DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She is alive and well at the end. She might go up in the force when she eventually dies for all we know.

But now I realise you guys were referring to the moment she's deadish for a sec before Ben sacrifices himself.
Indeed, if she had unlocked the Force Ghost ability, she should have vanished immediately at that moment

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Becoming one with the Force is not always instant. The bodies of Qui-Gon, Vader, and Leia all hung around for awhile after they died, but all three people are one with the Force now.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm getting into streaming more and have made it a goal for myself to setup a schedule. So far so good! I'm mostly streaming Halo but I'm currently play Battlefront 2 and will probably do so every Wednesday from here on out for Triple XP. I'm close to 50 followers which will get Twitch Affiliate so if you can a follow would much appreciative!

https://www.twitch.tv/arewhyayein

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Becoming one with the Force is not always instant. The bodies of Qui-Gon, Vader, and Leia all hung around for awhile after they died, but all three people are one with the Force now.
I thought Qui-Gon wasn't instant because he didn't know the full ability (only his voice became one with the Force, he can't manifest his body)

The Vader thing is ambiguous and was before they really codified any of that

Leia I don't remember how it went (like half of TROS lol)

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
who you talking about?

vader?

Force ghosts have always been inconsistent in the franchise (Special Edition Anakin looks young, but not Kenobi? How long does it take to disappear anyway?), but having Kylo immediately disappear upon death, and Rey not disappear is hilarious.

Never mind the intricacies of the plot, the hows and whys, I'm talking on a purely thematic and karmic level, Kylo disappearing into the Force and Rey not when she dies, is hilarious to me. In Star Wars visual language, disappearing upon death is like a reward.

I don't think it was even necessary for his body to disappear. Would there have been complaints if he hadn't? Doubtful.

But now through repetition, it's becoming the norm for villains who find redemption, that if you do something nice towards the end of a villainous life, you can retain consciousness after death. Anakin had his 'chosen one' excuse to fall back on. A popular excuse I've seen for Kylo is "Luke taught him! It's one of the lessons at the Academy!"

Poor Rey. If only Luke had taught her too in between sipping all that blue milk.

I look forward to more variations on force ghost shenanigans. Yoda calling down lightning was interesting. I wonder if we can have an antagonist who is a force ghost for the entirety of a trilogy. Like, a Sith who has managed to do the impossible, to carry his consciousness after death. How do you defeat a Sith ghost!?

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Force ghosts have always been inconsistent in the franchise (Special Edition Anakin looks young, but not Kenobi? How long does it take to disappear anyway?), but having Kylo immediately disappear upon death, and Rey not disappear is hilarious.

Never mind the intricacies of the plot, the hows and whys, I'm talking on a purely thematic and karmic level, Kylo disappearing into the Force and Rey not when she dies, is hilarious to me. In Star Wars visual language, disappearing upon death is like a reward.

I don't think it was even necessary for his body to disappear. Would there have been complaints if he hadn't? Doubtful.

But now through repetition, it's becoming the norm for villains who find redemption, that if you do something nice towards the end of a villainous life, you can retain consciousness after death. Anakin had his 'chosen one' excuse to fall back on. A popular excuse I've seen for Kylo is "Luke taught him! It's one of the lessons at the Academy!"

Poor Rey. If only Luke had taught her too in between sipping all that blue milk.

I look forward to more variations on force ghost shenanigans. Yoda calling down lightning was interesting. I wonder if we can have an antagonist who is a force ghost for the entirety of a trilogy. Like, a Sith who has managed to do the impossible, to carry his consciousness after death. How do you defeat a Sith ghost!?

sorry man, i didn't read the whole post, because mine was a joke.

i really dont care about the mechanics of "ghosts"

it is such a fucking shame it became a "technique"

but thats what gerogie wanted for some reason

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
All Jedi should fade away when they die automatically. I've always disliked the idea of it being a technique, and in fact the larger technique-ification of the Force, splitting it up into discrete 'powers' that you have to study and take tests on. The Force is the Force and you do whatever you want with it as long as you truly believe you can.

