SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
I'm probably one of the biggest Snyder fan in this forum, and even I haven't watched either Rebel Moon films. Why are y'all hate watching it. It would only make the numbers go up. Do some people really just... would subject themselves to something they obviously would hate just to be able to say they know what they're talking about when they're talking trash about it? Even if it means ensuring it would help the movie be considered a "success" in one metric?

People like to watch car crash too~

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Once upon a time, I had convinced myself that at least Snyder has cool visuals and good action. But from everything I've heard, Rebel Moon 1/2 whiff on both of these fronts too. What a shame.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Urghh...this is so boring, had to stop after like 40 minutes. I'll just wait for the extended cut like a normal person.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, can't say I'm a fan of the Rebel Moon films. Just finished part 2 and all i could think is that I want to watch Seven Samurai.

The assassination scene toward the beginning was dumb as hell. None of the characters feel fleshed out still even though it's been a total of like 4 hours now. Dialogue is dull and stilted.

Some nice visuals and ideas. Robot with the antlers just looks cool always. Actually, the robot is probably the most interesting character in both films and has the least screen time. Nemesis (? - i forget everyone's names) waiting in the long house is just one of those classic action moments that will always feel cool no matter what, so no special points there, but still dug it.

Last edited:

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Without spoiling much? Is this better (or less bad) than the first?
Is there more of the robot guy?

If Yes to robot guy I'll probably watch it.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Without spoiling much? Is this better (or less bad) than the first?
Is there more of the robot guy?

If Yes to robot guy I'll probably watch it.
No. Yes.

Can't wait for that YouTube pitch guy to take the piss out of this one. So we have a 2hr film and instead of those warriors they recruit in Part 1 doing badass things, we have them spend half the film farming wheat. Sounds great!

Last edited:

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Imaginative and exciting are not two words I would use to describe this film. Faaaaar from it. Predictable and bland perhaps.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Watched it last night and I was entertained. Of course slow mo farming is stupid but the action is solid. I really like the villain.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
You can't convince me to watch a film about a space faring empire that just have to attack a village on a planet still using animal for farming.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably one of the biggest Snyder fan in this forum, and even I haven't watched either Rebel Moon films. Why are y'all hate watching it. It would only make the numbers go up. Do some people really just... would subject themselves to something they obviously would hate just to be able to say they know what they're talking about when they're talking trash about it? Even if it means ensuring it would help the movie be considered a "success" in one metric?
I didn't even know the sequel came out until I saw this thread got bumped. I genuinely wonder why people are watching it first day if they hated the first part. I didn't like the first movie very much, but I'll see if I can watch it over the weekend. I do love me some Seven Samurai.

At the very least, I'm enjoying reading the same criticisms that were levied on the first movie in this thread lol. Fool me once, fool me twice etc.

Oct 27, 2017
My big issue with Star Wars was that they talked about moisture farming but never actually did any moisture farming.

And the Empire don't show up in Tatooine and demand Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru provide 10,000 litres of water in like 6 weeks or whatever.

Like, I don't mind stories being low-stakes, but the fact there's a ground battle at all makes no sense. The NotEmpire would have just blasted the village off the face of the planet and broadcast the resulting crater to other fringe planets as a warning to not resist them. Snyder shouldn't have tried to copy Seven Samurai so literally.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
"I'm so glad we got the boring stuff out in part 1"

But also: within the first 30 minutes there's extended slo mo. Integers of the villagers harvesting wheat. Were one step away from slo mo grass growing

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
And the Empire don't show up in Tatooine and demand Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru provide 10,000 litres of water in like 6 weeks or whatever.

Like, I don't mind stories being low-stakes, but the fact there's a ground battle at all makes no sense. The NotEmpire would have just blasted the village off the face of the planet and broadcast the resulting crater to other fringe planets as a warning to not resist them. Snyder shouldn't have tried to copy Seven Samurai so literally.

Is there really no justification for a ground assault versus just blasting it from orbit (or flying the ships into the wooden buildings and destroying them?). Star Wars itself did Seven Samurai twice and didn't run into this problem either time, having the village go up against smaller forces that either needed what the village had stored or didn't have access to spaceships.

Oct 26, 2017
Is there really no justification for a ground assault versus just blasting it from orbit (or flying the ships into the wooden buildings and destroying them?). Star Wars itself did Seven Samurai twice and didn't run into this problem either time, having the village go up against smaller forces that either needed what the village had stored or didn't have access to spaceships.
They really need that grain, apparently

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
They want the rebel leader alive.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
Exposition at a table in a bar, where everyone sits on one side of the table and pulls up chairs to sit either end. A masterstroke of cinematography.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, here is something people are missing about the slo mo farming: It is actually the best part of the film.

Once you get to the unbelievably terrible fighting you'll be wishing to see that slo mo grain threshing action once again.

Here are the actions of our non-Kora and Gunnar "leads" in the last hour of the film:
  • Milius is off screen in a building somewhere, just to emerge towards the end to blow up a single tank.
  • Titus marches towards the bridge screaming and shooting while Tarak is in the background bonking people with axes.
  • Nemesis waits in the longhouse and has one fight entirely in slow motion.
  • Jimmy the Robot finally shows up and blows up a tank.
Compared to the above, the farming is a wonderful time and is the best use of slo mo in the film.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
Holy shit, the flashback scene where

Kirs remembers how the royal family was killed, it's so bad, amateur shit, live musicians playing dramatic music in the background just because, everything is so poorly shot, acted and coreographed, everything in this movie looks like it was never fully developed, i can't believe how stupid everything is

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Action scenes in Rebel Moon makes me think that Zack Snyder had nothing to with this the famous Warehouse scene in Batman v Superman. Or at the very least editor, action choreographer and stunt persons fought very hard to make it the way it in final film. Or, third option, dude straight up forgot how to make action movie.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m7GWGLkPepU

Before I use to able to say that despite him not understanding the character, at least Batman fighting goons looks like freaking Batman fighting goons (sans all the killing). Now I don't feel like giving him any credit for that.

