• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
need some time to pull my thoughts together on this one.
Not exactly. Oberon B0 was a physical device. We have the IP addresses of 3 units. But it does point to that Oberon A0 was a c.model. And possibly Ariel A0, maybe Ariel B0.

Now that is a lot to think about.

Oh I see, I always thought those IP adresses were tied to machines where testing was done, which would not prevent a test on some *virtual model being done on them and the IP still showing on the data.

Edit: *added for clarification.

Last edited:

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I see, I always thought those IP adresses were tied to machines where testing was done, which would not prevent a test on some model being done on them and the IP still showing on the data.
That was my impression, given how it was labeled in the file. I don't know for certain.

Another implication is that all those test results that were found, including the >20k firescore were all model results.

It would also indicate Oberon B0 in the V dev-kit.

I am not sure I buy this.

Last edited:

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
need some time to pull my thoughts together on this one.
Not exactly. Oberon B0 was a physical device. We have the IP addresses of 3 units. But it does point to that Oberon A0 was a c.model. And possibly Ariel A0, maybe Ariel B0.

There are other c.models in GitHub and we know from AMD FAD that they were using these for rapid prototyping.

Now that is a lot to think about.

Edit: I am not at my desk so I can't back up or debunk these claims.

Hmmm...just speculating from the surface, but would it be possible for Oberon B0 to be a model revision of a virtual device?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm...just speculating from the surface, but would it be possible for Oberon B0 to be a model revision of a virtual device?
Possible but unlikely as we found IP addresses for three physical units named Oberon 1, 2, 3...

And what was in the silver tower dev kit? What was in the V dev kit? And tested in fire strike? Not sure about anything at this point,except that PS5 is going to be amazing.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Instead of speculating what the guy Randy is posting on twitter I never understand why nobody has the idea to challenge/ask those guys on twitter directly.

I asked (again) and guess what, he is speculating. It is not a claim, it is his theory. And such kind of theories are likely to be not accurate, just like the last one just in the recent days.

To III-V BlacknGoldBlood wowbaggerBR

Edit:
Randy @Carthemanbra
Replying to @WrexTheNerd
This is just speculation, obviously, ...

Last edited:

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Possible but unlikely as we found IP addresses for three physical units named Oberon 1, 2, 3...

And what was in the dev kit? And tested in fire strike? No sure about anything at this point,except that PS5 is going to be amazing.
Why do IP addresses need to be associated to physical devices and not virtual machines?

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017

Matt also said the development hasn't been smooth.

I've heard several times now that development has been a bit rough :-/

Hopefully it all comes together, I love Halo and I like the direction the game seems to be going in.

Sort of like an Uncharted 4 situation. Continuing creative differences that lead to other issues.

But that's just what I've heard, and like I said, that's not unusual for Halo and it's generally worked out in the end.

And if it makes you feel any better, I've heard quite the opposite for a few other projects.

Still this situation isn't unusual for Halo so hopefully it comes together and makes launch, or if not gets the extra time it needs. Would love to see Halo make a comeback like GOW did.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Why do IP addresses need to be associated to physical devices and not virtual machines?
Not required, but none of the c.models had the same treatment.

Instead of speculating what the guy Randy is posting on twitter I never understand why nobody has the idea to challenge/ask those guys on twitter directly.

I asked (again) and guess what, he is speculating. It is not a claim, it is his theory. And such kind of theories are likely to be not accurate, just like the last one just in the recent days.

We understand it is speculation. I am not at my desk and am going by memory at the moment. A few of the inconsistencies he mentioned we had found in the past as well, and did not seriously consider as it did not Fit well with the thinking at the time.

A large part of this theory is tied to recent finding, that OberonA0 was associated with CPU-ID 8F40. However, I believe that Ariel_B0 is associated with 8F10 in GitHub, which works with our current understanding.

Now I am not in agreement with him yet, will need to look over my notes tomorrow. At this point I am thinking OberonA0 may have been c.model only.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Edit:
Randy @Carthemanbra
Replying to @WrexTheNerd

people just want any information or scoop they can get. Even if its just from some goober on twitter.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
I'd like to hear some people more familiar with hardware design/testing/manufacturing speak to what the purpose/usefulness of this would be opposed to how they did it in the past or how other companies are currently doing things.

Also: have there been other things virtualized and then tested like this before? anything else in Github from those cases?

"Virtualized stepping" is most likely running synthesized logic on FPGA. This lets them to test out the soundness of their logic design without the huge cost of actually manufacturing silicon.
BsjSo2T.jpg

This is the general flow of silicon design. It doesn't matter whether the test is conducted on actual silicon or FPGA, we knew the high-level design is done, as we saw in the sheets that theoretical values and test patterns are all set. If the virtual stepping of Oberon A0 is indicative of anything, I'd say AMD is committed to the specifications!

