• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 4, 2018
Psychonauts-2.jpg

Metacritic (Xbox Series): 88
Metacritic (PC): 89
Opencritic: 89​

PureXbox: 10/10
Psychonauts 2 is the best game of 2021 so far and one of the greatest sequels ever made.

VG247: 5/5
Psychonauts 2 handles its themes with a deft and gentle hand, nails its humour, and is great to play to boot. It's a game of the year contender.

Newsweek: 10/10
Psychonauts 2 is a testament to how good video game storytelling can be when left to creative people who have been allowed to let their imaginations run wild. It is a must-play experience.

Well-played: 10/10
Psychonauts 2 is exactly what I was hoping for in a follow-up. Double Fine has smartly refined its unique brand of platforming adventure while greatly expanding its narrative qualities. Plus, it's an absolute treat for the eyes and ears. This is how you do a sequel.

Gamingtrend: 100/100
Psychonauts 2 is the perfect sequel. It builds on everything the original game was while adding its own unique spin on gameplay and story. The overworld is a joy to explore and the levels are more stylish and dazzling than ever before with fantastic controls. It's a fantastic experience that will stick with you, and has a ton to see and do.

SomosXbox: 10/10
Psychonauts 2 is one of the best platforms that I have been able to enjoy. It is a game that exudes charisma and personality on all sides and that raises the bar to an even higher level than the first game. It has a gameplay and story that hooks from the first minute and that together with a graphic section, sound and a spectacular performance becomes a serious candidate for GOTY.

Gamerheadquarters: 10/10
It hits you many ways, you'll feel sad at times for what's going on while at the same time having a blast with some well placed jokes throughout. It's also rather deep in its emotional beats and I appreciated that. I never expected such a heartfelt journey, one that was action packed and filled with completely different scenarios. I was very pleased by my time with the game and I really hope that Psychonauts 3 isn't too far off as I want more of this.

Explosionnetwork: 10/10
An absurdly wonderful adventure.

Powerup-gaming: 9.7/10
Psychonauts 2 is a masterpiece of game design, narrative and subtle, yet powerful storytelling. It is a must-play and one of the greatest experiences I've had with video games in my 32-years playing.

TheGamer: 9.5/10
It's rare that a long-awaited sequel does most things right, but this is one of those times and I'm confident in saying that Psychonauts 2 is Double Fine's best game to date and an early contender for game of the year. Just don't keep us waiting a decade for the next one.

EasyAllies: 9.5/10
Its a kinda of game that only comes arround to scan a few times per console generation. In a industry that sometimes feels like its just regurgitating the same cynical product repeatedly. Psychonauts 2 is a beaming ray of unbridled imagination. One that hopefully gets the love its due.

Wccftech: 9.5/10
Psychonauts 2 delivers on everything it madly promises. That includes old school platforming with new school precision, an impressive visual style that never falters, and a world begging to be explored.

Paste Magazine: 9.5/10
Psychonauts 2 asks "how does it feel to feel?", and then shows the answer to us-and the games industry at large-in brilliant colors.

GameGrin: 9.5/10
Psychonauts 2 is an absolutely fantastic game, and I can say that with certainty. Double Fine took an amazing concept that was ahead of its time and proved that they could do it again. The very few issues I had with the game were minor and had absolutely zero bearings on my overall enjoyment of the game.

Godisageek: 9.5/10
Psychonauts 2 completely surpasses the exceptional original game, and if tight platforming and Double Fine charm are what you're into. you should play it asap.

Atomix: 9.4/10
Psychonauts 2 is just brilliant. Double Fine and Tim Schafer is presenting one of the best games of the year and one of the best 3D platformers in a long time.

