• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
And people said I was crazy expecting them to announce something new, who's got the last laugh now ahahahaha muhahaha!

LogicAirForce

Oct 25, 2017
I would give a kidney for a new Fallout game from them, but I know that will never happen :( Fallout:New Vegas is one of my favorite games, I still play through it every few years.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
It's not anything Star Wars related. I just don't see them working with EA... especially that EA doesn't want single-player only games apparently.

You know what? I would be down for another Alpha Protocol or similar (just maybe without bugs) modern-day RPG with as many interesting story paths and choices. Whatever they do, if it's single player RPG, I'm in.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why people are hoping it's kotor 3, as if working with EA right now would be a good idea for them OR for us. I don't know about anyone else but I definitely do not want a dragon age inquisition clone with forced co-op/MP integration and microtransactions everywhere.

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Don't want kotr3 or alpha protocol without avellone.

Ohto

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well now I will be disappointed if it's anything except this.

Me too. Wheel of Time is THE book series for my dream RPG. I had that Hexen/Doom knockoff, don't remember the name but that's not what I want for a proper game from that series. GoT is paper compared the scale and intrigue of the Wheel of Time. And it has actually likeable characters.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
What's the current status on Obsidian currently? I remember a thread, about them being open to the idea to be bought by a company. That was a year ago and it seemed like they were in trouble.
They managed to sign a deal with a mystery publisher that managed to employ most of their staff after the Armored Warfare split.

I honestly think it might be Microsoft given they were keen to defend the fact that Microsoft was still hiring independent developers for larger projects when most publishers weren't.

OP
OP
Oct 26, 2017
They managed to sign a deal with a mystery publisher that managed to employ most of their staff after the Armored Warfare split.

I honestly think it might be Microsoft given they were keen to defend the fact that Microsoft was still hiring independent developers for larger projects when most publishers weren't.

Imho the 3 possible are.

- Warner Bros, maybe HP project?
- EA, more like i hope EA to put them on a Star Wars game
- Microsoft, I mean, they can buy Obsidian easily and fund one of their games.

Maybe Square Enix?

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'd kill for a new Fallout or Star Wars game from Obsidian, though I feel that both are 100% not happening.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
I'm in for anything, Obsidian, Larian, and CDPR are the best RPG developers in the industry right now in my opinion.

I hope it's a new Arcanum game (Tim Cain and rest of ex-Troika), Alpha Protocol 2, or a post-apocalypse game (i.e spiritual successor to Fallout), but I'm excited for anything Obsidian nonetheless. I don't think we'll get a Fallout RPG again by Obsidian, I'd expect them wanting to do their own post-apocalypse IP. Josh Sawyer has also for a long time expressed his desire to make a low-fantasy RPG like a game he loves a lot called Darklands that took place during 15h century Holy Roman Empire (various German states) which I would love.

I personally prefer isometric RPGs but complete 3D perspective is fine with me too.

Last edited:

Akai

Oct 25, 2017

That's good to hear. Hopefully we will hear soon enough about their plans and their mystery publisher.

Also, great seeing you here Nirolak.

Nov 8, 2017
Oh, awesome! signed and shared. Will be sure to follow.

Thanks! Wishing the best for the campaign

Do you think you can help me to create a new thread ? I cannot do it as I'm new here.

Just need a title: Campaign for an open world Panzer Dragoon RPG

You can just leave the message blank or almost, I will add the description in the next message!

Also don't forget to follow the Twitter !

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

This plus a recent interview where Microsoft said they'd be looking into expanding first party and collaboration efforts make me think it's this.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017

That could be great, but I feel like the timing of this announcement is odd if that's the case. It would be quite an early announcement for a large-scale project, and I feel like Microsoft tends to save the big guns for E3. Though I guess the game awards would be an interesting venue... and Microsoft knows it has a problem with the image of their first party. Hmm... I'm kinda changing my mind while writing this post.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_nepnyzec5P1qa4hryo1_400.gif

alpha protocol 2!
Lets do this!

TURN UP! THE RAAADIO!!!

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
It's a brand new IP. Boyarsky has said so himself.

SOURCE

I believe the Cain+Boyarksky project is separate from this. IIRC they have three things running right now, PoE 2, Cain+Boyarsky game, and a AAA game of some kind. Could be wrong, but I believe that is what Feargus said a few months back anyway.

Just going to throw out a guess that the AAA project is Harry Potter related. UE4 excludes several pubs and IPs(unless something has changed), so to me is down to WB or SE as to who could funding something.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
I will honestly be fine with whatever they announce, but I am always going to cling to the hope that they will fulfill their destiny and make a new VtMB. If that ever gets announced, it is going to get a tremendous reaction.

However, even if it is a new IP, it could easily take the things I want from a new VtMB (or Fallout NV) and incorporate them into a new world I will love. The only thing I don't want is something that is besides a deep RPG, because action games are not where Obsidian's magic is.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
That could be great, but I feel like the timing of this announcement is odd if that's the case. It would be quite an early announcement for a large-scale project, and I feel like Microsoft tends to save the big guns for E3. Though I guess the game awards would be an interesting venue... and Microsoft knows it has a problem with the image of their first party. Hmm... I'm kinda changing my mind while writing this post.
Yeah, I suspect the game is going to be a The Game Awards announcement, despite whoever the publisher is. G-STAR seems less likely, but it's the only other event this month, assuming an event reveal.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I hope it's either Vampire or Fallout, although the latter seems very unlikely.

Star Wars would also be nice, but it would mean dealing with EA and we know how that goes.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US

Microsoft does seem likely but it could be Bethesda with a different IP as well although not very likely.

It will be interesting to see whatever this turns out to be but man, I would love to see some more Fallout from Obsidian.

Also, on the engines, if you note Skyrim VR and Switch port won't support any mods. So Fallout or Elder Scrolls spin off in UE4 is not out of a realm of possibilities.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I believe the Cain+Boyarksky project is separate from this. IIRC they have three things running right now, PoE 2, Cain+Boyarsky game, and a AAA game of some kind. Could be wrong, but I believe that is what Feargus said a few months back anyway.

Just going to throw out a guess that the AAA project is Harry Potter related. UE4 excludes several pubs and IPs(unless something has changed), so to me is down to WB or SE as to who could funding something.

The Cain/Boyarsky game is the AAA game. It was Deadfire, a AAA game with a large publisher and a small project just getting started.

Mostly I think this is just them having fun with Twitters dumb 280 character increase and not really indicative of any pending announcement. Would be happy to be proven wrong though.