• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Now that i have had a whole day to let this simmer, am i the only thinking about actually ordering this system even though i primarily play in dock?
Plenty of people, millions, will buy the system, obviously that more than one person who play 100% docked will bite into it.

And for that reason alone I think Nintendo doesn't see the need for a premium more powerful device. They could easily sold this one for $200 and they decided to price it $350 and millions will buy it.

Plenty of people may be enraged by that but they are not selling that to them.

NintenDuvo08

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah going to doctor appointments and check ups for my car, i noticed how much more useful the new switch would be when it comes to killing time

Oct 25, 2017
Plenty of people, millions, will buy the system, obviously that more than one person who play 100% docked will bite into it.

And for that reason alone I think Nintendo doesn't see the need for a premium more powerful device. They could easily sold this one for $200 and they decided to price it $350 and millions will buy it.

Plenty of people may be enraged by that but they are not selling that to them.
It would be scalped to high heavens at $200. I don't expect the 350 price to last forever, but in the era of shortages and scalping I'm fine with Nintendo making a higher cut at the expense of the inevitable scalping.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
So if the Ethernet port is in the back, whatever happened to that "USB 3.0 support is planned in the future" talk? It's even still up on the site for the current model.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Where do most people have their modem, if not in their living room where cable TV would've come in?

You may be right though, but then why bother adding an ethernet port? Besides, if I was going to buy cloud streaming games I'd be more likely to go out of my way to use a wired connection.
Idk, I run a wired network switch in my entertainment center for wired connections to my TV and PC, but I'm the only person I know IRL who does. Most folks just use wifi for everything.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
It would be scalped to high heavens at $200. I don't expect the 350 price to last forever, but in the era of shortages and scalping I'm fine with Nintendo making a higher cut at the expense of the inevitable scalping.
Nintendo DID NOT decided on that price to fight scalpers lol but I get what you are saying even thought pricing it that way isn't exactly helping the end costumers.

I am not a business mayor or run any business like Nintendo's but in my opinion putting $50 more onto it is making it hard for even more millions of people to buy it, and what you should want is people with access to your ecosystem which brings you money with the NSO subscriptions and every sale of any games, especially yours, the first parties.

Don't get me wrong, I have said plenty of times in this very thread that I am 100% sure that this system will sell million of units, I am just surprised that this isn't $300 while de V2 model is $250.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where do most people have their modem, if not in their living room where cable TV would've come in?

You may be right though, but then why bother adding an ethernet port? Besides, if I was going to buy cloud streaming games I'd be more likely to go out of my way to use a wired connection.
I can't answer that. they'll pick whatever is the best position for everyone. our modem is on one side of the house, which hits all the way to the other side without too much loss.

as for why, it's probably a "including the kitchen sink" sorta deal. it's cheap and they want to add whatever they can to entice people to buy it

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

Mine is coming in through what we've designated as an "office" space where my wife & I's desks and computers would be.

Though it's primarily because this is where a DSL drop was previously in the house we purchased and it was easiest for the AT&T tech to use that existing wiring to pull through the fiber we use now.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

My modem is in my laundry room

MegaMetroid

Alt-Account
Banned
May 16, 2021
They could have just called this Nintendo switch V3 and be done with it. There's really no other reason for this to exist in other context besides selling oled screens.

Also the most disappointing aspect is that for once Nintendo would actually release something cutting edge with dlss, but now by the time they release anything it will probably be outdated tech wise....again.

Last edited:

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo DID NOT decided on that price to fight scalpers lol but I get what you are saying even thought pricing it that way isn't exactly helping the end costumers.

I am not a business mayor or run any business like Nintendo's but in my opinion putting $50 more onto it is making it hard for even more millions of people to buy it, and what you should want is people with access to your ecosystem which brings you money with the NSO subscriptions and every sale of any games, especially yours, the first parties.

Don't get me wrong, I have said plenty of times in this very thread that I am 100% sure that this system will sell million of units, I am just surprised that this isn't $300 while de V2 model is $250.
Agreed, this is not some stealth method to prevent scalping.

I dont know what's driving the pricing strategy, if its a higher BOM or the thought is that they can sustain sales at $350 while the V2 model still exists.

Maybe one of the console companies could encourage something like Gamestop's latest gimmick for pro-memberships to purchase units or outright auction units off themselves (maybe give the proceeds to charity). Other than PR, how is running such an operation beneficial to the company? In a weird way, someone willing to pay that much for a console is probably willing to spend on the console software too.