COGconnected: 9.3/10
So many videogames treat their human characters as singularly good or evil, or worse, as disposable cannon fodder that exist only to be killed. In addition to its excellent platforming, puzzles, and action, Psychonauts 2 impresses the most because it treats human frailty and failure with warmth, compassion, and humor that is never cruel or demeaning. Inside our heads, we're all just bundles of doubt, random connections, ill-considered motivations, and weird memories mixed with kindness, aspiration, and delight. I'm grateful to Psychonauts 2 for the reminder.

XboxEra: 9.2/10
Psychonauts 2 is the best game Double Fine has ever created and the best release by Xbox first-party in many years.

IGN Benelux: 9.2/10

GeneracionXbox: 9.2/10

Gamespot: 9/10
It's an astonishing achievement in nearly every regard and the quintessential display of Double Fine's mastery in story, gameplay, and distinct direction, making it the studio's best game to date.

GameInformer: 9/10
I adored almost every second of Psychonauts 2. It achieves something I don't often see in games – a continual sense of awe as each of its worlds unfold. It took 16 years to reach release, but Double Fine has delivered an incredible sequel. I hope we get a third installment that doesn't take nearly as long to create.

GamesRadar+: 4.5/5
Psychonauts 2 captures the spirit of '90s cartoons and channels it into an imaginative, inventive adventure that never fails to find heart and humor in every one of its consciousness-expanding encounters.

WindowsCentral: 4.5/5
Psychonauts 2 is a fantastic love letter to fans of the original Psychonauts and 3D platformers. If you're in the mood for a game that offers tons of laughs, thought-provoking storytelling, striking visuals, and fun gameplay, look no further than Psychonauts 2.

AttackOfTheFanboy: 4.5/5
Psychonauts 2 was a long time in the making, but the wait has certainly been worth it.

GameRant: 4.5/5
Anyone that was a fan of the original game will likely love Psychonauts 2, as it improves on everything that made the first game great. But newcomers should also make it a point to check the game out, as it's a phenomenal 3D platformer and a Game of the Year contender.

ScreenRant: 4.5/5
Psychonauts 2 is a wonderful platformer adventure game that handles important issues surrounding mental health with wit, charm, and stunning visuals.

HardcoreGamer: 4.5/5
While Psychonauts 2 is an impressive platformer, it doesn't match the perfection of the original. That being said, Psychonauts 2 is one of the year's most enjoyable games and one of the best modern platformers of the past few years.

Comicbook: 4.5/5
As someone who has loved Psychonauts since I first played it over a decade ago, I cannot stress how much joy this sequel has brought me. If you're someone that also loves the original, I have a hard time believing that you won't enjoy this experience from beginning to end. And even if you're a newcomer who has been interested in Psychonauts 2 from afar, there is still more than enough here to keep you smiling from ear to ear on a regular basis. Psychonauts 2 is absolutely one of the best games so far in 2021 and serves as a fantastic example of why Xbox looked to purchase Double Fine in the first place.

Twinfinite: 4.5/5
But fortunately for all of us in this universe, we are blessed to be living in the same time and space where Double Fine is given the chance to make Psychonauts 2 because it is just absolutely fantastic.

Trustedreviews: 4.5/5
Psychonauts 2 is fun, and wonderfully quirky, making it an ideal purchase for any fan of the original or gamer on the hunt for their next platformer. But, after years in development for well over half a decade its graphics and certain gameplay mechanics can feel slightly dated.

Gamereactor: 9/10
Not only is Psychonauts 2 a superior sequel, but it is one of the best platformers that I have ever had the pleasure to play for review.

Ausgamers: 9/10
It's been a long time coming, but it was worth the wait.

GamingBolt: 9/10
Double Fine Productions had a monumental task on their shoulders with Psychonauts 2- making a sequel to a cult classic a over a decade and a half old can be a tricky task, and so often, it's a task that many tend to fail at. But Psychonauts 2 exudes a level of confidence that you'd expect not from a sequel to a really old cult classic, but from a blockbuster game coming from a developer that has all utter confidence in its vision and capabilities.

