• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
A damn shame

• Lisa Brandon's sons Free and Aaron Jaggi, 41 and 35, died within a day of each other due to COVID-19.
  • Brandon told News4Jax that her sons refused to get vaccinated.
  • Brandon got sick at the same time as her sons, but credits her milder case with having gotten vaccinated.
A Florida mom lost two sons to COVID-19 within 12 hours of each other after they failed to get vaccinated.

Lisa Brandon told News4Jax that she and her sons Aaron Jaggi, 35, and Free Jaggi, 41, who lived with her, got sick with COVID-19 in late July.

While Brandon got better, both of her sons got worse and had to be hospitalized and eventually put on ventilators after developing double pneumonia. Free died on August 12, followed by his brother just hours later on August 13.

Now their mom is speaking out in and hopes that her story will drive others to get vaccinated.

"It's a parent's worst nightmare," Brandon told News4Jax. "The only reason I'm doing this is to put the word out to please get vaccinated."

Brandon credits having gotten the Moderna vaccine herself with her milder case and said she believes her sons "would be alive today if they would have gotten their shot."

"They wouldn't have gotten it as bad. I wish I could have made them do it. And now it's too late," Brandon told News4Jax.

news.yahoo.com

A Florida mom lost her 2 sons to COVID-19 in the span of 12 hours after they refused to get the vaccine

Lisa Brandon lived with her sons and all three got COVID-19 in late July. She credits having gotten the Moderna vaccine with her more mild case.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
Delta has different symptoms than the OG strains.
The smell and taste thing isn't really common anymore with it.
Headaches, common cold like symptoms, sniffles and sinus troubles are more common symptoms now.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I had not heard this. Was there a study done?
I haven't seen something authoritative on it either, but I'd be curious if there were. About the only thing I have heard is more common with Delta over other variants is a runny nose.

For me the bottom line is anyone who's got any cold or flu symptoms at all should be getting a test. Even just a quick rapid test can be useful in that situation.

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

I still cannot believe we had people on here claiming this wave wouldn't be as bad.

I'm not sure I ever posted anything on here, but I didn't think it would be this bad again. Not with 75% of Covid deaths in ages 65 and up, and very high vaccination rates among that population. (Florida is at 87% fully vaxxed for ages 65+)
Obviously I was wrong.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU

I had not heard this. Was there a study done?

I'm not sure if there's been actual studies about it, but it's been widely discussed during these last weeks, and a lot of anectotal evidence.
This article covers it pretty well https://www.wbrc.com/2021/08/11/doc...erent-symptoms-than-original-covid-19-strain/

Like already mentioned, ANY upper respiratory symptom these days is suspicious for Covid but with Delta some symptoms seem to appear a lot more than the "classical" telltale signs of the OG strains

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
Businesses in Orlando (Besides Theme parks) have dropped mask requirement and Plexieglass.

For the past week I've been feeling like shit with coughs, fatigue, headaches and just yesterday started feeling something in my throat yesterday
That sounds like it could be covid to be fair. I'm a contact tracer in the UK and they're all common delta symptoms. You should get a test ASAP just in case

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
There are plenty of people getting it already. Of course that means lying and saying your immune compromised or saying it's your first or second dose. Our neighbors are physicians who both got their 3rd shot due to being vaccinated in late December and are not waiting until Sept 20 date. My wife knows several at her hospital who have done the same thing as many were vaccinated beginning of January. I can't really get on the judgement train this point, people are doing what they think is necessary to be safe
My Dad definitely wouldn't go that route. He'll probably just wait out the 8 months unless the CDC authorizes boosters sooner than 8 months for elderly. I really wish they would tho, when they are putting out guidance like this: https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...ates-guidance-high-risk-travelers/8218346002/

They clearly do believe older adults are at a higher risk even while vaccinated, so I don't really understand the logic in making them wait any longer for a booster at this point.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+1477 new PCR cases (937187 total)
+2 deaths (24031 total)

Total fully vaccinated 5482941
Rate of transmission is 1.25
927 people in hospitals
187 ICU
85 on ventilators

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Well, I'm pissed.

Just found out my unvaccinated brother got Covid in July. Now my unvaccinated mother has it, my father is sick (he's at least vaccinated), and my unvaccinated grandmother lives with them. While I'm glad they seem to be okay, I'm upset because regardless of my efforts over the months, they still refuse to get vaccinated and has now been sick for a week. I already told them I'm not travelling to Florida any time soon and now I hope I won't have to in the near future.