DoctorChimp

Oct 6, 2020
Texas yall
So insiders are saying 2022-2023 for the "Switch Pro" now? You know, eventually, they will be right...

Anyway, since this has the same internals as the current Switch but is marketed as a premium device, is there a possibility that it will run on higher clocks? Or is the performance expected to be verbatim to the current Switch?

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017
They could have just called this Nintendo switch V3 and be done with it. There's really no other reason for this to exist in other context besides selling oled screens.

Also the most disappointing aspect is that for once Nintendo would actually release something cutting edge with dlss, but now by the time they release anything it will probably be outdated tech wise....again.

Oh, yeah. I fully expect Nvidia to hit the market first (this calendar year) with their new DLSS capable mobile chips. It'll probably be in a Shield by year's end, then a variation of it will come to Switch later.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

they'll use what Nvidia builds for them. right now that's an orin derived chip called Dane. the next SoC base will be Atlan in 2025. when this releases, this system will still be the latest available from Nvidia

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
So insiders are saying 2022-2023 for the "Switch Pro" now? You know, eventually, they will be right...

Anyway, since this has the same internals as the current Switch but is marketed as a premium device, is there a possibility that it will run on higher clocks? Or is the performance expected to be verbatim to the current Switch?

Nintendo has confirmed they are identical apart from screen, stand, and speakers.

I don't belive there will be a Switch Pro. The leaked specs are probably accurate but they are for the Switch 2.

Oct 12, 2020
Of course, they will. Because something "outdated" is also cheap. It is known that Nintendo doesn't want to win the tech war, they want to sell a product, which hits the sweet spot between technical interesting and cheap enough for a casual audience and can run their games. Not of this is a surprise.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Insiders were saying that new hardware was debuting soon and launching this year. Insiders were saying that 4K devkits are in the wild (though not finalized) and some exclusive software is in the works with a 2022 target.

It was Bloomberg that said it was the 4K Switch was coming soon. Some folks, especially in the hardware thread, were trying to rectify how hardware could be ready to go this year, but not yet finalized. The timelines were tight, but not-impossible assuming a target hardware baseline mid year.

Its fun to speculate in the thread, though as you can see its easy to draw the wrong conclusion from available info, though I was confused how Nintendo was using OLED screens from earlier this year.

Also, the listed specs imply no change in clocks. There is some question about why the AULA model in firmware was referencing a 4K compatible dock, but the listed specs say 1080p output. Offering in Switch/dock upscaling to 4K would presumably be listed.

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has confirmed they are identical apart from screen, stand, and speakers.

I don't belive there will be a Switch Pro. The leaked specs are probably accurate but they are for the Switch 2.

Imo, there's never really been an actual difference between pro and switch 2. Both will likely play the same games for a while, then they will start becoming exclusive to the new model.

Plasmid

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imo, there's never really been an actual difference between pro and switch 2. Both will likely play the same games for a while, then they will start becoming exclusive to the new model.

Right but a switch 2 can have a 7 year life span and a mid life refresh, you can't do the switch for 13 years even with a refresh.

DoctorChimp

Oct 6, 2020
Texas yall

I agree, whatever this new device is will be the successor.
That is a big shame, however. Least they could do is up the clocks a smidgen for a better performance, make this an easy buy. I want to get a new Switch, but I find it hard to spend extra on something that isn't even an improvement outside of the display.

Insiders were saying that new hardware was debuting soon and launching this year. Insiders were saying that 4K devkits are in the wild (though not finalized) and some exclusive software is in the works with a 2022 target.

It was Bloomberg that said it was the 4K Switch was coming soon. Some folks, especially in the hardware thread, were trying to rectify how hardware could be ready to go this year, but not yet finalized. The timelines were tight, but not-impossible assuming a target hardware baseline mid year.

Its fun to speculate in the thread, though as you can see its easy to draw the wrong conclusion from available info, though I was confused how Nintendo was using OLED screens from earlier this year.

Also, the listed specs imply no change in clocks. There is some question about why the AULA model in firmware was referencing a 4K compatible dock, but the listed specs say 1080p output. Offering in Switch/dock upscaling to 4K would presumably be listed.
I remember insiders specifically saying this fiscal year before the Bloomberg article dropped that everyone hopped on. Which is now until March 2022. I'm not going to go digging up old posts and naming names, but the tune has been changed to 2022-2023 now. I'd say that's moving goal posts a bit. If you keep backpedaling and extending the dates you're gonna be right at some point. To be fair, there are a few more credible folk that touched up on the subject that had a hard time seeing a release for it this year. They still stand by their word and I appreciate it.