TheSixthAxis: 9/10
Simply put, Psychonauts 2 has been worth the wait.

PushSquare: 9/10
Psychonauts 2 is consistently creative, enormously fun to play, visually inventive and spectacular and spins a cracking yarn to boot.

Levelup: 9/10
It's an excellent game that I'll be grateful for proving that 3D platformers can be more than just toys for kids.‎

Twisted Voxel: 9/10
Psychonauts 2 is, in my opinion, one of the finest games of 2021. It also feels like a dream game that was not constrained by budgetary restrictions. The presentation is excellent, with long cutscenes, and it is overall a well-polished game. I didn't see any big issues during my playthrough, even on a PS4, which I don't believe was the leading platform. The level design in the sequel outperforms everything in the original game, even the Milkman Conspiracy level.

Stevivor: 9/10
Despite a lockdown hanging over my head, I couldn't help but giggle at its stupid jokes and wackiness. Nor could I help but apply a lesson or two along the way.

TrueAchievements: 9/10
If you think creativity is dead, you haven't played Psychonauts 2.

Shacknews: 9/10
It may be a lot of time to wait for a game as charming and quirky as Psychonauts 2 to arrive, but was it ultimately worth it in the end? I have to say… I entirely think so.

GameMAG: 9/10
Psychonauts 2 is a true sequel, that evolves a lot of ideas from original game, while still stays true to the style the fans love. If you're looking for something special, then this title is fore you. Whimsical and fun Psychonauts 2 is one of the best games we played this year.

Hobbyconsolas: 9/10
Double Fine Studios brings us a brilliant platform game, in which every level offers a fresh experience. We love the characters, the art direction, the music, and the sense of humor. This sequel was worth the wait.

Gamebyte: 9/10
Psychonauts 2 feels like it's the game Double Fine always wanted to make. It incites a childlike, playful nature that I've not experienced in games for ages. At the same time, it deals with some heavy subject topics in ways that feel nuanced. Even if you haven't touched the original, Psychonauts 2 is absolutely worth playing through.

IGN Portugal: 9/10

XboxDynasty.de: 9/10

PC Gamer: 89/100
Improved platforming underpins a glorious return to one of gaming's most inventive and empathic universes.

IGN Italia: 8.8/10

MondoXbox: 8.5/10
Psychonauts 2 is not "only" the sequel to a 2005 cult title. It is a unique platform game of its kind, capable of fearlessly collecting the legacy of the saga and expanding all the elements that have allowed the Psychonauts to carve one space in the hearts of video game lovers.

Gamerevolution: 8.5/10
While its old-school nature can lead to frustration, I was far too enamored by its characters and their heart-warming empathy for one another to let it dampen my enjoyment of this long-awaited sequel.

Everyeye.it: 8.5/10
It is true that he does not invent anything in terms of game mechanics and does not shine from a technical point of view, but he has an extremely distinctive style and manages to cement an imaginary that for many will be unforgettable. Let's give him the space he deserves.

Video Chums: 8.5/10
As far as 3D platformers go, you certainly can't get much more consistently varied than Psychonauts 2 with its trippy environments and nifty psychic abilities. Throw in an excellent cast of characters and memorable story and you're left with one heck of an adventure.

Rectify Gaming: 8.5/10
Psychonauts 2 is not just a worthy sequel to the original, it's Double Fine's finest outing yet.

Reloading: 8.5/10

Jeuxvideo: 17/20
If one feels the mechanics of the old-school 3D platformer at the heart of the structure of Psychonauts 2, the reunion with Raz has never been so modern and pleasant. Funny, touching, ultra creative, more precise in its gameplay than before, Psychonauts 2 is a generous and rhythmic game, which offers between 15 and 20 hours of a particularly successful experience. Certainly, we will deplore a challenge in withdrawal, bosses perhaps less crazy than in the past or the absence of French dubbing, but nothing to sulk his pleasure in the face of this breathless, funny and touching adventure located in a universe that it is so refreshing to explore.