Reject Wookieepedia, embrace the things Yoda actually says in the movie :P

(btw I don't think the TROS scene is making any kind of statement about whether Rey would have faded away or not. She had to hang around for a little while so they could do the lifeforce thing with Ben. It's just anime time dilation.)

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Incorrect, his body vanished when he died. Luke burned only his armor.

This is canon as per "Star Wars: The Story of Darth Vader" :)
This?
latest

Yeah okay. 🙄

And it still didn't vanish immediately on screen like everyone else's immediately. Luke is just staring at his dead body and presumably still dragging it into the shuttle.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I'm reading Rinzler's Making of ROTJ now. Here's Lucas's opening text from his very first rough draft:

The rebellion is doomed. Spies loyal to the Old Republic have sent word of two new armored space stations under construction.

A desperate plan to destroy the dreaded Death Stars, and end the tyranny of the Empire, has been put into effect.

A group of commandos, led by Princess Leia, has made its way into the very heart of the Galactic Empire in an attempt to land on a moon orbiting the dreaded Imperial Capitol of Had Abbadon...

Also I was surprised to learn the original title actually was Return of the Jedi, but when Lucas told producer Howard Kazanjian, the guy told Lucas it wasn't as exciting as the previous two film titles, so a couple days later Lucas changed it to Revenge.

My thoughts while reading this: "Shut the fuck up Kazanjian, nobody cares what you think!"

Here's an excerpt from the draft, Lucas still playing around with the whole concept of force ghosts:

BEN
There will come a time when you must destroy your father or join him.

LUKE
I know.

BEN
The longer you wait, the more difficult it will become. Time is running out for me. Soon I must rejoin the material world or I will become one with the Force.

LUKE
Come back, Ben, I need your help.

BEN
I am of greater use to you now, than if I returned to your level. My corporeal self is old and Vader is far too strong. Here I can limit his use of the Force.​

This ending....

Luke sits on a log with his head in his hands. The sounds of the celebration only serve to make him feel worse. A familiar voice breaks his melancholy.

BEN
Luke, you should be celebrating. The Emperor is gone and there is a future for the galaxy.

Luke looks up and sees Ben move out of the darkness into the moonlit glade. He is not a shimmering image, but real flesh and blood. Luke stands in surprise.

LUKE
Ben, you've come back!

BEN
My need to stay in the netherworld has been resolved. Your father turned to the good side and I was able to disrupt his journey.

Luke turns to see an old man emerge from the darkness of the forest.

BEN
Here is the good Skywalker. My old friend and your father...

Luke rushes to his father and embraces him. Yoda steps into the glen and looks up at them.

YODA
A reason for celebration this is ...
The joyous celebration is in full swing. Everyone is dancing and singing. Han and Leia dance arm and arm. Luke, his father, and Ben laugh as little Artoo spins around in circles to the music. Chewie slaps Lando on the back, almost knocking him over.

Threepio is carried on the shoulders of eight Ewaks in a litter. He is a little confused and dismayed at all the attention he is getting. The furry little Ewaks set the golden droid down on a raised platform and bow before him as the dancing continues. Several young female Ewaks place a garland of flowers around Threepio's head, and he waves at the crowd.

Quietly watching the festivities from the side is Yoda, the Jedi Master. He scans the crowd picking out Artoo, Threepio, Lando and Chewie, Han and Leia, and finally Ben, Luke and his father. He lets out a great sigh.

dDyBgV.gif

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading Rinzler's Making of ROTJ now. Here's Lucas's opening text from his very first rough draft:

Also I was surprised to learn the original title actually was Return of the Jedi, but when Lucas told producer Howard Kazanjian, the guy told Lucas it wasn't as exciting as the previous two film titles, so a couple days later Lucas changed it to Revenge.

