Sep 22, 2019
I don't understand this," AB acquisition has given Microsoft 13 different video-game franchises worth $1 billion" and then you proceed to mention the following games which are not published by AB??

Minecraft

Halo

Gears of War

Forza

feel like he meant 13 in total after the acqusition, dont think AB would have 13 billion dollar franchises

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand this," AB acquisition has given Microsoft 13 different video-game franchises worth $1 billion" and then you proceed to mention the following games which are not published by AB??

Minecraft

Halo

Gears of War

Forza
The thing I'm trying to understand is whether the statement means:

- Activision has 13 "billion dollar" franchises, which MS has been "given"

- MS now has 13 "billion dollar" franchises, thanks to Activision giving them some number.

I was assuming the former, but everyone else seems to have interpreted it as the latter.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Diablo and Guitar Hero are easily over a billion. Skylanders too. Tony Hawk is there.

Crash Bandicoot, StarCraft, and Spyro are probably there.

Last edited:

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
COD
Warcraft
Overwatch
Starcraft
Diablo
Candy Crush
Guitar Hero
Skylanders
Crash
Tony Hawk
Hearthstone
Spyro?
???

I'm pretty sure it's just Activision that has 13.

DJtal

Oct 30, 2017
Capetown / South Africa
Not a single week I don't play Flight Simulator (Bought it for my daughter to be familiar with "all the buttons"). It's extremely popular on PC and it's been around for a long time.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Satya just said "We will have 13 $1B+ franchises" and in that included "from Candy Crush, Diablo, Halo, to Warcraft, Elder Scrolls, Gears of War". So it isn't +13 from ABK alone.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
Are we honestly sure this doesn't mean 13 NEW franchises worth at least a billion? Because there are definitely more than 13 total. Off the top of my head, just from ABK:

Candy Crush
Farm Heroes Saga (I'm pretty sure Phil mentioned this in his blog post)
Call of Duty
Modern Warfare/Black Ops (could potentially be separate, but that feels like a stretch)
Crash
Spyro
Tony Hawk
Guitar Hero
Warcraft
Starcraft
Diablo
Overwatch
Hearthstone

That's 13, but Modern Warfare/Black Ops could probably be subbed for a different 13th one, maybe there's another Blizzard or King game I'm not aware of (or maybe they're counting WoW as separate from Warcraft)?

OP
OP
Marano

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro

Minecraft

Halo

Gears of War

Forza

feel like he meant 13 in total after the acqusition, dont think AB would have 13 billion dollar franchises

The thing I'm trying to understand is whether the statement means:

- Activision has 13 "billion dollar" franchises, which MS has been "given"

- MS now has 13 "billion dollar" franchises, thanks to Activision giving them some number.

I was assuming the former, but everyone else seems to have interpreted it as the latter.

Diablo and Guitar Hero are easily over a billion. Skylanders too. Tony Hawk is there.

Crash Bandicoot, StarCraft, and Spyro are probably there.

Surely the DOOM franchise must have made over 1 billion dollars by now?

Especially considering:

www.gamebyte.com

DOOM Eternal Made Half A Billion Dollars Without Using Microtransactions

DOOM Eternal managed to make $450 million without the use of microtransactions, according to iD Software’s Product Management Lead.

It probably does mean 13 franchises from the acquisition though.

COD
Warcraft
Overwatch
Starcraft
Diablo
Candy Crush
Guitar Hero
Skylanders
Crash
Tony Hawk
Hearthstone
Spyro?
???

Are we honestly sure this doesn't mean 13 NEW franchises worth at least a billion? Because there are definitely more than 13 total. Off the top of my head, just from ABK:

Candy Crush
Farm Heroes Saga (I'm pretty sure Phil mentioned this in his blog post)
Call of Duty
Modern Warfare/Black Ops (could potentially be separate, but that feels like a stretch)
Crash
Spyro
Tony Hawk
Guitar Hero
Warcraft
Starcraft
Diablo
Overwatch
Hearthstone

That's 13, but Modern Warfare/Black Ops could probably be subbed for a different 13th one, maybe there's another Blizzard or King game I'm not aware of (or maybe they're counting WoW as separate from Warcraft)?
I think I was blindsided by it (seems like most people were) and the 13 are really only ABK franchises.
Satya just said "We will have 13 $1B+ franchises" and in that included "from Candy Crush, Diablo, Halo, to Warcraft, Elder Scrolls, Gears of War". So it isn't +13 from ABK alone.
But then there is this from vixolus.