In any case, has Bloomberg talked about this recent revelation yet or are they radio silent?

Oct 25, 2017

They didn't do it to fight scalpers, but seeing widespread scalping going on is a sure way to tell that your MSRP is under what the market will pay for something in practice.

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
I have my switched docked and connected to an OLED. I use a usb to ethernet adapter for network. I haven't really been committed to a game on that system since Animal Crossing came. This isn't for me. I may have considered a "pro" model if it meant significant differences for upcoming titles like BotW 2.

Jun 19, 2020
Raleigh, NC
There's something a bit incongruous with this model. The update is almost entirely for the benefit of handheld players, with an improved screen and speakers. I believe Nintendo's own stats have shown that the player base is pretty evenly split between mostly handheld, mostly docked, and an even use of both. I read that statistic a long time ago, before the Switch Lite, so maybe those numbers have changed. But roughly 2/3 of the Switch audience is using handheld mode a lot, so focusing on that makes sense.

But if this particular SKU is geared towards handheld play, why include the upgraded dock with ethernet? Do they anticipate more cloud versions of games, or some other reason to need more stable internet?

Also, 2/3 of the Switch audience is also using the system in docked mode substantially. Why hasn't Nintendo released a Switch model without the screen, speakers or battery? If the Switch Lite can't dock, the Switchcast can't go portable. It seems a fair trade that could be relatively cheap to produce, and they could play to strengths there by including more native storage or connecting to an external hard drive.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
There's something a bit incongruous with this model. The update is almost entirely for the benefit of handheld players, with an improved screen and speakers. I believe Nintendo's own stats have shown that the player base is pretty evenly split between mostly handheld, mostly docked, and an even use of both. I read that statistic a long time ago, before the Switch Lite, so maybe those numbers have changed. But roughly 2/3 of the Switch audience is using handheld mode a lot, so focusing on that makes sense.

But if this particular SKU is geared towards handheld play, why include the upgraded dock with ethernet? Do they anticipate more cloud versions of games, or some other reason to need more stable internet?

Also, 2/3 of the Switch audience is also using the system in docked mode substantially. Why hasn't Nintendo released a Switch model without the screen, speakers or battery? If the Switch Lite can't dock, the Switchcast can't go portable. It seems a fair trade that could be relatively cheap to produce, and they could play to strengths there by including more native storage or connecting to an external hard drive.
It isn't out of character for Nintendo to release an updated device with mostly external aesthetic changes. It's happened with every device except the Wii U and Virtual Boy. For example the XL units "only" offered a larger screen.

The lan port may have just been the right folks were in the room to make the call when baselining the design, having an internal USB port that is basically there for an ethernet adapter was weird decision originally (though the same one made on the Wii and Wii U), the price difference between the two must have been relatively miniscule.

Last edited:

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
well at least now i don't feel so bad about buying my newer model back in 2019 , this is nice if you dont own one but no way needed to upgrade ,shame.

thought all the big selling points were for the focus of being docked but it was handheld the whole time!

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a good spot to jump in? I know almost nothing about switch but isn't the base model like 300 anyway? I guess getting one day 1 might be impossible though?

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a good spot to jump in? I know almost nothing about switch but isn't the base model like 300 anyway? I guess getting one day 1 might be impossible though?

If you don't have a Switch yet and want it, you might as well wait for these ones. It's not that big of a difference between the ones out now but I think you'll appreciate it more especially if you plan to use it in handheld mode a lot.

Kongo B

Sep 8, 2019
Europe
This doesn't make any sense. It's black and white with the Joycons and the device itself, that would just be purely white. This would have made more sense for the Wii.

Yeah forget the black, that white ain't... white white. It's kinda pearly white.

I hate to be that guy, but they are cum colored.

Just wanna say that I'm not serious at all, but the idea cracks me up.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Another reason that will make me pass this one is that OLED just isn't for me.

I mean, it's gorgeous, but I'm literally typing this on my AMOLED phone screen that is currently divided in half with two different shades of colors due to burn it (it got burned watching YouTube, the line coincides with the lower border of the videos when watching in portrait mode).

