Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Fun as in overanalyzed crapping on switch for getting the game. Yeah that will happen. Those complaining either don't own a switch or have no plan in purchasing the game anyway.

"Who is ready for Witcher 3, N64 edition, in its 240p 10fps glory?"

"Guys I found the first screenshot of the game" **posts a low poly image without texture**

We've had those since the first rumor months ago.
And the one that will appear if the game is indeed revealed and looks good:

"The Witcher 3 wasn't that demanding to begin with"

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
This recent tweets makes things more interesting, if Witcher 3 is really coming to Switch,
plenty of crows will be served here.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Let be real, the only way TW3 is coming to the Switch is through streaming.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Witcher 3 is my favorite game of all time, beaten it 4 times, twice on PS4 Pro and twice on X1X. I am only interested in this cause i'm curious what had to be adjusted to get this run on the switch.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I'm happy to be wrong. But when AC3 struggles to run I just don't see it handling a game like TW3. Plus game like RE7 already stream to switch in other countries so it's not to far fetched.

RE7 is streamed only in Japan, both RE7 and AC Odyssey that are streaming to Switch didnt had bigger leaks or rumours because that was small project, Witcher 3 rumour is thing quite time now and nothing suggest that we talking about streaming, even rumour from OP suggests we talking about physical game.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
I'm happy to be wrong. But when AC3 struggles to run I just don't see it handling a game like TW3. Plus game like RE7 already stream to switch in other countries so it's not to far fetched.
You do realize that AC3 is running on an older engine that is not properly optimised for Switch?

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to be proved wrong about TW3 on Steam. The game will be heavily compromised, of course it will. But the fact it'll run at all is a real testament to the system. Here's hoping.

Sebalt

Oct 28, 2017
You do realize that AC3 is running on an older engine that is not properly optimised for Switch?

It's the same for The Witcher 3's engine and the case is worst since that game released on more powerful consoles than the Switch. Also, The Witcher 3 is a fuckton bigger than Assassin's Creed III.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm literally going to have to decide between picking this up on my Switch, or XB1X aren't I....

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
It's the same for The Witcher 3's engine and the case is worst since that game released on more powerful consoles than the Switch. Also, The Witcher 3 is a fuckton bigger than Assassin's Creed III.

Both Skyrim and Zelda BotW are bigger than AC3 and they working fine.
How AC3 is running on Switch is not represent how some other games can/could work.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
Both Skyrim and Zelda BotW are bigger than AC3 and they working fine.
How AC3 is running on Switch is not represent how some other games can/could work.

Skyrim is a PS360 game from 2011, and BotW, while artistically and mechanically impeccable, is not exactly a technical prowess, in terms of graphics.

The Witcher 3 on the other hand... It will have to make some serious sacrifices, knowing that the base Xbox One version already had trouble running at a rock-solid 30fps, in 900p, with an alright but not great draw distance of foliage.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Skyrim is a PS360 game from 2011, and BotW, while artistically and mechanically impeccable, is not exactly a technical prowess, in terms of graphics.

The Witcher 3 on the other hand... It will have to make some serious sacrifices, knowing that the base Xbox One version already had trouble running at a rock-solid 30fps, in 900p, with an alright but not great draw distance of foliage.

DQ XI runs at 900p on ps4 if I recall. I do not think that raw numbers are an accurate metric to predict the feasibility of a port. The amount of time and resources dedicated are in my opinion far more relevant. If the port was indeed decided long ago, it probably means that lots resources were invested in it. As it should be, for an ambitious game

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Other more demanding games than AC3 do not struggle tho. AC3 is a port of a last-gen game tailored for las-gen technology (Fewer CPU cores, faster clocked with worse IPC, old GPU architecture) and it probably runs at too high a resolution.
It doesn't seem to be the best porting job anyway. Most PS360 ports have no trouble outperforming the last gen versions CPU-wise, (Like how Dark Souls and Darksiders run at much higher framerates) save for some glaring exceptions.

I see DQ XI, which is a current generation open world game (Also runs at 900p on base PS4) , and it adapts just fine, it's much closer to how The Witcher 3 would adapt than a 7 year old game made for the XBOX 360.