DeeDubs

Oct 28, 2017
A nearby school system is apparently meeting this week to vote on removing contact tracing in order to have less kids out from being quarantined. Due to our idiot of a governor in TN we are unable to go remote this year unless it is declared a state of emergency. Guess that's one way to fix it huh. Exciting times in the south...

Meanwhile in our district, we have 70 confirmed cases and around 600 quarantined after the first full week.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018

I still cannot believe we had people on here claiming this wave wouldn't be as bad.

As bad in what way? Nationwide we're not nearly as bad in cases or deaths yet as the fall wave. Nowhere close on death. Many states are doing relatively fine all things considered and many seem to already be leveling off. It's really bad in states that have taken no precautions and have poor vaccination rates. But overall that's still relatively true.

Nov 13, 2017
Getting my booster tomorrow. It's Moderna. I got my second dose of AstraZeneca back in December 2020.

I'm seriously stressed about the Moderna side effects. I've heard wicked things. My first dose of AZ had terrible side effects (high fever, chills, heart palpitations) but my second dose had none.

Hoping Moderna doesn't get too hard on me 🥲

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Getting my booster tomorrow. It's Moderna. I got my second dose of AstraZeneca back in December 2020.

I'm seriously stressed about the Moderna side effects. I've heard wicked things. My first dose of AZ had terrible side effects (high fever, chills, heart palpitations) but my second dose had none.

I had slight aches for a few hours with my first Moderna and then absolutely nothing from my second shot.

As bad in what way? Nationwide we're not nearly as bad in cases or deaths yet as the fall wave. Nowhere close on death. Many states are doing relatively fine all things considered and many seem to already be leveling off. It's really bad in states that have taken no precautions and have poor vaccination rates. But overall that's still relatively true.

People were arguing it wouldn't be as bad anywhere in the country because of vaccines. It's clearly worse now in Florida and going to be worse in other states as well. We even had people arguing against wearing masks.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Just your daily reminder that antivaxers suck, and dont deserve your empathy as they are harming others by the choices they dont have to make.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017

he doesn't want to hear that though and enjoys cherry picking bullshit to make everyone think the usa is going to collapse. Despite all metrics telling us that we are no where close to heading to a "worse wave" he likes to drive by post and say we're all wrong and don't take anything seriously. To your point total and per capita for cases, hospitalizations and deaths are still way down. Certain states are already peaking (see Missouri). But nope we're all pieces of shit because we "keep downplaying the virus" even though science and pure logic would tell you there's no fucking way the us can even approach the peaks of the previous waves as it relates to deaths.

Is Florida doing worse? Yup. No one ever questioned that. A year from now I wouldn't be surprised if other pockets of the us experience their worst wave just because of how this will evolve. When I pushed back and told him deaths mathematically cannot reach the peaks we had seen (unless of course if a new variant emerges or vaccines stop working) he moved the goal posts and said "worst" wave should be classified now because more kids are getting sick. What the fuck? Don't engage with him. He's a waste of time.

if it were up to him no one would ever leave their house again.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
According to Worldometer the US number of cases has been down from a week earlier for the last two days, and down fairly dramatically. Obviously with weekends the numbers are artificially deflated anyway, but it may be an encouraging sign. The new few days should tell us if those are just outliers or if we can start to see a downward trend.
www.worldometers.info

United States COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

United States Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
According to Worldometer the US number of cases has been down from a week earlier for the last two days, and down fairly dramatically. Obviously with weekends the numbers are artificially deflated anyway, but it may be an encouraging sign. The new few days should tell us if those are just outliers or if we can start to see a downward trend.
www.worldometers.info

United States COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

United States Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.

