• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/new-on-paramount-plus/

Paramount+ Sent Press Sites the schedule (they do not have a press release site where they release the schedule).

Paramount previously stated that starting this year, after 45 days in theaters, it's movies will be available on Paramount+ in the US. This was the case with A Quiet Place Part II.

It's possible they may add it later. But if you decided to pass on seeing it in theaters (like most people), and thought "meh. Maybe when it's on streaming", you may have to wait a bit longer for it.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Lol if Paramount+ is using Snake Eyes as the movie they're holding back, they need to get a grip. Movie should have gone straight to streaming in the first place

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How was this available for piracy? Even 4K version?

I am not promoting piracy, and I wouldn't even watch this movie. But I thought a legit copy HAD to exist in order for it to become available to download?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of that recent Sherlock Holmes movie that was so bad not even Netflix wanted to stream it.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
probably trying to get every cent out of it on VOD first, sets a bad precedent moving forward though, they can easily hold bigger films like Top Gun or Mission Impossible for whatever reason now.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
probably trying to get every cent out of it on VOD first, sets a bad precedent moving forward though, they can easily hold bigger films like Top Gun or Mission Impossible for whatever reason now.

What? Is anyone surprised that something like this could happen? It was never always going to be 45 days and then straight to home streaming services. It was always going to be 45 days was the earliest it could happen, not that it was the earliest it would happen. They're always going to take the path that makes them the most money. The 45 day window just gives them more flexibility.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
It wasn't great but I've seen much much worse. Pacing and character logic was about as well done as a walking dead character, and shaky cam was all up in that bitch but the performances of the cast elevated it to watchable.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
What? Is anyone surprised that something like this could happen? It was never always going to be 45 days and then straight to home streaming services. It was always going to be 45 days was the earliest it could happen, not that it was the earliest it would happen. They're always going to take the path that makes them the most money. The 45 day window just gives them more flexibility.
it's just interesting they didnt hold Quiet Place 2, which wouldve made a killing on VOD, maybe they saw the #'s and thought fuck it.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
it's just interesting they didnt hold Quiet Place 2, which wouldve made a killing on VOD, maybe they saw the #'s and thought fuck it.

I'm sure they're still feeling out what works best, but the idea of holding back bigger films was always going to happen in the long run.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
lol I saw this thread 3-4x and I just realized this isn't about the nick cage-gary sinise movie by the same name.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Good luck with that. Movie isn't worth anyone's time or money. It's terrible.

What really makes me hate it is how they ruined the action with stupid editing decisions. Action that would've clearly been pretty good otherwise.

OP
OP
ContractHolder

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017

That loses a big intensive for subscribing to the service though. Having A Quiet Place Part II on the service shortly after the majority of regular theater goers saw it, while still being relevant for those who didn't want to go to the theater, was pretty big. That helped it stand out when it needed something against the other services.

Plus HBO Max and Peacock next year have committed to 45 days after all their films are in theaters to putting them on their service. So that makes Paramount+ look worse.

Only AQP II and MI7 are 45 days after

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
just read up on this, and it looks like only QP2 and MI7 are 45day windows, everything else is full theatrical run and in some cases full on VOD runs before it becomes available. Not sure if it's just old contract bullshit or them just testing things, but P+ getting worse by the day.

OP
OP
ContractHolder

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
just read up on this, and it looks like only QP2 and MI7 are 45day windows, everything else is full theatrical run and in some cases full on VOD runs before it becomes available. Not sure if it's just old contract bullshit or them just testing things, but P+ getting worse by the day.

Aw seriously? That sucks.

Also weird that they'd only do it for two movies. I hope they course correct soon.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
That loses a big intensive for subscribing to the service though. Having A Quiet Place Part II on the service shortly after the majority of regular theater goers saw it, while still being relevant for those who didn't want to go to the theater, was pretty big. That helped it stand out when it needed something against the other services.

Short term, you might see these, long term, expect less of them. You have to realize some are using them as leverage to grow the subscriber base but that's only a temporary move that they do. You'll still get some, but expecting everything is going to lead to disappointment. They mix some of those in, and will also work with exclusive streaming content. The budgets on a lot of these movies don't make it feasible to always come straight to the streaming service after 45 days.

Plus HBO Max and Peacock next year have committed to 45 days after all their films are in theaters to putting them on their service. So that makes Paramount+ look worse.

No they didn't. You need to look at those announcements again. Warner and AMC announced an agreement to a 45 day exclusive theatrical window in 2022; Warner did not commit that all their movies will go to HBO Max after 45 days. The same with Universal and Peacock. In fact, the news about Universal states that movies will hit no later than 4 months on Peacock after their theatrical debut so that's around up to 120 days. Don't mistake the 45 day agreements with the theaters as confirmation that they're coming straight to the streaming services after that 45 day window. You should also expect even after 45 days, some movies will still be theatrical exclusives. The agreement just gives the studios the flexibility and option to do something with the movie after 45 days; it doesn't guarantee that it will be elsewhere in 45 days.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have Plex, Netflix, Disney+,HBO Max, and Amazon Prime. These studios think they can play chicken with me during Covid?

OP
OP
ContractHolder

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Short term, you might see these, long term, expect less of them. You have to realize some are using them as leverage to grow the subscriber base but that's only a temporary move that they do. You'll still get some, but expecting everything is going to lead to disappointment. They mix some of those in, and will also work with exclusive streaming content. The budgets on a lot of these movies don't make it feasible to always come straight to the streaming service after 45 days.

No they didn't. You need to look at those announcements again. Warner and AMC announced an agreement to a 45 day exclusive theatrical window in 2022; Warner did not commit that all their movies will go to HBO Max after 45 days. The same with Universal and Peacock. In fact, the news about Universal states that movies will hit no later than 4 months on Peacock after their theatrical debut so that's around up to 120 days. Don't mistake the 45 day agreements with the theaters as confirmation that they're coming straight to the streaming services after that 45 day window. You should also expect even after 45 days, some movies will still be theatrical exclusives. The agreement just gives the studios the flexibility and option to do something with the movie after 45 days; it doesn't guarantee that it will be elsewhere in 45 days.

Crap, you're right. I forgot it was four months for Peacock. My bad.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
They release the movie several weeks early to VOD from it's previously stated dates, I imagine they are seeing some money coming in from early VOD and are gonna want to not rush things to the service while some money can still be made. It was originally thought this was gonna hit everything the same day including Paramount, they stealth dropped it on VOD several weeks early.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they just want everyone to forget it was a thing so they can reboot GI Joe again.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Actually recently watched this with my dad and a friend of mine off VOD. Complete dull-fest of a movie and surprisingly weird in a bad way.

Straight to streaming's where it belongs and if the idea is that they're trying to squeeze whatever extra coin they can they're tripping.