Onilink

Oct 30, 2017
OP disappeared and still no source of the news.
Cool, i Guess.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017
Brand protection and maybe a little scared these fan games will show how easy it is to do something innovative with the franchise instead of water it down over decades of stagnation.

I sincerely doubt they are afraid of fangames trying to innovate the series. I've been around the community for quite a while (since 2004, before poccil even started Essentials), and even though many fangames try new things, they are quite often very unpolished and feel off. Even Uranium is a bit rough. It's purely about trademark and IP protection.

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
As a user of the fan engine in question, and someone who knows a bit about the source of the news, I can say this as a member of the very site where Essentials became a thing :
As a Member of PokéCommunity, I remember that the news came from People in a thread on the fan forum PokéCommunity after this was found out yesterday.

It was also talked about in a thread on fellow fangame forum, Relic Castle.

Sadly Maruno, current person responsible for Essentials has not yet made a comment or decision on what to do to save this amazing fan engine.

Last edited:

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sadly, Maruno, current person responsible for Essentials has not yet made a comment or decision on what to do to save this amazing fan engine.
He should absolutely strip it from all official audiovisual PKMN assets and distribute the core mechanisms and engine separately. Let people deal with collecting the required sprites and whatever on their own, resource kits for this will pop up in no-time. But don't let the engine itself go to waste.

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
He should absolutely strip it from all official audiovisual PKMN assets and distribute the core mechanisms and engine separately. Let people deal with collecting the required sprites and whatever on their own, resource kits for this will pop up in no-time. But don't let the engine itself go to waste.
I hope my comment doesn't get anybody involved in trouble with The Pokémon Company!

We don't want to encroach on sales of the game!
All we just want to do is show our love and support of the series through making our own fan-based versions.

Honestly, I hope Maruno finds a better way to bring back Pokémon Essentials without fear of the kind of anti-fangame sentiment that TPC is having right now, personally. Unless certain people monetize their Pokémon fangames via Patreon or donations, then we fans when making them are not attempting to encroach on sales of the series, just to make that clear.

Last edited:

qq more

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, are we seriously debating if Nintendo should let someone sell something this product blatantly violating their IP? This isn't even about preservation and what not.
I'm not sure where you got the idea it was being sold in any way

Could they be planning to make a Pokemon Maker game like Mario maker?
Given the insane amount of work required to make a Pokemon game, I doubt it. Mario Maker works because you can just simply make one stage. Pokemon doesn't have such a simple luxury as it's a full on adventure.

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Things like this are so frustrating, because of course they're gonna take shit like this down, but its still so petty and gross. "But they're just protecting their property!" doesn't really sit with me when it's the most financially successful media franchise of all time. Nobody is getting hurt by fan works like this.

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
Things like this are so frustrating, because of course they're gonna take shit like this down, but its still so petty and gross. "But they're just protecting their property!" doesn't really sit with me when it's the most financially successful media franchise of all time. Nobody is getting hurt by fan works like this.
Even Star Wars, the second highest grossing franchise other than Pokémon is better at handling fan created content!

I really do question how the Pokémon Company treats these kinds of things when Disney and Lucasfilm do better.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
It's just, times like now when Game Freak and the Pokémon Company, decide to do something like Let's GO, that dissapoints due to lack of difficulty and 3DS-style game design, as a priority, Essentials based fangame come in handy to buy time while waiting for a highly anticipated thing like Gen VIII, a means of satiating hardcore fans until their type of game hopefully releases next year.

This is a contradictory passage. You've passed judgement on a game that has not been released and are calling for an alternative to be made by the fan base. In business terms, this is called competition and fundamentally affects sales.

I am increasingly weary of the sentiment that a fan base becomes the owners and protectors of an IP rather than the actual company that owns it.

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
This is a contradictory passage. You've passed judgement on a game that has not been released and are calling for an alternative to be made by the fan base. In business terms, this is called competition and fundamentally affects sales.

I am increasingly weary of the sentiment that a fan base becomes the owners and protectors of an IP rather than the actual company that owns it.

I hope my comment doesn't get anybody involved in trouble with The Pokémon Company!

All we just want to do is show our love and support of the series through making our own fan-based versions.

Honestly, I hope Maruno finds a better way to bring back Pokémon Essentials without fear of the kind of anti-fangame sentiment that TPC is having right now, personally. Unless certain people monetize their Pokémon fangames via Patreon or donations, then we fans when making them are not attempting to encroach on sales of the series, just to make that clear.
FTFY

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Regular reminder that Sega have never gone after the Sonic fangaming scene, despite assets ripped from their games being openly hosted, downloaded and used for decades. And have Sega lost the Sonic IP due to failure to protect it from the "evil" fans? Nah, of course not.

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
Just to note, I didn't exactly mean that Nintendo and Game Freak should lose sales from letting fans make amazing fangames based on the series.

Just that there's fangames as an alternatIve.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sad, the fan games have been substantially better than Nintendo's efforts for two gens now.
Not as hard to make a game when you can just steal the IP. Why not put those game making skills into an original IP?

Absolutely baffling why would anyone just use others properties and not expect them to take action, especially from companies as protective as Nintendo and TPC.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I understand why Nintendo are worried. Given the choice, I'd be tempted to play some teenager's edgy fangame over Pokemon Let's Go.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
It's strange to think that they've decided to go after this after 11 years. Iirc there was a "Zelda Maker" someone created a couple years back and it was DMCA'd immediately.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Pokemon maker is coming.

This is the only thing I think of.

