Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Is it just me or is there more clipping in Mario 64? First person camera kinda clips through ground and such.

Oct 25, 2017
Despite all the shit I said, that I firmly stand by, I could've gone for a 3 month sub that would scratch the N64 itch and allow me to move on without spending or committing too much, but they are firmly "you're either in for a year or out, join or fuck off".

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
This "discount" shit they're doing is ridiculous since you can't upgrade your sub for the rest of the term that you currently have. $40.24 is the discount I was offered since my sub ends 5/7, so I'm still paying the $50 to extend the sub to 10/25 with just under $10 of the current sub adding to that.

I'd have upgraded if it just went to 5/7 to try it out, but I'm not putting down $40 for this Expansion Pack when I don't really care about most of the N64 and Genesis games that are being offered.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
These controls just aint doing it for me in any game that I've tried. I need my N64 controller to get here soon. Guess I'll play Genesis until then.

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
Can you remap the buttons? I am not sure why Nintendo insists post SNES that mapping BA to BA works and not the superior YB. It might be a me problem, but them mapping directly to the same named buttons in the diamond configuration doesn't work for me mentally. It's a physical memory thing to have my thumb resting on an upward slant for the more frequently used action buttons.

If they insist on keeping "A" in that position, they really should have mapped a second "B" above "A" (the "X" button) to keep the alignment.

Oct 25, 2017
This "discount" shit they're doing is ridiculous since you can't upgrade your sub for the rest of the term that you currently have. $40.24 is the discount I was offered since my sub ends 5/7, so I'm still paying the $50 to extend the sub to 10/25 with just under $10 of the current sub adding to that.

I'd have upgraded if it just went to 5/7 to try it out, but I'm not putting down $40 for this Expansion Pack when I don't really care about most of the N64 and Genesis games that are being offered.
That's what gets me. I literally just want to play Mario Kart 64. Been staring at $48 at my screen for an hour.

Deleted member 18847

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very impressed with the quality of the N64 controller. Nice that both NA and EU roms are included.

I don't think the emulator is quite up to scratch though. Played Mario 64 and Kart and noticed some performance/frametime issues. I fired up my actual N64 with Kart and it was smoother on original hardware. Have also noticed some textures in Kart are not bilinear filtered whereas they are on original hardware.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Downloaded the Mega Drive & JPN N64 for the hell of it just to see if they get anything unique in the future. Weirdly, the only difference is that Dr. Mario 64 is not part of the Japanese lineup.

Anyways, can't wait to replay S&P but portable now after all these years (though trying the tutorial, I may have to use my pro controller to make it feel a bit better). I remember that being the game that convinced me to get a classic controller on the Wii & this mysterious "never localized" Treasure game to me back as a teen. Man, I should replay the Wii version someday as well.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Okay, initial datamining time. There are at least 38 N64 games planned for the service.

t6OH7xo.png

They're listed alphabetically, so you could try to guess which games fall into the gaps. I'm certain #37 is Majora's Mask and 14-16 are Mario Party 1-3, for example.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Ah man, thanks everyone who has posted impressions, some very disappointing drawbacks to this 😟

I don't think the emulator is quite up to scratch though. Played Mario 64 and Kart and noticed some performance/frametime issues. I fired up my actual N64 with Kart and it was smoother on original hardware. Have also noticed some textures in Kart are not bilinear filtered whereas they are on original hardware.

Ah damn, that does add up if it's using the same emulator as in 3D All Stars, that had frame pacing issues also which immediately jumped out to me when trying it

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
I have a friend who is on an original family plan with her son, and I want them to join my premium one. What is the easiest way to accomplish this since it says members currently on one family plan can't be invited to a new one?

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
My current sub ends in 12/2023. When I clicked on the Expansion it said it would charge me $10ish. Will it give me a year of the Expansion and keep my sub end time on 12/2023?

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I split a family membership 8 ways with my friends so I am feeling alright about this service. Played about an hour of Mario Tennis doubles with my girlfriend and had a great time.

We would all be buying the Animal Crossing expansion anyway, so this was a great deal for us.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't know if it's the emulation or the controls but Mario 64 just doesn't feel quite right, he doesn't turn corners like he should. Climbing the mountain in Bob-Omb Battlefield was more difficult than it should be.

prateeko

Oct 26, 2017
Welp, I had a family plan subbed out to 10/10/23. Quickly upgraded assuming everything would be fine and only one year would get the expansion. Paid $15 and now my total plan ends 10/25/22. So there goes that extra year and not clear why I paid more...

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Downloaded the Mega Drive & JPN N64 for the hell of it just to see if they get anything unique in the future. Weirdly, the only difference is that Dr. Mario 64 is not part of the Japanese lineup.

Anyways, can't wait to replay S&P but portable now after all these years (though trying the tutorial, I may have to use my pro controller to make it feel a bit better). I remember that being the game that convinced me to get a classic controller on the Wii & this mysterious "never localized" Treasure game to me back as a teen. Man, I should replay the Wii version someday as well.
That game didn't came out in Japan for the N64 and as such doesn't have a japanese localization for that console. It came out on the Gamecube though, is kind of like reverse Animal Corssing.