Sep 22, 2019
listen if satya includes guitar hero and tony hawk as billion dollar franchises im selling MSFT stock

all we investors care about is the future potential

OP
OP
Marano

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
So it seems Guitar Hero and Doom are also 1 Billion + but I dont see how any of the franchises in my list could be taken out of it, so what gives?

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I'm going to say he either misspoke, or he's talking about active franchises, in which case something like Guitar Hero doesn't count.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Candy Crush alone is worth more than most of those combined btw

COD included.

It's really funny watching people continually forget about and underestimate King and Candy Crush's value in this acquisition, since it's the kind of game that most capital-G Gamers would never give a shit air and they're the dominant voice in game coverage and discourse.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Crash Bandicoot is up there surely?
The assumed number of sales for the franchise as a whole is somewhere between 50-60+ m copies (40m was the official number in 2007, the trilogy sold 10m and we can assume that the last 3 games (CTR, 4 and Rumble) have move a couple of millions). Pretty sure that it is a billion dollar franchise, but given the ups and downs the franchise has had/different owners, would not be surprise if ABK doesn't consider it a billion dollar franchise from their run with the character.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
The assumed number of sales for the franchise as a whole is somewhere between 50-60+ m copies (40m was the official number in 2007, the trilogy sold 10m and we can assume that the last 3 games (CTR, 4 and Rumble) have move a couple of millions). Pretty sure that it is a billion dollar franchise, but given the ups and downs the franchise has had/different owners, would not be surprise if ABK doesn't consider it a billion dollar franchise from their run with the character.

It would seem that they do. I can't find it right now for some reason, but multiple times post-revival they have referred to it with those words exactly in licensing catalogues and copy for partners.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
The thing with Crash is that the series never really had a dip in sales. Even in the wilderness years the games would hit two-three million milestones even if they weren't all that good in the grand scheme.

For example, lots of people peg the Titans games being abject failures that sent Crash to the grave, when that was hardly the case at all. They were commercial hits. Going far as greenlighting two more Crash games off the success of the last game of the series at the time before the hiatus, Mind Over Mutant. Those games got canceled but it had nothing do to with the commercial performance of the series at the time.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Skylanders and Guitar Hero are both technically billion dollar franchise I think. Acti just ran them into the ground years ago.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
COD
Warcraft
Overwatch
Starcraft
Diablo
Candy Crush
Guitar Hero
Skylanders
Crash
Tony Hawk
Hearthstone
Spyro?
???

They made so many Cabela games I wouldn't be shocked if thats one of them but I believe they dont have the IP license anymore.
There's also Bubble Witch Saga.

Last edited:

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
COD included.

It's really funny watching people continually forget about and underestimate King and Candy Crush's value in this acquisition, since it's the kind of game that most capital-G Gamers would never give a shit air and they're the dominant voice in game coverage and discourse.

Not quite, CoD numbers rival Candy

But yes, the acquisition was mostly about Candy and its been funny seeing that get completely ignored in coverage, usually referring to it as the "Activision Blizzard" acquisition conveniently forgetting the "King" part lol

May 31, 2022
Here's the exact quote from the Microsoft FY 2024 Q1 earnings call, Satya reports that Microsoft "will have 13 billion dollar-plus franchises" and lists Candy Crush, Diablo, Halo, Warcraft, Elder Scrolls and Gears of War as some of them:

And, with Activision Blizzard King, we will now add significant depth to our content portfolio.

We will have 13 billion dollar-plus franchises – from Candy Crush, Diablo, and Halo, to Warcraft, Elder Scrolls, and Gears of War.

And we are looking forward to one of our strongest first party holiday lineups ever, including new titles like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III and Forza Motorsport.