D modeling is hard™ but what the fuck is going on in that mouth

after hating almost every other design in the game, my partner walked by while the Imprisoned was
hovering with the goth-ass halo of darkness
and said "oh shit that thing's cool" and I was like... the anus-clam muppet with the too-glossy teeth??

although I'm a traitor because it turns out I enjoyed the Imprisoned fights and feel they were spaced appropriately and varied enough to be fun

while we're talking about twists, I forgot that Ghirahim
is a fucking sword
and was for some reason pleasantly surprised by that plot point

also the final boss slaps SO HARD and wouldn't feel nearly as good without the motion controls / stick sword controls. It's so engaging and it feels like your movements really determine the fate of the world.

Edit: just saw that there are issues with ISPOILER for some, changed to SPOILER. Sorry!!

Last edited:

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Yup.

iam8bit previously published a limited edition physical copy of the first game, and a beautiful box set of both games together. So this isn't their first time distributing a physical copy of Ori 1, but I do sort of wonder if there's anything Microsoft is getting in exchange with this deal. This new set isn't really being marketed as a limited edition.

I don't think it means anything. Microsoft will still a cut of the profits but they don't have to put in the money and resources to do the publishing. It's rare to see a console manufacturer or even a big publisher hand off publishing duties to a smaller company but it does happen.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I always just saw it as Microsoft wanting to stay true to their word about not publishing any more Xbox games to Switch after Ori, so they licensed it out to iam8bit for the second game and what not.

Last edited:

hologram

Jun 30, 2020
Hi friends, could you please spoiler tag Skyward Sword spoilers using [ SPOILER] rather than [ ISPOILER]? The latter is unreliable (sometimes the text is just straight up visible) and I just had a plot point ruined. Thanks!

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
The Link in Twilight Princess having nipples, and the Link in Breath of the Wild not having nipples, is noteworthy for another reason. Just as we note that nipple shrinkage occurs over time (also witnessed in the previously cited case of the Goron species), we might, from this evidence, infer that the reverse is also true, and that earlier in time, Hylian nipples were correspondingly larger.

Yes, my friends: Skyward Sword Link has HUGE nipples.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
There it is, I finally reached the full capacity of my 400GB SD card with the trial of Two Point Hospital. Time to archive some stuff I guess.

Out of curiosity: Are you all digital, how many and what are some of the biggest games you have in size?

I've had a 200GB SD card since day 1 and I still havnt filled it despite having 60 or so digital games. I do buy physcal games when possible though.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
ISpoilers are worthless once you use something like a browser extension enabling dark mode or one built into the browser. :-/

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think it means anything. Microsoft will still a cut of the profits but they don't have to put in the money and resources to do the publishing. It's rare to see a console manufacturer or even a big publisher hand off publishing duties to a smaller company but it does happen.
I'm not saying it's a surefire smoking gun or anything, but it is a sign that the two companies are still talking and rearranging their shared stewardship of the series on Switch.

If, for example, Microsoft wanted to make a deal to acquire the digital distribution rights to Ori 2 on Switch for some reason, with iam8bit simply being the co-publisher for the physical editions in the way they are for basically every other game they deal with, this is exactly what I'd expect to see happen. A "permanent" iam8bit-produced retail collection of Ori 1 and 2 being introduced, and then, some months later, at the end of some fiscal quarter, the "Publisher" label for Ori 2 on the eShop changing to "Xbox Game Studios."

I didn't say it was convincing, just eyebrow-raising to me. That's why I likened it to a potential canary – a potential early sign that something had shifted beneath our feet.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
God damn it, I can't even store all my Switch games across a 400GB and a 128GB microSD and the Switch's internal storage. Shit. I've still got roughly 60GB in terms of game data left... Welp.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy how ARMS was dubbed a failure around here when it sold faster than the new Ratchet, on a even smaller install-base.

Some people don't want some games to succeed.

digi_era

Jul 21, 2020
Crazy how ARMS was dubbed a failure around here when it sold faster than the new Ratchet, on a even smaller install-base.

Wait is that true, ARMS sold better?