I can't deal with it in my videogames.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
All of the threads about Switch OLED make me feel like I am the only person in the world who plays primarily handheld and almost never docked. I'm really surprised how many people are saying they never use handheld mode!

The only times I generally dock are if I'm playing multiplayer splitscreen, streaming, or if I just want to pop it into the dock for a minute to see how a particular game looks/runs outside of handheld mode.

But yeah, to all of the people saying "who is this even for?" - I think it might be me, lol. I do think I'll need to see one of these in person before I decide to go in on one. The screen being larger but still 720p gives me some hesitation - I want to make sure that it isn't noticeably blurrier. I do kinda want to replace my Switch and give my boyfriend my old one though, since he doesn't have one yet.

Oct 29, 2017

I agree, and my conclusion is that it's a scattered collection of minor upgrades to justify a $50 price hike, which is what Nintendo's truly after. The product in and of itself doesn't have a cohesive message, like you said. "Here's a better screen for when you play portable, where the image quality is at its worst for most games. Also here's a marginally better dock where you can't use the OLED" it's in service of neither the docked mode nor the portable mode.

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
This seems to be the DS Lite upgrade. We will maybe experience a DSi upgrade, albeit, it would maybe be a bit outdated when released.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
All of the threads about Switch OLED make me feel like I am the only person in the world who plays primarily handheld and almost never docked. I'm really surprised how many people are saying they never use handheld mode!

The only times I generally dock are if I'm playing multiplayer splitscreen, streaming, or if I just want to pop it into the dock for a minute to see how a particular game looks/runs outside of handheld mode.

But yeah, to all of the people saying "who is this even for?" - I think it might be me, lol. I do think I'll need to see one of these in person before I decide to go in on one. The screen being larger but still 720p gives me some hesitation - I want to make sure that it isn't noticeably blurrier. I do kinda want to replace my Switch and give my boyfriend my old one though, since he doesn't have one yet.
I play mostly handheld. I have the switch with the better battery. I'd get this if I can sell mine for a decent amount but it would suck if they turned around and released switch 2 next year.

Oct 28, 2017
Should I expect 2D games to look significantly better than on the Lite? Like the Ori's and Hollow Knights of the world...

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Should I expect 2D games to look significantly better than on the Lite? Like the Ori's and Hollow Knights of the world...
Sure, colors will pop a lot more and it'll have deeper blacks.

It will definitely be less sharp than the current display though as they're increasing the screen size but keeping the same resolution.

Honestly, I don't understand the point of this upgrade at all - if there's anything the standard Switch had that was actually kind of decent it was the IPS panel, no one complained about that as far as I know.

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't have a Switch yet and want it, you might as well wait for these ones. It's not that big of a difference between the ones out now but I think you'll appreciate it more especially if you plan to use it in handheld mode a lot.

Yeah, probably handheld a lot. I might just buy it preowned from someone I know. Well, a switch lite anyway.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Damn I had to go a few pages back to find this thread, pretty wild when it was just announced yesterday

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
It's unfortunate that information about this system and Switch 2 seems to have gotten mixed together, but even on the systems' own merits, it's kind of a weird value proposition. OLED is really the main selling point, but honestly it's kind of a downgrade as far as I'm concerned, because of burn-in. The other features are kind of a weird grab bag, especially the new dock. The system feels like it must either be a way to do some price adjustment and/or a way to update some components to be in line with Switch 2.

I'll be particularly interested in seeing a tear down of the dock. May end up picking up one of those standalone to reduce the need for dongles.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
The good news is, this seems to make it more likely that BotW 2's release won't be tied to new hardware. Yay!

The bad news is, BotW 2 may still be so far away it'll end up being delayed to co-release on Switch and Switch 2.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
a7ypjwp.jpg

Truckondo

Oct 25, 2017
Garden Grove, CA
It's unfortunate that information about this system and Switch 2 seems to have gotten mixed together, but even on the systems' own merits, it's kind of a weird value proposition. OLED is really the main selling point, but honestly it's kind of a downgrade as far as I'm concerned, because of burn-in. The other features are kind of a weird grab bag, especially the new dock. The system feels like it must either be a way to do some price adjustment and/or a way to update some components to be in line with Switch 2.

I'll be particularly interested in seeing a tear down of the dock. May end up picking up one of those standalone to reduce the need for dongles.

My iPhone has an OLED screen with no issues. The best gaming TV I have read about happens to be an OLED as well. Since the Switch is a dedicated console it should have protections in place to prevent it.