Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Hey everyone,

I was recently checking out Sackboy and Returnal on the Steam Store and noticed that Sony has raised the prices for some regions. Here are the changes I found:

• Argentina: from 5999 Pesos to 9999 Pesos.
  • Canada: from 69.99$ to 79.99$.
  • Chile: from 39500 to 42000.
  • China: from 379RMB to 414 RMB.
  • Colombia: from 194000 to 219000.
  • Japan: from 5900 Yen to 7590 Yen.
  • South Korea: from 58800 Won to 62800 Won.
It's unfortunate to see these price increases, especially for those who were already struggling to afford new games. Let's hope that Sony has a good reason for this and that it won't become a trend for other companies to follow.

What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Canada price is incorrect. Returnal like other PS5 exclusives are $89.99 in Canada like all the other current gen only games are.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
good thing sony games on pc fall in price so quickly. sony is out here selling gow and spidey for 40 thru steam when they are already 20 on key resellers

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Canadian PS5 games have been $90 since the start of the gen, and PS4/crossgen games have been $80 for years.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Those prices have been unchanged at least in Japan and Canada since those games launched. Check a site like Psprices.

Edit: nevermind, I skipped the Steam part. My bad!

OP
OP
Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Canada price is incorrect. Returnal like other PS5 exclusives are $89.99 in Canada like all the other current gen only games are.

It doesnt apply to all games or they are rolling them out slowly.
Thats Sackboy for Canada:

image.png

Those prices have been unchanged at least in Japan and Canada since those games launched. Check a site like Psprices.

Sackboy went from 5900 to 7590 in Japan:

image.png

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Lol Sony...let's see when their releases will flop, giving the fault to players not purchasing their products...

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I did some checking on SteamDB cause you were worried about other companies following but it seems like Sony is trying to catch up in this regard. In some regions games from Xbox and EA such as Redfall or Jedi Survivor (using examples from the biggest publishers) come in the same if not more expensive than something like Returnal post increase.

EDIT: To add on Sony has gone beyond the other 2 used as examples, specifically in Argentina.

Last edited:

CornIsGood

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'll just wait a bit longer for even steeper discounts then. Pretty shit move to put the prices up for already released games like this.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I got confused because the OP mentions PlayStation Store but the title mentions Steam, so in case anyone else is wondering:

In Canada, the PS Store base price has not changed for either game. Sackboy is $79.99 and Returnal is $89.99, same as they've always been.

The Steam prices, however, have changed as the OP outlined. Both games were $69.99 until yesterday; about an hour after the store sales refresh (which happens around 1pm generally), the prices jumped on both games to $79.99.

Other storefronts have not been affected. Yet. EGS, for example, still has them at $69.99, and key resellers like Green Man Gaming, Humble and Fanatical don't seem to have changed either.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
wtf at the Argentina pricing

Sony just doesn't want their games to sell I guess 🤷‍♂️

Altezein

User requested ban - Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
wtf at the Argentina pricing

Sony just doesn't want their games to sell I guess 🤷‍♂️
We have over 100% annual inflation, and our currency is devaluing against the dollar at a high pace. It's sad, but it isn't Sony's fault. Capcom adjusted the price of RE4 recently too. Our store is in Argentinian pesos (ARS), not USD, so prices can't stay the same forever. We experience price changes in our economies DAILY, food prices go up every day.... it's fucking crazy, and poverty is rapidly increasing too (over 40%).

Edit: some more context.

Last edited:

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I only ever buy games on Steam on Sale. I just hope the sales price goes lower lol

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
If I didn't buy either game before this price increase because they were too expensive, I'm sure as hell not going to purchase them now.

Good job, Sony.

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
Yes of course, I mean those are first world countries, they can afford it and then some!
/s

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure publishers will act very shocked when piracy goes up in these regions

Altezein

User requested ban - Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
That Argentina one is a 66% price increase! Very confusing why they would do this.
Read my post above. I'm argentinian, all publishers raise prices every few months because our currency is devaluing at a very high pace, and annual inflation is over 100%. No way prices in Pesos stay the same. It's not Sony's fault, nor capcom, Square or Namco Bandai. It's our fucking government.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Yeah because the can bank from wealthy countries like... *check notes* Argentina, Colombia and Chile.

