• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
G-8 was pretty okay filler. A bit too stretched but I think the SH's finding people they can help with their specialties was fun and satisfying to watch. Also I miss suave Sanji which was way more prevalent I guess pre timeskip.
There is some stuff that is def wonky for me like buying into Jonathan being a Vice Admiral with how Oda established them knowing Haki and all but it's fine in the end.
Con D. Oriano is the goat. Future Pirate King material right there.
if only filler had nakama chances

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind recap stuff, but it sounds like they drop teh ball on the twist of the episode, and the twist going into the next episode, which is bad. Haven't seen the episode yet, going off of what others said.

Oct 25, 2017
We have to believe Toei will give us Carrot filler, so Carrot getting fucked up by Peros isn't as bad :(
Carrot

753300801409253586.png

Aug 12, 2019
Jinbei staring down Big Mom = 10/10.

The more I make it through WCI the more I realize that I find this arc to be on the same level as my favorites from pre-time skip.

As others have stated - its twisted and reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland. But aside from that, Sanji's real backstory has been great. The villains are more memorable than Doflamingo's lackeys. Brook had a dope moment with his guitar. And the color palette is so vibrant.

It's just a whole different feel from anything that came before imo.

The only pre-timeskip sagas/arcs that feel like they eclipse WCI are Alabasta and Water 7/Enies Lobby for me. WCI is just that damn good to me and is filled with amazing moments, constantly subverting expectations in a real way, and building tension that we usually don't see that well done in One Piece because it was the arc emphasizing how out of their depth the Straw Hats were in their mission. Plus Totto Land is absolutely inspired as hell and the way it was setup let them have a lot of "classic" One Piece moments with their general discovery of the islands and a LOT of time spent on the Sunny that we arguably hadn't seen enough of post timeskip. It's also just such a surprisingly well done character focused arc with some incredible antagonists that are fantastic characters as well.

Whole Cake Island really was a huge return to form for One Piece to me after post time skip felt like it was setting up longterm threads more than focusing on its individual arcs and Dressrosa was sort of an all over the place arc with its highs being fantastic and its lows just being super disappointing (and I admit, I'm just not like a huge fan of the Grand Fleet).

The good news is that I think Wano has largely followed in the footsteps of WCI as this marked improvement of what came before, but it still needs more to surpass WCI for me. It probably ranks 4th in terms of best One Piece arcs already, with maybe Impel Down competing for that same spot.

Oct 25, 2017
As I figured, Luffy was saved by Law's crew. They were set-up earlier after all.
Sanji unchained, he is ready to throw down.
Seems Zoro will come back sooner than we thought. With Chopper handling him, he'll be fine.
Zeus lives in through the Clima-Tact. That's certainly a way of giving Nami an upgrade.
Yamato vs Kaido, let's goooooo

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
- Poor Chopper wasn't taking the news about Luffy very well at first

- Sanji finally uses a weapon again, and it's Zoro lmfao

- SANJI VS QUEEN LET'S GOOOOOO!!! This whole scene is amazing. I need to see it animated to fully get it, but basically Sanji kicks Queen hard enough to not only damage him, but also blocks all of Perospero's incoming arrows, but also temporarily removes him from the battlefield.

- It's been a very, very long journey to the inevitable endpoint of Sanji taking on a Yonko Commander, the Black Maria detour being particularly rough for his fans, but we're finally here! A small part of me is a bit disappointed we're not getting that aerial battle with King, but hey, fighting Queen is damn hype as well. (And more importantly, people can rejoice that he's not fighting Jack, Perospero, etc.)

- As has been stated, a Sanji vs Queen fight has felt like a certainty for quite awhile. They're both the 3rd strongest (presumably on Queen's part) of their respective crews. Queen is a scientist who is familiar/has worked with Judge in the past, the strongest hint so far. They've both fallen for Hiyori (watch this end up getting a payoff once she shows up lol) And in terms of Sanji fighting a Yonko Commander to begin with, his earlier clash with Pay Pay while wearing the raid suit made it clear that a Tobi Roppo wouldn't be a satisfying matchup for him. If Luffy's fighting a Yonko, then Sanji and Zoro have to be on the level where they can fight against Yonko Commanders themselves now. While Chopper was admittedly an even better fit due to clashing with Queen's ideology, it is painfully obvious that Chopper is not strong enough to beat Queen by himself. So it'll be interesting to see what Chopper does next after patching up Zoro.