Surround yourself with better people who will challenge you Zack Snyder. And for the love of God, stop reading Ayn Rand.

Last edited:

Rod

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone else find that scene when

Titus starts singing outta nowhere

Unintentionally funny asf? I couldn't... just lost my shit and started lol'ing the moment it happened

I mean

wtf, everybody having a great time, all cool, then this dude comes out of the blue and starts humming some unnintelligible stuff all depressive and all in the middle of the room for all to hear, just killing everyone's mood. Biggest party pooper

This felt so damn awkward and uncalled. Felt really something out of a "The Office" moment. Stuff Michael/Dwight would do.

Can't believe Zack thought this was anything profound or poetic

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Man these movies are REALLY hampered by going for a PG-13 level of violence. I am so confused because Snyder used to be really good at action and he's been able to portray it well in a PG-13 rating even with regular human on human action like the Batman warehouse fight scene in BvS, but he just can't seem to sell the impact here. I feel like he's holding back or just really doesn't know what to do when he can't rely on blood or gore to sell the visceralness like in 300 or superhumans that punch like trucks. Every time someone uses a blade, it just never works and looks silly. Not that it would save either of these trainwrecks.

Did we ever find out why they didn't just do these R rated? It's not like it was ever going to theaters. The only logic I can think of is that they wanted this to be a huge all ages franchise that kids could get in to like Star Wars, but then forgot to include all the things that would need like fun characters, and humor, and a lighter non-edgy tone, etc etc.

Did anyone else find that scene when

Titus starts singing outta nowhere

Unintentionally funny asf? I couldn't... just lost my shit and started lol'ing the moment it happened

I mean

wtf, everybody having a great time, all cool, then this dude comes out of the blue and starts humming some unnintelligible stuff all depressive and all in the middle of the room for all to hear, just killing everyone's mood. Biggest party pooper

This felt so damn awkward and uncalled. Felt really something out of a "The Office" moment. Stuff Michael/Dwight would do.

Can't believe Zack thought this was anything profound or poetic
I didn't find it funny, but I did clock it as awkward. My immediate thought was "Way to kill the vibe Titus".

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Snyder just doesn't know how to do climaxes it's actually insane - all the pieces of a satisfying final 30 minutes are here but he even fucks that up.

Shitty movie

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Man these movies are REALLY hampered by going for a PG-13 level of violence. I am so confused because Snyder used to be really good at action and he's been able to portray it well in a PG-13 rating even with regular human on human action like the Batman warehouse fight scene in BvS, but he just can't seem to sell the impact here. I feel like he's holding back or just really doesn't know what to do when he can't rely on blood or gore to sell the visceralness like in 300 or superhumans that punch like trucks. Every time someone uses a blade, it just never works and looks silly. Not that it would save either of these trainwrecks.

Did we ever find out why they didn't just do these R rated? It's not like it was ever going to theaters. The only logic I can think of is that they wanted this to be a huge all ages franchise that kids could get in to like Star Wars, but then forgot to include all the things that would need like fun characters, and humor, and a lighter non-edgy tone, etc etc.

There is in fact longer unrated cuts of both movies or a single long one coming later this summer as I understand, because for some stupid reason they wanted another Snyder cut marketing gimmick despite it being on Netflix and there not being a need to censor anything or being concerned about lenght.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
This was far better than the first. All the setup there was overindulgent fluff on top of by the numbers writing. So unnecessary. This was a straightforward scifi actioner. Pretty ok but begs the question - you were given a blank check yet this is is your most creative idea?

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
This was far better than the first. All the setup there was overindulgent fluff on top of by the numbers writing. So unnecessary. This was a straightforward scifi actioner. Pretty ok but begs the question - you were given a blank check yet this is is your most creative idea?

For a space opera you should have more space ships battles tbh (and some basic strategy such as the battle of the deathstar in SW1)

aarstar

Oct 29, 2017
I just got through the slo mo farming part. I don't watch many movies, but so far this among the worst I've seen. Still will finish it eventually, but nothing makes any sense. Why is this meager amount of grain so valuable???

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, the flashback scene where

Kirs remembers how the royal family was killed, it's so bad, amateur shit, live musicians playing dramatic music in the background just because, everything is so poorly shot, acted and coreographed, everything in this movie looks like it was never fully developed, i can't believe how stupid everything is

Nah, that was great.

Imagine being such a villain you hire musicians to play while you assassinate a king. I was crying.

Oct 30, 2017
Whats the fuck kind of farming community has anti-gravity carts but not mechanical harvesters and threshers? They're out there flying in spaceships and beating their wheat stalks with sticks.

Seriously what the hell Snyder.

Edit: even just something to pull behind one of their space horses. None of this makes any sense.

Oct 27, 2017

Imagine someone like Guillermo del Toro, Danny Boyle or Alex Garland being given $160m by Netflix and carte blanche to come up with a couple of original sci-fi films. Instead we get Snyder and this derivative underbaked slop.