We all know what's the real reason and have been discussed in other steam regional prices.
Assuming you mean people jumping regions to get games cheaper, I'm not sure how this contradicts with what I said

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017

Robaperas

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
It's almost like a flat bump in CLP, like 2500 raise on all Sony games on Steam (2500CLP ~= 3USD)
Yeah, it's like 1 kg of bread; full priced Sony games are still cheaper than EA or Activision games, which are like 10 or 15k CLP more expensive. It sucks to see price hikes, but at least they discount their games faster than other publishers.

ALXJ

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Feb 16, 2021
jesus at least ONCE i wasnt affected by price changes

i'll be blunt and honest: although I don't condemn people creating acc in other regions to pay less, companies are using this as an argument to raise the prices in regions in which videogames are already really, really difficult to have access to. Seeing just values, you can't see the big picture:

Let's get the US lowest income:
7.25 USD/hour. That's +/- 58 dollars a day (8 hours of work), 1160 USD/month
A full price game is 70 USD + tax. Let's say 77 USD. About 6.64% of the person monthly income

A game in my country is about 60 USD (including taxes). But my minimum wage is about 250 USD (!). Thats 24% of the person monthly income. It is an expensive luxury item. Sony (and all major publishers) need to be held accountable for how they treat the southern hemisphere consumers. The only publisher that localizes its title in my country is Capcom and Arcsys, and honestly, i don't know for how much long.

(*edit: that's a perspective of a country that currently is out of any major major major economic recession even being in the southern hemisphere. that's not the situation in everywhere around here. But even in countries that are facing right now big inflation values, there should be a duty to the consumer to guarantee the prices or at least be warned in advance. people and services are terrible and the providers couldn't care less most of the time)

Last edited:

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
First time? Sony increased their prices last year or last two year in my country. They're the best.

Oct 25, 2017
Valve itself also increased all recommended regional prices in October 2022. Sackboy's prices were set (pre-orders were up) before the Valve increase.

Celestial Descend

Corrupted by Vengeance
Aug 15, 2022
Sony and Square Enix are the only two major publishers that have no regional pricing. On the bright side, at least it's not some publisher that I actually care about.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
This is the 3rd time HZD has had a price increase for China btw. Two of them were before launch. And with this they've completely turned off regional pricing.

Taleboules

Community Manager at Light Brick Studio
Verified
Jun 11, 2021
Hey everyone,

I was recently checking out Sackboy and Returnal on the Steam Store and noticed that Sony has raised the prices for some regions. Here are the changes I found:

• Argentina: from 5999 Pesos to 9999 Pesos.
  • Canada: from 69.99$ to 79.99$.
  • Chile: from 39500 to 42000.
  • China: from 379RMB to 414 RMB.
  • Colombia: from 194000 to 219000.
  • Japan: from 5900 Yen to 7590 Yen.
  • South Korea: from 58800 Won to 62800 Won.
It's unfortunate to see these price increases, especially for those who were already struggling to afford new games. Let's hope that Sony has a good reason for this and that it won't become a trend for other companies to follow.

What are your thoughts on this?
These are simply Steam's Regional Pricing Recommendations.

D O T

Jan 1, 2021
My region already got fucked on pricing earlier this year, still got me pissed once in a while seeing some games on my wishlist got their prices raised, so yeah...

simpson.gif

Last edited:

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
We have over 100% annual inflation, and our currency is devaluing against the dollar at a high pace. It's sad, but it isn't Sony's fault. Capcom adjusted the price of RE4 recently too. Our store is in Argentinian pesos (ARS), not USD, so prices can't stay the same forever. We experience price changes in our economies DAILY, food prices go up every day.... it's fucking crazy, and poverty is rapidly increasing too (over 40%).

Damn, take care y'all

Amir

Jun 7, 2018

At least you have some store in your currency. We are like homeless that uses turkey or argentinian stores and still can't buy games with salary lower than price of two game in month.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not primarily a PC gamer so I'm not familiar with the system but how are key resellers able to sell Steam keys for way cheaper than what the games cost on Steam? Do they acquire keys from the cheapest market of the same region and sell those below the regular price of other countries in the same region?
If so then people who buy from key resellers directly influence publishers wanting to plug those "holes" by raising prices, no?

Oct 27, 2017
Piracy gonna be on the rise again and youll have these same companies going suprise pikachu face on why lower income countries are doing this

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Groceries costs on the rise, video game costs on the rise, damn we living hard times in Canada.

Nrober

Banned
Apr 1, 2021
Taking a glance at the Argentine pesos to USD exchange rate for the last year, these price increases seem reasonable. Don't hate on Sony for things outside its own control.

It's not Sony responsible for Argentina's total inability to enact sensible fiscal policies to avoid such issues.