My thoughts while reading this: "Shut the fuck up Kazanjian, nobody cares what you think!"

Here's an excerpt from the draft, Lucas still playing around with the whole concept of force ghosts:

This ending....

dDyBgV.gif
TWO Death Stars? :o

And yeah, this ending is great and emotional in isolation, but realistically I don't think Leia and co. would be cool with Anakin joining them in the celebration lol

Also this seems to confirm that Yoda was originally "the Jedi Master", with everyone else a Jedi Knight. There was no rank system with multiple Jedi Masters and whatnot.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
TWO Death Stars? :o

And yeah, this ending is great and emotional in isolation, but realistically I don't think Leia and co. would be cool with Anakin joining them in the celebration lol

Two Death Stars cracked me up. It's really cool though, how Lucas's first draft of each film is pretty close to the final product. They all get polished and refined during the rewriting process, but the basic structure of each film remained intact.

Although in ROTJ case, Leia does not take part in the rescue of Han at the beginning, she's off having speeder adventures with new characters. I'm gonna keep reading to see how her character morphs through each draft, considering how annoyed Carrie was at how little her character had to do in ESB.

Force ghosts coming back to life seems too OP too lol. I like the Buddhist idea of reincarnation he was going for though.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
While reading the making of ROTJ, it occurred to me I've never seen any kind of discussion about Richard Marquand's contribution to SW. Which is a shame.

"There was a great moment in one of those sessions," Marquand remembers. "George suddenly said to me, 'Who's going to play Admiral Ackbar? I just decided he should be a creature, so you can pick out Admiral Ackbar.' I said, 'George, I think this should be your decision. He's one of your new characters here.' And he said, 'No, you choose.'

"So I picked the most delicious, wonderful creature out of the whole lot, this great big wonderful Calamari man with a red face and eyes on the side. I think it's good to tell kids that good people aren't necessarily good-looking people and that bad people aren't necessarily ugly people. One or two people around the table, who shall be nameless, said they thought it was a terrible idea: 'People are just going to laugh when they see this guy.' "

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017

1. I didn't know Ben Burtt did second unit direction on the PT.

2. Order 66 was originally going to happen in Episode II? (I reckon it wasn't a 'every Jedi gets killed'-scene like we got in III, but more the first victims) I can't help but think that would actually have been better (not in the Episode II we got, but in a different story and structure). The start of the Jedi-genocide would be a fantastic 'all has gone to hell' moment at the end of act II of the trilogy, and in Episode III you could explore the effect of it. Surviving Jedi still being hunted, increasing suspicions in Obi Wan and Yoda if Anakin has turned to the dark. The Clone Wars still raging in the background while more and more Jedi get snuffed.

It would of course mean Anakin's turn would've had to happen sooner, or that he would turn while the killings are already happening. Which would also ask for a wildly different story over the whole trilogy. Man, the PT wasted so much potential for a compelling 'fall of a hero' story.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

2. Order 66 was originally going to happen in Episode II? (I reckon it wasn't a 'every Jedi gets killed'-scene like we got in III, but more the first victims) I can't help but think that would actually have been better (not in the Episode II we got, but in a different story and structure). The start of the Jedi-genocide would be a fantastic 'all has gone to hell' moment at the end of act II of the trilogy, and in Episode III you could explore the effect of it. Surviving Jedi still being hunted, increasing suspicions in Obi Wan and Yoda if Anakin has turned to the dark. The Clone Wars still raging in the background while more and more Jedi get snuffed.

It would of course mean Anakin's turn would've had to happen sooner, or that he would turn while the killings are already happening. Which would also ask for a wildly different story over the whole trilogy. Man, the PT wasted so much potential for a compelling 'fall of a hero' story.

