• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I found it baffling that people were saying that more people know Mario than Pikachu.
More people know Trump than Iron Man, but you wouldn't say it if you compare the Trump Organization with Marvel.

That Pokemon rakes in more cash only says it's more popular with a small 10-20 demographic that puts significant money in media franchises. (Also that it has more frequent releases). (Also also the poll was about Pikachu, an arguably difficult name for people not super invested, not about Pokemon). Older demographics put that money towards franchises with an Apple logo.

Turtleboats

Nov 13, 2017
Thats pretty crazy, my first guess would have been Mario. More impressive considering its a newer franchise too.

Didn't realize Pokemon was THAT big. Grats to GF :)

Was just listening to Pokemon music as I clicked this thread too!

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see mario tv shows, or movies, or even comics. You can go into any supermarket/dollar store and find merch for the other entries in the top 5, but the same cannot be said for Mario. At least in my experience.
There are Super Mario toys and action figures and Super Mario branded board games and card games. There's also the ongoing (I think) "Super Mario-Kun" manga in Japan. That's about all I know.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see mario tv shows, or movies, or even comics. You can go into any supermarket/dollar store and find merch for the other entries in the top 5, but the same cannot be said for Mario. At least in my experience.
there's Mario figurines in most every Wal Mart checkout lines I'm around.

Not amiibo, but the other brand
world of nintnedo I assume.

edit:
as well as the main store of course

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
I found it baffling that people were saying that more people know Mario than Pikachu. Mario has a smaller presence in India and large parts of south east Asia than he does in the US.

Pikachu & Pokemon, on the other hand, are huge in almost every country. Having a TV cartoon and the cards really helps.

This has nothing to do with revenue. It was always clear that Pokemon is more sucessfull. But when you ask someone to name a video game character most will probably say Mario. I think too that Pikachu is more known. But I don't think that people connect that character with video games like they do with Mario.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would have thought Marvel would crack the top 5... then I scrolled down and saw Spider-Man worth $23 billion AND the MCU worth $23 billion. not to mention x-men, hulk and everything else. jeeeeeesus
Well yeah, which is why it was hilarious when people downplayed the popularity of Spider-Man in some threads.

Spider-Man has been a monster for Marvel for years, the PS4 exclusivity is huge.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I've known Pokemon was #1 for a while, but it's still an impressive stat.

What's really awing is to scroll through the whole list and realize how popular media is absolutely dominated by America and Japan (with a couple of Brits thrown in for good measure).

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The country of Japan used Mario as their public face on the world stage in front of billions to usher in the transition from the Rio Olympics to Tokyo 2020.

marioolympicsslide.png

The sitting prime minister (Edited, thanks ktSlime!) of a country showed up to an international event dressed as Mario, lol

Shinzo-Abe-Super-Mario-Rio-Olympics-Closing-Ceremony.png

Mario is a gloabl icon, I mean it really doesn't get bigger than that. Pikachu is up there too. The Mario animated movie and the Great Detective Pikachu film will take things even higher.

Last edited:

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
The country of Japan used Mario as their public face on the world stage in front of billions to usher in the transition from the Rio Olympics to Tokyo 2020.

marioolympicsslide.png

The sitting president of a country showed up to an international event dressed as Mario, lol

Shinzo-Abe-Super-Mario-Rio-Olympics-Closing-Ceremony.png

Mario is a gloabl icon, I mean it really doesn't get bigger than that. Pikachu is up there too. The Mario animated movie and the Great Detective Pikachu film will take things even higher.

He's our prime minister not president, but aside from that spot on.

kitsuneyo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
I''m shocked Mickey still has pull, I feel like multiple generations have passed where he hasn't really been relevant.
I feel like Mickey is mishandled. His last movie (I think) was the Prince and the Pauper in 1990, and it is truly am awful film (imo of course). The games Mickey is in are arguably a lot better than his cartoons and movies.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's so much Mario merchandise these days compared to the 90s/early 2000s.

0b8251cb863b4160a4c6358ebdf2c29c_Large.png

deca346da31a42c4b24dc489da4fb3bf_Large.png

maxresdefault.jpg

71JdZOBWDRL._SX466_.jpg

Nintendo-Mario-Vans.jpg

2.jpg

super-mario-halloween-costume-mario-and-luigi-girl-costumes-friends-google-search.jpg

There was a big Mario merchandise boom in the 80s/early 90s but it petered out after that until about the Wii era, but now there's tons of Mario everywhere.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
Not that I doubt the relative ranking, but are the figures accurate? It seems to be brought up regularly and I'm wondering if all these are up to date and relevant.
Looking at the page, the first article used as source [c] for Pokémon retail sales cites the Wikipedia page itself as its source.
Thanksfully there's a second source for this point, which is another wikipedia page with more precise sources for The Pokémon Company.

Edit: interesting how the figure for Pokémon comes directly from the company ("Total worldwide market size over ¥6.0 trillion"), while the rest are "estimations".

Last edited:

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More people know Trump than Iron Man, but you wouldn't say it if you compare the Trump Organization with Marvel.

That Pokemon rakes in more cash only says it's more popular with a small 10-20 demographic that puts significant money in media franchises. (Also that it has more frequent releases). (Also also the poll was about Pikachu, an arguably difficult name for people not super invested, not about Pokemon). Older demographics put that money towards franchises with an Apple logo.

What media franchises has an Apple logo attached to it?

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
When they say "Hello Kitty" do they just mean only her or does that include her friends like My Melody? I was on team Pochacco, myself.

Alright ERA, 'fess up. One of you must be the Hello Kitty fan that can explain this.
Sanrio is really popular among girls and women.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
That list doesn't even take into account Pokemon's system selling power. It's likely responsible for close to 100 million hardware units by itself over the course of 20 years.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
When they say "Hello Kitty" do they just mean only her or does that include her friends like My Melody? I was on team Pochacco, myself.

Sanrio is really popular among girls and women.

Only Hello Kitty is the uber popular one.
I have a lot of friends who love everything Hello Kitty, to the extent of buying McDonald meals that they don't even eat, just to collect Hello Kitty figurines.
Other Sanrio characters like My Melody, Badtz-Maru, etc are not as popular (I have to google these names lol).

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Also, people should take this list with a grain of salt. Until a few months ago, Hello Kitty was nowhere to be seen on this list. And one day, it appeared and placed #2. This means that there could be other high grossing media franchise that are not on this list. (Sadly there is no web archive for the wiki page so I don't have a proof)

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon has 1000+ Pokemon and human characters, there's literally something for everyone to like.

Mario is the sleeping giant IMHO. He has yet to feature in more than one film or have a classic album like 2BA Master.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Hah knew it.

Mario is such a non existent character in India/middle East/ and other parts of asia since video games made up a really tiny percentage of entertainment probably less than 1% for a long ass time. It wasn't until mobile phones that people finally understood what video game were.

But Pikachu on the other hand, he's a global powerhouse. Pokemons been airing on TV in these parts of the world for the last 2 decades so it's easy to see which one people recognize more

Oct 25, 2017
I found it baffling that people were saying that more people know Mario than Pikachu. Mario has a smaller presence in India and large parts of south east Asia than he does in the US.

Pikachu & Pokemon, on the other hand, are huge in almost every country. Having a TV cartoon and the cards really helps.

That thread was about who is the bigger "gaming" icon. Mario has sold many more video games than Pikachu has. Pokemon is much better known as a cartoon and toy line by the general populace.