- Speaking of Zoro, as we all suspected, he likely won't just be in bandages the entire time the rest of the raid plays out. I still heavily lean towards Zoro having some other big moment, not him having a proper fight against some big shot antagonist. While I still really don't see Zoro getting a big 1v1 fight (against King at this point let's be real) given his injuries, nothing's impossible now that Sanji is fighting Queen. Maybe it'll play out in a way where Marco severely injures King beforehand before getting defeated or something. Dunno how I'd feel about that, but I guess I could be okay with that provided the execution is believable.

- Despite all the memes of Sanji being kicked out of the Monster Trio, the reality is that Jinbe is fighting Who's Who, while Sanji is fighting Queen. It's clear now that when all is said and done, Oda wants the endgame of Zoro and Sanji continuing to be viewed as the strongest fighters after Luffy. Though I guess there might be a potential asterisk, in that Jinbe could be considered the 2nd strongest when he's underwater or at least near a large body of water.

- Love all the blatant Enies Lobby parallels here. In short... he's back:

NVVxVjY.png

- As I expected, Kinemon survived that clubbing. But what I didn't expect was for Kaido to immediately go in for the kill again, this time stabbing through the gut to the point that the sword has pinned him to the ground. Good lord, pretty graphic for this series. As someone that at first felt a little weird about the Scabbards not being killed off in the leadup to Ch. 1000, so far I've been preferring how things have played out in terms.

- Seeing Kinemon desperately try to fight back against Kaido, complete with the flashback of showing when Kinemon and Momo started to pretend to be father and son, had me emotional ngl. I'm fully convinced after this chapter that Kinemon will ultimately die by the end of this arc. However, still not entirely convinced that it'll happen right here and now. Despite the brutality of this scene, Kinemon still has not reunited with Tsuru. And on top of that, we now have Kaido practically daring Kinemon to find a way to struggle against him one last time, where he does not accept defeat.

- Oh wow, I honestly didn't expect for Luffy to be the one that was speaking to Momo. Some people theorized this I think, but I largely wrote it off lol. This whole VOAT thing truly is some crazy shit huh?

- This is a really good moment for Momo, as he's unexpectedly the one to restore morale among the alliance.

- As expected, the most logical course of action in how Luffy would be saved was through Law's submarine. Surprised they could hear Luffy though...

- Wtf at Zeus merging with the Clima-Tact itself, not sure how I feel about that. On one hand, it might improve Nami's techniques outside of just her lightning. But I swear if this robs us of my dream of Nami going full Son Goku D:

- And at long last, Yamato has finally confronted Kaido! Didn't realize how hyped I was for this until I saw it lol. Also Yamato has subtly come a long way since he was first accused of having Nami-face syndrome

-----------------

Great chapter. As I said last week, the tone would be decided in the next 1-2 chapters. Given this chapter, seems like we're sticking with a more hopeful tone despite Luffy's condition and Kinemon's fate being up in the air, which is fine by me. That said, still super curious on what what happens with Onigashima.

Also damn, when we getting that Kaido flashback

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018

-Sanji, why would you use Zoro as a weapon, he's supposed to be injured.

-
5cas4j.jpg

-Not sure how the physics work for Sanji's attack. It does look nice though.

-Will Chopper do anything else other than heal Zoro, I wonder

-I don't see how Kin'emon could live through that. I'm fine with it. This is a cool death.

-So, Momo could hear Luffy because he (Momo) has the Voice of All Things, right? But how could Luffy say these things. Was it unconscious?

-Wait, that can't be the VoAT, since Law's crew could hear him. So what's happening??

-So Zeus is alive... somehow. I don't mind too much since I wanted him to stay around, but I can't see at which point he could have managed to entre the climatact.

Lots of set-ups for future fights : Queen vs Sanji, Law and Kid vs Big Mom, Kaido vs Yamato.