IGN: 8/10
It may bring a bit of that mid-2000s action-platformer clunkiness along with it, but Psychonauts 2 is still just about everything I could have hoped for from a sequel to one of my favorite games.

EGM: 8/10
Psychonauts 2 recaptures the humor, heart, and much of the creative magic of the original game, with modern refinements that make it more pleasant to play. While the combat still feels a bit clunky and outdated compared to the rest of the game, fans of the original will no doubt delight in revisiting old friends and making new ones in this charming adventure.

Destructoid: 8/10
A huge impact was left on me by Psychonauts. While that's not likely to be the same story for Psychonauts 2, I wasn't disappointed. There was no single place that let me down so severely that it soured the overall experience. Nothing that struck me as starkly inferior. It's maybe not quite as genius, but it's still a mind worth exploring.

PressStart: 8/10
Psychonauts 2 brings together classic platforming, an engaging story and well realised combat in a package that feels reminiscent of the best platformers of decades past. Even better, it does this with a visual flair that's unmatched by its contemporaries. It might be more of the same, but given how unique it is, that's hardly a bad thing.

VGC: 4/5
Psychonauts 2 is one of the most relentlessly inventive games we've ever played. It's hard to remember another game that is so consistent in its ability to impress us, to make us laugh, and to make us cry.

VentureBeat: 4/5
The most important thing I can say about Psychonauts 2 is that it's better than the original, which itself was far from a bad game.

Gameblog: 8/10
One of the most refreshing games of 2021.

GameSpew: 8/10
This is a brilliantly designed game, and it's clear a huge amount of ingenuity has gone into its creation. Whether you're battling hand-puppets, talking to a papercraft William Shakespeare or gambling inside a maternity ward (no, really), one thing is for sure: you're going to have a lot of fun playing Psychonauts 2.

Sektor.sk: 8/10
It was worth to wait for this sequel. The game is huge, the gameplay is catchy, only the visuals aren't that good.

Telegraph: 4/5
Prepare to go insane in the brain with one of the year's most imaginative interactive experiences

Metro: 8/10
A great sequel that is just as surreal and imaginative as the original and manages to be both a silly comedy platformer and a surprisingly affecting character study of regret and lost love.

We Got This Covered: 3.5/5
The universe of Psychonauts 2 is as creative and mind-bending as you would expect, but the 3D platforming still feels rooted in the past.

Eurogamer: Recommended
Psychonauts 2 is, once again, a universe of damaged teachers and teaching environments, a space for thinking through dark thoughts with varying degrees of earnestness and absurdity. Its worlds are works of matchless invention, its characters a joy to exist alongside. I might have missed it first time round, but I'm glad that games like this are still being made.

ConsolesCreatures: Recommended
Psychonauts 2 is everything a sequel should be — bigger, bolder, better.

Arstechnica: Buy
But he pulled it off. The whole Double Fine team pulled it off. Psychonauts 2 is one of the best video games I have ever played, and if anything in this review sounds like you and your family's bag, don't hesitate to join me in loving the heck out of it.

Polygon: Unscored
For fans of the original game, Psychonauts 2 is a fantastic follow-up that offers a constant tide of twists and turns. Whether you've been waiting 15 years for the sequel, or are interested in checking the series out for the first time, rest assured that this is one of the most imaginative platforming games out there, with an absolute flood of joyous ideas and images.

Kotaku: Unscored
Psychonauts 2 isn't about gunning down the big boss at the end and cheering over their dead body. It's about understanding that even the biggest asshole is still a person, and deep down they may just need some help. We all need some help sometimes. The key is asking for it. Today, in 2021, it's easy to look around and see people who seem cruel and evil, and to assume they are lost souls, not worth saving. Psychonauts 2 says otherwise. It says that everyone can change. I'm not sure I fully believe that, but I'll be damned if that's not one hell of a hopeful message.