Anakin doesn't necessarily have to turn at the exact same moment order 66 happens. The Clone Wars being between the Jedi and the clones could've worked with good writing. Especially if they hadn't wasted an entire film on Anakin's childhood where it was revealed that he built C3PO before blowing up a space station by accident.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Anakin doesn't necessarily have to turn at the exact same moment order 66 happens. The Clone Wars being between the Jedi and the clones could've worked with good writing. Especially if they hadn't wasted an entire film on Anakin's childhood where it was revealed that he built C3PO before blowing up a space station by accident.

Yeah, that's what I mean by 'turning while the killings are already happening', but I think it might be interesting if he was instrumental to it. Anyway, his turn comes way to late (and way to sudden) in the trilogy to actually work well imo. A turn at the end of II would leave III to explore the fallout of it.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, maybe? The great thing about finding out different stages of the creative process is that it causes us to dream. And in our dreams everything seems better. You are making an assumption that Anakin would turn sooner. Not an assumption I would make. His dark path starts clearly in AotC when he slaughters the Tuskens. I don't think Order 66 earlier would have changed too much of his arc. RotS went through a lot of changes in post anyway. Things would've changed in RotS but it's impossible to say how an earlier Order 66 would have changed initial planning with characters arcs, and then how Lucas would've recalibrated after production. There are too many variables.

But that's all the trick of looking at art when it's in the process of being made. This concept of "original idea" is deceptive, especially for someone like Lucas who works by trying a lot of different things at every level of production. He throws around all kinds of ideas and allows his team the same freedom, and that's up to release. So we have all this material that doesn't make it into the final piece (as final as Lucas lets it be for the moment) and people treat it like some gospel of "this was how it was supposed to be".

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Order 66 at the end of AOTC would have been a great cliffhanger.

btw, I'm loving the brainstorming sessions in Making of ROTJ:

Lucas: If the Emperor does pull out a secret weapon and the weapon is working, and they wipe out half the fleet, it becomes even more intense.Then Vader knocks the Emperor into the gun and he is killed by his own gun, and in the process the gun blows up in a big explosion. Luke is all right, Vader is coming apart. I think it'd be great for Luke to try to help Vader while the thing is blowing up. And then Vader gets his cape caught in the door and says, "Leave without me" and Luke takes his mask off. The mask is the very last thing—and then Luke puts it on and says, "Now I am Vader." Surprise! The ultimate twist. "Now I will go and kill the fleet and I will rule the universe."
Kasdan: That's what I think should happen.
Lucas: No, no, no. Come on, this is for kids.
Kasdan: I think you should kill Luke and have Leia take over.
Lucas: You don't want to kill Luke.
Kasdan: Okay, then kill Yoda.
Lucas: I don't want to kill Yoda. You don't have to kill people. You're a product of the 1980s. You don't go around killing people. It's not nice.
Kasdan: No, I'm not. I'm trying to give the story some kind of an edge to it.
Lucas: I know you're trying to make it more realistic, which is what I tried to do when I killed Ben—but I managed to take the edge off of it—and it's what I tried to do when I froze Han. But this is the end of the trilogy and we've already established that there are real dangers. I don't think we have to kill anyone to prove it.
Kasdan: No one has been hurt.
Lucas: Ben and Han, they've both—Luke got his hand cut off.
Kasdan: Ben and Han are fine. Luke got a new hand two cuts later.
Lucas: By killing somebody, I think you alienate the audience.
Kasdan: I'm saying that the movie has more emotional weight if someone you love is lost along the way; the journey has more impact.
Lucas: I don't like that and I don't believe that.
Kasdan: Well, that's all right.
Lucas: I have always hated that in movies, when you go along and one of the main characters gets killed. This is a fairytale. You want every body to live happily ever after and nothing bad happens to anybody.
Kasdan: I hate it when characters get killed, too.
Lucas: Oh, you do.
Kasdan: I do.
Lucas: I resent it and I resented it when I was a little kid. I would watch and there would be these five guys and one of them would be the funny clown and halfway through, one of them gets killed. Why did they kill the lead? He was the best character.
Marquand: I felt that about Ben the first time I saw Star Wars.
Kasdan: But that one worked like crazy.
Lucas: Yes, I know. But we've done that. The same thing with Han. The biggest reaction we got was when people asked, "How can you leave the movie half finished?" Well, the main thrust of this one is that it has to be fun.
Kasdan: All of our material here is not fun.
Lucas: Well, I know we've got the serious side.
Kasdan: We have a lot of grim stuff here.
Lucas: Well, that's why we have to concentrate on the fun.
Kasdan: There isn't much fun stuff. There is the Jabba stuff.
Lucas: That's fun.
Kasdan: And the Ewok stuff and that's it.
Lucas: There are three parts to the movie: Jabba, the Ewoks, and Luke and the Emperor. Luke and the Emperor are not fun and the other two are. I think that we can roll along with the fun parts and still have this undercurrent of a fairly serious study of father and son, and good and evil. The whole concept of the original film is that Luke redeems his father, which is the classic fairytale: a good father/bad father who the good son will turn back into the good father. We can have a serious line and still have a fairly light film.The whole point of the film, the whole emotion that I am trying to get at the end of this film, is for you to be real uplifted, emotionally and spiritually, and feel absolutely good about life. That is the greatest thing that we could possibly ever do.