Kolma

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Welp, I had a family plan subbed out to 10/10/23. Quickly upgraded assuming everything would be fine and only one year would get the expansion. Paid $15 and now my total plan ends 10/25/22. So there goes that extra year and not clear why I paid more...
Because 80(full year of expansion)-35(full year of regular)-30(prorated year of what you had left of regular) = 15

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
I wondered by the wording on the eShop site. I'm glad I came in to look into this.

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, initial datamining time. There are at least 38 N64 games planned for the service.

t6OH7xo.png

They're listed alphabetically, so you could try to guess which games fall into the gaps. I'm certain #37 is Majora's Mask and 14-16 are Mario Party 1-3, for example.

Gotta think 32 and 33 are Super Smash Bros and Wave Race.

One of those better be Wave Race, at least. Or else.

Baroni

Oct 25, 2017
My first Online Mario Kart session was pretty damn laggy, though granted I only have an OK wifi connection. Could be my fault.

Can't wait to play online Super Smash Bros. in 2 years.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
it said it would just convert everything at .09 a day that was left, and if your sub was beyond that you wouldn't be refunded. So just be glad your plan wasn't beyond the point where your upgrade would've been free and you lost value.

as for why your extra year is gone and why you paid more, you had enough days left at that rate to drop the price of a year from $80 to $15. Your plan is now just for that year because that's what you paid for.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017

t6OH7xo.png

32 and 33 would have to be Super Smash Bros and Wave Race 64, if you we were to go by this scheme

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Similar situation. I think they applied the discount to the whole first year….maybe? $15 seems too low to upgrade from a $35->$80 plan. Not sure how they got to $15 though. It was very unclear. Not thrilled how it played out.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Alright, signed up for the new Expansion pak. Came to $63.99 CDN in Canada. So what game should I play first, ERA.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

t6OH7xo.png

From the previously announced games...
1-6 include Banjo Kazooie
8-12 include F-Zero X, Kirby 64, Mario Golf
18-29 include Paper Mario, Pokemon Snap

That leaves 22 games unconfirmed.

1-6 probably includes Banjo Tooie, Diddy Kong Racing, and DK 64. Blast Corps is a possibility I suppose, but I'd bet no. 1080 is probably more likely than not in this group but hard to know. Maybe one of the Cruis'n games?
8-12... maybe Glover? Excitebike 64 is likely. Goldeneye, Jet Force Gemini, and Killer Instinct would fit here but my hunch is only the Rare games closely associated with Nintendo will make it over.
18-29 will probably include Pokemon Stadium or Pokemon Stadium 2 (I'd guess only one of the games, not both). Maybe Pokemon Puzzle League since there aren't any other likely puzzle games for the N64. Also Pilotwings 64
32 & 33 has 3 candidates. Super Smash Bros, Wave Race 64, or 1080 Snowboarding. Depending on how they alphabetized it, 1080 could be #1 or #32-33.
35 is without a doubt Wonder Project J2 for Japan only

It deconfirms a couple titles too. No Snowboard Kids

Last edited:

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
yeah this is really awesome, really enjoying it so far. was nervous reading through the thread but the colors look good to me and i don't notice any input lag either but i'm sure that varies person to person or whatever. sound is fine too. reading through the replies i was expecting a trash fire or something

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Hmm, 35 would have to be a WWF or Wipeout 64?

I guess Worms or World Driver Championship are also vague possibilities? Or Wonder Project J2, somehow.

Also worth remembering that they might alphabetize things oddly, like how the Zelda games are at the bottom here, ignoring the "Legend" part. Not sure if that would allow anything else to fit in.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
From the previously announced games...
1-6 include Banjo Kazooie
8-12 include F-Zero X, Kirby 64, Mario Golf
18-29 include Paper Mario, Pokemon Snap

That leaves 22 games unconfirmed.

1-6 probably includes Banjo Tooie, Diddy Kong Racing, DK 64, and Excitebike. Blast Corps is a possibility I suppose, but I'd bet no. 1080 is probably more likely than not in this group but hard to know.
8-12... maybe Glover? Goldeneye, Jet Force Gemini, and Killer Instinct would fit here but my hunch is only the Rare games closely associated with Nintendo will make it over.
18-29 will probably include Pokemon Stadium or Pokemon Stadium 2 (I'd guess only one of the games, not both). Maybe Pokemon Puzzle League since there aren't any other likely puzzle games for the N64. Also Pilotwings 64
32 & 33 has 3 candidates. Super Smash Bros, Wave Race 64, or 1080 Snowboarding. Depending on how they alphabetized it, 1080 could be #1 or #32-33.
35 is without a doubt Wonder Project J2 for Japan only

It deconfirms a couple titles too. No Snowboard Kids
12 is totally Mario Golf; but I think 8-12 will be Excitebike, F-Zero, Harvest Moon and Kirby 64.

Keep in mind though, they can add games outside of alphabetical order in IDs following OoT; SNES games were initially added in alphabetical order and then randomly afterwards.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
yeah this is really awesome, really enjoying it so far. was nervous reading through the thread but the colors look good to me and i don't notice any input lag either but i'm sure that varies person to person or whatever. sound is fine too. reading through the replies i was expecting a trash fire or something
Colors are perfect. Framerate and input latency seems smooth too. And of course it's all higher rez.

This is awesome so far.