• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How will AMD and Amazon open on Wednesday?

• AMD + more than 5%

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • AMD +/- 5%

• AMD - more than 5%

• AMZN + more than 5%

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • AMZN +/- 5%

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • AMZN - more than 5%

• Shrug

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
DmPCyKbX0AILdzm.jpg

EPISODE III

THE RISE OF INFLATION

It is a period of relative calm. The virus has been mostly defeated, life is returning to normal, and stocks have staged a historic recovery.

New threats are rising. Emperor Biden wants to tax corporations up to 28%, and inflation is surging. Is it transitory, as the Fed claims? Is it "contained"? We shall see...

We're here for stocks discussion, including news, market commentary, technical analysis and trading ideas. We do not promote pump and dumps, which includes penny stocks and meme stocks, especially if such posts lack substance. There's a separate OT for crypto talk.

Note: Any actions you take based on posts here are your own responsibility. Be aware of your own risk tolerance, and be sure you understand the risks of any trade you make. We don't like to see posts talking about large dollar numbers in relation to portfolios or trades, as it can lead to FOMO behavior and it isn't useful information for anyone else.

Do you have questions about stocks, options or trading? Ask away. If you're new and looking for where to open an account, we'll generally recommend anywhere other than Robinhood. They're known to be unreliable in the times you may need them most, and they use FIFO which is terrible for your tax management.

W3f0JvFSvOjW4flE2-SPx2i0-eZSbDGwIMOtKOilx0g.png

Options are a great way to bet on upside with capped potential losses, or to manage risk with covered calls or hedging, or to scale into a position. Theta, gamma, vega?

18i0ot.jpg

www.investopedia.com

The Basics of Covered Calls

Covered calls can be used to generate income and increase investment returns. Learn how this strategy can lower risk while increasing profits.

1qxqp2.jpg

Or does it? This is a good site for charts:

www.tradingview.com

TradingView — Track All Markets

Where the world charts, chats and trades markets. We're a supercharged super-charting platform and social network for traders and investors. Free to sign up.

If you have a trade idea for pork belly futures or something else, expand on that, let's hear why. Posts with little more than rocket ship emojis are not appreciated.

Prefer a much slower pace?

Retirement focused discussion here:

Retirement Era

Previous OT's:

OT2 Taking SPY private at $420. Funding secured.
OT1

Last edited:

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
the MOASS of threads

AMC going nuclear after hours still somehow O_O

I predict a massive sell off tomorrow opening at open. It briefly touched $36 before selling off sharply last Friday morning.

Like, none of today's run-up has anything to do with the short squeeze that WSB was predicting. I don't think a short squeeze will ever happen.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never question Texas boot buyers you heathens.

Once again the dirty commies have a higher post count count than the capitalists.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Thread new? Awesome. Here's to hoping we're in for some "good" times that do not resemble the dark and bleak red days we had in the past few months.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Got my inflation covered by buying a condo this year! Not sure my stocks can hold up with the inflation rate though.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
In OT1 we had a wild ride with Tesla and the beginning of a love affair with ARK. In OT2 we had a wild ride with GameStop and AMC then the subsequent end of a love affair with ARK (or Cathey Woods more specifically). I am curious what insanity OT3 will live to see.

OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
When AMC returns to reality (an analyst this week said it's worth $1, based on EBITDA), at least folks will have a free popcorn. Although as the article states, you don't need to be a shareholder to get that popcorn.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
At least AMC used this craziness to save their business. Can't say the same for Game Stop.

OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
did they save their business? I thought they still had a mountain of debt.
They do. They bought themselves some time, but the business model is still dire and getting worse with their exclusivity window down to zero days. From the article below:

That means just five institutional investors hauled in more than 16% of the $14.8 billion in gains from AMC stock this year so far.

And that's not counting the largest shareholder which sold out of almost their entire position, probably their entire position, last month.

Remarkably, AMC stock continues to soar in a league of its own. None of AMC's chief movie-theater rivals are seeing any similar gains.

Shares of competing theater chain Cinemark Holdings (CNK) are up just 40.2% this year. That makes Cinemark worth just $2.9 billion, or 81% less than AMC. Never mind that Cinemark has only roughly 50% fewer theaters and screens than AMC's 1,000 theaters and 10,700 screens.

And big-screen operator IMAX (IMAX) is a small fry in this situation. Shares of IMAX are up just 23.6% this year, making the company worth just $1.3 billion.

Much is on the line for AMC stock this year. The company is aggressively using proceeds from selling stock to pay down debt. AMC ended the first quarter with $5.4 billion in debt and just $813 million in cash. The chain still carries a low junk-bond rating of CCC-, says S&P Global.

And AMC is expected to lose another $1.5 billion in 2021 and nearly $400 million in 2022, analysts say. It's not seen making money in 2023, either.

The company reports its second quarter results on Aug. 5. Analysts are calling for a quarterly loss of more than $500 million. Analysts also think AMC stock will only be worth 5.11 a share in 12 months — nearly 84% less than Tuesday's 31.90 closing price.

Time will tell if this showdown will have a happy ending or not.

www.investors.com

Five Investors Hit $4.9 Billion AMC Stock Jackpot

What's more amazing than watching communication services AMC stock jump more than 2,851% in just five months? Making $4.9 billion on the gain.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
I really wonder what it'll take for AMC to drop again.

Someone absolutely dumping their shares hard? Another more enticing meme target causing people to rotate their cash away from AMC?

less

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus fuck at AMC. I am baffled at it rising so much. Congrats to all those made mad money off of it lmao. Hope you all get out before it crashes.

kazinova

Oct 27, 2017
I've sworn off the meme stocks, but the FOMO is real, at this point I took them all off my watchlists and do my best to ignore.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
I've sworn off the meme stocks, but the FOMO is real, at this point I took them all off my watchlists and do my best to ignore.

Nahhh, the risk at this point is not worth the reward. If it was still at $12 or $160 (in GME's case) maaaaaybe, but right now? Not worth it.

I'm happy for the holders of GME and AMC but man...it really stagnates everything else across the market haha AAPL is just dead. It won't do anything. Then there's a big sell off and the money is pumped right back into memes.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
$AMC still popping off? Can't wait till the market opens today.

www.cnbc.com

AMC plans to reward retail investors with free popcorn and exclusive screenings

AMC launched a new portal on its website just for its retail investors. The site contains "special offers" and company updates just for shareholders.

That's... smart. AMC needs people to visit theatres and this incentivizes just that. In fact people might feel obligated to use those perks. Also gives extra value on stock for retail investors, increasing stock price and reducing selling pressure of it.

Not sure how effective it will be in grand scheme of things but it does seem like an easy win-win with very little investment from AMC.