• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

link is time stamped.
unknown.png

I think this is the first time NVidia referenced a next generation console in their slides.
then again the slides are not explicit regarding what is the comparison metric here, whether that is raw TF, average framerates, ray tracing capabilities etc.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Doesn't the 2080 retail for at least $600? I would be surprised if there was anyone who thought a $500 next-gen console is going to beat that on GPU alone.

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given the leaked specs I don't think its a surprise to anyone. They are going to be more around 2070 level right?

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
ill just wait for official news from Xbox and AMD.

(regardless the console in canada is gonna be what $600CAD max? a 2080 is closer to 1K lmao)

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
The next gen consoles are still almost a year away. There is guaranteed to be something signficiantly cheaper that performs at the same performance level by that time.

Oct 27, 2017
2080 > Next gen console GPU > 2070S

It is a pointless discussion. I doubt you will get the $600 GPU inside the <$500 console, and I doubt Nvidia knows full details about the AMD GPU powering next PS. However, I expect a 5700-levels of GPU inside the console, perhaps a little faster and more accelerations. I would be surprised if the console GPU is faster than 5700 XT in terms of raw power.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
no actually, the more recent specs indicated 12TFlops RDNA performance for the Series X, which would put it above the 2080.
This is nonsense. We still have no idea how it will preform. The tflop figure IS NOT enough to know this. The only thing that we can use to compare performance is that it's 2x the Xbox one x in GPU performance. Digital foundry have already showed that the 5700 xt is twice as powerful as the Xbox one x in some titles but their method of testing is flawed for abvious reasons. So in the end we still don't enough information to understand how powerful it is.

Oct 31, 2017
So he is telling us that a $600 GPU performs better than next gen consoles which are most certainly going to be priced lower than this?
Considering the price and overall cost of building the rest of the PC an RTX 2080 should atleast be 2X-2.5X more powerful than next gen consoles.
Which is certainly not the case.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well... Yeah, obviously. People trumped up the capabilities of last gen before release too. People get overly hyped. They always provide great value, just don't expect the world lol.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
the main thing you can deduce from this is that RTX 2070 is not better than nextgen console. So it gives you fairly narrow performance range imo, by that I mean real world performance, gpu specs are impossible to compare properply.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So he is telling us that a $600 GPU performs better than next gen consoles which are most certainly going to be priced lower than this?
Considering the price and overall cost of building the rest of the PC an RTX 2080 should atleast be 2X-2.5X more powerful than next gen consoles.
Which is certainly not the case.
Freedom isn't free.

OP
OP
modiz

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Kinda makes sense since the new GPUs on consoles will be on pair between RTX 2070 and 70 Super..
that is if we assume the consoles are based on RDNA1 GPUs and not next year's GPUs, which will also throw into question the rumors of 12TF in the series X from windows central and digital foundry. digital foundry talked about how the 2X GPU power of Xbox One X can also be achieved with an RX 5700XT so its not impossible that some wires got crossed there and somehow 2x X1X became 12 TeraFlops RDNA.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
that is if we assume the consoles are based on RDNA1 GPUs and not next year's GPUs, which will also throw into question the rumors of 12TF in the series X from windows central and digital foundry. digital foundry talked about how the 2X GPU power of Xbox One X can also be achieved with an RX 5700XT so its not impossible that some wires got crossed there and somehow 2x X1X became 12 TeraFlops RDNA.

Yes exactly but that's the Intel we correctly got.. We'll know more Q2 2020 I suppose.

But would be nice to see something upwards of an RX 5700XT

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand why people are quoting RTX 2080's price. The RTX line launched in September of 2018. By the time next gen consoles hit the market it will have been over two whole years since launch. The fact that Nvidia has zero competition in the high-end PC space and is able to overprice its cards and not drop prices has nothing to do with the value proposition of next gen consoles one year from now.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why people are quoting RTX 2080's price. The RTX line launched in September of 2018. By the time next gen consoles hit the market it will have been over two whole years since launch. The fact that Nvidia has zero competition in the high-end PC space and is able to overprice its cards and not drop prices has nothing to do with the value proposition of next gen consoles one year from now.

Outside of "overpriced" these are also the first consumer cards with hardware accelerated rt support. Those GPU are packed with a lot of shit on die.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This seems like something inspired by fear of losing business, or players potentially opting for a next-gen console rather than a gaming PC. Why else would claims, concerning specs that haven't been revealed yet, be made? Guess you have to protect your interests and ensure your continued business.

Smartlord

Oct 27, 2017
The next gen consoles are still almost a year away. There is guaranteed to be something signficiantly cheaper that performs at the same performance level by that time.
This isn't how hardware development works. Your hardware has to be finalized more than a year before release just due to the obvious realities of design, manufacture, and development. If they started developing a console today they couldn't use hardware that doesn't currently exist.

That's why a console can basically never be cutting edge on launch.

Oct 26, 2017
I mean some of the wet dreams of console warriors about the power of the new GPUs are bordering on insane, but I also don't see why PC users would be unhappy. The better these consoles are in terms of pure price/performance, the more pressure it puts on a market that has been price gouged to hell and back for the last years. We might get a veritable Ryzen moment for GPUs out of this launch, and that alone excites me.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
The 2080 should theoretically be faster than the PS5's rumored (slightly over 10TFLOPs) Navi GPU, but it is slower than the Xbox's 12TFLOPs Navi GPU, the 2080 super is faster than both.

These RTX cards came out over 2 years before next gen consoles will arrive, so it's still pretty cool that PC users that did invest in such cards as the RTX 2080 or RTX 2080 TI are able to not worry about next gen consoles, they still paid quite a bit more than console gamers will pay next year, though the RTX 30 series cards will likely improve a whole bunch over the RTX 20 series, since they are finally moving down to a new node (Samsung's 7nm EUV) which has a huge improvement in transistor size, power consumption and heat generation.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean some of the wet dreams of console warriors about the power of the new GPUs are bordering on insane, but I also don't see why PC users would be unhappy. The better these consoles are in terms of pure price/performance, the more pressure it puts on a market that has been price gouged to hell and back for the last years. We might get a veritable Ryzen moment for GPUs out of this launch, and that alone excites me.

Yeah either way it works out for me. I'm still running a GTX 1060 and just sitting here waiting for the perfect time to upgrade, no rush.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
He's probably just referring to PS5

see what i did there

But no seriously this doesnt make sense unless MS was using a sliding RDNA2 flops scale in describing the Series X as 2X X1X (that's a lotta X's).

A quick refresher tells me a 5700XT is 9.7 TF (boost clocks only?) and that the RTX 2080 is only 20% faster than the 5700XT and that's according to Tech Power Up benchmarks/performance summary which are consistently Nvidia biased for some reason vs other websites (I just use them because they do a performance graph across many cards), meaning the real delta could be lower around 10-15%.

I guess if the rumours of a 40 CU/2.0 ghz/10.24 TFlop PS5 are true (I believe this is likely), then Jen might have a competitive point vs that console, even then seems a bit dicey given RDNA2 should have some efficiency improvements.

Again vs Series X it only makes sense if it's only in that 9-10 TF area as well and not 12TF, which according to the DF article "sources" say it is 12TF.

In the end, I do the all encompassing *shrug* aka "idk" as the kids say.