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
"Virtualized stepping" is most likely running synthesized logic on FPGA. This lets them to test out the soundness of their logic design without the huge cost of actually manufacturing silicon.

This is the general flow of silicon design. It doesn't matter whether the test is conducted on actual silicon or FPGA, we knew the high-level design is done, as we saw in the sheets that theoretical values and test patterns are all set. If the virtual stepping of Oberon A0 is indicative of anything, I'd say AMD is committed to the specifications!

Nice! Thanks for the reply and the info.

Is this something a lot of companies do? Seems like it would save time and money, but I don't know how accurate it would be.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
States are now shutting down restaurant businesses and bars to curtail the spread of COVID-19. Retail can't be far behind. Thinking any sort of announcement is coming from Sony any time soon under these conditions is wildly optimistic.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
States are now shutting down restaurant businesses and bars to curtail the spread of COVID-19. Retail can't be far behind. Thinking any sort of announcement is coming from Sony any time soon under these conditions is wildly optimistic.

people have other problems rn. I agree.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
It's the end of the World, and here I am, still thinking about mah flops. 🙃

A Wired article amidst the surrounding chaos would do me good. Definitely. But that won't happen, will it? 😔

giphy.gif

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
Nice! Thanks for the reply and the info.

Is this something a lot of companies do? Seems like it would save time and money, but I don't know how accurate it would be.
Yes, this let them find bugs and design flaws early, which, regarding the size of their projects, is far less costly than making a new silicon to test for every revision. But it has its limitation, testing on real silicon is still absolutely necessary, as the manufacturing process will determine the electrical performance characteristics of the silicon, which in turn affects final performance (e.g. how conductive are the physical transistors → how high can frequency go).

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The same in The Netherlands... Restaurants (at least the physical ones where people can sit down), nurseries, schools and all kinds of gathering places like gyms, sport clubs en stuff. Even libraries are shutting down. So yeah fun times..... and idiots are stocking up on stuff without it being needed and only bring problems with it. There is enough food and products..... for weeks and weeks on end.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Yes, this let them find bugs and design flaws early, which, regarding the size of their projects, is far less costly than making a new silicon to test for every revision. But it has its limitation, testing on real silicon is still absolutely necessary, as the manufacturing process will determine the electrical performance characteristics of the silicon, which in turn affects final performance (e.g. how conductive are the physical transistors → how high can frequency go).

I see.

So they can virtualize some stuff and check the results, and then make a physical iteration for testing, then virtualize some changes to that, and sort of get it closer and closer to the final product before finalizing it and signing off on it?

I think I'm becoming so starved for PS5 news that I'm starting to become more interested in a lot of the tech stuff within the hardware industry now.

Bazz Bazz

Feb 5, 2020
Not required, but none of the c.models had the same treatment.

We understand it is speculation. I am not at my desk and am going by memory at the moment. A few of the inconsistencies he mentioned we had found in the past as well, and did not seriously consider as it did not Fit well with the thinking at the time.

A large part of this theory is tied to recent finding, that OberonA0 was associated with CPU-ID 8F40. However, I believe that Ariel_B0 is associated with 8F10 in GitHub, which works with our current understanding.

Now I am not in agreement with him yet, will need to look over my notes tomorrow. At this point I am thinking OberonA0 may have been c.model only.

Parrigatooooo (@isaparrot) | Twitter

The latest Tweets from Parrigatooooo (@isaparrot). Opinions are my own, Parrots and feathered creatures welcome. Seattle, WA

Don't know his source (github leak or another files), but also interesting.

Aladan

Dec 23, 2019
Today was interesting with all the talk on Twitter and other sites. I think we truly will see very comparable consoles and the virtualisation process for AMDs silicon tests seems to be really good.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
I see.

So they can virtualize some stuff and check the results, and then make a physical iteration for testing, then virtualize some changes to that, and sort of get it closer and closer to the final product before finalizing it and signing off on it?

I think I'm becoming so starved for PS5 news that I'm starting to become more interested in a lot of the tech stuff within the hardware industry now.
Hardware designing is really similar to software. Instead of laying out components on a blueprint by hand, you code in Hardware Description Language like Verilog or VHDL, then you "compile" (synthesize) your HDL code into some form of gate level description, which can then be burnt onto a FPGA for testing or put into other CAD softwares for, e.g. floor planning, all before a mask is made and sent to foundries like TSMC. Pure software simulation also exists, though they are obviously slower than FPGAs.

Many principles for software engineering therefore also apply to hardware design.

I feel like Sony has missed the best time for announcement, as COVID-19 goes rampant, but we really cannot blame them, it's unlucky for everyone.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Kind of makes sense that the Oberon steppings were virtual simply because there were way too many steppings for each of those to be different silicon.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019

Edit:
Randy @Carthemanbra
Replying to @WrexTheNerd
I am. Just that my twitter handle doesn't match my name here.

Status
Not open for further replies.