I think next week could be the beginning of the Yamato/Kaido flashback. Feels like a good time to do it

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
This was a peak Sanji chapter in all ways .
Yamoto about to face , Kaido so we might be heading into flash back .
Luffy using VOAT to let momo do a pep talking so the question is when will luffy be back .

Last edited:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The only pre-timeskip sagas/arcs that feel like they eclipse WCI are Alabasta and Water 7/Enies Lobby for me. WCI is just that damn good to me and is filled with amazing moments, constantly subverting expectations in a real way, and building tension that we usually don't see that well done in One Piece because it was the arc emphasizing how out of their depth the Straw Hats were in their mission. Plus Totto Land is absolutely inspired as hell and the way it was setup let them have a lot of "classic" One Piece moments with their general discovery of the islands and a LOT of time spent on the Sunny that we arguably hadn't seen enough of post timeskip. It's also just such a surprisingly well done character focused arc with some incredible antagonists that are fantastic characters as well.

Whole Cake Island really was a huge return to form for One Piece to me after post time skip felt like it was setting up longterm threads more than focusing on its individual arcs and Dressrosa was sort of an all over the place arc with its highs being fantastic and its lows just being super disappointing (and I admit, I'm just not like a huge fan of the Grand Fleet).

The good news is that I think Wano has largely followed in the footsteps of WCI as this marked improvement of what came before, but it still needs more to surpass WCI for me. It probably ranks 4th in terms of best One Piece arcs already, with maybe Impel Down competing for that same spot.

I'd say it's tying with those as well but still manages to fall short of Marineford (but to be fair it's Marineford). I enjoyed Zou and found it to be the most consistent arc after the timeskip...until I started WCI. You basically hit the nail on the head with everything you've said.

Glad to hear that Wano is of similar nature. I'm so close to being caught up and after I watch what One Pace has on Wano I'm going back to the manga.

Hueytothe

Oct 25, 2017
- Seeing Kinemon desperately try to fight back against Kaido, complete with the flashback of showing when Kinemon and Momo started to pretend to be father and son, had me emotional ngl. I'm fully convinced after this chapter that Kinemon will ultimately die by the end of this arc. However, still not entirely convinced that it'll happen right here and now. Despite the brutality of this scene, Kinemon still has not reunited with Tsuru. And on top of that, we now have Kaido practically daring Kinemon to find a way to struggle against him one last time, where he does not accept defeat.
There's no way he is still alive after that, have we ever seen a panel like that not in a flashback.

Kaido shaved real quick on page 15 then grew his beard back real quick.
LOL, I wonder how stuff like that makes it through, but it is a weekly series workflow has to be fast.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
This Kinemon stuff does literally nothing for me, the dude will just appear some chapters from now all fine.

Homie weapon was what i saw Nami getting after last chapter so thats nice.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's no way he is still alive after that, have we ever seen a panel like that not in a flashback.

Hey, I'm just telling/reminding you what Oda's MO is lol

He doesn't like having characters having stuff left unresolved before killing them off (i.e. Pound) so never say never.

Though I guess there could be an alternative where we see Kinemon's spirit at the fire festival or something

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, holy shit, holy shit. This chapter was nothing but hype.

Kinn sacrificing himself to buy Momo some more time.
Zeus is inside Nami's climate baton?
Queen knowing Judge is finally coming into play with a Sanji vs. Queen setup.
Luffy's message to Momo
Law's men saving Luffy.
Yamato vs. Kaido

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
ksi1pvrxskk41.jpg

MY BROTHERS Blackleg-sanji1 Silfer TheBlackNamekian we've been starving for too long!!! We finally got some good fucking food with Sanji. Please Oda don't betray us.

Also, Yamato vs Kaido finally happening is gonna be hype.
At last, we feast.
No I wanted Queen or King, aka not-Jack, then Chopper was fighting Queen with some others so King was left. But now that Chopper is not fighting Queen, I'm very happy with this.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
This chapter was exceptional and there's just so much going on.

Also, I found it funny how people were worried about Luffy getting too strong too quick and then a couple chapters later wondering who was gonna save him from being killed by Kaido.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say it was funny seeing some people going crazy with who going to save luffy .
It was rather easy to see it was going to be the sub .

Status
Not open for further replies.