That's what I was wondering also by the way. We are literally in a state where you cannot even question whether an AAA game selling less thank 600K in 3 months is a huge success - if it is published by you know who.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017

It's because some people just love painting a fake narrative when it comes to something they don't like. What's crazy is that Ratchet is a platformer and an old IP so by that metric it should have an easier time selling than ARMS, which is a new IP and a fighting game.

Ratchet is seen as a success, but somehow when ARMS was released it was seen as some failure. It really goes to show how many felt the need to emphasize a false narrative during that period for that game or Switch in general.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I eanted to make a thread, but I know it would've let me to get permabanned, but what a way would it be lol

I don't think you would get permabanned for mentioning how ARMS was seen as a failure by some even though it sold just as well as Ratchet and Clank is doing currently.

It would show how overblown expectations for Nintendo were and how there were so many false narratives being spread around like Splatoon 2 being a port.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I don't think you would get permabanned for mentioning how ARMS was seen as a failure by some even though it sold just as well as Ratchet and Clank is doing currently.

It would show how overblown expectations for Nintendo were and how there were so many false narratives being spread around like Splatoon 2 being a port.
I meant, the thread name would be "why is Arms is considered a failure but Bloodborne is considered a wild success when they have sold around the same?"

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I think it would be considered console wars. I definitely wouldn't advise it.

But yeah, there is definitely a different level of expectations.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait is that true, ARMS sold better?

That's what I was wondering also by the way. We are literally in a state where you cannot even question whether an AAA game selling less thank 600K in 3 months is a huge success - if it is published by you know who.
ARMS sold 1.35 million in its first quarter, Ratchet is at 1.1 million in just under a month, so ARMS selling faster isn't accurate.

The game did end up legging it to about 2.38 million in the long haul, and this is setting aside that Nintendo games pretty much never get price cuts, which has cut the long-term legs off of several games in the past. Ratchet will easily be one of the PS5 evergreens but it's going to be on the back of aggressive bundling and a likely price drop by the end of this year.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
My favorite is that I said "no, Sony couldn't have walked away from the Housemarque acquisition two months before it was complete without any penalties, there's such a thing as breakup fees" and someone started arguing with me that there is no such thing.

Like, bruh. You're out of your depth.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
ARMS sold 1.35 million in its first quarter, Ratchet is at 1.1 million in just under a month, so ARMS selling faster isn't accurate.

The game did end up legging it to about 2.38 million in the long haul, and this is setting aside that Nintendo games pretty much never get price cuts, which has cut the long-term legs off of several games in the past. Ratchet will easily be one of the PS5 evergreens but it's going to be on the back of aggressive bundling and a likely price drop by the end of this year.
Arms released in June, so it would've had the same time in the market when the sales are reported.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Arms released in June, so it would've had the same time in the market when the sales are reported.
I take back the first part of what I posted then, I got my quarters mixed up.

But yeah, I expect Ratchet to easily sell much more in the long term anyway because of Sony's sales strategy.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Out of curiosity: Are you all digital, how many and what are some of the biggest games you have in size?

I've had a 200GB SD card since day 1 and I still havnt filled it despite having 60 or so digital games. I do buy physcal games when possible though.
I have 90 digital, 18 physical. Most of them are less than a gigabyte, but indeed games like Borderlands 2, Diablo and the Bioshocks tend to clog the SD card quickly

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

ARMS sold 1.18m units in its first two weeks. It launched at the end of the quarter (mid-June). Ratchet did 1.1m in one month.

Both are success.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Who cares about console war nonsense.

let's talk about what actually matters and it's how those Pixel remasters soundtrack are pretty amazing.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Or how Returnal is considered a success in selling 500K+, but somehow ARMS sales was seen as a failure lol. It really shows how different expectations are for Nintendo.

Don't get me wrong I see Returnal as a huge win for Housemarque, but I just find it funny how overly negative people were in regards to the Switch.

I think it would be considered console wars. I definitely wouldn't advise it.

But yeah, there is definitely a different level of expectations.

I honestly don't see it as console wars for the sole fact you are emphasizing the difference in expectations. People's expectations for Nintendo were overblown to the point where a new IP selling over 2 million is considered a failure. Whereas for someone else it would be an incredible success.

Heck if we go by other publishers like Namco where they have multiple skus and together selling over a million to them is a success for a Jrpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.