Marquand: Howard [Kazanjian] suggested that Han should be blind after he is melted.
Kasdan: Temporary blindness that slowly wears off.
Lucas: But during the skiff battle, he is blind.
Kasdan: On the skiff, it's great: He almost steps off the skiff into the Sarlacc pit because he can't see. Luke is taking care of everybody and Han is sort of standing around, which gives Harrison a neat thing to play; he's never played a blind man.
Marquand: Every actor likes to play a blind man. They all just love to.
Lucas: Maybe we could make him drunk, too. The drunk blind man. Cut off his legs, like his legs didn't come out of the carbon freeze, and put him on one of those little skateboards and put a cup around his neck.
Kasdan: It could help the scene when he comes to life and embraces Leia, and he just feels her face.
Marquand: There won't be a dry eye in the house.
Kasdan: He won't be able to see Jabba give her a big wet one.
Lucas: On the skiff, Han could be swinging a bat around. He grabs onto something while Luke is going into action and says, "I'll get them!" He swings around and misses them, and then he swings again and misses them. Luke is distracted while Boba [Fett] gets up—when Han whacks him one and sends him like a homerun into the pit. That would be one of those blind swordsman/samurai assassin things.
Kasdan: George has come a long way in his attitudes!

lol @ the skateboard. I think half of the stuff coming out of George's mouth is dry sarcasm, but it's hard to tell sometimes.

Lucas: I got an idea you can use with Artoo: What if Luke is about to walk the plank—"Well, so long, old buddy"—and he whistles, as you do in those movies where you whistle for your dog, and then you cut to the top deck of the ship. Artoo is there and a little launcher pops out of his head.Then Luke goes over to the plank, drops, jumps back onto the ship, grabs the sword, and starts fighting. We do the acrobatic thing where he flips himself back up.
Kazanjian: Mark lost his lazer sword didn't he?
Lucas: He did lose his lazer sword, when his father cut his hand off.
Kazanjian: So whose lazer is he using? Should I have brought it up?
Lucas: You should because that's what everybody will ask.
Marquand: Well, it didn't occur to me.
Lucas: The way I was explaining it in the scripts before was that he made another one. But it's going to be impossible, given the structure of the way the film is now, to explain where that lazer sword came from.
Marquand: It's a line of dialogue later.
Lucas: Well, I don't know if we even need to explain it. The worst thing about that is you get a letter in Starlog magazine. Big deal.
Marquand: He made it, that's the answer!
Lucas: That's not going to drop the audience out of the film. People aren't going to stand up and say, "I just don't buy that, I'm leaving." But you will get lots of letters, so we'll make a form letter explaining that Luke made it.

haha, George doesn't have time for our nitpicky shit.