Its possibly a good sign, but also worth pointing out that a lot of states that don't report on the weekend do report their weekend numbers retroactively and Worldometers retroactively adds them to those days. So those states' numbers for last weekend will already be in there but for this weekend won't be yet. That includes many of the worst hit states, like Florida. Could we be down week over week? Ya, just looking at what some states that did report are showing I'd say that's very possible. It definitely won't end up being anywhere near to the degree that it is now though.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Its possibly a good sign, but also worth pointing out that a lot of states that don't report on the weekend do report their weekend numbers retroactively and Worldometers retroactively adds them to those days. So those states' numbers for last weekend will already be in there but for this weekend won't be yet. That includes many of the worst hit states, like Florida. Could we be down week over week? Ya, just looking at what some states that did report are showing I'd say that's very possible. It definitely won't end up being anywhere near to the degree that it is now though.
Good to know. Thanks for that. Hopefully we see a peak soon as it's been brutal with several people I know getting sick recently.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I had tickets for an event (I'll try to keep from outing the company) for Saturday night. I messaged the folks running the show asking what their mask policy was (where I'm at there's an indoor mask mandate, but this was a different city). They replied basically saying they trust attendees will be wearing masks but can't enforce it themselves. I ate the money and didn't go. Some instagram stories from the event came out and it looks like less than 10% of the attendees are wearing masks. We're never getting out of this shit.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France already offers a third dose to immunocompromised people (I think it's the case since the beginning of the vaccination campaign), and, the plan is to offer a third dose to elderly people who were vaccinated at the beginning of the years. But as far as I remember, it's still not officially announced by the HAS (Haute Autorité de Santé, i.e. High Authority of Health).

About the data from Israël, I read a thread on Twitter explaining that depending on the way someone is looking at the data, they could concluded that the efficiency is between 10 % and 80+ % without doing any mistakes. That person linked an article in english who inspired him, it's written by a Professor of Biostatistics from the University of Pennsylvania, so hopefully, he knows what he is doing:

www.covid-datascience.com

Israeli data: How can efficacy vs. severe disease be strong when 60% of hospitalized are vaccinated?

A surge involving the rapidly-transmitting Delta variant in heavily vaccinated countries has led to much hand-wringing that the vaccines are not effective against Delta, or vaccine effectivenss wanes after 4-6 months. This has fueled anti-vaccine sentiment suggesting the vaccines are not...

Great article, thanks for sharing.

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017

For what it's worth I had first dose AZ , second dose Moderna and the first dose AZ was way worse than modern side effects.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
France already offers a third dose to immunocompromised people (I think it's the case since the beginning of the vaccination campaign), and, the plan is to offer a third dose to elderly people who were vaccinated at the beginning of the years. But as far as I remember, it's still not officially announced by the HAS (Haute Autorité de Santé, i.e. High Authority of Health).

About the data from Israël, I read a thread on Twitter explaining that depending on the way someone is looking at the data, they could concluded that the efficiency is between 10 % and 80+ % without doing any mistakes. That person linked an article in english who inspired him, it's written by a Professor of Biostatistics from the University of Pennsylvania, so hopefully, he knows what he is doing:

www.covid-datascience.com

Israeli data: How can efficacy vs. severe disease be strong when 60% of hospitalized are vaccinated?

A surge involving the rapidly-transmitting Delta variant in heavily vaccinated countries has led to much hand-wringing that the vaccines are not effective against Delta, or vaccine effectivenss wanes after 4-6 months. This has fueled anti-vaccine sentiment suggesting the vaccines are not...
Good article.

This quote sums it up pretty well:

In the case of vaccine efficacy vs. severe disease, it is the fact that both vaccination status and risk of severe disease are systematically higher in the older age group that makes overall efficacy numbers if estimated without stratifying by age misleading, producing a paradoxical result that the overall efficacy (67.5%) is much lower than the efficacy for either of the age groups (91.8% and 85.2%).

Turnbuckle

Oct 27, 2017
Kalamazoo, Michigan

Michigan is one that gets backfilled after the weekend now, and we're definitely trending upwards. We were up to over 2000 cases a day for Thursday/Friday. Our vaccination rates have stalled, and if efficacy drops as quickly as I'm seeing after 6 months then any of these states peaking later than the South could get it worse.

I don't think we're close to the peak of this wave with schools not even opened in most places yet. Michigan could very easily eclipse the 10k cases/day peak we flirted with in prior waves once the school year and indoor weather hit.

I'm very tempted to get a booster asap even though my second dose was in late April. 8 months feels too far out to wait.

