• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kalindana

Oct 28, 2018
variety.com

Scooby-Doo Live-Action Series in the Works at Netflix

A live-action Scooby-Doo series could soon be coming to Netflix, Variety has learned from sources.

A live-action Scooby-Doo series could soon be coming to Netflix, Variety has learned from sources.

The one-hour drama project is said to be nearing a deal at the streamer with a script-to-series commitment. Exact plot details are being kept under wraps aside from the fact it will be based on the Hanna-Barbera cartoon. Warner Bros. Television will produce, with the studio having recently launched the "Dead Boys Detectives" series at Netflix.

Josh Appelbaum and Scott Rosenberg serve as writers and will also executive produce along with André Nemec and Jeff Pinkner under their Midnight Radio banner. Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schechter, and Leigh London Redman will executive produce via Berlanti productions (the company is currently under an overall deal at WBTV). Jonathan Gabay of Berlanti Productions and Adrienne Erickson will co-executive produce.

Jun 22, 2021
It's gonna be hard to top the OG live-action cast.

Praying that this won't be like the Riverdale live action show.

Not gonna write the show off immediately but I remain skeptical

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

We can only wish that one of the seasons of this show ends with Daphne becoming the vessel for the Phoenix Force and blowing up an extinction-level meteor.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Better fucking have Matthew Lillard in it.
"Now we'll see who Springtrap REALLY is!"
maxresdefault.jpg

"OLD MAN LILLARD?!"

PimentaGui

Jul 29, 2021
Is there a writers problem in Hollywood?

Josh Appelbaum and Scott Rosenberg previous work credits are Netflix's Cowboy Bebop and Amazon's Citadel

How the fuck these people keep getting the job?

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017

Josh Appelbaum and Scott Rosenberg previous work credits are Netflix's Cowboy Bebop and Amazon's Citadel

Many jobs, not just entertainment, are based on nepotism and "who you know".

See the writers of Morbius, Madame Webb, and Gods of Egypt continuously getting work.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Shaggy and Scooby go back in time to kill Past Shaggy before he can clone Abraham Lincoln. Meanwhile, Fred and Daphne are still attempting to hide their accidental bout of cannibalism from their new record label as Velma's leprosy takes a new and startling turn.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017

yeah, I seriously don't get hollywood sometimes. Like, they let the dudes who wrote Morbius write Madame Web.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
the live action movies were already kind of meta and lampooned the tropes of the tv show. In contrast, the best thing this one could do is play it completely straight.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017

It's crazy that no one has really done the original of bad guy is just a guy in the mask but instead the bad guy isn't some ethereal crap. Like all of the rehashes over time have never been "Its a guy in a mask" but it's always some alternate dimension ghost.

bleck98534

Feb 18, 2023
I would prefer animation, but I suppose it has been a while since a live-action Scooby-Doo thing. I hope they bring back Scrappy-Doo as a regular feature, at least.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like the original live action cast so sure why not. I watched Velma so I might as well watch this.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
As a life long Scooby Doo fan, I am always and forever will be in for more Scooby Doo content regardless if they bring back Matthew Lillard or not. I for one always welcome new iterations of stuff, I just hope this does lean into being more like Mystery Inc more than anything else

GifGafJef

Dec 19, 2022
Zazlav and the new owners are idiots that's why. Same people that gave the next Batman animated show to Amazon Prime
Evidently they think itd be more profitable to sell the show/property for profit.Dont get whats so strange to understand about it.

I thiunk before HBO MAX launched they sold the rights to Sandman to Netflix.That show could have been a universe of shows for Max but i figure like this show they think they can profit more selling to others than having it on their streaming service.

Ted lasso(arguably one of the few legitimately successful Apple shows?), Abbott elementary two of the bigger comedic shows of the last while are also warner shows iirc.

I wondered what Berlanti would be doing for Warner tv after the renewed deal. He built his success on the Cw DC shows all of which did well on netflix far as i know. So more of him on Netflix makes sense.

Oct 27, 2017
Evidently they think itd be more profitable to sell the show/property for profit.Dont get whats so strange to understand about it.

I thiunk before HBO MAX launched they sold the rights to Sandman to Netflix.That show could have been a universe of shows for Max but i figure like this show they think they can profit more selling to others than having it on their streaming service.

Ted lasso(arguably one of the few legitimately successful Apple shows?), Abbott elementary two of the bigger comedic shows of the last while are also warner shows iirc.

I wondered what Berlanti would be doing for Warner tv after the renewed deal. He built his success on the Cw DC shows all of which did well on netflix far as i know. So more of him on Netflix makes sense.
Yea, Warner has been selling shows to other platforms way before Zaslav. Not sure why people are having an issue with it now all of a sudden.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
You're all talking about Riverdale, but the Sabrina adaptation was pretty great for what it was.

I'm down.

(I also loved Riverdale, excepted for the last boring season).