Xboxygen: Unscored
Psychonauts 2 is the sequel to a video game masterpiece, a little-known nugget that still deserves all the praise it received when it was released. Double Fine and Tim Schafer had the difficult task of bringing the first opus out of anonymity while offering a sequel that was up to the task. Psychonauts 2 manages to reach this summit, to stand next to this firmament by taking back what made the first one a critical success while making it more accessible.

Player2: A+
Psychonauts 2 is the best platforming adventure I've played in years, and includes some of the most accurate and respectful explorations of themes of mental health I've ever seen in a game.

Last edited:

DannyVice

Oct 25, 2017
Wow that's absolutely amazing. 9,5 from Ben Moore at Easy Allies excites me more then anything.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Our dear friend Klobrille reviewed Psychonauts 2 for us. The squirrel liked it.
xboxera.com

Review | Psychonauts 2

The original Psychonauts was the first game released by Tim Schafer and the creative studio that is Double Fine Productions. The game was originally

Psychonauts 2 shines by delivering an absurd amount of creativity to the player. The story is filled with heart. The gameplay is smooth and fun. The character cast and the environments show incredible diversity throughout the entire experience. The next brain you'll visit will always be more even more creative than the last, and the game does all that while also being absolutely gorgeous to look at.

Psychonauts 2 is the best game Double Fine has ever created and the best release by Xbox first-party in many years.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
oh man i'm so glad it seems this was worth the wait.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Was not expecting these scores.

Why? The original was a critical darling

Psychonauts

Psychonauts is a wildly surreal action adventure game where personal paranormal powers are unlocked in order to plunge into the minds of bizarre characters. Journey deep into these crazy worlds of infinite possibility to thwart the secret plan of an evil madman and realize the ultimate dream of...

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Our review (Italian), 8.5:

www.mondoxbox.com

Recensione - Psychonauts 2

A distanza di oltre 16 anni dalla loro prima apparizione, gli agenti segreti super speciali partoriti dalla mente del geniale Tim Schafer tornano in azione con Psychonauts 2, sequel ambientato subito dopo gli eventi del primo capitolo. Scopriamo insieme come se la cavano Raz e gli altri...

"Psychonauts 2 is a unique platform game, capable of taking its place in the hearts of video game lovers. The original gameplay, design and script are the strengths of a game that succeeds in keeping us glued to the screen until the end credits. A title that isn't perfect, but that shows how creativity and passion can overcome the limitations of an adventure that no fan of the genre should miss."

Manatron

Feb 6, 2018
Ahhh okay. The last one is a typo. It should be 3.5/5.

3.5/10 seemed bananas when comparing it to the others. I was reading the review and was thinking this seems weirdly positive.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hell yes!!

Having played the first for the first time this year I can't wait for this. Congrats Double Fine!!

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
As expected from that fantastic studio
Such a great way to bring this franchise up to speed with current generations

Oct 31, 2017
The harsher review so far is the one from "We Got this Covered" and even the "flaws" it complains about don't really sound like anything that would bother me.
Like... "the platforming is stuck in the past" because it remembers the first game? Great, I loved the first game.

I think we are good on this one.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
MS getting Double Fine really paid off for this game i guess. Glad they gave them time even tho it isnt fully exclusive

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Not spoiling myself too much with the reviews but sounds exceedingly promising. Playing the original through again prior to its release and Im very excited to see just how mind bending some of these levels get. Glad to hear it seems to have delivered.

PS. Dogen better be in this.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Recommended from Eurogamer: Psychonauts 2 review - a feast for the wandering mind
Psychonauts 2 is, once again, a universe of damaged teachers and teaching environments, a space for thinking through dark thoughts with varying degrees of earnestness and absurdity. Its worlds are works of matchless invention, its characters a joy to exist alongside. I might have missed it first time round, but I'm glad that games like this are still being made.