As for RE7, RE7 is not running streamed because of a lack of power, other games like DOOM and Outlast 2 and Wolfenstein and many others work just fine on Switch. RE7 is perfectly playable on the Gpd Win 2, and the Switch consistently outperforms it. They simply didn't want to devote the resources necessary for the port because perhaps they didn't think it was a worthwhile investment. I disagree with their decision, but the poin is there are many reasons not to release a game besides power.

AC3 is a PS360 game from 2012. Skyrim is a good port, AC3 not so much.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
DQ XI runs at 900p on ps4 if I recall. I do not think that raw numbers are an accurate metric to predict the feasibility of a port. The amount of time and resources dedicated are in my opinion far more relevant. If the port was indeed decided long ago, it probably means that lots resources were invested in it. As it should be, for an ambitious game

Sure. The Switch has had good and bad ports.

Still, for such a big, detailed and beautiful world such as TW3, I'm really not holding my breath for anything spectacular on the Switch (hope I'm wrong, and everyone gets to play one of the GOTGs). Raw numbers are not the absolute metric to predict that, as you can find workarounds, and allocate your resources smartly, but they still count for something.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Y'all arguing about how 'downgraded' TW3 will be yet I'm just here expecting reveal-level visual fidelity and additional content a la DQXI. Bring it.

/s.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It needs to look good on the small 720p screen, that's all I need, as I will be playing this badboy in bed.

Not being able to play with all my QoL mods is going to suck big time, though.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
You never imagined that some games just are not very well... optimised ?
Which might explain why some very demanding games are running well while other actually not that impressive have preformance issues ?

The thing is not "can it run", but "how are they gonna make it run", that's it. Same for EVERY single game.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I'm literally going to have to decide between picking this up on my Switch, or XB1X aren't I....

You'll choose the X. Unless you really, really value the portability over visuals/performance.

I'd chose the switch version myself because of my lifestyle is mainly spent away from home. So graphics mean absolutely nothing now-a-days. I generally now have to choose between Switch version or just not getting the game at all. There's exceptions with exclusive or critically acclaimed AAA that I just can't ignore (like Spider-man) where I will just have to find some hours on the weekend, but those are usually precious hours that I choose wisely.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So much smoke surrounding this port. I'll be pretty disappointed if it doesn't happen...

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
You'll choose the X. Unless you really, really value the portability over visuals/performance.

I'd chose the switch version myself because of my lifestyle is mainly spent away from home. So graphics mean absolutely nothing now-a-days. I generally now have to choose between Switch version or just not getting the game at all. There's exceptions with exclusive or critically acclaimed AAA that I just can't ignore (like Spider-man) where I will just have to find some hours on the weekend, but those are usually precious hours that I choose wisely.
Yeah, if you have enough time to play on a stationary system and don't prefer handheld gaming, then the X is the obvious choice. However, if you don't have enough time to dedicate in front of a TV/computer screen, then the Switch is your best option.

That's also why a Switch port is always a wanted option, even if it means significant graphical downgrades: it gives people who otherwise wouldn't have had the time to play the game an opportunity to play it.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Achieving a good port of a PS360 game doesn't mean it can easily run a PS4One game. You can easily mess up things you can handle, but it's hard to achieve what you can't (hardly) handle.
Alternatively, a bad port of a PS360 game is not really indicative of what a current gen port can look like. There are last gen ports that cannot even keep 30FPS on current gen consoles.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
#TeamStream, I think this will be the start of Nintendo's push into streaming too

The thing putting me off Team Stream is that it would have just been shadow dropped like RE7 Cloud Edition. The fact it's not been announced yet makes me feel they're developing it for the Switch and will announce it when it's in a presentable state.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
Alternatively, a bad port of a PS360 game is not really indicative of what a current gen port can look like. There are last gen ports that cannot even keep 30FPS on current gen consoles.

Yep, totally. Still, it's harder to achieve a good current-gen port than a old-gen one. (in terms of render quality/fidelity)

I don't think TW3 is not feasible, full-stop, on the Switch. I just think it might run poorly and not look very good (EDIT: which would be a shame, with such a looker of a game, where the beauty of the world is one of the main draws). But with will, resources and time, of course it can "run".

Status
Not open for further replies.