Lucas: Anakin Skywalker started hanging out with the Emperor, who at this point nobody knew was that bad, because he was an elected official.
Kasdan: Was he a Jedi?
Lucas: No, he was a politician. Richard M. Nixon was his name. He subverted the senate and finally took over and became an imperial guy and he was really evil. But he pretended to be a really nice guy. He sucked Luke's father into the dark side.
Kasdan: The Force was available to anyone who could hook into it?
Lucas: Yes, everybody can do it.
Kasdan: Not just the Jedi?
Lucas: It's just the Jedi who take the time to do it.
Marquand: They use it as a technique.
Lucas: Like yoga. If you want to take the time to do it, you can do it; but the ones that really want to do it are the ones who are into that kind of thing. Also like karate. Also another misconception is that Yoda teaches Jedi, but he is like a guru; he doesn't go out and fight anybody.
Kasdan: A Jedi Master is a Jedi isn't he?
Lucas: Well, he is a teacher, not a real Jedi. Understand that?
Kasdan: I understand what you're saying, but I can't believe it; I am in shock.
Lucas: It's true, absolutely true, not that it makes any difference to the story.
Kasdan: You mean he wouldn't be any good in a fight?
Lucas: Not with Darth Vader he wouldn't.
Kasdan: I accept it, but I don't like it.

DAMNIT GEORGE, why didn't you stick to the concept of Yoda not being a fighter with the prequels? I hate Yoda wielding a lightsaber.

Lucas: Well, anyway, Luke's father gets subverted by the Emperor. He gets a little weird at home and his wife begins to figure out that things are going wrong and she confides in Ben, who is his mentor. On his missions through the galaxies, Anakin has been going off doing his Jedi thing and a lot of Jedi have been getting killed—and it's because they turn their back on him and he cuts them down. The president is turning into an Emperor and Luke's mother suspects that something has happened to her husband. She is pregnant. Anakin gets worse and worse, and finally Ben has to fight him and he throws him down into a volcano and Vader is all beat up.
Now, when he falls into the pit, his other arm goes and his leg and there is hardly anything left of him by the time the Emperor's troops fish him out of the drink. Then when Ben finds out that Vader has been fished out and is in the hands of the Empire, he is worried about it. He goes back to Vader's wife and explains that Anakin is the bad guy, the one killing all the Jedi.
When he goes back his wife, Mrs. Skywalker has had the kids, the twins, so she has these two little babies who are six months old or so. So everybody has to go into hiding. The Skywalker line is very strong with the Force, so Ben says, "I think we should protect the kids, because they maybe able to help us right the wrong that your husband has created in the universe." And so Ben takes one and gives him to a couple out there on Tatooine and he gets his little hideout in the hills and he watches him grow. Ben can't raise Luke himself, because he's a wanted man. Leia and Luke's mother go to Alderaan and are taken in by the king there, who is a friend of Ben's. She dies shortly thereafter and Leia is brought up by her foster parents. She knows that her real mother died.
Kasdan: She does know that?
Lucas: Yes, so we can bring that out when Luke is talking to her; she can say that her mother died when "I was two years old."

It's incredible to me that his idea of Anakin's downfall remained more or less intact all those years later when making the prequels. This whole transcript is from July 1981.

Lucas: The "other" could be explained by Yoda or described by Ben.We could save that for Ben.
Kasdan: Ben doesn't even know about it.
Lucas: Ben knows about it.
Kasdan: How come in Empire he says, "He is our last hope" and Yoda says, "No there is another."
Lucas: He discounts women because he is a male chauvinist pig.
Kazanjian: Well, he forgot.
Kasdan: Wouldn't that be weird that Ben has forgotten?
Lucas: She isn't trained, she isn't ready and Ben wasn't thinking. Let's assume that Ben knows there is the other.
Kazanjian: He has to.
Lucas: The other thing is, I think you can make Ben take the blame for Vader. "I should have given him more training. I should have sent him to Yoda, but I thought I could do it myself. It was my own pride in thinking that I could be as good a teacher as Yoda. I wish that I could stop the pestilence that I've unleashed on the galaxy." His burden is that he feels responsible for everything that Vader has done.