Zombegoast

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I had covid in March 2020 and didn't lose my sense of taste and smell. I think the majority of cases don't have that symptom.
I had Covid 2 weeks ago (vaccinated) and didn't lose either.
That sounds like it could be covid to be fair. I'm a contact tracer in the UK and they're all common delta symptoms. You should get a test ASAP just in case

It's could be still anything, but the loss of taste and smell is one of the less common symptoms.
Plus you could develop those later if you have it.

I would get a medical opinion if you can.
I'm getting over Covid right now. I never lost my taste or smell. My symptoms were like a very bad sinus infection and fatigue. IMO I would get tested if I was you. It's simply and easy. Hope you start feeling better.

The earliest I can get tested is tomorrow after work as it's the only appointment available.

Disney wants to keep quiet of the possible outbreak on their property. My mom works at Magic Kingdom and told me how people come in work sick with a few Cast Members dying from Covid.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Michigan is one that gets backfilled after the weekend now, and we're definitely trending upwards. We were up to over 2000 cases a day for Thursday/Friday. Our vaccination rates have stalled, and if efficacy drops as quickly as I'm seeing after 6 months then any of these states peaking later than the South could get it worse.

I don't think we're close to the peak of this wave with schools not even opened in most places yet. Michigan could very easily eclipse the 10k cases/day peak we flirted with in prior waves once the school year and indoor weather hit.

I'm very tempted to get a booster asap even though my second dose was in late April. 8 months feels too far out to wait.

Yeah the states doing well mostly haven't gone back to school yet, that'll be the real test.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The earliest I can get tested is tomorrow after work as it's the only appointment available.

Disney wants to keep quiet of the possible outbreak on their property. My mom works at Magic Kingdom and told me how people come in work sick with a few Cast Members dying from Covid.
anecdotal but my wife and I got it from our daughter via daycare (she only had a mild runny nose 1 day, we didn't know she had it until we got an antibody test after we got reports of 2 positive kids in her room), both breakthrough cases (both fully vax) and both of us lost our smell/taste. My wife lost it 2 Fri ago and she thinks it might be starting to come back a bit, I lost mine on Mon eve and its still completely gone a week later.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Gotta be honest. The Israel chart got to me today.

VeY0yBJl.png

Wasn't expecting it to go back up that high.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
My gf's going to Miami next week for work. Outside wearing N95 masks, washing hands and avoiding people as much as possible, anything else she can do to try to avoid catching Delta in the Covid state of the USA?

I'm asking her to quarantine for a week and then take a covid test when she gets back just to be safe, which is probably overkill, but it's Florida and I feel like everyone who goes to Florida gets covid right now at some point in their travel. She's vaccinated as is her family and contacts back here. But her grandmother she sees weekly is like 80+ elderly and I'm immune suppressed...soooo, quarantining seems better safe than sorry upon return.

samyy

Oct 25, 2017
My gf's going to Miami next week for work. Outside wearing N95 masks, washing hands and avoiding people as much as possible, anything else she can do to try to avoid catching Delta in the Covid state of the USA?

I'm asking her to quarantine for a week and then take a covid test when she gets back just to be safe, which is probably overkill, but it's Florida and I feel like everyone who goes to Florida gets covid right now at some point in their travel. She's vaccinated as is her family and contacts back here. But her grandmother she sees weekly is like 80+ elderly and I'm immune suppressed...soooo, quarantining seems better safe than sorry upon return.

I think that's reasonable given you're immune suppressed - not sure what else she can do to avoid out, just try to avoid going indoors in public places (malls, restaurants, etc).

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
Gotta be honest. The Israel chart got to me today.

VeY0yBJl.png

Wasn't expecting it to go back up that high.
Still a lot of people unvaccinated. A lot of the young folks are like YOLO

And with the elderly who are fully vaccinated and still getting hit with Delta, they generally have other medical issues too. Vaccines can only do so much. Hopefully the 3rd booster will help them more

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis county, MO numbers are dropping fast. Positive rate is also dropping with it, I'm actually surprised by how quickly it's dropping too. Mask mandate is stuck in courts so not required here but I'd say overall everyone is wearing them but besides that no other restrictions

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+1443 new PCR cases (938609 total)
+3 deaths (24033 total)

Total fully vaccinated 5491609
Rate of transmission is 1.23
946 people in hospitals
182 ICU
84 on ventilators

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
3400 cases from Fri-Mon this week. Slight increase from last week was about .. 3100 maybe? Gonna quote and do the math to track growth again.