The argument that Nintendo has the right to protect its IPs will always be sound. Always. The fact that people here always mention it baffles me because it is just that simple. This is known.
If you, a dude who games as a hobby is able to find odd nintendo themed sites, do you honestly believe nintendo is slow or clueless about them? I bet you they have interns whose job is to track down people violating their copyright via such sites. It does not even matter that a site has been in existence decades, it just matters that it exists.

The timing of each takedown in indicative of something brewing in the horizon. The timing of these takedowns is what we should discuss. Our focus here should not be on how evil nintendo is for protecting what's theirs, it should be data mining the shit out of everything, blowing all things out of proportion and making wild speculations. That is way more fun to do here than echo "erm, their IP doh you dumbo haha".

There is probably some fan site Nintendo knows about right now but is not touching because it currently isn't relevant to their plans. We will get another such headline in future. In the meantime, the quoted posted is on to something and I would rather we discuss how Pokemon Maker would work today.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
This is the only thing I think of.

The argument that Nintendo has the right to protect its IPs will always be sound. Always. The fact that people here always mention it baffles me because it is just that simple. This is known.
If you, a dude who games as a hobby is able to find odd nintendo themed sites, do you honestly believe nintendo is slow or clueless about them? I bet you they have interns whose job is to track down people violating their copyright via such sites. It does not even matter that a site has been in existence decades, it just matters that it exists.

The timing of each takedown in indicative of something brewing in the horizon. The timing of these takedowns is what we should discuss. Our focus here should not be on how evil nintendo is for protecting what's theirs, it should be data mining the shit out of everything, blowing all things out of proportion and making wild speculations. That is way more fun to do here than echo "erm, their IP doh you dumbo haha".

There is probably some fan site Nintendo knows about right now but is not touching because it currently isn't relevant to their plans. We will get another such headline in future. In the meantime, the quoted posted is on to something and I would rather we discuss how Pokemon Maker would work today.
LOL.
We aren't getting pokemon maker anytime soon.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
In the meantime the quoted posted is on to something and I would rather we discuss how Pokemon Maker would work today.
It wouldn't? The whole idea behind Mario Maker is that it's simple, and that the act of creating a level is 'gamified' in and of itself. I really don't see Nintendo handing out a full RPG event editor to the fans and expecting the average consumer to have fun with it out of the box.

Maybe a 2D Zelda Maker would work? But even that's adding a huge additional level of complication. Personally I just need a Mario Maker 2 and I'm satisfied, lol.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
LOL.
We aren't getting pokemon maker anytime soon.

I know. My point was that I prefer we discuss where the franchise could go in light of what has happened as opposed to every other post reinforcing the fact that Nintendo can do whatever they want with their IP. It's all we ever read when something like this happens? Where's the fun in that?

Posts like the ones below are where it's at for me because they allow hypothetical scenarios to be exchanged.
I don't know, maybe I am feeling nostalgic but conversations such as these are partly why I spend time on forums like these. I get we are grown men and women with jobs and so we understand the industry better now, spewing legal speak and stuff... but think about it... Nintendo takes down AM2R and a year later releases Samus Returns.
Of all things, Nintendo takes down a 14 year site... is it really far fetched that maybe, a make your own pokemon adventure is in the works?
This is what I would rather talk about.

It wouldn't? The whole idea behind Mario Maker is that it's simple, and that the act of creating a level is 'gamified' in and of itself. I really don't see Nintendo handing out a full RPG event editor to the fans and expecting the average consumer to have fun with it out of the box.

Maybe a 2D Zelda Maker would work? But even that's adding a huge additional level of complication. Personally I just need a Mario Maker 2 and I'm satisfied, lol.

That makes a lot of sense. The only features of such a product that would be commercially viable eg creating your own pokemon other players can battle and collect in particular areas, or being able to use them in another title like smash.

Last edited:

pauloshinobi

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Remember kids, just because it is legal doesn't make it moral.

It is pretty sad to see many people agreeing with Nintendo's tyrannical approach regarding its IPs lately.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly, both fanbase and TPC/Nintendo benefit drastically from this move /s

Honestly, the major reason a lot of even the basic fan games find any success at all is that GameFreak's titles aren't strict improvements with each iteration. The Pokemon Essential's kit even has really shoddy performance, where you cannot play these games at fluid framerates.

Yet, Pokemon Reborn is far and beyond better (for my taste) than anything GameFreak has released and in all likelihood will release in the foreseeable future. I just saw that it's up to episode 18 now, so I'll dabble back into it soon. Probably the only Pokemon game actually containing all generations. And man, can't wait to solve some puzzles that require actual thinking! *looks at LGPE remade trashcan puzzle*

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Eh, in my experience most of the Pokémon fangames are simply edgys products of people who do not accept that they are not games for their age.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People who ask for a pokémon maker game are probably the same people who ask for some "breath of the pokémon" or "MMO pokémon" without even thinking if it's realistic.

ReBirFh

Dec 8, 2017
Regular reminder that Sega have never gone after the Sonic fangaming scene, despite assets ripped from their games being openly hosted, downloaded and used for decades. And have Sega lost the Sonic IP due to failure to protect it from the "evil" fans? Nah, of course not.

Nope, but everyone thinks SEGA and SONIC TEAM aren't worth shit and that fans/random guy in the internet can do what SEGA can't, even though Sonic Mania didn't come from a random person that used a gamemaker in an obscure forum but from professional programmers contracted by SEGA that happens to also be Sonic Fans and involved in the community.

EDIT. There are already some posts here saying the fan games are better than the official ones, this is the kind of sentiment they want to avoid to protect their brand.

Want to make your own pokemon game? create your assets, backstories, creatures etc.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Source?

How do we know Nintendo is responsible and it's not just some temporary server issue or whatever?