This is what I'm talking about the sarcasm. I can vividly imagine George saying that line with a straight face and monotone voice.

Marquand: I had an idea about these Death Stars, which Larry doesn't like. I wonder if this is a great thing for the Emperor to know: That these half-built Death Stars do work and they are complete.
Lucas: The one thing that Death Stars do, which I like, is they create a time lock: The rebels have to attack before the Death Stars are finished.They can't wait until next year. They have to attack Had Abbadon. One thing I also visually like about the Death Stars, if they are spidery half-finished things, is then the rebels can fly through them.
Marquand: Exactly.
Lucas: Somehow we work it out that the Death Stars are turned toward the planet of Had Abbadon. The idea of those Death Stars is: one, a timelock and, two, as the device that blows up the capitol and is the Emperor's downfall. That's how we connect him to those Death Stars.
Kasdan: Why do you want two of them?
Lucas: We don't have to have two of them, we can have one.
Kasdan: My problem is that it's complicated. I like the idea of it being a trick, I like it very much. The Death Star looks half finished, but it's not.That's a lovely idea, but it should be only one, because we're getting a lot of targets here.

Good job Marquand and Kasdan.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, maybe? The great thing about finding out different stages of the creative process is that it causes us to dream. And in our dreams everything seems better. You are making an assumption that Anakin would turn sooner. Not an assumption I would make. His dark path starts clearly in AotC when he slaughters the Tuskens. I don't think Order 66 earlier would have changed too much of his arc. RotS went through a lot of changes in post anyway. Things would've changed in RotS but it's impossible to say how an earlier Order 66 would have changed initial planning with characters arcs, and then how Lucas would've recalibrated after production. There are too many variables.

But that's all the trick of looking at art when it's in the process of being made. This concept of "original idea" is deceptive, especially for someone like Lucas who works by trying a lot of different things at every level of production. He throws around all kinds of ideas and allows his team the same freedom, and that's up to release. So we have all this material that doesn't make it into the final piece (as final as Lucas lets it be for the moment) and people treat it like some gospel of "this was how it was supposed to be".

It's not dreaming. I know this moment would've taken place during the arena fight and would not have changed a lot to what we got, though it would probably have changed a lot for III (which Lucas started writing after II was finished. . And I'm absolutely not treating it as some sort of gospel, lol. I'll never treat a cut scene as canon and I hate the sort of 'this is what truly happened' clickbait articles or videos basing themselves on some cut concept or something.

I'm just imagining if I would write the PT, what it would take to have Order 66 at the end of Episode II and to better build up the fall of Anakin (which regardless of the Tusken moment as a little set-up is fully pushed to III and executed disapointingly). And I believe that beat would fit better at the end of the second act, with it being a sort of point of no return for the character in his fall. This would mean that after act I is setting up the character as a young Jedi, with hints of his inevitable demise, Episode II would be the part he is seduced more and more and makes that final choice. Act III would be the fall-out of that decision.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The production values of the light of the Jedi audiobook had me hooked. Especially with the final battle. And reexpericing the story again really helped put into perspective just how different the Jedi used to be.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone! I'm currently streaming some Battlefront 2 as it's Triple XP day! Would appreciate y'all stopping by, dropping a follow, and we can talk about Star Wars!

OP
OP
WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
After finishing Republic Commando for the first time I can safely say the Clone Wars would have ended much sooner if the game's Super Battle Droids featured elsewhere. The term 'sponge' doesn't do them justice! I did enjoy it though.